Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

Putting boats into trays would make my life a lot easier. I should give that a shot.

Now I want to play Feast again, thanks.

lmk if you want me to take a picture of my tray layout at some point. It is based on two assumptions: first, that the box contains more boats than I need, and second, that plant and meat don't really need to be separate, nor do green and blue.

Oh the other thing that I did is make a foamcore tray that's the width of the box and like 3/4" deep to hold the resource bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Anyone got them Discord invite links? I can't seem to generate one myself.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

lmk if you want me to take a picture of my tray layout at some point. It is based on two assumptions: first, that the box contains more boats than I need, and second, that plant and meat don't really need to be separate, nor do green and blue.

Oh the other thing that I did is make a foamcore tray that's the width of the box and like 3/4" deep to hold the resource bits.

Definitely post it. Always curious to see how people are organizing their Feast containers.

Also, I've started watching the Expanse and I remember hearing reasonably good things about the game, has that opinion stayed strong or degraded with time?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ropes4u posted:

Nice video, slightly disappointed we didn’t get to see the Boston Terrier :)

Yeah when I do my 'thoughts' video, I'll have at least one of them with me. The Boston will probably only make a quick appearance, he doesn't like to stay in one place for long :).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

FulsomFrank posted:

Putting boats into trays would make my life a lot easier. I should give that a shot.

Now I want to play Feast again, thanks.

Someone in the discord wanted these posted. AFfO tile trays. So space efficient you can fit The Norwegians in the same box.

Codeacious posted:

Anyone got them Discord invite links? I can't seem to generate one myself.

https://discord.gg/qVtPeSr8 This work? I generated it just now.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Yeah when I do my 'thoughts' video, I'll have at least one of them with me. The Boston will probably only make a quick appearance, he doesn't like to stay in one place for long :).

Our Boston only did what she wanted, but she was a great companion and she will always be missed. We now have a Boston / Pug mix that is a bit needy...

Back to the game, are you content with the spiral bound rule book?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Our Boston only did what she wanted, but she was a great companion and she will always be missed. We now have a Boston / Pug mix that is a bit needy...

Back to the game, are you content with the spiral bound rule book?

Yes in fact I may get one for Bonfire as well. It’s rule book is terribly constructed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

Definitely post it. Always curious to see how people are organizing their Feast containers.

Also, I've started watching the Expanse and I remember hearing reasonably good things about the game, has that opinion stayed strong or degraded with time?

larger special tiles are also bagged.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

My unboxing video for Anno 1800, I hope you folks like it, it's my first attempt :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhoUbcstXyA

If you wouldn't mind a little criticism? Make a script, even if it's just a list of components on a whiteboard. Most unboxing videos start with the box out of shrink for this reason; you can go through the components, make a note of everything you want to talk about, then put them back in reverse order. You can also run through it a couple of times for practice, so that when you record it you know what you're going to say. They're little things, but they won't cost anything apart from half an hour of prep time and they'll make everything look more professional.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you wouldn't mind a little criticism? Make a script, even if it's just a list of components on a whiteboard. Most unboxing videos start with the box out of shrink for this reason; you can go through the components, make a note of everything you want to talk about, then put them back in reverse order. You can also run through it a couple of times for practice, so that when you record it you know what you're going to say. They're little things, but they won't cost anything apart from half an hour of prep time and they'll make everything look more professional.

I will generally be using a script for some videos but for unboxing I want to be more authentic. If I do a video channel and I think I'm going to, I want the channel to reflect who I am, not necessarily to be distant and professional. I won't have a script for those but I will have notes, just like I do for the Game Brain podcast. I hope you can understand what I mean. The main thing for me is not to wander or waste space and I think I did a decent job of that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nothing wrong with making something targeted at other people who also groove on your wavelength. Making and creating stuff is cool.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Nothing wrong with making something targeted at other people who also groove on your wavelength. Making and creating stuff is cool.

The main thing is that I don't want to compete with those who are doing things in a more 'professional' manner. I don't think I have anything more to offer as a 'professional' than what's already out there. What I have is my experience and my extensive knowledge. So it's important to me that who I am can shine through.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Mr. Squishy posted:

https://discord.gg/qVtPeSr8 This work? I generated it just now.

