Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I swear to god that during a war I just engaged in I captured two children, then randsomed them back for 185 each, and yet my income didn't budge from 50 gold. I think I've seen this before too. Gotta be a bug or maybe I'm crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Femtosecond posted:

I swear to god that during a war I just engaged in I captured two children, then randsomed them back for 185 each, and yet my income didn't budge from 50 gold. I think I've seen this before too. Gotta be a bug or maybe I'm crazy.

When you have the Demand payment perk that allows you to ask for 300 gold for hooks, your ransoms all appear to be 300 gold too but what you actually get is what you'd normally get from that prisoner (50 for a count, 100 for a duke or whatever it is). I guess the ransom code is a bit bugged :v:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TorakFade posted:

When you have the Demand payment perk that allows you to ask for 300 gold for hooks, your ransoms all appear to be 300 gold too but what you actually get is what you'd normally get from that prisoner (50 for a count, 100 for a duke or whatever it is). I guess the ransom code is a bit bugged :v:

You can get around this by ransoming them for a favor and demanding payment for the hook. This is a somewhat tedious process for large amounts of prisoners though.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Won't someone rid me of this 5 learning priest?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Mauser posted:

There’s a cheese way of sending him off to educate someone’s kid, but I forget the right way to get it to work

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mauser posted:

Tyranny is simply wisdom on a finer scale.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mauser posted:

You can get rid of him at any time you like assuming you have sufficient intrigue and/or enough friends with good intrigue.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Trevor Hale posted:

There’s a cheese way of sending him off to educate someone’s kid, but I forget the right way to get it to work
That explains why my liege kept trying to educate my son with a poo poo priest

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I found out something semi-interesting, I had Ravenna as a theoratic duchy in my Catholic realm when I created a custom faith. I chose Spiritual head of Faith, and now it seems like the Spiritual HoF title is tied to whoever owns the bishopric of Ravenna. I can even assign this Pope as my Realm Priest, since I chose Temporal For Life for my chaplain selection. Here's what I observed:

1) While she has immense income, her taxable income appears to only be what she gets from her baron vassals and domain. This is the income based on "Level of Devotion". This means that having a Vassal Pope is nowhere near as strong as it was in CK2. Interestingly the UI on her profile claims she pays taxes to herself.
2) However, I also still get taxes from the realm's temple holdings, which seems to be counted completely separately. It doesn't appear to be tied to Level of Devotion, it's tied to Opinion as normal.

Really it's just nice having a landed Pope again. On a related note, somehow the Catholic Papacy became a Republic. I have no idea how this happened, except that when I took Rome away from him I made sure he had the little island duchy of Mallorca so he'd still be landed in case of Crusades so I could siege him down for an easy +50% war score. Don't really know why he's a republic, because none of his counties have a city capital. But then, none of them have temples either, just castles and one city (all of which the Catholic Pope holds directly). Being a Republic doesn't seem to change much about the Pope, he's still doing normal Pope stuff but he pays me Republican taxes. Which is probably for the best, since as a Theocratic vassal I'd doubt he'd give me much considering we don't share a faith.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

lurksion posted:

That's was what was just discussed.

Anyway:
Commander Trait -30
Innovation -10
Lifestyle Perk -10

Also broken walls reduces the time as well

Yeah this combination with siege weapons insanely reduces siege times. Especially when you break walls quickly.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Excelzior posted:

quoting the big reddit post where the whole system was detailed

So, using the parameters here, I tested this on my player heir from birth.

He started out with Charming so I decided to try and get his Diplomacy stat as high as I could. From birth, I warded him under a Genius with 17 Diplomacy and 11 Learning. Diplomacy was the default education focus so I never changed it.

After 16 years of tutelage the heir ended up with 2 Diplomacy and Naive Appeaser (1 star Diplomacy Education trait)

So yeah, that post is bullshit or they have made significant changes to the way this works.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

He started out with Charming so I decided to try and get his Diplomacy stat as high as I could. From birth, I warded him under a Genius with 17 Diplomacy and 11 Learning. Diplomacy was the default education focus so I never changed it.

After 16 years of tutelage the heir ended up with 2 Diplomacy and Naive Appeaser (1 star Diplomacy Education trait)

So yeah, that post is bullshit or they have made significant changes to the way this works.

