Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'd really like a 800/5.6 but I also don't want to sell my truck :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

This is a sparrow but I think I colour corrected it to look more red than it should:

DSC_0006 by pfibeirut, on Flickr

A robin:
DSC_0027 by pfibeirut, on Flickr

DSC_0033 by pfibeirut, on Flickr

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Love the (natural) extreme contrast, and the sparseness of the shot. I can't tell if this is looking up or not, what the orientation, how that bird is flying -- it makes me keep returning to look at it while my brain is trying to process it, it's great.

Zero One posted:

Egret

Limpkin

A couple shots from Lake Apopka this weekend.

Agreed with that previous post, the interaction with the environment gives it a great story. I also love the contrast of the plants in the first one -- the chaos of the long sharp plants, and the soft roundness of the other ones.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

piratepilates posted:

This is a sparrow but I think I colour corrected it to look more red than it should:

DSC_0006 by pfibeirut, on Flick

I think this is a female Northern Cardinal

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

EPICAC posted:

I think this is a female Northern Cardinal

Actually yeah you're right, here's another shot of it right out of the camera:

Much redder than I thought it was. The only other birds I saw today were sparrows (so many sparrows), must have presumed it was one.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This is a tri-colored heron, I think (thought green at first but that yellow bill suggests otherwise). Egrets in your region will be all-over white or buff.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

This is a green heron. Egrets in your region will be all-over white or buff.

Green herons are much more squat. Blue or tricolor heron, depending on area?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Kenshin posted:

:argh: Caught me before my edit!

Tris are such pretty herons.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 5, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kenshin posted:

That's a tricolor. Little blues are solid blue and don't have the white or yellow. Great blues are much bigger.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

my cat is norris posted:

This is a tri-colored heron, I think (thought green at first but that yellow bill suggests otherwise). Egrets in your region will be all-over white or buff.

Kenshin posted:

Thanks, I wasn't sure. We have a ton of egrets and herons around here.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
50 shades of brown

Gyuto Hermit Thrush-8342 on Flickr

Gyuto Fox Sparrow-8374 on Flickr

Gyuto Song Sparrow-8399 on Flickr

I was actually on a tripod for these. I would have liked to get a little lower for this thrasher that came up close, but I was afraid I was going to spook it.

Gyuto Cal Thrasher-8421 on Flickr

Gyuto Cal Thrasher-8453 on Flickr

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Getting to know some of the new backyard birds.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

tk posted:

Getting to know some of the new backyard birds.

Someone tell me where to find the bird in this photo, because I'm totally missing it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Someone tell me where to find the bird in this photo, because I'm totally missing it.

Just below dead centre of the frame. It has its back to the camera and it's almost the same colour as the leaves. You can see the tail sticking out slightly to the right.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Glad I’m not the only one. I couldn’t find it even though I was 100% sure that there was a bird somewhere in there. I had to have mrs tk point it out to me. She found it right away.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Backyard
Tauhou by Marc, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

That's a neat bird. Nice sharp eye ring.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Help identifying this fat bastard.

Identify This Bird by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Help identifying this fat bastard.

Identify This Bird by B. B., on Flickr

Canada (formerly Gray) Jay. They're almost too cute to be a corvid.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Canada (formerly Gray) Jay. They're almost too cute to be a corvid.

Hadn't seen one here before. Thanks!

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Evening rain by Marc, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Wonderful color, and a nice fall/winter feeling.

Here are some from today:

I'm trying to get together some more photos for my annual bird calendar. Are any of these interesting enough to put in a calendar?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Fell Off Their Quarantine Diet by B. B., on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

That's a lot of fluff!

It's probably going to snow where I live tomorrow. Is it worthwhile to try to go birding in the snow? Are birds still active, or are they less active when it snows?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

DorianGravy posted:

That's a lot of fluff!

It's probably going to snow where I live tomorrow. Is it worthwhile to try to go birding in the snow? Are birds still active, or are they less active when it snows?

Go where the food is berry bushes etc.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Definitely (make sure to scroll down and read the text). Even if the snow makes it harder work, if you do get something, there's a good chance the snow will make it extra good. And wildlife photography is a numbers game; the more you are in the field, the more chance you have of being around for that random photogenic event.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

jarlywarly posted:

Go where the food is berry bushes etc.

Agreed. My experience has been that snow tends to concentrate birds at spots where they can feed and make them less skittish. The hard part is finding those spots, but berry bushes, bird feeders, etc. are all good starting points. Also, if the smaller bodies of water are freezing it will concentrate ducks in places that aren't frozen.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for the advice, all! It didn't end up snowing very much, and I didn't find any interesting birds. It was still fun to get outside on a cold, blustery day, though.

I'm still trying to put together a bird calendar for friends and family. Here are two similar pictures from a couple months ago. Is one better than the other?

I'm starting to think I should dip into 2019's photos for the calendar, since my 2020 collection might not be enough.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

DorianGravy posted:

Thanks for the advice, all! It didn't end up snowing very much, and I didn't find any interesting birds. It was still fun to get outside on a cold, blustery day, though.

I'm still trying to put together a bird calendar for friends and family. Here are two similar pictures from a couple months ago. Is one better than the other?

I'm starting to think I should dip into 2019's photos for the calendar, since my 2020 collection might not be enough.

The first one is better. Much more interesting.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

Not that I have a ton of experience in snow but my sense is if it's really windy the birds tend to hunker but if it's a gentle snow they may not care too much. Ideally you can think of a place that will look nice with some snow added-- colorful berries, dark rocks, or even just pine/conifers. But anywhere with snow will give you a chance for something cool and different. If it's after the snow and you have bright sun don't forget your camera may try to turn your scene gray. It's something you can probably fix in post but just be aware... I've definitely made that mistake and had to go back and re-edit because my "white" snow came out looking pretty murky.

quote:

It's your calendar project so I don't know how important it is for you to have only 2020 birds but I'm going to guess if you give most people a choice they'd prefer the better image to necessarily following the calendar year constraint. For me I usually try to find something that's roughly evocative of the month/season when I can.

Out of these two I'd probably pick the first one. I think what you were going for in the 2nd one is maybe more artistic (and maybe you could play with the temp or something to make it a little warmer?) but if I were choosing I think the out of focus branches in the foreground are a little too distracting.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Blue Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

:vince:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is the stuff!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Nice Bluejay!

I went to the local park today, but most of the snow there had already melted, so no bird & snow pictures. I found some other birds, though!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Awesome!

Flicker wildcat-8873 on Flickr

Webl explore-8957 [ on Flickr

finally got one of these buggers with his crown showing. I think he was molting the feathers that hide it because it was visible the whole time.

Wildcat RCKI-9095on Flickr

bonus RAaarrr I'm a Tiny Dinosaur
RCKI jump-9086on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cool stuff! I always like photos which make birds look like tiny, ferocious dinosaurs. tk's photos show some of the most ferocious types of tiny birds. Hummingbirds are loud when the buzz around!

What is the bird with the spot on its head (crown?), and what's the significance of it?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DorianGravy posted:

Cool stuff! I always like photos which make birds look like tiny, ferocious dinosaurs. tk's photos show some of the most ferocious types of tiny birds. Hummingbirds are loud when the buzz around!

Watched a lot of diving and chasing action today it was pretty fun. Tried for a while to capture some but that’s not super easy.

Closest thing I got:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

What is the bird with the spot on its head (crown?), and what's the significance of it?

Ruby-crowned Kinglet! I’d assume it’s more or less like red-winged blackbird epaulettes, used mostly in dominance and territorial interactions but can be hidden at other times. Maybe it’s used in mobbing too.