Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

evilbastard posted:

Noone has posted it yet, but here she is in an old Top Gear episode scaring Richard Hammond while trying to take a Ford Transit around Nurburgring in under 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc&t=55s

Note that her final lap in an stripped down Ford Transit van had an average speed of just under 122 km/h / 75 mph with drafting assist.

Nice one, thanks. This is what I was remembering. Well, there's others too, but the fact that she is scaring that wee shite is a bonus.
Hope she gets well, she seems really nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I just realized he walked into the fall path to make the last cut on the second tree :stare:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
amazing :allears:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjpd6mbfAA1s1ddrj.mp4

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I'm the guy who tries to slide tackle a horse

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

What can go wrong when you've got your hands in your pockets?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

aphid_licker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw

The thing at 1:50 is the most hair-raisingly ill-advised thing I've seen today

e: check out the guys at 5:52, that is kinda amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpa-U-36i6U

The first and third machines are hand smashers of the highest quality, but at least they're moving at such a speed that with great care you can avoid getting maimed. The second machine is straight up waiting to absolutely rip off limbs.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidfarrier/status/1327292226628583425

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

quote:

Flight attendant Nigel Ogden was entering the cockpit when there was a loud bang[5] and the cabin quickly filled with condensation. The left windscreen panel, on Lancaster's side of the flight deck, had separated from the forward fuselage; Lancaster was propelled out of his seat by the rushing air from the decompression and forced head first out of the flight deck. His knees were caught on the flight controls and his upper torso remained outside the aircraft, exposed to extreme wind and cold. The autopilot had disengaged, causing the plane to descend rapidly.[5] The flight deck door was blown inward onto the control console, blocking the throttle control (causing the aircraft to gain speed as it descended) and papers and debris blew into the flight deck from the passenger cabin. Ogden rushed to grab Lancaster's belt, while the other two flight attendants secured loose objects, reassured passengers, and instructed them to adopt brace positions in anticipation of an emergency landing.

The plane was not equipped with oxygen for everyone on board, so Atchison began a rapid emergency descent to reach an altitude with sufficient air pressure. He then re-engaged the autopilot and broadcast a distress call, but he was unable to hear the response from air traffic control because of wind noise; the difficulty in establishing two-way communication led to a delay in initiation of emergency procedures. Ogden, still holding on to Lancaster, was by now developing frostbite and exhaustion, so chief steward John Heward and flight attendant Simon Rogers took over the task of holding on to the captain.[6] By this time Lancaster had shifted several inches farther outside and his head was repeatedly striking the side of the fuselage. The crew believed him to be dead, but Atchison told the others to continue holding onto him, out of fear that letting go of him might cause him to strike the left wing, engine, or horizontal stabiliser, potentially damaging it.

Eventually, Atchison was able to hear the clearance from air traffic control to make an emergency landing at Southampton Airport. The flight attendants managed to free Lancaster's ankles from the flight controls while still keeping hold of him. At 08:55 local time (07:55 UTC), the aircraft landed at Southampton and the passengers disembarked using boarding steps.

Lancaster survived with frostbite, bruising, shock, and fractures to his right arm, left thumb and right wrist.[5][7] Ogden dislocated his shoulder and had frostbite on his face, with damage to one eye. There were no other major injuries.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Similar energy:

https://gallagherstory.com/ejection_seat/

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HOLY poo poo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The windshield was blown out, it didn't just "fall off". The episode of Air Crash Investigation on this accident is easily the best one they ever made and is a absolute pro-click. Just a warning if you watch this, you will want to find the entire series and watch them all. You should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNTHm2pvZTQ

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
An unusual meme

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sirotan posted:

Just a warning if you watch this, you will want to find the entire series and watch them all. You should.