That worked! Thanks.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Mayveena posted:

The main thing is that I don't want to compete with those who are doing things in a more 'professional' manner. I don't think I have anything more to offer as a 'professional' than what's already out there. What I have is my experience and my extensive knowledge. So it's important to me that who I am can shine through.

I prefer this style vastly, looking forward to see what you comes out of your channel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone have thoughts on Cryptid, especially at 2/3?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

It's minimum three players.

I would say that Cryptid is entertaining but fragile - one person failing to completely understand how the hints work will wreck it. It can also be a little random sometimes, particularly with five players. We had one game which was won on the first move. That was a combination of careless hints and dumb luck that will happen maybe once in 50 games under normal circumstances, but it is still quite possible for the game to end before everyone has had a turn.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
There's a 2 player variant where you basically do a 2-handed 4-player game, but I haven't tried it. It's perfectly fine with 3, although I've also had the experience of people getting lucky and ending it quick. Not the biggest loss though, it's a pretty short game anyway so you can just start a new one.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
:siren::spooky::drac:Vs Series - Friday the 13th aka Renfield's Revenge is a go!:drac::spooky::siren:

The whispers of Draculas impending resurrection hang in the air..
Can the team of Inspector's stop Renfield from drawing the blood he needs?..
Or will Renfield succeed in resurrecting his Master to exact this revenge..

On Friday the 13th Infinitum will take on a team of 3 Goons in
Whitehall Mstery
(Reskinned for Dracula purposes!)

Twitch Channel :siren:
https://twitch.tv/shallnoiseupon

-------------------------------------------
Starting Time
  • 9:30am Nov 14th - AEDT (Sydney)
  • 2:30pm Nov 13th - PST (Los Angeles)
  • 5:30pm Nov 13th - EST (New York)
  • 10:30pm Nov 13th - GMT (London)

If you get confused put your city into this converter and it will tell you the starting time! :siren:
Whitehall Mystery takes 1-2 hours at most to play, and won't be a 3-4 hour game like Fury.

Inspector Team
ShallNoiseUpon
VideoGames
Mystic Mongol

'Betting' aka Donations

If you would like to 'bet' on the match, you will be rewarded with a Vampire Killer gangtag on the provision that you make a charitable donation of at least $10

1.) Make a donation to the BLM movement, or your countries Red Cross, or another worthy charity.
2.) Post a pic of your donation in the Vs Series Thread, alongside who you would like to win. (Either "Infinitum" or "Inspectors")
3.) If you voted for the winner, you will receive either the new gangtag or a tag of your choice.
4.) If you voted for the losing team?.. Well.. :rolldice:

:siren: Remember to post Donations + who're you're 'betting' on in the Vs Series thread if you want the gangtag :siren:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Is he getting another month when he loses again?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Jesus Christ whoever recommended Skull.. I hate you. My crew went three hours past our usual play time until 2am playing.

Skull is our new god.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

That's fair, I was going to say use a fixed camera and move things towards it to maintain focus rather than moving the camera around. If you already have an audience that knows who you are and what's you're about then what you're doing works.

That said I don't really get unboxing videos, I like see the components etc and what they're made of as that's a big factor in what I buy. The way it comes out I'd the wrap? Not so much.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So what kinds of videos do y'all watch? No worries, I already know what I'm going to be doing, but I am curious. I like the tutorial videos a lot, and Rodney, JonGetsGames, and Nithrania-Play it right. My favorite review channel is Before You Play, noting that they are friends of mine. I like the fact that Monique leads and they have very calming voices that make the experience chill. I don't care for session videos or tutorials combined with sessions, I feel like they go on for way too long. I don't normally watch unboxing videos either (who cares?!) but I did one because apparently they are very popular.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dice Tower featuring Tom Vassel is all you ever need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVFr_S_mD0

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Counterpoint: Tom Vassal is a creepy quiverful shithead and doesn't deserve anyone's support.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

So what kinds of videos do y'all watch?

