Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I guess you should complain to the author of the paper you just linked for evidence. Also, cases did rise in the aftermath.

Personally, I think acting like mass gatherings (especially voting indoors) wouldn't be a vector for spreading Covid is really weird and goes counter to everything we know about the virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
If you look at the tables, they are calculating the increase in stay-at-home behavior alongside the duration of the protests. This is so they can predict how increased stay-at-home behavior would decrease the rate of new daily cases. They account for this to make a clearer judgment on how much the protest activity has, by itself, changed new case activity. Which they cannot clearly do, partly because there is no spike!

Of course large crowds increase risk. What I take from this population-based study is that wearing a mask is still effective for large crowds. Anyways, that's the whole of my reasoning for why I think in-person voting isn't the reason for this surge in new cases

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sanctum posted:

Of course large crowds increase risk. What I take from this population-based study is that wearing a mask is still effective for large crowds. Anyways, that's the whole of my reasoning for why I think in-person voting isn't the reason for this surge in new cases

Yeah cases were increasing like crazy anyway, it's difficult to measure a surge within an already existing larger surge. If you could find a significant number of people who were carefully quarantining apart from going to in-person voting who came down with covid then you might be able to make some sort of argument but there was a trend amongst Biden voters to use mail voting or early voting (when there were still long lines but they were usually spaced out and most people were wearing masks from the videos I saw) and Trump voters tended to wait until Nov 3 to vote in person, and Trump voters were less likely to have been practicing social distancing and mask usage in general anyway.

But there were also people who knew they were covid positive going to the polls, including at least one poll worker who died soon after. In some polling stations they had separate drive-through polling for covid positive people where the poll workers were wearing full PPE, in others they just went "If you know you're covid positive then please wear a mask and try to maintain 6 ft distance at all times, please??" which is going to be a poo poo show.

You also have a whole bunch of pro-Trump anti-polling protests going on right now and those people tend to be somewhat lax with their mask practices, as illustrated by this charming and erudite individual:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpmc13r1PjM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pairofdimes posted:

People are stupid and think they can rules lawyer the virus. The virus can't get me if I'm outside, so I can recreate the indoor environment outside and it'll be safe.

It’s like the virus follows the same rules as the city code.

It’s not a building if it doesn’t have a permanent foundation and doesn’t exceed twelve feet in any dimension.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://twitter.com/MerrilyMerrily5/status/1326292661565747200?s=19

A number of outbreak in Alberta were traced back to churches lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The positivity rate in North Dakota is 68%!!

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
https://mobile.twitter.com/DoctorYasmin/status/1327067910565548036

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Guess that means attending weddings is safe!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1327125840040169472

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

On the plus side maybe some of the rich people having house parties with get the covid when their rapid tests turn out to be worthless.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Hasn’t it been well known for months that the rapid tests are trash?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gay picnic defence posted:

To be fair a 50-50 chance to be positive is bout right considering infection rates.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

you think elon musk would be familiar with low yield, high failure processes by now

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

some hospital workers in nanaimo tested postitive for covid.

one came back from a halloween party in vancouver

geographically we are isolated and its easier to control travel and we have been extremely lucky so far but there could be a bit of an outbreak on our island

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TSLA is under $420 buy then sell when it goes over $420

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

im pretty sure these are more likely to give false negatives than false positives - elons prolly got the roni

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Delta-Wye posted:

im pretty sure these are more likely to give false negatives than false positives - elons prolly got the roni

:pray:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

:pervert:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1327127056119902210

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I wonder if the underlying blood vessel and organ damage would make space travel impossible for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWQUkCx6HZA

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

NICE

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

my live-in GF got it. I tested negative.

I can only guess I'm immune. I slept next to her the whole time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your girlfriend is a low energy spreader.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Your girlfriend is a low energy spreader.

:drat:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Delta-Wye posted:

Elon probably wants to tank his stock for a day or two so he can buy more at a bargain.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's not what this link says. It's citing a 14% positivity rate, which in itself is horrifying but not 68%.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Dang, no more trials for the rest of the year here. Jury duty suspended again.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

freezingprocess posted:

my live-in GF got it. I tested negative.

I can only guess I'm immune. I slept next to her the whole time.

You could easily have had it before her and been entirely asymptomatic and now recovered. Is the antibody test reliable for asymptomatic cases?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

My understanding as of two weeks ago, when I got one of these tests, is that they aren't for testing asymptomatic people at all because they suck at detecting low viral loads. They're pretty good at detecting high loads, though, so if you are sick and it is covid you can reasonably expect a positive, and if it comes back negative you can have some confidence that your symptoms are cold/flu. If you're asymptomatic they really aren't supposed to give you the rapid test at all, and a negative result isn't decisive. They're more for first-line testing of people who are already sick to figure out what to do with them ASAP. Elon might be right on the edge w/ his mild cold symptoms.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 13, 2020

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

holy poo poo, just stay at home

I feel like I'm stuck in this scene IRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDY1z6ezqO4

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This happened in my city after Scotland scored a goal in a football match. The bar's (it's more like an outdoor, tented beer garden) sister venue has already been central to an outbreak that caused a localised lockdown.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/calls-for-investigation-into-fans-celebrating-scotlands-win-against-serbia-in-aberdeen-pub/

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1327270958709805056

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

numberoneposter posted:

some hospital workers in nanaimo tested postitive for covid.

one came back from a halloween party in vancouver

geographically we are isolated and its easier to control travel and we have been extremely lucky so far but there could be a bit of an outbreak on our island

Yeah it really feels like waiting for the other shoe to drop here on the island. It's easier to control travel, but there aren't any enforced travel restrictions. Nothing at all to prevent rich idiots in Vancouver from hopping on the ferry and taking a vacation in Victoria. Increasing restrictions in Vancouver make it even more likely that selfish jerks will decide a weekend away from it is a great idea.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Getting nervous about my ability to get cat supplies again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Getting nervous about my ability to get cat supplies again.

Stock up on cats now!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

holy poo poo, just stay at home

Made coffee this morning and as I looked out the window saw a parent taking his two kids to school.

What. The. gently caress.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Delta-Wye posted:

poverty goat posted:

My understanding as of two weeks ago, when I got one of these tests, is that they aren't for testing asymptomatic people at all because they suck at detecting low viral loads. They're pretty good at detecting high loads, though, so if you are sick and it is covid you can reasonably expect a positive, and if it comes back negative you can have some confidence that your symptoms are cold/flu. If you're asymptomatic they really aren't supposed to give you the rapid test at all, and a negative result isn't decisive. They're more for first-line testing of people who are already sick to figure out what to do with them ASAP. Elon might be right on the edge w/ his mild cold symptoms.
Yup.

He's also Tweeting now asking whether running a PCR test for enough cycles would eventually give a false positive. The answer is yes, which is why you don't run PCR tests for nearly enough cycles to give a false positive, lol

Rapid antigen tests are also definitely not PCR tests anyway and don't work through remotely the same mechanism.
Holy gently caress, I bet they love him and will totally not haul his rear end out of the WH on January 20 at 12:01 pm.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Philthy posted:

Made coffee this morning and as I looked out the window saw a parent taking his two kids to school.

"I don't read the news, it depresses me"

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Philthy posted:

Not the same everywhere, but in my province it's still mandatory to take your kid to school. If we choose not to, we have to pull them out for the entire year, follow the school circirulum and basically put in 40 hours a week on teaching them while holding down full time jobs in which several parents have to go into offices to work.

It sucks and it's a poo poo show that a lot of us are stuck in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1327305722384719872?s=20
Really loving low. You almost certainly have the corvids if you tested positive twice, sorry br0