Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just watch emiya gohan, every other non-movie Fate anime adaptation ranges from bad to not really worth your time.

e: actually Babylonia is good but not on netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jose posted:

netflix has a ton of fate series. are they any good and is there any aprticular order to them?

There's no real good adaptation of the original novel (Fate/Stay Night).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im gonna play DFO again

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zero does work alone to some degree but it is very much a prequel and a lot of stuff will just kindof end or appear to have no point if you don't also do FSN.

Stairmaster posted:

There's no real good adaptation of the original novel (Fate/Stay Night).
Yeah there isn't really a complete alternative to the game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Slightly warm take: You can watch whichever one you want standalone. It's fine. It's functional. The most it's going to happen is that you're (maybe) going to want to watch more, and, well, there's plenty more Fate/stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't really like recommending anime adaptations of vns that are only "functional" as-is and f/sn's anime adaptations are in a much weirder and more precarious position than others that like, idk it is possible for someone to enjoy them on their own but i'm not going to actively recommend them over something written to stand on its own two feet

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zero and UBW work fine on their own

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

i don't really like recommending anime adaptations of vns that are only "functional" as-is and f/sn's anime adaptations are in a much weirder and more precarious position than others that like, idk it is possible for someone to enjoy them on their own but i'm not going to actively recommend them over something written to stand on its own two feet
Oh, I am aware that "mainline" Fate (Stay Night and Zero, I guess) is on kind of a weird hodge-podge of "wait, with which one should I start?" decisions. But at the same time, I think whichever watching order you take, if it clicks, it kinda leaves you wanting more and allowing you to take a deeper plunge into it.

As an anecdote of sorts: I watched the UBW anime in 2015 after almost a decade of having played the VN + after like 3 years after the Fate/Zero anime tackled the "prequel" and honestly? It made me want to go and see what was up with the rest of the Fate stuff. Hell, the Heaven's Feel movie trilogy finished this year, so if Jose wants to go down the Fate/rabbit hole, now he can sorta tackle all of the three routes without having to wait.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 14, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you still have to wait to watch heaven's feel cause not all three movies are streaming yet

also the adaptation of fate route isn't on netflix

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Isn't the Fate adaptation the lovely DEEN one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the deen anime isnt the worst thing in the world but its a weak adaptation of fairly mediocre material

really fsn is just unadaptable because it was designed so completely to be a vn. you'd have to change way more than you could get away with to make it actually work as an anime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I know it's mostly the Fate route, but isn't the DEEN anime also the sort of VN adaptation that tries to synthesize the other routes as well via stuff like Caster trying to do something or the other with Sakura, also she ends up in a weird bondage outfit. So in that sense I wouldn't say it makes a "set" with the ufotable adaptations even barring quality.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just finished watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya + the movie, in broadcast order. As I said before, the sexual harassment 'gags' were awful but I really, really liked pretty much everything else? The dub was great! There was one bit where Mikuru's voice actress sounded exactly the same as Yui from K-On and that's when I realized it was the same person :v: I was fully expecting Koizumi to betray them at some point, at times he felt exceedingly duplicitous (in a very enjoyable way).

Also, yes, I watched the entirety of the Endless Eight :negative:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
vn pacing is a thing people will complain about but on a basic level slow pacing can be something really important to character writing in a lot of the big ones, even something as linear as higurashi loses a lot of its personality and charm in shaving it down for a more condensed runtime, and fate/stay night is in the awkward position where a lot of its best scenes are the more relaxed and goofy ones and its structure as a story is built for a multi-route vn that escalates with each arc, each arc big enough to necessitate its own separate full adaptation. it's an awkward position and i'm not sure whether it or tsukihime are uh, more impossible to adapt lol

of all the big vns i've read in the past year the one i can think of that wouldn't really lose anything in condensing it for animation would be aoishiro and that's mostly cause aoishiro is... uh... weirdly threadbare. you could shave off a lot of that game because it just doesn't have a lot of in-depth plot, mystery building or character work and its highlights are things that would just work better in animation

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 14, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

all that said I've heard interesting things about what the HF movies add or how they present certain things visually (and by that I don't mean "wow cool truck fight"), so at the very least I'm interested in watching them as a companion piece after I finally get around to the VN.

also it'd be funny if they adapted Redline someday with a Fate/Koha-Ace adaptation as BD specials and the latter ended up being the first voiced ""tsukihime"" content in ages

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It’s not easy to adapt FSN (because the three routes are in dialogue) but I don’t think it’s impossible. I remember thinking the first half of the ufotable UBW anime was good.