I watch let's plays, and stop motion videos of transformer toys being transformed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rydiafan posted:

Counterpoint: Tom Vassal is a creepy quiverful shithead and doesn't deserve anyone's support.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Cryptid is by far one of my favorite games, I’ve had great rounds of it with everyone from board gamers to ten year olds to 70 year olds. Explaining exactly what all the rules mean and how to count distances initially can be a bit of a pain for certain types of thinkers but it still takes maybe ten minutes total to teach.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

So what kinds of videos do y'all watch?

Been watching a lot of Paul Grogan recently. Beyond that, mostly the staples: Watch It Played (now fortified with Chaz!), Shut Up and Sit Down, No Pun Included. The Secret Cabal and So Very Wrong About Games don't really put out many videos but I have enjoyed them. Game Night on Board Game Geek channel with that crew is all quite good too. It's not flashy but it's a good combination of production and reality.

I've peeked at a fair few channels of gameplay videos for particular games. A TTA player named DJ Parson who has helped me suck moderately less. Also, some Root video gameplay from Lord of the Board has been alright.

There are also some comedians who do some board game content like ProZD and the LoadingReadyRun people.

All this reminds me: I have to check Our Family Plays Games again because they were the ones to remind me about Yokohama which was pretty awesome. I also need to look at Radho again now that he's working with Shea Parker from RTFM. I could never get on with his abject rejection of conflict, and besides: he made Syphon Filter. :pretend I put the head shaking no emoticon here:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I watch the new wave cinema of Trauffaut and Godard.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've been working from home since March, so I've been playing Paul Grogan's livestreams in the background while I work. It's great since he streams UK afternoons which is middle of the day central time. Lovely guy, and his tastes very much match mine. My only complaint is that he got me interested in Chip Theory Game's stuff which is painful because those games are so incredibly expensive.

Used to watch a lot of Rahdo, like almost every playthrough he put out, but not lately. I think I'm mostly done with my MWE phase and that's his primary focus. Not that I dislike MWEs now or anything, but I own like two dozen of them so I'm not very interested in purchasing more unless they're really special. I'll still watch him if he puts out a video on a game in interested in, as well as the usual reviewers: SUSD, NPI, Man Vs. Meeple, etc.

Almost forgot, another thing I've been watching. Brian Reynolds (Civilization II/Rise of Nations designer) has a YoutubeTwilight Struggle series where he plays top ranked players and talks strategy as he does so. As someone who could never personally get deep into TS, it's fascinating to see high level play and Brian does a good job of going through his reasoning for every decision he makes.

Curious through, does anyone else watch playthroughs/reviews at increased speed? I usually do 1.25 or 1.5.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've played a game of Ffo: Norwegians (solo) and I've come to the conclusion that I'm absolutely terrible at it. I can barely feed my guys.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Calandale is the video reviewer who gets as close as I’ve seen to Dan Thurot’s style of review with minimal rules explanations. I can watch Rahdo’s run through for those. Combination of both is ideal. Rahdo has a separate review video along with the run through and rules explanation which is my preference.

Our family plays games is also nice since they like to give impressions of games like Dan does in a short amount of time. I wish ProZD made board game skits. His reviews are awful, though. 10 minute “reviews” where 8 are rules explanation and 2 min of basic impressions. You’re better off watching his food reviews since they offer substantially more expertise and taste - they’re actually good reviews. Paula Deming makes skits but they’re way too long and drag.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

rydiafan posted:

He's a quiverful and sometimes he has a bad, rude take, but aside from his taste in hats, I don't find anything about him "creepy" or a consistent shithead. I'd say he's been more a plus than a minus to the industry as a whole, but he's not really my bag anymore, as a guy who initially came up reading his Duel of Ages written reviews on BGG and told him to stop wasting time on Youtube as I liked him better in written format. Obviously, that's why he's successful and I'm an attorney. ;-)

There're plenty of streamers whose opinions are more attuned to my interests now and I wouldn't say I know him at all as a person beyond his online persona, but if you've seen behavior that rises to the level you're talking about, it'd be news to me.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mayveena posted:

So what kinds of videos do y'all watch? No worries, I already know what I'm going to be doing, but I am curious. I like the tutorial videos a lot, and Rodney, JonGetsGames, and Nithrania-Play it right. My favorite review channel is Before You Play, noting that they are friends of mine. I like the fact that Monique leads and they have very calming voices that make the experience chill. I don't care for session videos or tutorials combined with sessions, I feel like they go on for way too long. I don't normally watch unboxing videos either (who cares?!) but I did one because apparently they are very popular.

