Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I hope this collab means Insomniac's next Spider-Man game is actually a tie in to Spider-Verse 2. Not that I think anything is wrong with the current Spider-Man game series, but the feeling just from someone else recreating "What Up Danger" gives me them good chills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Imagine a side quest where you get yanked into the noir-verse

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Total Meatlove posted:

I'm imagining that right now, thank you for the suggestion

Giving some old-timey nogoodnicks the ol one two

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They finally added the movie to UK Netflix! :toot: Now I don't have to muck about with the Sony movies app when I want to rewatch it!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Total Meatlove posted:

Like Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions but good...

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CelticPredator posted:

So for toy people, a while back Young Rich toys made a bootleg Miles figure. It's pretty dope actually. Def a good hold over before the Hot Toys comes out next year.

Wow this is great. Any chance of the official product looking this good while also being somewhat affordable?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hot Toys Miles:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If affordable is 300 dollars, sure lmao.

And yes I’m getting it. Some how.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CelticPredator posted:

If affordable is 300 dollars, sure lmao.

And yes I’m getting it. Some how.

If you get it, let me know if it can be posed in a single-hand handstand and stay there on its own.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The 300 goes to mini clothes technology

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think Spider-Noir was literally created for a video game.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

He was actually from the Noir Marvel comic universe that reimagines Marvel characters in a realistic noir setting. So Cyclops have no eye beams but is very good with guns while Rogue steals the identity of rich women to scam horny rich guys. Spider-Man is apparently a professional thief or something.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The MSJ posted:

He was actually from the Noir Marvel comic universe that reimagines Marvel characters in a realistic noir setting. So Cyclops have no eye beams but is very good with guns while Rogue steals the identity of rich women to scam horny rich guys. Spider-Man is apparently a professional thief or something.

they did actually have superpowers in the Noir comics, iirc Noir Spiderman has the usual suite of spiderman abilities but also carries a gun. He's basically a mix of the Shadow and the Rocketeer, gets bitten by a ghost spider after accidentally breaking open a mysterious idol and has a tripped-out hallucination where an ancient god gives him superpowers, which he uses to take revenge on the gangs of New York that killed his uncle and mentor, and also nazis.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spiderverse made it clear that he fuckin loves punching nazis.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SirSamVimes posted:

Spiderverse made it clear that he fuckin loves punching nazis.

:hai: Something we can all get behind.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

they did actually have superpowers in the Noir comics, iirc Noir Spiderman has the usual suite of spiderman abilities but also carries a gun. He's basically a mix of the Shadow and the Rocketeer, gets bitten by a ghost spider after accidentally breaking open a mysterious idol and has a tripped-out hallucination where an ancient god gives him superpowers, which he uses to take revenge on the gangs of New York that killed his uncle and mentor, and also nazis.

also Aunt May is a rabblerousing union leader that pisses off Norman Osborn which is p. rad

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

The MSJ posted:

afaik y'all are both kinda right

Marvel Noir came first, but that Spider-Man Noir doesn't super resemble the one we know now

then Shattered Dimensions came out and brought the character closer to what we ended up seeing in the movie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lord and Miller should adapt the Superior Spider-Man story arc. It was way better than any goofy bodyswap storyline had the right to be.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It would work really well condensed into movie format, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

afaik y'all are both kinda right

Marvel Noir came first, but that Spider-Man Noir doesn't super resemble the one we know now

then Shattered Dimensions came out and brought the character closer to what we ended up seeing in the movie

Speaking of this, I fuckin' loved the 2099 comics when I was a kid so I like marked out when they had Miguel in the post credits

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is more about the recent game but I cannot stop laughing, but also cringing.

https://twitter.com/negroverbs/status/1326978766510428161?s=19

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The MSJ posted:

This is more about the recent game but I cannot stop laughing, but also cringing.

