Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

This video is awesome because it reveals how hosed by technical debt everything is, as well. Look at this new ship. Look at all the poo poo that they've reworked, only for this ship.

* New interfaces and GUI's for every panel throughout the ship
* New lighting features and the ability to turn room lights on/off
* The ability to "Lock" individual doors or turn off automated sensors that open/close them, for some reason
* Openable storage areas where you can get at the "Ship components" for maintenance
* A "Scanning" room that is supposed to support some kind of as-yet-unspecified sensor gameplay
* Crew lockers for equipment storage
* Playable chess board where a single specific unit placed in a single specific spot serves as a key for opening the smuggling compartments

I mean let's take them at face value for a second that these are not bespoke one-off features that will only ever be applied to this one ship, but in fact "Upgrades" that all the older ships will be getting. There are like eighty loving ships already in this game! Nobody should be thrilled that they are all going to need this level of detail overhaul! And if they don't get reworked, you're going to enter into a situation where there are really only two or three ships in Star Citizen and they're whatever mid-size models CIG has managed to poop out in the last six months, because those contain all the new gameplay features and everything else is full of ancient, bugged, broken trash. That they still have to maintain and support.

Either way it's just so completely hosed.

the pipelines have been completed. it'll take an intern around 5 minutes to implement all of these features in all of the existing ships. naturally they're not going to do that now but when they do it's going to be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

This video is awesome because it reveals how hosed by technical debt everything is, as well. Look at this new ship. Look at all the poo poo that they've reworked, only for this ship.

* The ability to "Lock" individual doors or turn off automated sensors that open/close them, for some reason
* Openable storage areas where you can get at the "Ship components" for maintenance
* A "Scanning" room that is supposed to support some kind of as-yet-unspecified sensor gameplay
* Playable chess board where a single specific unit placed in a single specific spot serves as a key for opening the smuggling compartments

I mean let's take them at face value for a second that these are not bespoke one-off features that will only ever be applied to this one ship, but in fact "Upgrades" that all the older ships will be getting. There are like eighty loving ships already in this game! Nobody should be thrilled that they are all going to need this level of detail overhaul! And if they don't get reworked, you're going to enter into a situation where there are really only two or three ships in Star Citizen and they're whatever mid-size models CIG has managed to poop out in the last six months, because those contain all the new gameplay features and everything else is full of ancient, bugged, broken trash. That they still have to maintain and support.

Sounds like a good reason to buy those new ships! :shepspends:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

Shamelessly stolen from refunds subreddit again
Newest game loop in Star Citizen: You can now play chess on the MSR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqWpTqknRkU&t=332s

CIG focusing on important stuff again. Totally not a ripoff of Millenium Falcon. And I think they expect you to stand while playing chess?

Edit: idk how to set start time, chess is at 330s

Nice for them I guess!

Though it looks less like chess and more like the whole board piece is usable to grab a piece so you can place it on the nearby secret plate to open the secret compartment under your chess board.

I doubt the board is actually usable to play on, but maybe I'm wrong.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah but is it ~amBiTiOus~???

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Xaerael posted:

what happened on 2020-10-28? Why the negative half mil?

also 2020-10-06? -$1,466,987?

Paying out executives that are exiting the project.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Sarsapariller posted:

Imagine all the fun you can get from a light switch gameplay!
I can't. Unless the light switch is voiced by V. Belmont

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dwesa posted:

Boredgamer in that video was loving delighted by the ability to... turn lights on and off in rooms. The bar has sunk so low for Citizens, it strains my credulity.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dwesa posted:

idk man, FTL gets a LOT of mileage out of the ability to close and open doors. i feel like there could be a whole untapped world of potential there.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
so hyped for cig to break all fundraising records this sale despite giving backers literally nothing and telling them to go gently caress themselves when asked whenthe game is coming out

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Muscle Tracer posted:

idk man, FTL gets a LOT of mileage out of the ability to close and open doors. i feel like there could be a whole untapped world of potential there.

Exciting events like trying to capture all the argon in one room.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Boredgamer in that video was loving delighted by the ability to... turn lights on and off in rooms. The bar has sunk so low for Citizens, it strains my credulity.