Not available in my country due to copyright restrictions :smug: (:smith:)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

But also HOLY poo poo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

An unusual meme

$10,000? That must be a very old meme

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Orange Cassidy, the awkward teenage years.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALKc-vaHKs
indy-style wrestling is pretty OSHA

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 13, 2020

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Not available in my country due to copyright restrictions :smug: (:smith:)

I think that's because the show airs on one of the more obscure free channels every day at 8pm and they'd rather you sub to whatever on-demand service nobody's ever heard of has it, rather than see it for free on YouTube like the rest of the world. Which of course doesn't even have all of the episodes and probably has a custom player that's completely woeful. Copyright law is really loving stupid.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
There's also the fish mid-air collision

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

jesus christ

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
A bit back, but:

DelphiAegis posted:

Very apocryphal. If they left a dead body in the concrete, it'd eventually rot and leave a void which would likely cause the dam to collapse.

They probably got horrible concrete burns and died later or something, but they didn't leave them in there.

All very true, and this was why for decades everyone treated the local story about the horse and cart that fell into one of the piers of the Loch nan Uamh viaduct on the West Highland Railway in Scotland (built in the late 1890s by 'Concrete Bob' McAlpine and one of the first modern uses of mass structural concrete) as one of those urban myths that attaches itself to almost every large concrete structure.

In fact by the 1980s the legend said that the unfortunate horse was inside the more famous Glenfinnan viaduct further up the line. That was when a university professor drilled boreholes into the large piers of the Glenfinnan bridge and used a small fisheye camera to look for voids or horse remains and found nothing. Then in the late 90s he checked out the Loch nan Uamh viaduct with the same method and also found nothing. Later he returned with penetrating radar and saw the image of a cart with a horse's skeleton suspended above it at the bottom of a corner of the viaduct's enlarged central pier, suggesting that the cart slipped over the edge of the works, dragging the poor horse with it.

(The radar image is online and can be found with a google search, but I can't find a usable version to upload from my phone).

Edit: Thanks Cojawfee! :tipshat:

That enlarged pier has always been something of a mystery because there's no obvious reason for it to exist. It just looks like one of the viaduct's planned arches has been filled in solid. The original investigation with the boreholes showed that this pier - unlike all the others on this and the other viaduct's on the route - is not solid concrete but has concrete walls 9ft thick and a core (that which isn't occupied by the remains of a horse and cart...) filled with fine rubble. So now it's suggested that this unusual large central pier was built entirely to get around the problem of what to do with the deceased horse.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 13, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A dead horse presents a significant logistical challenge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It makes sense that they drilled holes and didn't find anything. They'd pretty much have to drill right in to it which means either getting really fuckin lucky, or putting so many holes in the pier that it would probably fall apart.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

ultrafilter posted:

A dead horse presents a significant logistical challenge.

Seems they found a way to beat it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

This kills the horse.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
poor freckles thought of air and died

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PathAsc posted:

Seems they found a way to beat it

nay

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

woah there wilbur

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

:discourse:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Now that I’m working safety again I’m back to my Friday afternoon routine of an hour of reading NIOSH fatality investigations for... is inspiration the right word? I like to learn from mistakes and they don’t always have to be my own.

Here’s the site if anyone is interested, and there’s some huge 300 page PDFs of them by type I can dig up when I’m not exhausted.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/inhouse.html

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjq5mv1p3l1r0uzl6.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 13, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I wanna see the spider driving the car

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

This guy shut down I-25 southbound in Wyoming today for about 5 hours.

Those "do not drive light trucks on this road because of 70mph winds" sign postings are not just a suggestion.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Is this a jeep thing? I don't understand.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is this a jeep thing? I don't understand.

Jeeps are like turtles

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Huh....roll cage canopy didnt collapse.

Lucky.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Azhais posted:

Jeeps are like turtles

The Jeep lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, spinning its wheels, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

The Jeep lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, spinning its wheels, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?

What's a jeep?

"Ever seen a Suzuki Jimny? Same thing."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zopotantor posted:

Because the driver won’t stop talking about how he drives a jeep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/QyeRxUL.mp4