We call that pulling a Don Jr

edit: pulling a Jeb would also be acceptable (my favorite late game activity is naming my children Jeb and then making them kings of places I don’t care about. Please clap)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

I have seen no rhyme or reason to how the base stat is generated (which is partially why I push so hard for Genius in my bloodlines), but the Education trait seems to match up well in my experience. I can't explain that particular child though.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Sucks too because I felt like this was a complete lock down, no way to gently caress it up scenario and when he waddled out I was like yeah....disinherited lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Midgetskydiver posted:

Did the Guardian die early on in the kids education? That's the only way I see that making any sense.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Midgetskydiver posted:

I mean you can go see for yourself in common\scripted_effects\00_education_effects.txt for the point tally process. education_point_acquisition_support_effect is what you want to be looking at. It gets called every birthday from 6-15 for the chance of a +2 score (through a rather convoluted chain of triggered events)

education_point_acquisition_support_effect <-
education_point_acquisition_effect <-
childhood_education.9002 (from events\education_and_childhood\childhood_education_events.txt) <-
childhood_education (from common\on_action\childhood_on_actions.txt) <-
on_birthday_education_events <-
on_birthday_childhood (from common\on_action\birthday.txt) <-
on_birthday

And then for assignment of the final trait, coming_of_age.0001 - coming_of_age.0005 from events\education_and_childhood\coming_of_age_events.txt, which is called after age 16 adulthood (via on_16th_birthday from common\on_action\childhood_on_actions.txt)

The values for education_level_1 to education_level_3 referred are defined in common\script_values\00_education_values.txt (>7, >11, >15).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 12, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So let's run the numbers then.

Genius 17 primary / 11 learning educator = 60 + 15 (genius) + 0.4 * 17 + 0.2 * 11 + 20 (trait match) = 104 vs 40 odds = 72.22% rank up per roll
We assume you assign your guardian when you get the popup at age 6. This is too late for the age 6 roll, which then occurs at 60 + 20 (trait match) / 40 + 20 (no guardian) = 57.14%
Then you get 9 rolls of 72.22%

If you succeed at your first no bonus roll, then consider the chance of getting 4/9 or less on the rest of the rolls is 7.39%
0.5714 * 0.0739 = 4.22%
If you fail at your first roll, then consider the chance of 5/9 or less on the rest (22.13%)
0.4286 * 0.2213 = 9.48%

Overall that's a 13.7% of getting a tier 2 education or lower for your kid.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 12, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I assigned the guardian at age 1. I befriended the genius about 6 months after the kid was born and immediately made him the tutor. The tutor is still alive at like age 53

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Midgetskydiver posted:

I assigned the guardian at age 1. I befriended the genius about 6 months after the kid was born and immediately made him the tutor. The tutor is still alive at like age 53

Ok, so you got unlucky. triggering a <10% chance on a single attempt is not proof that the maths is wrong.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 12, 2020

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011
Which honestly seems to be part of the experience - meticulously planning a dynastic changeover only to be derailed by an idiot heir

I‘ve never played any of the other games in the series before and I‘m learning that it‘s all about trainwrecking your way into greatness and I love it so much

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

happyphage posted:

Which honestly seems to be part of the experience - meticulously planning a dynastic changeover only to be derailed by an idiot heir

I‘ve never played any of the other games in the series before and I‘m learning that it‘s all about trainwrecking your way into greatness and I love it so much

It's also one of the few games I've played where a loss isn't the end of the game. I've been bumped down to count only to crawl back to the top in a generation.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Blimpkin posted:

It's also one of the few games I've played where a loss isn't the end of the game. I've been bumped down to count only to crawl back to the top in a generation.

tbh those "oh you absolute fuckers! I will have my revenge upon you and 7 generations of your kin!" moments of getting knocked down and clawing your way back up usually ended up most of the fun for me

it's boring being a massive continent-spanning blob whose only threat is inertia

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

Excelzior posted:

tbh those "oh you absolute fuckers! I will have my revenge upon you and 7 generations of your kin!" moments of getting knocked down and clawing your way back up usually ended up most of the fun for me

it's boring being a massive continent-spanning blob whose only threat is inertia

:same:

It's a lot of fun to start scheming against lieges! I also like clawing back holdings from siblings as I play, but maybe that's just me

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Is there a way in CK3, be it mods or file editing or whatever, to change the color of your realm, specifically if it's a created empire (not a de jure one)?

My wife's game it ended up that the color of her empire is nearly identical to two very large kingdoms on either side of her and it makes looking at the map rather difficult. I tried editing a couple things in landed_titles but I don't think they affect custom empires, and the saves are no longer plain text.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there a way in CK3, be it mods or file editing or whatever, to change the color of your realm, specifically if it's a created empire (not a de jure one)?

