Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Fojar38 posted:

lol at the fact that some dipshits spent real money to try and own someone on a dead gay comedy forum in an attempt to honor glorious supreme leader xi dada

Ensuring that Xi Jinping thought is honoured is serious business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The point isn't to honour glorious xi, it is to make ooohboy go bananas in this thread. And he has obviously given them value for money.

Dude, wear it as a badge of pride. You made some tankie spend $30 to power the forum you, like myself, spend a good chunk of time on. In a couple of weeks they will forget about it and you can change it back. If they persist, I understand that there are things you can do in cooperation with the mod team

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

lol what

This is a new one, please tell us more.

My wife's cousin wanted to get my kid a poster of the night sky at his time of birth as a present for his first birthday, so she asked my wife what time he was born. My wife got offended because this is apparently not done in Chinese culture and her cousin should have known. My wife called her mom to verify and got a very loud "Ai-ya!", followed with the instadeath explanation.

I was told not to tell anyone when my kid was born, but she was like a year too late with that warning because I told my family pretty much immediately after he was born. She seems to be okay with that as long as I don't tell anyone else. Apparently being half-white does not protect him from the feng shui death curse.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

lovin oohhboy's new av. seriously, consider it a badge of honor: you're forcing some tankie to participate in capitalism.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McGavin posted:

My wife's cousin wanted to get my kid a poster of the night sky at his time of birth as a present for his first birthday, so she asked my wife what time he was born. My wife got offended because this is apparently not done in Chinese culture and her cousin should have known. My wife called her mom to verify and got a very loud "Ai-ya!", followed with the instadeath explanation.

I was told not to tell anyone when my kid was born, but she was like a year too late with that warning because I told my family pretty much immediately after he was born. She seems to be okay with that as long as I don't tell anyone else. Apparently being half-white does not protect him from the feng shui death curse.

Amazing. Who knew Planescape-style true name magic was a thing in a currently existing culture.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

McGavin posted:

Write your own info on a piece of paper, show it to your wife, and burn it in front of her.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Devils Affricate posted:

Write your own info on a piece of paper, show it to your wife, and burn it in front of her.

Probation reason: Don't tell people to kill themselves.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm sure there is some explanation why this won't work. Either because feng shui is not for white people or I am not a feng shui master or some other reason will cause it to fail.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

FYI my wife has a PhD in immunology. She knows that the human body doesn't work this way. But, "It's better to be safe than sorry."

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A person's name and date of birth are effectively public domain info already. You can probably find birth times in some hospital data breach info off the darkweb.

Goon project: A ticker tape printer of breached persons' PII fed directly into an incinerator. Easiest Death Note knockoff ever.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

McGavin posted:

FYI my wife has a PhD in immunology. She knows that the human body doesn't work this way. But, "It's better to be safe than sorry."

Now ask your wife what causes a common cold, cold air or viruses

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darkest Auer posted:

Now ask your wife what causes a common cold, cold air or viruses

"I'm not falling for that trick again," I say, as I bundle my child into a parka and crank the thermostat to 20° C to fight COVID.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

lovin oohhboy's new av. seriously, consider it a badge of honor: you're forcing some tankie to participate in capitalism.

Exactly, it's a great av for that reason. Also, if you can get a mod to blank it occasionally, you may be able to get the dude to buy you the same stupid Xi av over and over, without spending any of your own money.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grand Fromage posted:

Amazing. Who knew Planescape-style true name magic was a thing in a currently existing culture.

... I remember that coming up in Icewind Dale, but I think only The Nameless One's name came with any kind of power difference.

And that was from super-enlightenment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

... I remember that coming up in Icewind Dale, but I think only The Nameless One's name came with any kind of power difference.

And that was from super-enlightenment.

I think it's in other D&D settings but it's a Planescape thing. If you know something's True Name you can control it. The Lady of Pain wastes anybody even thinking about trying to find out her True Name, for example.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's in other D&D settings but it's a Planescape thing. If you know something's True Name you can control it. The Lady of Pain wastes anybody even thinking about trying to find out her True Name, for example.

it was from the wizard of earthsea i think where if you knew someone/something's true name it owned them

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

it was from the wizard of earthsea i think where if you knew someone/something's true name it owned them

I mean if you're going to start going after where D&D stole stuff from. True name magic existed in the ancient world, the Romans had the same concept.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TIL feng shui death curses don't give a gently caress about time zones.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
true name magic was known to the babylonians and spread both ways to china and the near east

and we have vague reports of similar poo poo w the mayans, so trying to do magic w names is just a cultural universal

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

hakimashou posted:

This is also from the "Books of Magic" comic books.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I remember True Name was a thing in Vampire: The Masquerade. One of the antediluvians had the bright idea of finding the True Name of all humanity, and succeeded.