I think they’re thrilled with anything they can actually interact with inside the ships. That insane citizen who was writing walls of text about the wine glass placement in the 890J was actually onto something. The ships are full of all sorts of static set dressing to make them feel “lived in”, but you can’t actually interact with or customize anything. I can customize a house in Oblivion more. So it’s just looks like a phantom crew has been living there, not your wealthy and sophisticated space man.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I think they’re thrilled with anything they can actually interact with inside the ships. That insane citizen who was writing walls of text about the wine glass placement in the 890J was actually onto something. The ships are full of all sorts of static set dressing to make them feel “lived in”, but you can’t actually interact with or customize anything. I can customize a house in Oblivion more. So it’s just looks like a phantom crew has been living there, not your wealthy and sophisticated space man.

Honesty looking forward to the time ships can be adjusted like Oblivion and Skyrim.

I'd like to see the trails of space garbage from stuff that Fus Ro hosed itself out of the ship into space. Extra points when stuff bounces around so much the ship dies or it kills the players inside.

I think the most people will get here is sockets where you can buy "a coffee machine" and assign it to that socket, but you'll never be able to move around stuff like individual wine glasses arranged on a table dynamically.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Dwesa posted:

Shamelessly stolen from refunds subreddit again
Newest game loop in Star Citizen: You can now play chess on the MSR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqWpTqknRkU&t=332s

CIG focusing on important stuff again. Totally not a ripoff of Millenium Falcon. And I think they expect you to stand while playing chess?

Edit: idk how to set start time, chess is at 330s

That's great. You can hide in the secret vents ... that every single player knows about.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That video shows we have ultimately been checkmated.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/OBn6jz7.gifv

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Star Citizen precursor, featuring doors that open and stuff that suddenly kills you.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

One of the details I love about half these ships is that they have big-rear end fridges and stoves, and sometimes whole mess halls, but you can't eat a single thing from them to help your survival gameplay. Star Citizen's production is a bunch of different teams working totally independently of each other, it is amazing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Are there still plans for spaceships to engage is some sort of combat mechanic, or "gameplay" as it were, perhaps it could be called "dogfighting" or something? Or is that long gone?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Are there still plans for spaceships to engage is some sort of combat mechanic, or "gameplay" as it were, perhaps it could be called "dogfighting" or something? Or is that long gone?

Star Citizen is a true to life simulator. How often do you get into a "dogfight" driving to work or the grocery store?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Popete posted:

Star Citizen is a true to life simulator. How often do you get into a "dogfight" driving to work or the grocery store?

you mean driving around as grubhub delivery person in my fully armed military tank? like 7 or 8 times a day.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

Are you funded by FSB and Russian greymarket mafia, EA, Crytek or Derek Smart?

Yes

DigitalPenny posted:

Noooo thats not toilet paper thats was road map to the road map !!!

:vince:

NoMas posted:

Did Sandi leave?

It's what happens when your acting is as wooden as a tree

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

Popete posted:

You seem to be in greater danger from the space police killing you during a routine traffic stop than from the fellow Citizens you've armed yourself to the teeth against.

Durn vidya game companies, making gaming political.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen precursor, featuring doors that open and stuff that suddenly kills you.

I loved that game.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OAuViakOc

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2950

ITS RAFFLE TIME!
ENTRIES WILL END WHEN THIS COUNTDOWN HITS 0.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20201119T00&p0=24&msg=Star+Citizen+IAE+2950&font=slab

To enter:
- You must be a Platinum Account holder. For PMs.
- You must quote this post.

What's your guess on the funding tracker sheet at the end of IAE 2950?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
Current Pledge Amount
$317,425,743

GOOD LUCK FOLKS.
Grand Prize - A Humble (Steam Key) Copy of Cyberpunk 2077.
Consolation Prizes - 3 Humble Monthies.

$349,876,129

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

That video shows we have ultimately been checkmated.

:drat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Clearly you have never engaged in the high-stakes role play combat experience and web purchasing mechanics.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Here is my detailed character bio:

She is bad and went to prison for being bad but is also good and the goodest who joined the military and immediately became admiral of the space and she is also super political and smart and wins at everything but had a dark side and is a smuggler so she gets into all the evil areas too and is the best at evil.

She pilot space ship the best. Has defeated countless numbers of space turtles and evil vandals and is the best. Ever. At everything. Always.

(Serious role players only plz im very picky)

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

The Titanic posted:

She is bad and went to prison for being bad but is also good and the goodest who joined the military and immediately became admiral of the space and she is also super political and smart and wins at everything but had a dark side and is a smuggler so she gets into all the evil areas too and is the best at evil.

She pilot space ship the best. Has defeated countless numbers of space turtles and evil vandals and is the best. Ever. At everything. Always.