Selecta84 posted:

JohnGetsGames makes really good playthroughs, as well as Slickerdrips and RickyRoyal. Some smaller channels I like are Jplay and Michael Wißner. If they have a playthrough for a game I'm interested in I normally check them out and can afterwards make a buying/not buying decision.

All of them focus on the game, some are edited really well and they transport a good feel for how the game plays imo.

I can't stand the big, hour long playthroughs though. To unfocused and boring most of the time.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

He's a quiverful and sometimes he has a bad, rude take, but aside from his taste in hats, I don't find anything about him "creepy" or a consistent shithead. I'd say he's been more a plus than a minus to the industry as a whole, but he's not really my bag anymore, as a guy who initially came up reading his Duel of Ages written reviews on BGG and told him to stop wasting time on Youtube as I liked him better in written format. Obviously, that's why he's successful and I'm an attorney. ;-)

There're plenty of streamers whose opinions are more attuned to my interests now and I wouldn't say I know him at all as a person beyond his online persona, but if you've seen behavior that rises to the level you're talking about, it'd be news to me.

Some goon has a personal anecdote that Vasal was homphobic round the table at a con. I wan't to say it was one of the B.L.'s.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

He's a quiverful and sometimes he has a bad, rude take, but aside from his taste in hats, I don't find anything about him "creepy" or a consistent shithead.

being quiverful isn't something you put in the minus category of your +/- sheet on a guy. its not a quirk to be dismissed. it's a deeply and profoundly abusive fundamentalist strain of christianity. You would never go "oh maybe he's quiverful but not creepy" if you knew anyone who had to suffer through it. A lot of people who haven't lived in or around fundamentalists greatly and gravely understate its threat, or they assume that they or people they care about would never get caught in it. But it works in the same way cults do - anyone who is in a fragile enough state, or desperate enough for answers, no matter how smart or skeptical they are, can get snared. Don't turn a blind eye to that.

it's almost as bad as cosmic encounter.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tom Vassal seems like the kind of guy who'd use the f-word when disparaging someone then say he was 'just joking' when called out on it.

I don't watch/listen to any of his stuff, there's just something very off-putting about him.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Tom Vassal seems like the kind of guy who'd use the f-word when disparaging someone then say he was 'just joking' when called out on it.

I don't watch/listen to any of his stuff, there's just something very off-putting about him.

I’ve met him a number of times. He’s nice and friendly with people, he doesn’t go off into a private corner and stay there the way some do. He requested to be on my Facebook page which was weird but as long as he doesn’t go off on evangelical/conservative poo poo on my timeline that’s fine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I’ve met him a number of times. He’s nice and friendly with people, he doesn’t go off into a private corner and stay there the way some do. He requested to be on my Facebook page which was weird but as long as he doesn’t go off on evangelical/conservative poo poo on my timeline that’s fine.

Fair enough. Obviously my 'interaction' with him is basically just a couple videos. He did seem pretty cordial with Quinns during their Aw SHUX video, and that admittedly did raise my opinion of him just a smidge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

being quiverful isn't something you put in the minus category of your +/- sheet on a guy. its not a quirk to be dismissed. it's a deeply and profoundly abusive fundamentalist strain of christianity. You would never go "oh maybe he's quiverful but not creepy" if you knew anyone who had to suffer through it. A lot of people who haven't lived in or around fundamentalists greatly and gravely understate its threat, or they assume that they or people they care about would never get caught in it. But it works in the same way cults do - anyone who is in a fragile enough state, or desperate enough for answers, no matter how smart or skeptical they are, can get snared. Don't turn a blind eye to that.

it's almost as bad as cosmic encounter.

People think quiverfull is political but it's really about careful resource management.