Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Probably one of the better case scenarios is that we get a solid season 1 that is as faithful to the book as is reasonably possible. It does terribly and is super expensive and the show is canceled after season 2 (I think season 2 is more or less confirmed at this point) and regardless of the quality of season 2, season 1 stands on its own and we can go back and watch it and say, "Oh, what could have been."

NinjaDebugger posted:

I received the sixth book as a gift, and I was too poor to buy the rest, and to far from the library to even see if they had them.

I had a friend in high school who got I think book 8 as their introduction to the series because an aunt thought it had a neat cover and the kid liked that fantasy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Gonna be really upset if we don’t get the Perrin Goldeneyes in the Two Rivers plotline. Just listened to the battle chapter and it’s so good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

buffalo all day posted:

Gonna be really upset if we don’t get the Perrin Goldeneyes in the Two Rivers plotline. Just listened to the battle chapter and it’s so good.

if the show gets far enough it's absolutely going to be a guarantee. that stuff is character-defining for him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Atlas Hugged posted:

Probably one of the better case scenarios is that we get a solid season 1 that is as faithful to the book as is reasonably possible. It does terribly and is super expensive and the show is canceled after season 2 (I think season 2 is more or less confirmed at this point) and regardless of the quality of season 2, season 1 stands on its own and we can go back and watch it and say, "Oh, what could have been."

I had a friend in high school who got I think book 8 as their introduction to the series because an aunt thought it had a neat cover and the kid liked that fantasy stuff.

Yeah, the nice thing about the first three books is the first and third stand on their own and ending at the end of either would be a fine wrapup for a series.

Eye especially is just paced really, really well for a single series adaptation, there is a natural break almost exactly every fifty pages, as if he were planning a miniseries when he wrote it.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://www.wotseries.com/2020/11/02/scoop-wheel-of-time-production-halted-until-april-2021/

Ugh, I was really hoping for a spring or summer 2021 release. Best case now is fall/winter.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

th3t00t posted:

https://www.wotseries.com/2020/11/02/scoop-wheel-of-time-production-halted-until-april-2021/

Ugh, I was really hoping for a spring or summer 2021 release. Best case now is fall/winter.

:sigh:

Predictable but depressing nevertheless.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have to think that the constant start/stop nature of production is going to seriously affect the actors and team in general.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

At this point we're fully expecting that TEotW will take the entire first season--they're shooting Fal Dara sequences in block 4 (episodes 7 and 8) so they might be for letting the series breathe.

I was pretty convinced that they might have crammed TGH into season 1 based on episode titles and some other ancillary hints, but I think that theory has been definitively debunked.

Quite the opposite -- we are pretty sure that 1-4/8 are Eye, and 5-8 are Hunt. See titles at https://dragonmount.com/tv/s1/episodes/ , particularly the title of episode 5. Interestingly, from announced casting they seem to be doing a good bit of New Spring, too. any TV show with lots of location work is, like a movie, shot out of order.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Swinging by to say I just started the Wheel of Time! I’m on chapter five, and I’m enjoying it immensely so far! I have been wanting to read this series for 10+ years, and now I have the time to do it. Robert Jordan’s writing is already so goddamn immersive in the best way possible, and it has me excited for this entire series as a “personal project,” if you will. I’ll be avoiding spoilers.

:stoked:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Loveshaft posted:

Swinging by to say I just started the Wheel of Time! I’m on chapter five, and I’m enjoying it immensely so far! I have been wanting to read this series for 10+ years, and now I have the time to do it. Robert Jordan’s writing is already so goddamn immersive in the best way possible, and it has me excited for this entire series as a “personal project,” if you will. I’ll be avoiding spoilers.

Please post your impressions and theories as you go through the series, it's always appreciated

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grats, it's a fun ride. the second book is where it starts picking up into its rhythm and starts differing itself more from the lord of the rings-ish kinda vibe from the first book, and i think a lot of people consider some of those really early, series-defining books to be very good in general.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DarkHorse posted:

Please post your impressions and theories as you go through the series, it's always appreciated

Yes, please!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Also be kind everyone, no untagged spoilers for our friend here :)

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

EotW remains one of the best books in fantasy, period. The great hunt is also great.

Enjoy goonfriend!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Loveshaft posted:

Please post your impressions and we will be very nice and not spoil anything for you!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you’re already enjoying you’re in for a treat. It’s a long ride so make sure to take breaks and enjoy the view.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

About halfway through Gathering Storm on my reread. This is some good poo poo, even if Sanderson's dialogue sometimes feels more like an action movie to Jordan's high fantasy stage play. Sanderson still does pretty well in the rest of the prose, I think.

