Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nephthys posted:

She is also still a teenager, so expecting her to start murdering people and become a fugitive for the rest of her life is a bit of an ask imo. It's kind of expected in a protagonist but I'm not going to get outraged over her not stepping in in the instances I've seen.

I've only seen up to ep4, but the fact that they don't age her character model is a little offsetting. She qualifies as a temp at 14, trains for a year, and by the time ep4 rolls around, she hadn't seen her mentor in what...5-6 years? So, she's like 20 now but looks exactly the same. :psyduck:

And in anime time, 20-year olds are practically oji/oba-sans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

they really arent.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

they really arent.

Yeah. Way to miss the point, Endorph.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I've only seen up to ep4, but the fact that they don't age her character model is a little offsetting. She qualifies as a temp at 14, trains for a year, and by the time ep4 rolls around, she hadn't seen her mentor in what...5-6 years? So, she's like 20 now but looks exactly the same. :psyduck:

The wiki has her at age 18. In most anime terms that should be old enough to have overthrown 2 evil empires already, but this clearly isn't that kind of anime. I'm mainly thinking of episode 2 where she clearly does consider doing something drastic to free the slave but decides not to. Which considering her age and circumstances is reasonable imo. There wasn't really anything she could do about ep 4 either.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Definitely a lot easier to criticise someone else for not taking drastic action than it is to take drastic action yourself

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nephthys posted:

The wiki has her at age 18. In most anime terms that should be old enough to have overthrown 2 evil empires already, but this clearly isn't that kind of anime. I'm mainly thinking of episode 2 where she clearly does consider doing something drastic to free the slave but decides not to. Which considering her age and circumstances is reasonable imo. There wasn't really anything she could do about ep 4 either.
FE, Atelier and Megaten games have taught me that if you haven't punched a deity/dragon/draconic deity/some variation of the Abrahamic big person in the sky or Satan and/or Lucifer/all of the above during your high-school age or college-freshman period right in the face, you fail in life.

IMHO, Elaina is in her sophomore slump. Hopefully she'll recover! :ohdear:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the big problem with Elaina is I have no idea what the show is saying episode to episode. Like they might as well run the Achewood "The End! No Moral" panel over the ending animation, and when it does try to say things it completely misses the mark, like the most recent one turning everyone into Jim Carrey from Liar Liar for the important message of...everyone's just a huge rear end in a top hat faking that they like anything about other people, I guess?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i imagine it's hard for a story to build anywhere when the anime adaptation of it is seemingly picking random stories kino 2017-style

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
tell me when the sheep murder ep happens

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

near as i can tell the anime is just making some very bad calls because all of these stories seem to have morals in the original novels that the anime is muddling for... some... reason?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there was a throughline of cautioning against prideful or selfish behavior but its kind of dissipated with the way the anime is choosing and adapting stories

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a cautionary tale against the pride of those that adapt ln's

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm still watching it out of curiosity but it's definitely the biggest disappointment this season from synopsis to reality

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlternateNu posted:

I know, right? :v:

But really. Take everything I said above with a grain of salt. I'm not gay, and I haven't lived in Japan for almost a decade. But just from keeping up with my friends over there, what I read, and my few interactions when I go visit, that's my best take.

FWIW it sounds about right from the time I spent in Japan, as an LGBT teenager around 5 years ago.

"Don't ask don't tell", keep it in private and all that but if you do people usually aren't nosy enough to give you poo poo about it.

That being said, teenagers will absolutely be cruel over it because teenagers will be cruel over literally anything they can think of.

Ibblebibble posted:

Man, Adachi To Shimamura really is Disaster Gay: The Anime.

I'm not really deep into LGBT culture, what does disaster gay mean?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 13, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just someone who gets very goofy or silly or anxious about their gay crush

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
sometimes because of anime plots, the disaster part can be very literal as well. homura did nothing wrong

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Space Flower posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

That sounds vaguely familiar.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Space Flower posted:

sometimes because of anime plots, the disaster part can be very literal as well. homura did nothing wrong

lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Akudama Drive continues to be a fun ride, and I like how they're starting to get into exactly what an 'akudama drive' actually is. Brawler got to go out in precisely the way he wanted. :unsmith:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I just finished the first episode of Adachi and Shimamura - it's kind of interesting, I'm into the vaguely surreal style and hope it continues. Does it have a thread?

(also still have to finish Eizoken - so much anime so little time...)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

StandardVC10 posted:

I just finished the first episode of Adachi and Shimamura - it's kind of interesting, I'm into the vaguely surreal style and hope it continues. Does it have a thread?

(also still have to finish Eizoken - so much anime so little time...)

It does not. Feel free to make one.

Also the anime isn't going anywhere, you've got all the time in the world to enjoy it :shobon:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Julias posted:

It does not. Feel free to make one.

Also the anime isn't going anywhere, you've got all the time in the world to enjoy it :shobon:

It kinda is though, what with all the shows that jump from one streaming site to the next randomly

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/cristinavee/status/1327317827628371968?s=21

Hey, neat, good for her.

Extremely prolific anime voice actor, in case you were wondering.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Funi seems to be making an effort to diversify their voice casting pool, which is great of course.

But it's a bit weird seeing that advertised attached to loving Mahouka of all things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/cristinavee/status/1327317827628371968?s=21

Hey, neat, good for her.

Extremely prolific anime voice actor, in case you were wondering.
Extremely prolific and she seldom disappoints. And I'm loving glad, too. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEUDJ5EXNCI

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I just want to remind people that Smoking Crow is putting a twist on the traditional Secret Santa for 2020, and there is still time to sign up until November 26th.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, that latest battle in Akudama Drive might be one of the best animated fight scenes this year.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just went through Akudama Drive and I'm mad I've been sleeping on it just because of Studio Pierrot is on it. The animation is beautiful and has a ton of style, the fights have been up there with Jujutsu Kaisen this season.

I got a laugh out of the Dangan Ronpa people making a world where Public Executions are this big thing that have their own special stadium that attracts tons of people.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Last two episode of Sigrdrifa have pushed it up from being okay to pretty great (Well it started to get great when it had a Pippin cameo and great SF2 background gag)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i vastly preferred the gag cave ep. practically all of the death happening offscreen and to total nobodies made it devoid of impact

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah that show feels like a weak script propped up by the animation staff having some fun with it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i really liked the first half of ep 1 when it was being chuuni as hell but they backpedaled pretty quickly on that aspect. the minute-to-minute dialogue is well written but it's having real issues finding a tone or direction.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I thought this week's episode of Yashahime was a little boring, but it was good for showing us more of who Towa is, and I liked the pirate guy

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I like the literal grapeshot joke at the end of the latest Elaina.

Also, when do you think she's going to realize (anime only but pretty obvious guess here) her mother was Nike?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As the sole person still watching it, I'm still enjoying Iwakakeru. Its biggest flaw however is that Iwamine is not in every scene.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

chumbler posted:

As the sole person still watching it, I'm still enjoying Iwakakeru. Its biggest flaw however is that Iwamine is not in every scene.

My wife and I are watching it and it’s a strong candidate for anime of the year for us.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CrazySalamander posted:

My wife and I are watching it and it’s a strong candidate for anime of the year for us.

Jun made me actually say "Oh no" out loud several times last episode. Girl can't climb the walls she's put up.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

chumbler posted:

I'm watching it and I adore the fact it's combing sports drama with Saki like powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The last two episodes have been super realistic with regards to competitions in general and I absolutely loved it.