Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Isometric Bacon posted:

Lol at extrapolating my comments to be anything like the above. I explicitly said the show was doing a good job of introducing these things without alienating the audience.

My main point was you're implicitly tying into some other lore introduced elsewhere, and it could detract from telling your own unique story.

You also explicitly said you're kinda worried. Why? You're worried about nothing tbh. What I said about doomsayers is what the argument you're making boils down to tbh. It's ok if you don't care about the 'cartoons' because they won't be required viewing to enjoy The Mandalorian. I'm sure Filoni/Favreau know it's Mando's story that makes the show work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Hazo posted:

God drat, it just occurred to me that Bo-Katan was at least as old as Saw in TCW, and we see her now looking in pretty decent shape, while we saw Saw like ten years prior to this and he looked like absolute poo poo.

I mean, he was pretty hosed up

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

IBroughttheFunk posted:

From what I have learned from various Star Wars shows, the Mon Calamari are supposed to be renowned shipbuilders. Which made the patch-job that one guy did on Mando's ship all the funnier to me because it was such absolute poo poo.

Yeah, but do you think if you took your yacht to a boatyard in Monaco to be repaired by the finest workers around you're going to get slightly different results than going to a guy that usually spends his time welding patches over holes in tuna boats while telling everyone about how Belichick sucks without Brady?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

It was written by the same man. Almost if there’s a story going on.

Also shut up lmao

If you don't like reading discussions of the events of the Mandalorian, click the little X in the top right of your browser and close the thread. Bye bye.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uziduke posted:

Nice Katee Sackhoff getting more roles. I so didn't notice her with red hair. When her name came up in the credits, I was like ohhhhh.

She's been working pretty steady since galactica. Multiple movies, 6 seasons of Longmire, working on season 2 of another life

When does this take place, between 6 and 7?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

To further expound on the potential of introducing characters from Rebels/Clone Wars/books/whatever being problematic to The Mandalorian from a narrative standpoint, the important thing to remember is that characters from those shows will be almost certainly be unknown to a large majority of The Mandalorian's audience. I'm sure Favreau/Filoni have taken that into account; it would be dumb not to. Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, Rex, or whoever else the show runners decide to cull from wherever will likely be written as essentially new characters integrating into Mando's on-going narrative. Bo-Katan's [edit] and Cobb Vanth's introductions are already evidence of that. Just because certain characters existed in a previous show/book/whatever doesn't make The Mandalorian's narrative including them any less unique imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 14, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Well, everything up until this point has maintained the tone/scope that made the show great in the first place. I think your concerns are misplaced.

I think it actually helps add some Star Wars Feels for people who haven't watched those cartoons. Back in '77 they were name checking Emperors and Clone Wars and it SOUNDED cool and you were intrigued by the world they sketched out around the characters and let you fill in with your imagination and throwaway lines. Like, what I wouldn't give to be trepanned and experience the 1981 surprise of that weird goblin revealing himself as Master Yoda.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

teagone posted:

You also explicitly said you're kinda worried. Why? You're worried about nothing tbh. What I said about doomsayers is what the argument you're making boils down to tbh. It's ok if you don't care about the 'cartoons' because they won't be required viewing to enjoy The Mandalorian. I'm sure Filoni/Favreau know it's Mando's story that makes the show work.

I stated the reason I was worried that everything in star wars often becomes an explicit reference to something that came before it. Usually in the form of fan service or heavy handed references.

This series has a history of tying in explicit fan service / heavy handed references to stuff with bad results. See the sequels doubling down on Palpatine. All the constant retconning in Solo. Hell even the prequels did this with Jango and baby Boba, Chewbacca and Yoda knowing each other... Apparently we were saved mid-draft from baby Han Solo.

Again, also said, I think the Mandalorian is doing all of this well. The 'concern' is just from a preference for it to tell its own stories.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Trust in Filoni.

[edit]

Just to be clear, I get what you're saying; even Filoni's 2nd episode that he directed last season had a pretty bad case of crappy callbacks and references (imo). But for the most part, the show has maintained strong consistency in its well executed fanservice that adds to/embellishes the story and doesn't call attention to itself. I think it's important to make the distinction between just throwing a character in for the sake of fanservice that adds nothing to the story (like the You'll be dead guy in Rogue One) and integrating characters like Ahsoka and Bo-Katan into The Mandalorian.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 14, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Anyone else getting nervous watching baby Yoda staring at those tadpoles? And at the end of the episode we only see one :ohdear: though maybe very few actually hatch, which would explain why Mrs. Frog wasn't more upset about some of them eaten.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

From what I have learned from various Star Wars shows, the Mon Calamari are supposed to be renowned shipbuilders. Which made the patch-job that one guy did on Mando's ship all the funnier to me because it was such absolute poo poo.

Like, why did he even need to drape the seats with fish nets? The seats were one of the few things that weren't damaged. No reason, just throw it in there with the rope and seaweed and whatever the hell.

