Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

fourwood posted:

What do people here like for cooking/recipe collection apps? I was using Copy Me That on my old phone, but apparently it’s been removed from the App Store so I can’t have it on my new phone. I think the main feature I’d really like it to have is good scraping/importing of recipes when given a link to a recipe webpage.

If the app is still compatible with 64-bit devices and the developer didn't get their developer license revoked or suspended, you *might* still be able to download it from "Your Purchases"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Paprika has been my go to for what I feel has been the entirety of iOS now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Second. I don’t know if there’s anything better than Paprika but I’m also not sure what I’d want a cooking/recipe/grocery app to do that Paprika doesn’t, or how it could do it better. It’s basically the perfect app for that sort of thing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Second. I don’t know if there’s anything better than Paprika but I’m also not sure what I’d want a cooking/recipe/grocery app to do that Paprika doesn’t, or how it could do it better. It’s basically the perfect app for that sort of thing.

It’s awesome but one thing I would love (which is on the roadmap I think?) is scanning of recipes. I have a few books or recipes that people have written down for me. Currently you have to use Google Docs to covert the text.

Also shared lists with family members!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

One more vote for paprika. On a related note, what's a good reader for pdf/epub documents that will let me copy/paste out of it without appending quotation marks and an attribution like the apple books app does? :argh:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

fourwood posted:

I think the main feature I’d really like it to have is good scraping/importing of recipes when given a link to a recipe webpage.

I’m using AnyList, primarily for the shared synced shopping lists and secondarily for the recipes. It does a good job with scraping recipes from the web. It’s a subscription model so that may be a turnoff but it’s continually being updated which is nice.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Paprika fan here, too. It's been running our kitchen for several years now. My only complaint is that it can't put in (and pick up) our curbside-pickup grocery order for us.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Thanks, y’all, sounds like I’ll grab Paprika.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Anyone found a good RSS reader with an iOS14 widget? I've been using Feedly but it hasn't added widget support yet. Newsify looks promising...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Luceo posted:

Anyone found a good RSS reader with an iOS14 widget? I've been using Feedly but it hasn't added widget support yet. Newsify looks promising...

Reeder 5?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I'm certainly not above paying :10bux: but it'd have to be demonstrably better than Newsify or Feedly.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
It's much better than Feedly, in my opinion. I always found the Feedly app clunky and I hate that it doesn't fetch text even for full-text RSS feeds. Reeder can fetch the text for any site, whether or not the feed includes it. (I also think it's much better-looking and feels more fluid and well-designed, but that's a matter of taste.)

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I have a Lifetime Feedly Pro account and still use Reeder as my iOS app, I like a minimalist design and Reeder also integrates with Instapaper and other "read later" type services so you can have everything in one place.

The iOS version is $5, it's the Mac OS version that's $10.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I'll give Reeder a try. Thanks for the recommendations! :cheers:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Just realized I can swipe on the dots at the bottom of spring board to quickly switch pages. A lot better than flicking page to page.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm having a weird problem with CarPlay which I figure is basically an iOS problem.

In Google Maps, both on my phone and through a browser, I can add and see my saved locations. On CarPlay however, I straight up cannot. I can navigate the app on my phone, look at saved locations, and set it up that way - but if I were to plug in my phone and use CarPlay exclusively, my saved locations are AWOL. Is there any fix for this? I see people online reporting the problem, but no one ever posts a follow up or a fix.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Had to laugh that as I thought it was nice I’m seeing more apps are using the Apple ID login, when I installed the 7-Eleven app it then asks me on the following screen for my email address thus completely negating it. Fuckers.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So after promising myself all lockdown that I’d get back into language study, maybe I should actually do it. I’m starting to use PDF Expert to read through Genki II for Japanese but I was wondering if maybe there’s an iPad app that covers a similar level of material without having to scroll through a pair of PDFs and zooming in and out of the answer areas for handwriting, etc.

I wouldn’t expect it to be free, but if there’s something good as a one off purchase rather than a subscription that would be ideal, so I don’t feel bad about taking it at a slower pace.

Integrated vocab spaced repetition flash cards testing and synced progress between iPhone and iPad would be perfect, but I can stick to Memrise for that if I need to.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried signing up for Apple One while also on a free sub to appleTV+ or iCloud?

Did it clear away the free time?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Thwomp posted:

Has anyone tried signing up for Apple One while also on a free sub to appleTV+ or iCloud?

Did it clear away the free time?