Wha-

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

The MSJ posted:

When you wanna act woke but miss the goalpost and end up on the moon instead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Being a game journalist probably causes a special kind of madness because you can barely afford enough cocaine to forget that absolutely no one cares about your job til you gently caress up hilariously

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The MSJ posted:

https://twitter.com/thepeoplevsJuju/status/1324737621835321344

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
lol some editor signed off on this

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"The swagger of a teen" works just as well and doesn't require some wacko racial categorization.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ever notice how in the first game white spider-man is friends with all the cops but in the second game they won't give black spider-man the time of day?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Magitek posted:

lol some editor signed off on this

The editor actually tried to defend it on Twitter - I can't find the post now but basically the defense was "well actually the reviewer is Black, therefore it's okay for them to talk about Black teenagers in embarrassingly pathological ways".

Had they just said "Miles is psyched to be a superhero" or w/e it would've been fine.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

The editor actually tried to defend it on Twitter - I can't find the post now but basically the defense was "well actually the reviewer is Black, therefore it's okay for them to talk about Black teenagers in embarrassingly pathological ways".

Had they just said "Miles is psyched to be a superhero" or w/e it would've been fine.

https://twitter.com/afillari/status/1324735543192645633

It's even saltier than that

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ImmenseDisciple/status/1324781620784730122?s=20

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I saw this movie recently and it's fantastic; I've been completely tired of the MCU for years but this was everything a superhero movie should be. Are they going to make more because whatever team produces this needs to make more movies, a lot more.

I do think that introducing more spider-mans after Gwen and Peter B. weighed the movie down, and if they'd cut Noir, Penny, and Ham they could have found room for another scene or two between Miles and his family, maybe even a scene for his barely present mom. But some pacing issues in the back half is a minor complaint in a movie that was just a joy.

Otoh spider ham was my girlfriend's favourite part so they do help the movie cast a wider net, important for family movies.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How can you watch this movie and think "they should have cut Nic Cage playing noir spider-man"???

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I really liked him but I think the movie would have benefited more from another scene of two with Mile's family, and there's room for that if you trim out those three spidermans.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can see how more of Miles' family would benefit the movie but also think that you need a group of spider-people to be making the call on whether to include Miles in the plan at the end, because I don't think there would have been as clear of a division between him and the others if it were just Peter B and Gwen making the call. I don't know that Peter B is credible as a spider-authority because of how hosed up he is and Gwen needs to be ambivalent about that if she's going to be a peer or romantic interest in the next one. It helps those scenes where they cut Miles out and leave him behind that there's a consensus among enough variations of spider-man that you have a baseline for Miles to be measured against.

It's hard to think of stuff to cut out, as everything's engineered to work pretty tightly. It stinks because every Disney superhero movie is over three hours and none of them have any reason to be other than giving the spectacle they think people are paying for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hadn't considered the importance of a consensus, that's a really good point and a stronger argument for them than I'd been making. But even then the three comedic characters are a bit one note, the movie really doesn't have enough time to spare for them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
They're undoubtedly secondary characters, but I think that's okay. They serve the triple role of comedic relief, animation flex, and providing a wide range of possibilities to answer the question of "what is a Spider-Man." If anything, the attempt of giving Penny a tiny bit of pathos with her spider-bot at the end felt a little out of place for that reason.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I saw this movie recently and it's fantastic; I've been completely tired of the MCU for years but this was everything a superhero movie should be. Are they going to make more because whatever team produces this needs to make more movies, a lot more.

I do think that introducing more spider-mans after Gwen and Peter B. weighed the movie down, and if they'd cut Noir, Penny, and Ham they could have found room for another scene or two between Miles and his family, maybe even a scene for his barely present mom. But some pacing issues in the back half is a minor complaint in a movie that was just a joy.

Otoh spider ham was my girlfriend's favourite part so they do help the movie cast a wider net, important for family movies.

if they cut out the extra characters Nic Cage would miss a tax payment and there'd be a harder sell for a sequel / spin off. Lose lose.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The rubiks cube jokes alone justify Noir Spidey's presence.

edit: Also the fact that he loves punching nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't think they should have cut all three, but paring it down to one and really focusing on that one for comic relief would probably have led to a more interesting set of gags.