They can’t just replicate the VN beat by beat though.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Motto posted:

also it'd be funny if they adapted Redline someday with a Fate/Koha-Ace adaptation as BD specials and the latter ended up being the first voiced ""tsukihime"" content in ages

kohaku and hisui have been in prillya for years

KoB
May 1, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Just watch emiya gohan

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Azran posted:

Hell yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly speaking of VN adaptations, I'm replaying muv luv alternative and I have absolutely zero idea how this is going to work as an anime. So much of the story depends on buy-in from having played and presumably at least somewhat enjoyed extra and unlimited. iunno how someone coming into it blind would react to stuff like 'takeru walking in on sumika in the bathroom being a cherished memory that is gone back to like 4 separate times'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wonder how an anime adaptation of fata morgana would even begin to attempt to function

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Azran posted:

I watched the whole Endless Eight and then none of the rest of the second season.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

but its a weak adaptation of fairly mediocre material

*foams at mouth*

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endless Eight is good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

honestly speaking of VN adaptations, I'm replaying muv luv alternative and I have absolutely zero idea how this is going to work as an anime. So much of the story depends on buy-in from having played and presumably at least somewhat enjoyed extra and unlimited. iunno how someone coming into it blind would react to stuff like 'takeru walking in on sumika in the bathroom being a cherished memory that is gone back to like 4 separate times'

When I saw the cg mechs I knew it was doomed from the start

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Aurora posted:

Endless Eight is good.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

"If you don't buy it now, you'll regret it later." -quote from bobobo himself

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I have finished all of city hunter on Crunchyroll. drat good show + movies though I don't like how the last two seasons looked as much as the earlier ones. shinjuku private eye was awesome

also I was aware of cat's eye before but didn't know it was by the same mangaka and in the same universe, is that anime good?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

When I saw the cg mechs I knew it was doomed from the start
The original game is full of CGI mechs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the cgi mechs in the previous muv-luv anime were fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The only good Muv Luv anime is Akane Maniax

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

The Colonel posted:

i wonder how an anime adaptation of fata morgana would even begin to attempt to function

I was wondering about that a while ago. Would FM still be a good story if it was told chronologically, for example?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean, it's a linear story. You'd adapt the doors in the order they'd appear. The question is more like all other VN adaptions what kind of tone does it set, what kind of pacing does it have to go with in order to make it work in that medium, and does its take on the VN art and aesthetic (which is very distinct) still work and look good in an anime.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You would lose the impact of eg the shift from a third person+3/4s sprites+no choices narrative to a first person/full face/choices game as you go from a passive observer to an active participant in the story and various other interesting flourishes, but I think you could still tell the story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue with most VN adpatations is that even the most barebones VN usually does something with the fact its a vn. even generic harem romcom VNs do stuff like have gags that take place over multiple routes or have stuff like bonus conversations when you save and quit that give minor characterization details, or whatever. you can easily adapt that stuff into an anime, but you'd have to make changes to account for the tricks only animation can do, rather than tricks only games or VNs specifically can do. and anytime a hardcore nerd sees an adaptation make a change he makes a youtube video about how it betrayed the soul of the franchise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is reminding me that my first run of Steins;Gate was funny because I played all the way up until the first alternate ending without realizing I needed to manually pull out the phone to make "decisions." I thought the phone interface was just for answering texts, basically.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im gonna play The Fortnite

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Peach Wario is very good.

https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/1327600394114134016?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Azran posted:

I just finished watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya + the movie, in broadcast order. As I said before, the sexual harassment 'gags' were awful but I really, really liked pretty much everything else? The dub was great! There was one bit where Mikuru's voice actress sounded exactly the same as Yui from K-On and that's when I realized it was the same person :v: I was fully expecting Koizumi to betray them at some point, at times he felt exceedingly duplicitous (in a very enjoyable way).

:cheers: