Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching Tuesday's game. Enjoying watching these players start from the bottom and work their way up the category and being punished for not understanding the category multiple times.

"Good players do this. I'm a good player." :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah that's why I'm bearish on Holzhauer having CHANGED THE GAME FOREVER!!!

Most players aren't as good as him (or Arthur Chu, or Chuck Forrest, or the many others who played similarly).

Now where these folks SHOULD improve is in their Daily Double betting. Unless you are hopeless in the category, just bet the house on DD1. There's lots of time to make it up if you're wrong.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well that was a fun $200 clue for final.

zakharov posted:

Yeah that's why I'm bearish on Holzhauer having CHANGED THE GAME FOREVER!!!

Most players aren't as good as him (or Arthur Chu, or Chuck Forrest, or the many others who played similarly).

Now where these folks SHOULD improve is in their Daily Double betting. Unless you are hopeless in the category, just bet the house on DD1. There's lots of time to make it up if you're wrong.
Agreed, for sure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Well that was a fun $200 clue for final.

Agreed, for sure.

The only reason I didn't get it was because I thought the answer was too obvious :negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Iron Crowned posted:

The only reason I didn't get it was because I thought the answer was too obvious :negative:

Hahaha same. I went to GRIFFIN and out-clevered myself. Vexillology is not one of my strong suits even if geography is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

Hahaha same. I went to GRIFFIN and out-clevered myself. Vexillology is not one of my strong suits even if geography is.

:lol: I too went for Griffin

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/1327268723128999936?s=21

quote:

One of the surprising names on the list is Mr. Trump, who CBS News has projected will lose the 2020 presidential election. As of Thursday, Mr. Trump had the worst odds to become host by a large margin.

"It was pretty much the highest odds I think I could enter my system....And believe it or not, people bet on it," Burns said.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

here's the list

https://twitter.com/zeitchikWaPo/st...882autosize%3D1

imagine Joe Rogan lmao

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God please not Tyson or Stephanopoulos.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
LeVar Burton would be my second choice after Ken.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

LeVar Burton would be my second choice after Ken.

Agreed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

All those names besides Ken are terrible picks imo.

It should be Arthur Chu

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alex said he wanted a woman of color to replace him.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm not sure what i think of jennings as the host. he's earned the right to be in the conversation, for sure, but i haven't liked his reading of the clues. he comes off as a bit stiff, and i'm not sure it would work out as well as we'd hope. if he could revert to chipper/witty ken while hosting, then i think i see it. but i haven't seen him do that as a host yet.

that said, i do like burton and think he'd be great. i'd also love a woman, but i'm not sure who's out there that would want it.

i'd also love for them to change it every season/week/month/whatever. give ken this season, levar next, fey the following, etc. it'd be a fun gig and would spice things up.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I don't want it to be a known celebrity quantity. There's a quiet dignity to the show and I think that gets a bit upended if somebody too known comes in.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

actually, have maggie host.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Timby posted:

Micah Burton

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

abelwingnut posted:

actually, have maggie host.

She retired. She was the best part of auditions.

I think Ken would be fine but it'd be weird to be a contestant and face the proposition of disappointing someone who can legitimately claim to be the Greatest of All Time. I'm also not sure he can project the authoritativeness that Alex had.

LeVar Burton would be a great choice. He's got plenty of TV experience, he's someone that can project smarts without alienating people, and he's got lots of charisma. Also he wants the job...

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1326680967336120322

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

Is that why he's jokely said Betty White?

It'll be someone Sony and CBS feel comfortable with, willingly take a salary a fifth or so of what Alex made and has flexibility to sign a long term deal. Not sure how deep the talent pool is there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If they pick someone and they don't work out they can always go with someone else. Jeopardy host is not a lifetime appointment.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wolf Blitzer would be a hell of a turn.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Someone in another group suggested Aisha Tyler and I think she would be excellent.

Also, Brooke who hosts the US version of The Chase and Masterminds would also be a top choice for me. She does a really good job of being funny and personable and having rapport with contestants without actually making the show about her.

That said I think it'll be Ken, and I'm fine with that. I agree that he's been a bit stiff reading the clues and stuff this year, but he's done like what, 20 clues total? That's barely even getting to the first commercial break of a single episode. He'll get there.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Not sure Ken would be a great host. He just doesn't enunciate that well.

