Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
God bless if that thing actually drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Picked up this guy today

Immediately took it to the body shop guy I know, and had the spoiler and front lip added

I feel like I'm 19 all over again

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
M badge with 3 digit number
sigh bmw you idiots pls stop

Great looking beemer tho. How it handles?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think a debadge would improve the look even more. It's great looking but I have a hard time with the grille surround on these newer BMWs.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I love it. I’m possibly going to order an M240 Monday. And it needs the front spoiler badly. Who makes it?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I've come to terms with the M240/M335, etc once I realized they were designed to compete with Audis S4/S5 and so on. Similarly named and tough to let one of your main competitors just walk away with a big portion of the market.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Same thing with the *53/45 AMGs.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It’s my first “performance” car. And I also had trepidation regarding the fake M status

This thing is no slouch , it handles and pulls like a rocketship , I would 100% say it’s worthy of the badge

Sure it’s not an M3 , but it’s veryyyy close

Lip I bought off eBay , it’s not real Caron how never because I don’t want to pay for real carbon and have it all dinged up

Was about 160$ cdn from overseas , if you search m340 lip you’ll see a bunch of them for sale all similar pricing

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
lol that grille looks like a stick on diamond plate trim piece from Autozone

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the color match between the hood and fascia is weird, like even weirder than normal plastic/metal differences

also nthing the big lol at the grille, and also the fact that the color is pretty much a dead copy of Audi Nardo Grey.

edit: i bet it is pretty fun to drive though so congrats!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 14, 2020

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the color match between the hood and fascia is weird, like even weirder than normal plastic/metal differences

also nthing the big lol at the grille, and also the fact that the color is pretty much a dead copy of Audi Nardo Grey.

edit: i bet it is pretty fun to drive though so congrats!!

it is a hoot

I find the grill not as insulting as the new new 2021's though, even in person those are a sight to behold

Funny enough that's what I thought of the color since my friend had a Nardo Grey S4

Nardo is more flat, this is metallic and depending on the light can be the grey you see there, or almost black grey, and in direct sunlight you will see gold shining through from the metallic flakes

It's actually a pretty cool color !

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think a debadge would improve the look even more. It's great looking but I have a hard time with the grille surround on these newer BMWs.

This spec has the blacked out package, it's even worse with the chrome surround, which I would have instantly deleted had it not been done from the factory

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Blue On Blue posted:

Picked up this guy today

Immediately took it to the body shop guy I know, and had the spoiler and front lip added

Congrats I have a 2020 in Portimao and I love the poo poo out of it.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

flightless greeb posted:

I've come to terms with the M240/M335, etc once I realized they were designed to compete with Audis S4/S5 and so on. Similarly named and tough to let one of your main competitors just walk away with a big portion of the market.

It makes sense to package all the Msport goodies on the big engined cars and go right at Audi. The S4/S5 always were slightly sportier that the top trim 3 series. I’m all about BMW bringing more performance to more mainstream cars.

Erulisse posted:

M badge with 3 digit number
sigh bmw you idiots pls stop

Great looking beemer tho. How it handles?

All the M340s come with an improved version of xdrive and a real limited slip out back. I came from an F30 335i and the m340i is a pretty big step up. The steering isn’t 100% perfect, I’m sure that’s where the M is going to differentiate itself.

Best analogy I can come up with is the M340i is to M3 as Mustang GT is to GT350.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Huh I dont know anything about Mustangs so I feel like that analogy is teaching me about the GT350 a lot lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not an “analogy” so much as “formula every car maker is attempting to follow down to the last three cent nut”

At this point just feeling lucky every time a car come out that is not another SUV

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Blue On Blue posted:

This spec has the blacked out package, it's even worse with the chrome surround, which I would have instantly deleted had it not been done from the factory

Yeah chrome would suck. It kinda reminds me of the pre-facelift mustache E90s where people would "black out" part of it. I wonder how it would look in the same colour as the rest of the car.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I got to see the new M3/M4 in person a few weeks ago. The yellow and green ones that have been making the circuit. Could not open it up or sit in but got nice and close. Those new carbon seats look real great. In some ways they work better in person than in pics.

The M3 is big enough that with the mew thinner seats I might consider one when the lease on my M5C is up...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got to see the new M3/M4 in person a few weeks ago. The yellow and green ones that have been making the circuit. Could not open it up or sit in but got nice and close. Those new carbon seats look real great. In some ways they work better in person than in pics.

The M3 is big enough that with the mew thinner seats I might consider one when the lease on my M5C is up...