No hot shot pilot love interest in her life?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Is she called Hunuh Horrginten?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Titanic posted:

Did she study marine biology and has she been the best sales person since she was a little girl and is she an aspiring but awful actress with a thing about feminine personal hair who hitched her wagon and her hands round the throat of a failed Hollywood producer who happened to tap into nerd lightning in a bottle, and has she now ridden on his coat tails as far as she can go so she's dumped him but still keeps pushing the Hollywood dream and if she can't make it then those nerd millions will make drat sure her kids do?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Are you one of the writers for Star Trek Discovery?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Crubbish.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
So out of all the things you'd think the dev team at CI need to be working on right now, this

would surely rank as the absolute, couldn't be any lower, nothing below this, bottom of the list, right? Like, if everything else bar one thing was fixed and working as intended, this would still be last. Right?

Err, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3c4EBnIVpE&ab

They are just trolling their fans now.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Honesty looking forward to the time ships can be adjusted like Oblivion and Skyrim.

I'd like to see the trails of space garbage from stuff that Fus Ro hosed itself out of the ship into space. Extra points when stuff bounces around so much the ship dies or it kills the players inside.

I think the most people will get here is sockets where you can buy "a coffee machine" and assign it to that socket, but you'll never be able to move around stuff like individual wine glasses arranged on a table dynamically.

Lol I can’t even imagine the hilarity that would ensue from the them trying to make all of the random clutter in the ships separate physics objects. Citizens getting impaled by wine glasses traveling at .5c. But that’s basically the vision. Chris has talked incessantly about being able to interact with every object in the game. To him Star Citizen will basically be finished when you can drop a coffee mug in a forest and another player can retrieve it a week later.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Don't know if you watch Soviet Womble's videos, but he did a short video essay series on the pitfalls of early access gaming. It's centered on DayZ, but it's all really relevant to CIG. Too bad Croberts still wouldn't learn anything from it.

I just finished watching part 1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LhmHO6qXf4

Parts 2 and 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtNtbPuUdFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ZO_Ffa11E

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I also just watched the chessboard clip and was thinking "what's the freaking point of a secret vent hatch that requires you to place a chess piece in a certain spot if everyone in the game knows how to open it" but then I kept watching and thought "what's the loving point of the secret chess hatch when you can just look at the floor vents and open them that way?!?"

FFS, this game makes no sense at all.

People spent time making that pointless poo poo.

Time of their lives they'll never get back.

edit- "In the future, you'll be able to potentially* change that stuff with permissions system"

*CIG reserves the right to completely forget about this for the new dumb thing they'll put out 6-12 months from now, just like the snub fighter in the Andromeda

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 14, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dooguk posted:

No hot shot pilot love interest in her life?

Love gets in the way of massive success and being the best at everything.

jarlywarly posted:

Is she called Hunuh Horrginten?

Hmmm... yes!

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Did she study marine biology and has she been the best sales person since she was a little girl and is she an aspiring but awful actress with a thing about feminine personal hair who hitched her wagon and her hands round the throat of a failed Hollywood producer who happened to tap into nerd lightning in a bottle, and has she now ridden on his coat tails as far as she can go so she's dumped him but still keeps pushing the Hollywood dream and if she can't make it then those nerd millions will make drat sure her kids do?

Honestly I know my bio was fantasy, but come on. Even this is too unrealistic for me. Next you'll also say she is a shoe designer, succeeded in her degree by playing doom 24/7, and did a class event where her employees all danced on the tables of the classroom showing off her bountiful skills at marketing and shoe making or something.

Come on. Nobody gonna believe that nonsense. :)

colonelwest posted:

Are you one of the writers for Star Trek Discovery?

Hmmm... yes!

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Ben fat

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jonny Shiloh posted:

So out of all the things you'd think the dev team at CI need to be working on right now, this

would surely rank as the absolute, couldn't be any lower, nothing below this, bottom of the list, right? Like, if everything else bar one thing was fixed and working as intended, this would still be last. Right?

Err, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3c4EBnIVpE&ab

They are just trolling their fans now.

The answer here is easy.

Skill of your art team: 10

Skill of your level team: 9

Skill of your programming team: 1

Skill required to move some new static mesh your art team made around a level the level designers made that doesn't require programming to do anything: 0

Expect this, more dumb stuff like this, and random CryEngine tutorials to comprise the next several years of development.

At least until CIG finds a capable Chinese company that can pound out something resembling a video game with an iota of stability with all of the art assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
ah gently caress me crobber saw an imposter venting while playing among us and ran into the office scraeming 'i want vents!'

so there.

now we have vents.

buy an idris