Tbh Brad Rutter would probably be a better host than Ken (though I don't like either of those options).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The thing is that anyone who replaces Trebek is going to be struggling right off the bat to both carve out their own identity as a host while at the same time not just trample all over his legacy -- not that anyone's coming in looking to do that but I think fans are going to be a bit protective. Ken's a known quantity, not just to Jeopardy fans but in the mainstream and people already know he respects the game and he respects Alex and he already has defined his persona on the show fairly well (albeit as a contestant rather than a host)

I think he makes sense from the perspective that people know he's going to be a good steward of the show even if he doesn't measure up all the way at first.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if they just find a real celebrity that wants to pull a Drew Carey and "retire" to a cushy gig the rest of their life.

I do think Ken would be good. His video questions have been a bit stilted, but listening to The Omnibus it's obvious he never mixes up words and knows the pronunciation of everything (which isn't that surprising). And he's quick-witted and would do well at the contestant interviews. It's funny, when I listen to him on podcasts I don't notice a lisp at all. But when I watch video of him speaking, it's more obvious. So there's that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

All those names besides Ken are terrible picks imo.

It should be Arthur Chu

lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He's not a traditional host but Jeffrey Toobin has some experience on camera and he just became available.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
John O'Hurley would be great if you're looking for enunciation

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I think Wayne Brady would be a good choice as a host. He's got the voice for it and would have fantastic repertoire with the contestants. I could only see him doing it if he was allowed to stay on Let's Make a Deal though. He's really made that show his own, and I couldn't see him taking a job that would take him away from singing and dancing.

I'd put Ryan Seacrest and Ming-Na Wen on my shortlist as well. And even though it would never happen, Barack Obama.

But really, there's only one true way to choose a successor for host of Jeopardy: "genre" pronunciation contest.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm on the LeVar train all the way. Jennings wouldn't be a disaster or anything, but he just doesn't have the same universal charm.

He is quite a bit older than Trebek was when he started, but I feel like that's probably inevitable. At this point people expect someone a little older at the helm. And if we're being perfectly honest, the show isn't necessarily going to be around for another 30+ years.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they just find a real celebrity that wants to pull a Drew Carey and "retire" to a cushy gig the rest of their life.

I do think Ken would be good. His video questions have been a bit stilted, but listening to The Omnibus it's obvious he never mixes up words and knows the pronunciation of everything (which isn't that surprising). And he's quick-witted and would do well at the contestant interviews. It's funny, when I listen to him on podcasts I don't notice a lisp at all. But when I watch video of him speaking, it's more obvious. So there's that.

Let John Roderick read out all the clues with the world "Soviet" in them.

But yeah, I think Ken would be fine in the role. There would be an adjustment period for sure, but for the reasons mentioned above I think he would be a great fit.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Doggles posted:

I think Wayne Brady would be a good choice as a host. He's got the voice for it and would have fantastic repertoire with the contestants. I could only see him doing it if he was allowed to stay on Let's Make a Deal though. He's really made that show his own, and I couldn't see him taking a job that would take him away from singing and dancing.

I'd put Ryan Seacrest and Ming-Na Wen on my shortlist as well. And even though it would never happen, Barack Obama.

But really, there's only one true way to choose a successor for host of Jeopardy: "genre" pronunciation contest.

Is the world really not sick of Ryan Seacrest or Wayne Brady by now? They're on everything.

My worry is that's the exact type of person they'll shove in there. I dont see them picking ken simply because hes talked about wanting it for so long and fans are behind him and they cant appear like the choice is even remotely out of their control.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ryan Seacrest is the blandest possible choice

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not worried about Seacrest or anyone like that; they're smart enough not to pick someone who can't pass for intelligent.

Aside from Ken or Burton my pick off that list would be Kimes; unfortunately she's unknown to probably 90+% of the audience so I doubt it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trying to think of any other game shows Burton has done, apart from being a celeb guest on $25,000 Pyramid back in the early 80s. But I have to say the more I think about it the more I like the idea of LeVar Burton.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you know who's smart, good at interviews, and has a similar temperament to alex's? david duchovny. i think he'd be really drat good at it, the more i think about it.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I was thinking about this while cooking and Andy Richter popped in my head. It won't happen though, and I would be very happy with Jennings or Burton.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Jeff Probst was really good on Rock & Roll Jeopardy years ago, but you'd have to throw big money to pull him away from Survivor

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abelwingnut posted:

you know who's smart, good at interviews, and has a similar temperament to alex's? david duchovny. i think he'd be really drat good at it, the more i think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvQUiX26RfE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Doubt it would happen, but I think John Hodgman could do a really good job.