How’d it... you know... look?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

The seats look crazy, like I was afraid to try and sit in it even though the sales guy offered, because I probably wouldn't be able to get out easily

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

How’d it... you know... look?

I preferred the 3 to the 4, it seemed to be more cohesive in general and the darker green paint was nice. It was not as horrific a shitshow as I expected. Would have preferred vertical snoot slats.

M3 with the weird optional trapezoidal exhaust tip placement might actually be cool.

Blue On Blue posted:

The seats look crazy, like I was afraid to try and sit in it even though the sales guy offered, because I probably wouldn't be able to get out easily

They looked like an evolution of the seats in the M5, in a very good way. And I’m 6’4”.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Blue On Blue posted:

Picked up this guy today

I think it looks good. Are you going to change your user name to Grey on Gray?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think it looks good. Are you going to change your user name to Grey on Gray?

Grey on White technically !

or cream?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Dating a girl who really wants a Mini and is interested in learning to drive MT as well. Were any of them reasonably reliable or are they all garbage packaging nightmares?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

blk posted:

Dating a girl who really wants a Mini and is interested in learning to drive MT as well. Were any of them reasonably reliable or are they all garbage packaging nightmares?

The most reliable by far are the current generation with the B38/B48 engines, which by all counts are solid reliable cars. Aside from the very early first gen models with exploding Rover gearboxes and failing power steering pumps, first gen models and second gen One/Cooper models are ok.

The second generation Cooper S (R56) with the N14 engine is an eldritch nightmare of problems that are both numerous and expensive to fix. The LCI models with the N18 engine are substantially better in this regard, but frankly I would avoid them like the plague, no matter how tempting.

Source: used to own a second generation Cooper S.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/poughkeepsie-2006-bmw-x5-30i-e53-6mt/7233860491.html

Goons, should I buy this?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The new one is great. I bought my wife a f56 dct S and I bloody love driving it

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

If you have to ask AI, the answer is yes.

In this case though.... yes.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

What the gently caress they made a 6MT X5?! HOLY poo poo

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That manual 6 speed X5 seller should not only be rewarded for putting in some actual effort into their sales post (hard to find these days except BAT), including good quality pics, but also because they are a bit of a smartass.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
If the guy in the Bay Area drops his price to $6k, I'll probably pick up the 6mt x5. Even though we just bought my wife a used 2018 x5 :V

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jink posted:

What the gently caress they made a 6MT X5?! HOLY poo poo

Yeah, but no V8 version :rip:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, but no V8 version :rip:

If they did there is a 0% chance it would still be roadworthy. Those things are rolling Exxon Valdez with as much oil as the V8 E53’s just pissed out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
m62 isn't exactly the best BMW engine but nowhere near the disaster that the top mounted turbo models are

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
A manual X5. I'm green from envy

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Not an “analogy” so much as “formula every car maker is attempting to follow down to the last three cent nut”

At this point just feeling lucky every time a car come out that is not another SUV

The problem for me in that even the base F80 M3 isn't practical enough, I could've had one for not much more than I paid for my M340. I drive the poo poo out of my cars all year long up here in Boston and live on top of a giant hill so AWD is nice to have (yeah I run winters too).

Having something in the BMW lineup that pops and burbles and goes real fast in sport mode and doesn't have my in-laws asking from the backseat if it's broken every time we hit a stiff bump is a nice compromise. I'd like to hit the track once or twice a year and everything I've owned in the past decade is too fast for me to use 100% of anyway so trading a little comfort is fine.

That said, the new M3 might tilt the balance back, we'll see.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

oops double post

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

kronix posted:

I'd like to hit the track once or twice a year and everything I've owned in the past decade is too fast for me to use 100% of anyway so trading a little comfort is fine.

The M340 will do just fine on track. Bring it out and have some fun.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

The M340 will do just fine on track. Bring it out and have some fun.

I definitely will be next spring/summer. I've done it with my last 3 cars and I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to my F30 335i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

kronix posted:

The problem for me in that even the base F80 M3 isn't practical enough, I could've had one for not much more than I paid for my M340. I drive the poo poo out of my cars all year long up here in Boston and live on top of a giant hill so AWD is nice to have (yeah I run winters too).

Having something in the BMW lineup that pops and burbles and goes real fast in sport mode and doesn't have my in-laws asking from the backseat if it's broken every time we hit a stiff bump is a nice compromise. I'd like to hit the track once or twice a year and everything I've owned in the past decade is too fast for me to use 100% of anyway so trading a little comfort is fine.

That said, the new M3 might tilt the balance back, we'll see.

I fully plan to track my M340 as well, at least a couple times just for funzies