I like that Sanderson makes it explicit that yep, Gawyn is kind of a dumb idiot by mentioning how he was never very good at Stones.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JOHN SKELETON posted:

About halfway through Gathering Storm on my reread. This is some good poo poo, even if Sanderson's dialogue sometimes feels more like an action movie to Jordan's high fantasy stage play. Sanderson still does pretty well in the rest of the prose, I think.

I like that Sanderson makes it explicit that yep, Gawyn is kind of a dumb idiot by mentioning how he was never very good at Stones.

I rather appreciate that of all the major characters, including numerous main female ones, the only one who can be reasonably called "pretty but dumb" is Gawyn.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

jng2058 posted:

I rather appreciate that of all the major characters, including numerous main female ones, the only one who can be reasonably called "pretty but dumb" is Gawyn.

Elayne though?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She’s not dumb she’s just rich.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Speaking of Sanderson, he has a bunch of interesting content related to Wheel of Time on YouTube. For example https://youtu.be/MITTIur3Ytk about how he got started with the series.

There's also an interview with Daniel Greene: https://youtu.be/FLPGhJOFEoE where Sanderson talks about his writing process and how he uses many beta readers. Somehow none of the beta readers caught how lame Padan Fain's end is. Which does put the whole process into question.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

bloom posted:

Elayne though?

Elayne's in over her head, inadequately advised, and fails to think things through, but she isn't fundamentally stupid. One you look at things through the perspective she was approaching them from, what she does usually makes sense.

Gawyn is a straight up dumbass.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Please don't spoil things for our new reader friend :(

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

JOHN SKELETON posted:

There's also an interview with Daniel Greene: https://youtu.be/FLPGhJOFEoE where Sanderson talks about his writing process and how he uses many beta readers. Somehow none of the beta readers caught how lame Padan Fain's end is. Which does put the whole process into question.
I recently finished my readthrough and I am still baffled by Sanderson's poor grasp of the One Power. You'd think that over the course of three books SOMEONE would have noticed that there were people channeling without mention of embracing or having been holding the Source, or that laypeople suddenly had knowledge of weave types, or that there are basically no descriptions of what it feels like to hold saidar or (particularly) saidin. At they very least they cut out they very weird usage of the otherwise unmodified word capital-P "Power" from ToM for aMoL, because I feel like that would have driven me nuts.

While I'm complaining, I also want to point out that in Sanderson's books not once is the sound of Moiraine's voice described, despite there being some very good places for it. I can see how a lot of things could slip through, but that's pretty unforgivable.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gnoman posted:

Elayne's in over her head, inadequately advised, and fails to think things through, but she isn't fundamentally stupid. One you look at things through the perspective she was approaching them from, what she does usually makes sense.

Gawyn is a straight up dumbass.

Like, she's snooty, but she's also willing to get her hands dirty doing basically anything necessary to keep the adventure going to a much greater extent than Nynaeve, her usual partner. The problem is two of her major tasks at the end she was literally not allowed due to authorial fiat to solve the issues. She couldn't take Andor because claiming the throne is inextricably tied to the Caemlyn Shadow Plot, and she couldn't solve the Caemlyn Shadow Plot because it absolutely has to happen, so every time she gets near the problems she gets the reverse Deus ex Machina effect, an anti-ta'veren if you will. This is something I seriously hope the showrunners avoid doing.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Like, she's snooty, but she's also willing to get her hands dirty doing basically anything necessary to keep the adventure going to a much greater extent than Nynaeve, her usual partner. The problem is two of her major tasks at the end she was literally not allowed due to authorial fiat to solve the issues. She couldn't take Andor because claiming the throne is inextricably tied to the Caemlyn Shadow Plot, and she couldn't solve the Caemlyn Shadow Plot because it absolutely has to happen, so every time she gets near the problems she gets the reverse Deus ex Machina effect, an anti-ta'veren if you will. This is something I seriously hope the showrunners avoid doing.

I have to suspect that that's one of those bits where Jordan had written the beginning and end, with Sanderson having to find some way to fill in the middle. At least, I remember that being in Sanderson's part of the series.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Gnoman posted:

I have to suspect that that's one of those bits where Jordan had written the beginning and end, with Sanderson having to find some way to fill in the middle. At least, I remember that being in Sanderson's part of the series.

Yeah I'd say so -- RJ gave her the one big unexpected setback, though you could say that it was a good one to also net her the end of the Caemlyn siege, but Brandon definitely leaned into it way too hard--going through the last few books I think he's the one directly responsible for her actually looking like a fool, first with her being there during the scheduled dungeon breakout, then with the Mellar thing at the end. It honestly does the character a disservice.

It's not like it wasn't an obvious trap for the author to fall into, and one for BS to have known to avoid, I mean that's basically Faile's entire Malden arc.