I was already on an apple music subscription and it refunded me the cost of that. But appleTV+ still shows up as free for one year as it was.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So this Apple One thing just replaces my iCloud sub and Apple Music sub? I don’t have to do any juggling that way?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tuyop posted:

So this Apple One thing just replaces my iCloud sub and Apple Music sub? I don’t have to do any juggling that way?

Yep if you already paid for the month it refunds back, iTunes credit in my case dunno if you paid via cc if it goes back that way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Note that if you have an existing iCloud sub it won't replace it, it adds to it, at least that's how it worked for me.
I had a 200gb iCloud plan and subbed to the $20 Apple One plan that comes with 200gb, now I have 400gb total.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a somewhat cryptic notice that I would have booth the old plan and the new one for a month but I wouldn't be charged extra. This wasn't in an email but in the signup screen so I can't dig up the exact wording.

But my interpretation is the first month is gonna be hosed up. I just got a message that I've been charged for Apple Music this month. :iiam:

They have an explanation of iCloud specifically here that basically translates to "it depends":

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211784

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I can’t even find where my iCloud subscription options live. Like, in Apple ID > Subscriptions I see Apple Music and my Apple TV free sub, but no iCloud data even though I pay for the 200gb tier.

Edit: it’s in iCloud > manage storage of course! But it also has me set as getting 400gb this month too. I just downgraded so I guess we’ll see what happens on the 26th.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 13, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any ad blockers that can block YouTube ads in browser? I’m using Purify and it doesn’t work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

obi_ant posted:

Any ad blockers that can block YouTube ads in browser? I’m using Purify and it doesn’t work.

It's an arms race. 1Blocker seems to work best for me, but usually it goes blocking works>you tube figures it out>blocking fixed ad nauseam. Lately, the in stream ads You Tube inserts have been getting through the filtering for me on both iOS and macOS Safari and Chrome.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I use 1Blocker and NextDNS and the only YouTube ads I see are the ones that come before the video starts which I’ve found I can just refresh the page and they’ll go away. I think NextDNS is doing the heavy lifting here, not 1Blocker.

E: NextDNS is systemwide ad blocking through DNS. It does mean that they can see every website you’re visiting, but if you didn’t use NextDNS then either your ISP (default) or Google (ie 8.8.8.8) would see all that information anyway. I saw people on Hacker News talking highly of the guys behind NextDNS so :shrug:. With iOS 14 it doesn’t install a fake VPN profile anymore cause there’s a dedicated DNS option now.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 14, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s weird, until recently I never got YouTube ads in embedded awful videos. Though amusingly enough the wrapper allows for playing when the app is closed and the floating video player b/t apps as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Trying to set up my girlfriends dad on his new iPhone (XS handed down to him). So he’s always used Android phones and for the most part the Move to iOS app has been great for the change. All his contacts and everything moved over with no issues.

However there’s one app that he uses to read Colombian newspapers. Apparently the app he used on Android is on iOS but not working for the US region or whatever. So far what I’ve done is just put home screen bookmarks to all those sites but I was wondering is if there’s any app that’s good for newspapers like that? Something that’s not US based.

I don’t think the sites have their own apps but I’ll look into it. It’s just that he’s used to having one app link to all the papers.

I’ll keep searching but I’m sure the bookmarks think will have to do for now. Oh well, he’ll get used to it eventually.

Edit: Literally as soon as I posted this I just remembered that an RSS reader might do the trick :doh:

Edit 2: Of course the first paper I try doesn’t have an RSS feed 😒

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 15, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EDIT: Don't really need this anymore so I'll ask a different question: what are some cool relatively recent apps of any kind to download? Paid or free is fine. I don't think I've paid money for an app since Super Mario Run.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 17, 2020

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Does anyone use the Outlook app and frequently get badge notifications that won't go away without multiple checks? I've googled the problem and most of the solutions are for double notifications - I'm not getting ALL double notifications, (on my watch just one, on my phone just vibrates or banners once) but the badge will appear, I open the app and look at whatever is new, go to home screen with no badges, lock phone. Open up later, and see a badge notification on Outlook, open app, nothing is there, notification is gone, and stays gone this time.

This has happened to me on my iphone 11 and now 12. I am missing a setting somewhere I think but I cannot find it for the life of me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s the app, it’s garbage.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

What should we use instead?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
delete and reinstall the app or turn off badge notifications

i use outlook.ipa for work email and did not have these issues on my X, 11, or 12

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, turn off badges for the Outlook app if it can’t be dismissed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've been using Outlook for years and not had problems with it (on an X) :shobon:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
All apps are garbage.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

withak posted:

All apps are garbage.

Steve Jobs was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp