Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sounds like you're doing great, I'd try to avoid reading anything about the game unless you get stuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Everything you are doing is cool and good and keep it up. Feel free to document your journey, we love living vicariously through new players.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

You’re doing great. You can get a nail upgrade relatively soon. Without spoiling anything, there is an NPC who will do it for you and you will know when you find him. If you want to know where/when it’s once you get to the City of Tears, go to the left after the initial descent.

You’ll come back to these initial areas over and over so don’t worry to much about missing anything. I don’t think there’s anything permanently missable.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

OK, thanks for the replies. I really want to avoid reading ahead of where I am, because I know you only get one First Time to experience these games.

One large Boss-ish enemy that I skipped around was a massive version of the leaf-covered guys who charge at you. It would come out of the ground, and either zoom at me, or jump in the air, and I'd always dodge the wrong way and get hit. I took a couple attempts, and then just avoided it for the time being. I'll come back later and take another attempt.

I'm really digging the whole Bug World that the game takes place in. The NPCs I've run into have made me hesitate a few times before approaching. "Is this an enemy that hasn't noticed me yet?"
The spider dude who gave me the Hunter book, I didn't even know it was an NPC at first. I just saw scary eyes in the darkness and noped the gently caress out of there.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying everything so far. The controls are really tight, and I've started to get the hang of doing down-slash attacks to pogo on enemies. Looking forward to pressing onwards!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did you get the bouncy larva boss in the forgotten crossroads?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

You’re totally playing correctly. You still have a massive world to discover. Don’t be afraid to get lost and you definitely have the right attitude with tough enemies and bosses. Mark ‘em on your map and come back when you’re feeling more confident or you’ve exhausted other paths. Right about now the game really opens up and there are a ton of different places you can explore! Have fun and keep posting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"There is a joy in getting lost and finding your way again. We are exquisitely lucky, you and I." -Cornifer

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I think so...?

Full disclosure here: I've been high every time I've played so far. My routine the last few nights has been:
- Get home from work
- Smoke while I walk the dog
- Play HK until I get too tired
- Crawl in to bed

It does make remembering details a bit more challenging, so I should probably start using the map pins to remind me where I need to return.
A little notebook probably isn't a bad idea either.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

I just started playing Hollow Knight and have fallen in love. Beautiful game and atmosphere.
I'm hoping one of you can let me know if I've missed anything important so far, because I really don't want to stumble on any spoilers.

So far, I've beaten the False Knight and Hornet bosses. I've poked around as much of Greenpath and Forgotten Crossroads as I think I can get to, and I've started exploring the Fog Canyon and Fungal Wastes.

I've gotten the Moth Cape to let me air dash, but judging from the geography, there's got to be a double jump / wall jump item out there somewhere. I've picked up a Charm to give me extra reach with my Nail, but I haven't found anything to boost my actual damage yet.

I've found some NPCs too, and a few shops have opened back in town. I also picked up the Hunter notebook, and started working on that. Have I missed anything important so far? I just don't want to find out that there was a Nail upgrade or something that I've skated past, and I'm making things harder for myself.

The combat has been really enjoyable. A few enemies have given me a hard time, but with some patience, I can figure out cues to watch for, and then it's pretty smooth sailing.

Keep posting your thoughts. Newbies experiencing a game for the first time FTMFW

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

SirSamVimes posted:

"There is a joy in getting lost and finding your way again. We are exquisitely lucky, you and I." -Cornifer

*sigh* Bapanada.

Keep posting, Zombie Guy! We all love living vicariously through people experiencing the game for the first time. Here's my piece of advice: in the next section of the game, right after getting your next movement upgrade, you may fight a boss. I am not going to tell you anything about that boss other than to enjoy the music! Because it is really, really good.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Really should check for another page before I reply to old messages.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I decided to play again as a break from other stuff. Made it through and killed Hornet on my first try. I remember the first time that fight was hard. I'm wondering if soul master is gonna be easy now, too.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've found some NPCs too, and a few shops have opened back in town. I also picked up the Hunter notebook, and started working on that. Have I missed anything important so far? I just don't want to find out that there was a Nail upgrade or something that I've skated past, and I'm making things harder for myself.

