Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I could believe dean as a "plow whomever" guy but I've never seen that presented in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickyboi
Dec 25, 2005

permanent adhesive
Yeah any romantic/sexual stuff definitely is not canon. It's like when Dean and Charlie say "I love you" to each other, you understand fully well that it's completely non-sexual because Charlie is explicitly not hetero. And Cas only had sexual feelings when he was human.

I've always read Dean, Sam and Cas to be slightly homophobic... like in the Golem episode when Aaron told Dean he thought they "had a moment" it made Dean pretty uncomfortable. Anytime when something like that happens it makes them act confused and awkward. And all those times when Dean had to say offhand "I don't judge" translates to "I don't go that way but I am totally cool if you are".

While I wouldn't call it queerbaiting, the writers obviously know what they're doing (remember Destiel in "Fan Fiction). Since they say they make the show for the fans, and since it's coming to an end, they're basically throwing a bone for the internet fandom to squee at. Most people know how to read that scene, and for the shippers they can go nuts if they want!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'd say the series makes fun of their fans more than pander.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Can an iridescent wavelength the size of the Chrysler building even have a sexual orientation?

I'm going to call him ortho for orthogonal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Accretionist posted:

Can an iridescent wavelength the size of the Chrysler building even have a sexual orientation?

No, but it an iridescent wave is capable of literally any of the things the character does, so this is kind of dumb.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It took all of 30nseconds of screen time to remind me that I don't care for Felicia Day all that much.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
For whatever dumb reason it's my favorite line of the show and it's that Castiel spent a year between seasons 5 and 6 as a "multi- dimensional waveleangth of celestial intent" and his people skills are rusty.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/Stands/status/1325820086352031750
YOGO

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Rando posted:

For whatever dumb reason it's my favorite line of the show and it's that Castiel spent a year between seasons 5 and 6 as a "multi- dimensional waveleangth of celestial intent" and his people skills are rusty.

DESTIEL has me picturing The Fountain.

These two seconds right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C69RtZzKsFE&t=346s

(Pretty good movie, btw, it's basically a meditation on death.)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Rando posted:

Don't forget the air quotes. That's my favorite part of the whole thing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Don't forget the air quotes. That's my favorite part of the whole thing.

I had to look this up because its been so long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHgHydxd4Bw

Really want to do a whole rewatch of the series after it finishes, preferably once they come out with some super ultra bluray set in the shape of Baby because the early seasons really are the best and I miss just how funny the show can be.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A group simulwatch of the good seasons/episodes would be fun.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

It took all of 30nseconds of screen time to remind me that I don't care for Felicia Day all that much.

This was the episode I noticed her and Misha (unlike Jensen and Jared), are actually aging.

And Bobby--Jim Beaver has looked the same for 20 years.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm all for actresses making it big in sci-fi and fantasy, which skews blokey a lot, but I have to ask "why her?" w r t Felicia Day. She's an okay actress at most given the small sample I've seen. (magicians and supernatural)

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Felicia Day was better at the original, now dead Charlie. I think she's trying to play Hell World Charlie more straight and serious and it's sort of blah.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:laffo: Holy poo poo Chuck just evaporating that dog.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I think I loved that but also hated that. The exposition dump explaining what all went down felt a bit rushed, I'll probably have to watch it again. Real confused about next week's episode- how was this not the season finale?

Why didn't they even ask Jack to bring Cass back? Clearly God can bring people out of the Empty since Chuck brought Lucifer back, so wtf

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 13, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I think I loved that but also hated that. The exposition dump explaining what all went down felt a bit rushed, I'll probably have to watch it again. Real confused about next week's episode- how was this not the season finale?

Why didn't they even ask Jack to bring Cass back? Clearly God can bring people out of the Empty since Chuck brought Lucifer back, so wtf

It feels incredibly rushed and not well thought out, as if they were pretty much backed into a corner plot wise. It really wouldn't surprise me if it was rewritten during the time they had when everything was shut down. It also felt like everyone had pretty much kinda checked out.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I cannot believe they did a montage on the episode BEFORE the series finale. Seriously, I can't fathom what next week is going to be like.

Also it kinda sucks that they followed up on the emotional weight of the Dean/Castiel final scene with . . . this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There were definitely rewrites after covid stopped production.