I mean, he explicitly told Mando that he couldn't fix it, but would make it fly again, so I'd say Mando got what he paid for plus a free cockpit makeover.

Also, as someone who has not watched the various cartoons or whatever, I don't feel like I'm missing anything or the references are interfering with the show. Mando doesn't know who these people are any more than I do, so we get to find out together.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Azhais posted:

She's been working pretty steady since galactica. Multiple movies, 6 seasons of Longmire, working on season 2 of another life

Five years after Endor in 6

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gully Foyle posted:

Also, as someone who has not watched the various cartoons or whatever, I don't feel like I'm missing anything or the references are interfering with the show. Mando doesn't know who these people are any more than I do, so we get to find out together.

Right, exactly. The narrative won't suddenly become any less unique/different/hindered/whatever than it has been just because a character — who again, is likely brand new to a lot of people — is written in. These pre-existing characters are partaking in a fresh narrative for fans of the animated shows/books too. They're not revisiting some other storied/historic event, unlike say, Han meeting Chewie/getting the Falcon and doing the Kessel Run in Solo or the rebels retrieving the Death Star plans in Rogue One. All of this is new, uncharted territory for every Star Wars fan.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 14, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

If you don't like reading discussions of the events of the Mandalorian, click the little X in the top right of your browser and close the thread. Bye bye.

You don’t own this thread lmfao

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

You don’t own this thread lmfao

You're right. Which I why I haven't been telling people that their lines of conversation need to be stopped. You're the one that's loving pissed that someone is talking about the events of an episode. If you do not like being discussing The Mandalorian in a thread dedicated to The Mandalorian, you don't have to stay. Bye.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I simply told you to shut up, not the thread.

Stop acting like that. It’s insane my dude.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

jivjov posted:

You're right. Which I why I haven't been telling people that their lines of conversation need to be stopped. You're the one that's loving pissed that someone is talking about the events of an episode. If you do not like being discussing The Mandalorian in a thread dedicated to The Mandalorian, you don't have to stay. Bye.

Dude, chill out. You're acting like a huge loving rear end in a top hat. There's a reason you're banned from other Star Wars threads cause you act like a jerk.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I like how when they are pinned down not able to Flight 93 the bridge, Mando's big plan is to realize that his 90% Damage Reduction epic quality armor set makes him tank spec.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Entertainment will never ever work like this.

You literally have an avatar avatar

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like how when they are pinned down not able to Flight 93 the bridge, Mando's big plan is to realize that his 90% Damage Reduction epic quality armor set makes him tank spec.

I was waiting for him to bullrush in there. But the repeated fire hosed him up.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Isometric Bacon posted:

Am I the only one who's a little bit worried about the fact that this show is tying itself directly into events and characters from the cartoons?

Not to disrespect those shows, (I've never really watched them outside a couple of episodes, which I've been told were bad ones) but it's one of those shows where there's a ton of characters, a zillion episodes, a litany of backstory and all created in the guise of a kids television series.

I liked that the Mandalorian was doing its own thing and could explore the Star Wars universe from a different angle. One of the worst things about Star Wars post-Jedi is that everything ends up being a callback or reference to something that happened before, and all the world building about the universe feels less and less real as everything directly related to something else.

It also can bind the shows writing direction into a never ending argument about canon bullshit.

So far this program is doing a good job of it, of course, which speaks to the shows quality and relieves me a bit. I didn't know that Olyphant or Sackhoff were characters that had appeared before, nor that the darksaber or whatever it is was a thing.

Counterpoint. None of that poo poo matters.

I haven't read any of the new SW novels. So I never knew about Cobb appearing there until told here. I had zero problems watching Timothy Olyphant Raylan Givens his way through The Mandalorian.

I've watched maybe one or two Clone Wars episodes, none of which involved Bo-Katan. While I saw the character in Rebels, she made no real impression on me. Prior to Googling her, my takeaway from this episode was "Hells Yes! Katie Sackhoff AKA Starbuck is in Star Wars! Woo-hoo!"

If you've somehow never heard the name "Ahsoka Tano" before this episode... so what? You know this is a significant character because she's a Jedi (yes, not really it's complicated, but still).

If you've never watched Star Wars outside the original three films before watching TM... so what? There's been enough exposition to let this show tell it's own story.

For my part I like that a lot of the characters on this show have their own histories and pasts that have been established on previous shows. People familiar with Bo-Katan can get a chuckle out the idea that Din is accusing The Mandalore herself of being insufficiently Mandalorian. People unfamiliar with her realize that she's a different kind of Mandalorian with serious ambitions of rulership and wants to smoke Moff Gideon and get that weird lightsaber back. And that's all you really need to know about her right now.

I mean, it's not like The Mandalorian is locked behind some kind of Test Wall where you have to answer trivia questions about The Clone Wars or Rebels ro be allowed to see it or something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vintersorg posted:

I was waiting for him to bullrush in there. But the repeated fire hosed him up.