If you haven't yet, pick up map pins and more map pins. They're going to become very handy on your trip throughout Hollownest.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Victory Position posted:

If you haven't yet, pick up map pins and more map pins. They're going to become very handy on your trip throughout Hollownest.

Pfff, spoiled millenials. We didn't have map pins back in my day :argh:.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dancer posted:

Pfff, spoiled millenials. We didn't have map pins back in my day :argh:.

okay zote

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Progress log:

There's a bunch of shop items from various merchants available, and I'm pretty broke. I scraped together enough Geo to buy a charm that vacuums up the Geo dropped by enemies, which is super helpful. Now I'm just roaming around the Crossroads/Greenway areas, sharpening my skills and stocking up on currency.

I found a treasure chest that gave me a nasty surprise. I popped it open, and when I hopped in to grab the loot, I ended up falling into a kill zone between two of the big armadillo-looking guys. I managed to kill one before I died, so the 2nd one was much easier when I came back.

I found a couple of hidden nooks with big stones, covered in glyphs. One of them said something about those who stray from the White King's path will face the judgment of Uum, or something equally sinister sounding.

I'm getting strong :darksouls: vibes from the NPCs. Quirrel feels like Solaire; the optimistic warrior who's progress runs parallel to the PC. You help each other, yet he is (probably) lost in the end. Zote the Mighty just reeks of Siggy Onionbro; the proud knight who needs to be rescued by the PC, and (probably) dies trying to prove his worth and bravery in a suicidal battle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I found a treasure chest that gave me a nasty surprise. I popped it open, and when I hopped in to grab the loot, I ended up falling into a kill zone between two of the big armadillo-looking guys. I managed to kill one before I died, so the 2nd one was much easier when I came back.

:darksouls:

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm getting strong :darksouls: vibes from the NPCs. Quirrel feels like Solaire; the optimistic warrior who's progress runs parallel to the PC. You help each other, yet he is (probably) lost in the end. Zote the Mighty just reeks of Siggy Onionbro; the proud knight who needs to be rescued by the PC, and (probably) dies trying to prove his worth and bravery in a suicidal battle.

:darksouls:

But yeah there's gonna be lots of things for sale and quite awhile before you can buy everything so you gotta be judicial. But also don't sweat losing geo too much (like :darksouls: lol)

But you're trucking along fine

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Progress log:

There's a bunch of shop items from various merchants available, and I'm pretty broke. I scraped together enough Geo to buy a charm that vacuums up the Geo dropped by enemies, which is super helpful. Now I'm just roaming around the Crossroads/Greenway areas, sharpening my skills and stocking up on currency.

I found a couple of hidden nooks with big stones, covered in glyphs. One of them said something about those who stray from the White King's path will face the judgment of Uum, or something equally sinister sounding.

:allears:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After hornet the difficulty in platforming definitely climbs. I totally screwed up the bridge bit and finally wasn't able to fetch my ghost. But now I am at the city and things should open up more. Looking forward to retrying soul dude.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Victory Position posted:

I didn't bother to purchase the custom map pins. My goto when playing Metroidvanias on Switch (if you're doing that here) is to take a screenshot of anything interesting then take a screenshot of the map with the compass enabled. Then when I go on a backtrack run I go through my list of screenshots and quickly figure out which ones I might be able to do something about now.

You could probably do the same thing on PC but I don't know if there's any tools that allow you to quickly take screenshots and then look through them without having to exit the game.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Take the time out to buy the lantern. Never worry about going the "wrong way" there is no wrong way. But buy the lantern.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, save up to get the lantern as soon as you can. it's straight up just a geo tax to be able to progress in certain spots.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, I just found this guy.
I was doing some exploring, and I got to a spot that stopped me earlier. A narrow chimney with spikes on either side, with narrow gaps between. I assumed that I needed some kind of wall-jump item.
I had just learned that I can pogo on spikes with my nail, so I tried to just bounce my way up. And it worked!
A little further along, and I see eyes glowing in the background of a pretty obvious boss arena. I got quickly pasted by the boss, but now I have a new spot to focus on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was doing some exploring, and I got to a spot that stopped me earlier. A narrow chimney with spikes on either side, with narrow gaps between. I assumed that I needed some kind of wall-jump item.
I had just learned that I can pogo on spikes with my nail, so I tried to just bounce my way up. And it worked!
A little further along, and I see eyes glowing in the background of a pretty obvious boss arena. I got quickly pasted by the boss, but now I have a new spot to focus on.