Next week is supposed to be a 2 hour finale, and I think it's gonna be an episode, and some interviews with the cast and crew and whatnot.

Wasn't as big an emotional gut punch as last week's episode, but it ended up going kind of how I expected it to go.

Hopefully after the series ends we will get an unedited version of what the planned ending was.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, that was a thing that happened. I guess the resolution was kind of set up with Jack killing all those plants recently, but I don't think that's nearly enough. I'm kind of half expecting this to be a massive fake-out, because that was just way too easy and convenient. I don't think I could come up with a satisfying resolution to a story where the villain is literally omnipotent, but that certainly wasn't it.

And even after Jack becomes the new god, he's just going to gently caress off and leave everything as it is? I can see an argument for not bringing dead people back because where do you stop with that? But why not, I don't know, get rid of all the monsters? Or do literally anything to help anyone or prevent any suffering? The lesson he took from all this wasn't "do whatever you can to make the world a better place" it was "just let people handle their own poo poo, not my problem"?

Jiro posted:

It feels incredibly rushed and not well thought out, as if they were pretty much backed into a corner plot wise. It really wouldn't surprise me if it was rewritten during the time they had when everything was shut down.
If this was the rewritten version, how poo poo must the original ending have been?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I was not too surprised with how things turned out, I really didn't see them killing off Sam and Dean or making them the new God/Darkness. Part of that I guess is I am cynical and know they will probably try for a movie or limited series a few years down the road, and don't know how they could go forward if they made those changes. I read they did not need to change much about the last two episodes due to COVID, mostly just having to remove some of the characters due to actors availability, but I hope somebody does leak what the original script was.

All in all I guess it was an ok way to go out. "Endings are hard" as Chuck said some 37 seasons ago.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i'm glad they went with the house ending

i expected this episode to be a fake out and that gabriel was god the whole time, and i'm kinda glad that didn't happen.

the lucifer/michael/god plot should have been the whole back half of this season imo, around the MOTW. they got some meta jabs in, and by god is chuck a bad dialogue writer.

i'm satisfied, lets skip next week.

were there no shots of john in the montage?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I don’t understand why that wasn’t the finale

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He was in the dinner scene during it, at the very least.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

I don’t understand why that wasn’t the finale
Yeah I have no idea where the actual finale is going now. Hour-long clip show?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the finale is going to be a closing story on the various still alive members of the gang, like Jody and the girls, Bobby, etc. as well as other bits with cast interviews and stuff. Supposed to be 2 hours so it's gonna be long, whatever it is.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Finale’s gonna be two hours that, at long last, resolve the Chicago spinoff.

Crutch
Apr 22, 2010
I spent years (YEARS) convinced that Dean would become the new Death at the end of the series. It all lines up.

I’m shocked this didn’t happen.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Slamhound posted:

Finale’s gonna be two hours that, at long last, resolve the Chicago spinoff.

lolled irl

That is the only episode I skip when I rewatch this show, it is soooooo bad

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Possible it’ll be something to do with the empty. Hope not.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Quotey posted:

Possible it’ll be something to do with the empty. Hope not.

it's 100% going to be this. it's the theme of the title sequence this season, it's still awake, and they'll never leave castiel dead. my guess is chuck summons it somehow, cause he's petty, and still alive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chuck just snipes Sam and Dean from a building as they're walking out of the bunker.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Honestly leaving him alive, while good revenge, is incredibly dumb. If he can't snap his fingers to do stuff, yay, but he's still got the whole cosmic level of knowledge. Jack didn't redo the big bang so I'm assuming the rules are still in play. Dude could do some damage just with basic magic.

Wondering if he brought back all the monsters too, or in cases of people like Garth and his family, just cured em.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone else is gonna merc Chuck. He's gonna have his ultimate revenge in motion and original Bobby (who is now an agent if death or something) shows up and cleavers his head off.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think there is about a 13% chance Jesus appears in the finale.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I figured it would be a time jump. 10 yrs later maybe they moved on and something happens.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I'm hoping it's all of these theories, but with the dandy winchesters while real sam and dean died of alcohol poisoning in the bunker right after this last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Gonna be Sam and Deans kids fighting monsters decades after their dads retired and Chuck figured out a way to get sone power back through crossroad demons. Do I hear spin-off?