It's like he's still getting used to his fancy armor. Bo should have Might Ducks'd him

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes-every-star-wars-fan-should-watch/

How good is this guide/list? I watched the first episode of season 1 and it was Yoda fan service the whole time. Not that it was bad but kinda meh. I enjoyed the four or five clones that were with him, they were the most interesting part of the episode.

Also, should I watch the theatrical release first?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes-every-star-wars-fan-should-watch/

How good is this guide/list? I watched the first episode of season 1 and it was Yoda fan service the whole time. Not that it was bad but kinda meh. I enjoyed the four or five clones that were with him, they were the most interesting part of the episode.

This is the list I followed years ago. I’d pretty much written the series off after the movie and first season, but that list worked well and got me invested in the show.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cartoon Man posted:

The theatrical release was apparently a garbage fire on ice. But if you just super-duper NEED to have the complete Ahsoka Tano, that is the first time she appears.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched some of it. It kinda got a bit old quick but there was some cool poo poo I saw like the arc where anakin speaks to the physical representation of the light and dark, and the last 4 episodes of the last season.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Guess I’ll watch the theatrical movie since it introduces Ahsoka and I’m curious about her past. How bad can it really be?
:shepface:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azhais posted:

Haven't seen Longmire but Another Life was astoundingly terrible and somehow managed to make her look like a strung out junkie rather than a professional 40 year old actor. I was happy to see she looked normal in Mando.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cartoon Man posted:

Guess I’ll watch the theatrical movie since it introduces Ahsoka and I’m curious about her past. How bad can it really be?

Do not do this unless you want to see how Baby Yoda could have gone so, so wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cartoon Man posted:

Eh. I never saw it and I got who Ashoka is.

Look up her wiki

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haven't seen Longmire but Another Life was astoundingly terrible and somehow managed to make her look like a strung out junkie rather than a professional 40 year old actor. I was happy to see she looked normal in Mando.

She’s also a semi-frequent guest villain on The Flash sporting a delightfully intentionally awful Cockney accent for no loving reason. It’s great.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Everyone posted:

Counterpoint. None of that poo poo matters.

I haven't read any of the new SW novels. So I never knew about Cobb appearing there until told here. I had zero problems watching Timothy Olyphant Raylan Givens his way through The Mandalorian.

I've watched maybe one or two Clone Wars episodes, none of which involved Bo-Katan. While I saw the character in Rebels, she made no real impression on me. Prior to Googling her, my takeaway from this episode was "Hells Yes! Katie Sackhoff AKA Starbuck is in Star Wars! Woo-hoo!"

If you've somehow never heard the name "Ahsoka Tano" before this episode... so what? You know this is a significant character because she's a Jedi (yes, not really it's complicated, but still).

If you've never watched Star Wars outside the original three films before watching TM... so what? There's been enough exposition to let this show tell it's own story.

For my part I like that a lot of the characters on this show have their own histories and pasts that have been established on previous shows. People familiar with Bo-Katan can get a chuckle out the idea that Din is accusing The Mandalore herself of being insufficiently Mandalorian. People unfamiliar with her realize that she's a different kind of Mandalorian with serious ambitions of rulership and wants to smoke Moff Gideon and get that weird lightsaber back. And that's all you really need to know about her right now.

I mean, it's not like The Mandalorian is locked behind some kind of Test Wall where you have to answer trivia questions about The Clone Wars or Rebels ro be allowed to see it or something.

To add weight to this post - this is me. I have never seen an episode of any of the cartoons, and I didn't know Bo-Katan was a pre-existing character until I caught up on the thread this morning, and the episode ruled. I fully understood all of the implications that our Mando is actually a bit of a weirdo and these Mandalorians clearly came from a larger more mainstream group, and the implication that this Bo-Katan was kind of a big deal and humouring his weird religious zealotry. I don't feel like I missed out on anything at all by not knowing who she was prior to watching.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Eh. I never saw it and I got who Ashoka is.

Look up her wiki

Yeah, the movie just has her show up and tell Anakin she's his new intern - she doesn't have any more backstory than Obi-Wan did before Episode I.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Cartoon Man posted:

The Jedi council says to Anakin “we’re giving you a padawan” and Ahsoka walks off a shuttle or something and says “sup I’m your padawan.” There’s no backstory (until I think in the clone wars series). That’s literally it.

Seriously, it’s really bad.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol I gotta watch it now. Gonna be tomorrow’s challenge.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol I gotta watch it now. Gonna be tomorrow’s challenge.

Experience Bij, Star Wars edition

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Experience Bij, Star Wars edition

Surely that would be this.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CelticPredator posted:

Problem is Disney sucks rear end and wants to have all the money in the world

probably.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vintersorg posted:

Dude, chill out. You're acting like a huge loving rear end in a top hat. There's a reason you're banned from other Star Wars threads cause you act like a jerk.

I've not been banned from any Star Wars threads. I voluntarily toxxed out of the CineD one because I was tired of "Jakku is Tatooine renamed" being treated as canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I am somewhat disappointed that frog lady did not get an actual name.