My wife's game it ended up that the color of her empire is nearly identical to two very large kingdoms on either side of her and it makes looking at the map rather difficult. I tried editing a couple things in landed_titles but I don't think they affect custom empires, and the saves are no longer plain text.

heres the skinny:

disable cloud saves
save your game to your drive and then go and find it, it should be in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games

right click the save and extract it like its a zip file, you can use 7z for this but im sure anything else works as well
this will give you a file called 'gamestate'
rename gamestate to whatever you want but make sure it ends with .ck3, so like colormod.ck3

now you need to find the custom empire, i usually name it something totally unique before i save so i can find it easier, but searching for the name of the title shouldnt bring up too many hits. you'll know you found it because it'll be called x_x_ and some numbers, which is what the game uses for dynamically generated stuff. then you can change the 'color' field to whatever you want

strong bird fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 12, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

strong bird posted:

heres the skinny:

disable cloud saves
save your game to your drive and then go and find it, it should be in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games

right click the save and extract it like its a zip file, you can use 7z for this but im sure anything else works as well
this will give you a file called 'gamestate'
rename gamestate to whatever you want but make sure it ends with .ck3, so like colormod.ck3

now you need to find the custom empire, i usually name it something totally unique before i save so i can find it easier, but searching for the name of the title shouldnt bring up too many hits. you'll know you found it because it'll be called x_x_ and some numbers, which is what the game uses for dynamically generated stuff. then you can change the 'color' field to whatever you want

Thank you! I will file that away for later. She ended up just creating the "real" Mali (which I think then pulled from what we'd changed the landed_titles too because it's really close and not what I thought it was previously) and destroyed the custom one because she had a billion prestige to waste and met the requirements. This is definitely helpful though.

For clarity btw, where do I put colormod.ck3?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

colormod.ck3 (or whatever you rename gamestate to) is the new save file which you'll be loading to see the effects of your edit

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I did that because dammit, Irish Britannia should be green, I say.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i pretty much always end up making a custom empire and then changing the CoA and color

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One thing I found when modding CoAs is that there seems to be a limit on how many elements you can have. I tried recreating the CoA for Syria from CK1 (Cross of Jerusalem on a red background, three gold fleurs on a blue chief, but the game would invariably crash any time I tried to insert a coat of arms with this many elements. Thankfully the alcantara cross is pretty cool looking so I stuck with that.

Visible in the battle picture I posted last page:

I'm really looking forward to the time when they get a coat of arms designer released so I don't have to do the main menu/save list dance as I get the thing looking right. Shame it's not next patch but ruler designer is cool too.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Found a bug with the Find A Spouse filters. I've been marrying off extra daughters/sisters/etc matrilinealy to unlanded men that are heirs to various titles. To find these men I've been filtering the list for anyone with a claim and scrolling through, checking the suitors' tooltips to see if they're first in line to inherit anything. I've done this so much there are now a lot of my dynasts out there, and when I try to filter out my dynasty it doesn't actually do anything.

If I filter it to just men of my dynasty then the entire list is empty, so there's definitely something wrong with the dynasty filter.

Edit:

Found another UI bug. Inspecting the tooltip for a character's health, and then checking the tooltip for health modifiers from religious tenets/doctrine, will name the player's religion in the Doctrine's tooltip instead of the correct one.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 13, 2020

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
In cool nickname news, the Avenging the Battle of Tours decision bestows "The Avenger" as a title.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Marvel movies are really getting into the weeds now

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

It’s amazing how rich you get after taking over the Paris duchy. I ended the game with like 180k in the bank

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's just the late game in general. Even with pretty regular holdings you should be rolling in cash as long as you aren't doing something silly like using your levies.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I'm extremely not a fan of this. It was only a 17 month war for a duchy but still...

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

I'm extremely not a fan of this. It was only a 17 month war for a duchy but still...

Yeah, this happens because you can't find an army to defeat, or don't get lucky with prisoners. Usually because the defender is in multiple wars. IMO, the size of the wargoal should strongly affect warscore. Like I declared a war over Alexandria and I needed a similar number of occupied counties just to take one county!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Could someone with more knowledge of programming/save editing please tell me why there's not a "change realm color" mod on the workshop? If it's easy to save edit, shouldn't that imply adding the function to the game should only be a step or so harder?

I know very, very little about these things so I could be very obviously wrong, but I would like to know.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Could someone with more knowledge of programming/save editing please tell me why there's not a "change realm color" mod on the workshop? If it's easy to save edit, shouldn't that imply adding the function to the game should only be a step or so harder?

I know very, very little about these things so I could be very obviously wrong, but I would like to know.

there never has been in any of the paradox engine games. its tied to the title and i dont think you can change anything about titles except stuff theyve already implemented themselves, like giving it a nickname. any time your color/flag/CoA changes in any of these games its either already implemented (changing name and flag in Victoria when you change system of government) or an entirely new tag/title (creating a new empire or country in Europa Universalis)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

You would have to create a mod that has a decision to change color, which then creates a new dynamic title with the appropriate color to replace your existing one. It would then need to copy de jure vassals/liege, title history, title laws, claimants, etc. It's a relatively complex set of actions, so I'm guessing no one has bothered to create it.