Huh? The bouncy larva boss is kinda hard to miss and is the easiest in the game. It just bounces around.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Zombie Guy posted:

If this is what I'm thinking of, you can do this, but it's a sequence break.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Zombie Guy posted:

Your instincts here are basically correct. Here's the thing though, if you come across a boss you're not quite sure you should be at yet and you get totally wrecked, consider moving on and coming back later. You could beat this guy now, but you'll probably have a much easier time later.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Your instincts here are basically correct. Here's the thing though, if you come across a boss you're not quite sure you should be at yet and you get totally wrecked, consider moving on and coming back later. You could beat this guy now, but you'll probably have a much easier time later.

Counterpoint: It's more fun to not do that and instead beat the boss by honing your skills instead of your gear.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Counterpoint: It's more fun to not do that and instead beat the boss by honing your skills instead of your gear.

Agreed. If you’re really struggling it’s ok to come back in almost all cases but through practice you can usually overcome any challenge even with no or few upgrades.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Trip report: soul master still hard.

Maybe I'll go find a piece of ore. I think there is one I can get right now under the city in the water somewhere.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

More progress:

Delved deeper into the Fungus Cavern, and found a lovely community of Mantis warriors. I liked the sign they had up saying Welcome to those who seek death. Anyway, I fought through them, and found a nifty wall-jump item.

After scooping that, I unlocked the Queen Station stag ride, and I headed back to town. Now that I can wall-jump, I headed back to the entry area, and worked my way up to the Howling Cliffs. Found a huge bug that I thought was a boss for a moment, but nope, it was the Nail Master. I was hoping for a damage upgrade, but he taught me a spin technique instead.

I farmed up enough Geo to buy the Lantern, and the Simple Key. I also scooped up the rotten egg, because it must be for something, right?

Used the simple key to unlock the cave to the right of the town, and met an NPC who it looks like will let me retrieve dropped stuff if I die somewhere?

Anyway, now I'm just poking around everywhere I've already been, looking for spots I couldn't get to before. I found a few weird looking small trees that have hoop shaped leaves. I'm guessing these are for something that comes up later on?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The egg is what you give the person to the right of town that you found. And yes, those trees come into play later.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Based on your description of the mantis zone, I don’t think you completely explored it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This is only a spoiler if you dont like hard-to-find secret shortcuts getting spoiled:

In fungal wastes, if you see a room with a big stalactite-shaped spiky vine and a vertical wall on the other side of it that has a secret breakable wall near the top on the left side of the screen, go through there and poke around. A really awesome area can be discovered.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i just picked this game up again after not touching it since the Grimm Troupe, and i gotta say, i still hate soul tyrant.

e: for a bit more substance, does anyone regularly use the learned nail abilities rather than just the basic slashes or spells? i imagine there's uses for them with specific quick kills on certain bosses if i were to dip into that realm but they always felt very awkward for typical casual gameplay. probably because so much of hollow knight's combat is about movement and locking yourself into animations is a quick way to get smacked, or at least lose some momentum. even the spells can be guilty of this though they're typically so monstrously powerful that it makes up for it.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 15, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They were never a major part of my gameplan especially once I started equipping Quick Slash, though they certainly enjoyed some situational use.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Nail arts can be very useful in the colosseum.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, they’re great in situations where you have clearly defined downtime with a new mob spawning after.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just got soul master down. Definitely easier on 2nd play through. So to quickly grab the stuff I need to clear zones, it is: mine > then tear or wings in whatever order, then that's it, right? I can then start doing zone clears?

For some reason I feel like I am missing a traversal ability.

Oh I know...the cloak. I can get that as soon as I can get to that area, right?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I will say that if you can make it through Queen's Garden's without wings to unlock the shortcut, a certainly infamously hated sidequest is considerably less annoying if you've still got the forgotten crossroads, rather than infected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpg_aQWoGWU