Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFVuAW9q1SQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zQIKeh9B4
Relevant, I think.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

numberoneposter posted:

I think it's safe to say that First Contact ruled.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numberoneposter posted:

Notable First Contact quotes:

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: And you people, you're all astronauts on... some kind of star trek.

Lt. Commander Worf: [before blasting some Borg] Assimilate this!

With all the poo poo Worf's put up with over the years, he'd earned a line like "Assimilate this" and actually landing the kill.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With all the poo poo Worf's put up with over the years, he'd earned a line like "Assimilate this" and actually landing the kill.

I really like how the Bajoran lt on Lower decks is so obviously a worf knock off of literally begging the captain to let him shoot something and never getting to.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Tighclops posted:

I never read Michael Pillar's book about it but I got the impression insurrection would have been a better film were it not for Patrick Stewart meddling in the script

It's actually quite the opposite, Stewart spiked some pretty bad ideas.

The book is worth a read. It more comes down to there never being a solid premise for the story locked down, many people having input into the process and pulling things in different directions, and the main writer being overly fixated on the concept of "going back to the TNG people love" which is practice meant writing stuff that had been done before, done better and things the characters had long developed past.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Insurrection kind of flirts with some of the 'darker war Starfleet' stuff from DS9 but only barely. There's only one or two mentions of the Dominion War at all.

I feel like you could have told a darker story about how Starfleet has strayed from its morals, but the parts of it that are in the movie are overshadowed by Ru'afo being an over-the-top rear end in a top hat, and Admiral Dougherty dies like midway through the movie and isn't mentioned again.

In the novels they expounded on the 'holoship' idea and said that Section 31 was responsible which makes sense.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Crusader posted:

i read and understand the words "patrick stewart does not enjoy playing a cerebral picard but would prefer it if picard had been action captain" but it just sounds so impossible because he was so great at playing that loving character most of the time on tng

I'm not sure he really didn't like playing the more cerebral Picard on TNG, I think it's more that he had grown bored of it and wanted to do something different.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure he really didn't like playing the more cerebral Picard on TNG, I think it's more that he had grown bored of it and wanted to do something different.

If so he was bored by season three (Captain's Holiday)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

I really like how the Bajoran lt on Lower decks is so obviously a worf knock off of literally begging the captain to let him shoot something and never getting to.

And then his joy when he finally gets to pew pew some things on a life-or-death mission. "THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!"

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

infernal machines posted:

If so he was bored by season three (Captain's Holiday)

lol:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

patrick stewart..... is red squad????

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Patrick Stewart is a "bruh!" away from being a Chad

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You've all seen his guest bit in Extras, right?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

You've all seen his guest bit in Extras, right?

I’ve seen everything

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha, the full bit isn't on youtube, but this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JsMtqTioOE

(the full bit probably is on youtube I'm just too lazy to dig deeper)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So Avery Bullock from American Dad is closer to real Patrick Stewart than Jean Luc Picard ever was?

I'm not sure how I feel about this news.

Thankfully I've always trusted that Sisko is best captain even if he genocided once. It was a weird situation, okay?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

kirk > janeway > sisko > archer > picard

this is my captains list at this moment in time

alternatively

action picard > *

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 13, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tighclops posted:

Seeing the Enterprise save the Defiant was totally loving badass and there can be no modern equivalent

The Titan saving the Cerritos. :colbert:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fabulousity posted:

Thankfully I've always trusted that Sisko is best captain even if he genocided once. It was a weird situation, okay?

Captains can have little a genocide, as a treat

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The ends justified the means, besides it was more like forced migration at the threat of genocide. Not the same!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Garak was ready to do a little genocide in the name of self defense.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

And as far as forced migration goes, both Data and Picard do it in TNG

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

And as far as forced migration goes, both Data and Picard do it in TNG

Yeah but half the time they seem kinda sad about doing it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah but half the time they seem kinda sad about doing it

That's the strong moral core of TNG

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im dumb, who does sisko genocide?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

jsoh posted:

im dumb, who does sisko genocide?

At one point, after the Maquis launch a weapon at one of the disputed planets with a toxin fatal to Cardassians but harmless to humans, making the Cardassians evacuate, Sisko launches a weapon at one of the disputed planets with a toxin fatal to humans but harmless to Cardassians, making the humans evacuate.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
probably worth noting the Maquis were planning on doing that to all the other Cardassian DMZ colonies as well. another descriptor for this is ethnic cleansing

like, in terms of war crimes committed, Eddington is still way ahead of Sisko, just in that episode alone

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the toxins did not have any immediate effect and there was plenty of time to evacuate. also, they were free to move to the nearby newly vacated planet and its not like the colonists had been there for very long. no one died, no culture or ethnic group was destroyed. it wasn't genocide.

it is absolutely certain that everyone who signed on to colonize planets in disputed territory were told exactly why that was a bad idea. however, they had to have their own planet with no one else on it. every single federation colony in tng onward was a single tiny settlement on an otherwise empty planet, and the idea of making a second tiny settlement on one of those worlds was simply abhorrent.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If we're going to have this argument for the fiftieth time, shouldn't we at least add a tortured topical twist?

Feds = US, Maquis = Kurds, Cardassians = Turkey

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Not to mention the Maquis doing poo poo like faking a distress call to disable a starship and steal some replicators.
And the Maquis could have easily just decided to stay on one planet but no, they had to have a village worth of colonists on a bunch of planets instead.

Also Sisko did nothing wrong.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

every single federation colony in tng onward was a single tiny settlement on an otherwise empty planet, and the idea of making a second tiny settlement on one of those worlds was simply abhorrent.

:aaaaa: lol federation colonies are basically subdivisions, which explains why they're so full of regressive cranks and are likely to devolve into to subsistence farming or rape gang planets

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

If we're going to have this argument for the fiftieth time, shouldn't we at least add a tortured topical twist?

Feds = US, Maquis = Kurds, Cardassians = Turkey

nah, the Maquis aren't an actual civlization or society.

It's a bunch of different societies who's only common factor is they hate cardassians.

Like, the federation was offering to move them and help them rebuild. And it's not like they're leaving their ancestral places, they were only there for a few years.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah the Maquis are like the French Resistance of the Nazis, and are named after a portion of them. La Résistance was not any kind of focused ethnonational or even political group. It was a massively broad coalition of people from dispirate classes, political groups, and religions, including people from outside France, all united in routing the Nazis.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah the Maquis are like the French Resistance of the Nazis, and are named after a portion of them. La Résistance was not any kind of focused ethnonational or even political group. It was a massively broad coalition of people from dispirate classes, political groups, and religions, including people from outside France, all united in routing the Nazis.

The maquis are equivalent to white supremacists or white separatists.

Acceptable races like human, vulcan, bolian whatever are the dominant 'white' races, and cardassians are the hated other.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The maquis were space libertarians and it was really funny when sisko gassed the poo poo out of them

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

hakimashou posted:

The maquis are equivalent to white supremacists or white separatists.

Acceptable races like human, vulcan, bolian whatever are the dominant 'white' races, and cardassians are the hated other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the Cardassians are literally fascist ultra nationalists led by a military dictatorship