Problem was, it was the data from the Human Genome Project. Not exactly pronounceable.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exmachina posted:

The point isn't to honour glorious xi, it is to make ooohboy go bananas in this thread. And he has obviously given them value for money.

Dude, wear it as a badge of pride. You made some tankie spend $30 to power the forum you, like myself, spend a good chunk of time on. In a couple of weeks they will forget about it and you can change it back. If they persist, I understand that there are things you can do in cooperation with the mod team

Will call you NAZI scum for $30 a post. That's 60 times the value of a wumao post.

exmachina posted:

Lol ooohboy I love you man but you gotta stop biting. Look I'll pay the ~$25 NZD to change it

To Carrie Lam

I would prefer that you send that money to a US bail fund, HK Free Press or Doctors without Borders. That said, Carrie Lam would be an improvement via abject apathy.

McGavin posted:

Thread feng shui masters, is it true that if you tell someone the time of your birth that they can write your name, birthday, and time of birth onto a piece of paper and throw it in a fire, causing you do drop dead instantly? My wife is upset because I told my family when my kid was born.

I haven't heard of this. I am no Lo Wang with my Ancient Chinese Secrets.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

true name magic was known to the babylonians and spread both ways to china and the near east

and we have vague reports of similar poo poo w the mayans, so trying to do magic w names is just a cultural universal

It’s how Vera Farmiga defeats the evil nun at the end of The Conjuring Part 2

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

oohhboy posted:

Will call you NAZI scum for $30 a post. That's 60 times the value of a wumao post.

I would prefer that you send that money to a US bail fund, HK Free Press or Doctors without Borders. That said, Carrie Lam would be an improvement via abject apathy.

I haven't heard of this. I am no Lo Wang with my Ancient Chinese Secrets.

I'll donate 30nzd to whatever charity you name if you chill out, bro.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Send it to HK Free Press if you want to directly help HK. Doctors without Borders if you want a neutral choice. US bail funds if you want the US to get back up on its feet. Don't do it because you want to virtue signal, do it because you believe in a good cause, hence I leave the choice up to you.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

How much for you to post the suit

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$100 to post a suit.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they didnt say a suit

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

oohhboy posted:

$100 to post a suit.

THE suit THE 5 piece suit lets be clear

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hypothetical. Assuming such a suit exists, still exists, and I am honest, how much would the thread collectively pledge to said organizations? Would there be a way to verify should a claim of donation by naming the donor Hong Kong Suit?

Hypothetically.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Serious question for oohhboy. What HKD amount in donations to the Hong Kong Free Press (https://support.hongkongfp.com/) would be enough to get you to post two (2) photos of THE 5 piece suit with a slip of paper with your username and the current date in the shot as proof?

People can post screenshots of donation receipts in the thread with personal info redacted. You can blur the background or whatever else to preserve your privacy. This could be a fundraiser for a good cause, think about it.

edit: should have refreshed before posting. my question still stands - you name the price.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Presented without comment

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I do not speak or read Chinese and therefore cannot comment.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GoutPatrol posted:

Presented without comment

Do we really give clenbuterol to pigs? Does that get in the meat?

Knew a guy (actually the guy who got me on SA) who lost a ton of weight taking that stuff, but it didn't sound like a fun drug at all.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I do not speak or read Chinese and therefore cannot comment.

It's saying, oppose Tsai liberalizing imports. American pigs have drugs to make them lean (which I guess is clenbuterol, I had to look up 瘦肉精) and it's killing Taiwanese people.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 14, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bob dobbs is dead posted:

It seems to have featured in Roman curses that were carved into lead sheets as well.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I will donate 100 American Trump Dollars to HKFP for photographic evidence of the suit

edit: But I assume this is not nearly enough. Who else is with me?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Your wife thinks your family want to kill your kid

and, significantly, are powerful wizards.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BrainDance posted:

Do we really give clenbuterol to pigs?

No, it’s been banned for literal decades in both EU and US because of how easily it gets transferred to human consumers. Less scrupulous horse owners give it to their race horses, which was actually what tipped off the british horse meat thing!

But if you look into the history of dabbing meat with clenbuterol, it keeps happening in China! It’s all projection.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
speaking as someone who weird goons have bought like four or five avatars for: why do you care. Look at my avatar. Someone bought it for me. Who cares. You clowns, you buffoons, you utter children

it’s a tiny picture next to my name. Who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Donald Trump. China.