Speaking of that Faile's entire Malden arc, ho boy was Brandon Sanderson loving disgusting when he tried to whitewash the Mera'din in TGS.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 15, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Speaking of that Faile's entire Malden arc, ho boy was Brandon Sanderson loving disgusting when he tried to whitewash the Mera'din in TGS.

Uhh, what?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

UltraRed posted:

Uhh, what?

The little campfire circle where Faile and her companions burn the Mera'din's effects has really dumb and clumsy dialogue. Similarly, Mat's sequence where he takes out the gholam. Consent issues are not a thing RJ waflles on, he comes down really hard against any form of removing consent--it is a villainous act in his writing in this series and death (or, in this setting, an extreme variety of ironic compeuppance) is almost invariably involved. Giving perpetrators posthumous unearned absolution stands out like a sore thumb.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
There's actually a ton of nuance to the whole meradin situation from taking gaishan being a misapplied cultural norm to them protecting Faile and some of the other women from those who were violating the norm even further than the meradin were comfortable with. It seemed to me that RJ was intentionally setting the reader up with sympathy for the captors and empathy for the stockholm syndrome of the captured so that the brutal violence of the rescue really came off as a complex moment of relief, horror, grief, and worry rather than the end of a save-the-princess fairytale.

All that said, I agree that Sanderson mishandled the resolution. I think it might have been better to just leave it out altogether and let the end of book 11 stand on its own on the subject.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

aparmenideanmonad posted:

There's actually a ton of nuance to the whole meradin situation from taking gaishan being a misapplied cultural norm to them protecting Faile and some of the other women from those who were violating the norm even further than the meradin were comfortable with. It seemed to me that RJ was intentionally setting the reader up with sympathy for the captors and empathy for the stockholm syndrome of the captured so that the brutal violence of the rescue really came off as a complex moment of relief, horror, grief, and worry rather than the end of a save-the-princess fairytale.

All that said, I agree that Sanderson mishandled the resolution. I think it might have been better to just leave it out altogether and let the end of book 11 stand on its own on the subject.

There are definitely complexities and confounders elsewhere too--for example, what are we to make of Tuon's arc without considering that she could also easily become a victim of the system herself? But yes, it's the sendoff scene that is at issue here, one that should've been left on the cutting room floor.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think the send off added much, but I kinda get why it was there. They took part in killing the people who were helping them escape in the heat of battle. They kept it a secret from the main group because they didn't want them to know that they killed those who were actually trying to aide them. iirc One of the escapees knifed the man who was trying to save her.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Think I just got peak Jordan in book 10.

Entire chapter with Matt spent loving about the circus, when suddenly someone bursts in saying they detected a disturbance in the force saidin. Me, being the reader, gets excited because oh poo poo, that's Rand cleaning the taint lol and now we will have resolution to the confusing, but incredibly pivotal and important, mess that was the ending of book 9....

Cut to some new pov of a never before seen seachan schmuck, as he fucks around doing his taxes and pondering the strange actions of --his vaguely racist-- "savage" servant.

gently caress you, RJ.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

Entire chapter with Matt spent loving about the circus, when suddenly someone bursts in saying they detected a disturbance in the force saidin. Me, being the reader, gets excited because oh poo poo, that's Rand cleaning the taint lol and now we will have resolution to the confusing, but incredibly pivotal and important, mess that was the ending of book 9....

Cut to some new pov of a never before seen seachan schmuck, as he fucks around doing his taxes and pondering the strange actions of --his vaguely racist-- "savage" servant.

gently caress you, RJ.

Writing cockblock. I love it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Famethrowa posted:

gently caress you, RJ.

Oh wow. Please report back to us when you read further/finish the book :)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know whether I like the fact nobody gives a poo poo/believes the taint has been cleansed or not. On one hand it subverts expectations, on the other it’s exhausting after dealing with it for two books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t know whether I like the fact nobody gives a poo poo/believes the taint has been cleansed or not. On one hand it subverts expectations, on the other it’s exhausting after dealing with it for two books.

I like that the issue becomes completely irrelevant in the face of overwhelming desperation.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

:psyduck:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it seems kinda realistic in way, for as much as something like that could be. when something's been hosed for forever it's hard to believe that it might be perfectly fine again.

especially when notoriously unreliable narrators are most of the source for the information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah its worth remembering that Literally everyone who could confirm it is a man who channels and uh already has the whole 'falling into madness' thing baked in. Or one of the vanishingly small number of women who has linked into a circle with a man before and after the cleanse and can tell the difference in Saidin.

It would take decades to fully prove it especially since it doesn't retroactively remove the damage already done so a lot of the male channelers who have already been channeling are still pretty insane or just barely holding it together and will cause more incidents over the coming years.