Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They're supposed to have those cool looking custom cars but apparently they're still stuck running that modified prototype they've been doing press events with for the last 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Found a YouTube channel that has highlights footage from old Bathurst 500/1000 races. Some of the videos have audio sync issues, this one seems fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F1CCJ1w9hc

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I finally tune into super gt for once this year since it was live when I clicked on YouTube and the feed cut out after a bit with technical issues lmao

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the paradigm shift posted:

I finally tune into super gt for once this year since it was live when I clicked on YouTube and the feed cut out after a bit with technical issues lmao

Good race for Motegi. Nice dicing through the field for both classes. The ARTA NSX won.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there a channel to watch super gt highlights?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Is there a channel to watch super gt highlights?

On YouTube ya daftcunt

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

On YouTube ya daftcunt

Yeah I mean a YouTube channel ya fuckin melon!!! Link me

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The official Super GT channel.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah I mean a YouTube channel ya fuckin melon!!! Link me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0RjJHT8mG8

ya just gotta put supergt 2020 inta youtube!!!!!!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thank u my smal pal 😌

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
New corvettes sound weird, Porsche livery making me sad, p2 worse than pc, ots nice here with no people.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Does that mean next year there won't be a factory Porsche team in gtlm in imsa?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah they're done after this year

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Is it no spectators at all at sebring or limited numbers?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Is it no spectators at all at sebring or limited numbers?

I dont think there's a limit, just not a ton made it. Most of the normal camps are here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

Does that mean next year there won't be a factory Porsche team in gtlm in imsa?

Yep, they announced earlier this year they’re withdrawing the GTLM squad.

Still strongly rumored they’ll join LMDh likely with Penske.

This weekend is also the WEC finale at Bahrain!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Is IMSA's Trackpass worth the buy? I don't like waiting for races to get uploaded to youtube and $2.99/m seems pretty good. What's the stream quality like?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The quality is okay, but on a desktop you can only use a web browser to view the stream. Its NBC which... kind of sucks for streaming. I don't get why they have a NBC Sports app and a GOLD app; where you need the gold app to use trackpass.

I have uBlock installed, so I probably am not getting ads. I remember a few years back with F1 coverage the app went to commercial every 5 seconds.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 14, 2020

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Mazda gonna... win???

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The DPi title came down to Penske team orders on the last lap at Laguna Seca. Good riddance.

Good for Shank closing out the GTD era with a title.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I was seriously wondering if Action Express was going to fall back at the end of the race to split the 10 and 7 and thus get their ultimate revenge on ATP by denying them the championship. That would have been a heel turn for the ages

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

an oddly awful oud posted:

I was seriously wondering if Action Express was going to fall back at the end of the race to split the 10 and 7 and thus get their ultimate revenge on ATP by denying them the championship. That would have been a heel turn for the ages

I didn't think of it until they showed Wayne actively working other teams, but Action Express could've sent the 31 AND 5 back, which would've been the swing the 10 needed.

I guess it would've come down to who they hated more: Penske or WTR.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Action Express doesn't work the 5 anymore, it's JDC-Miller Motorsports

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Super Formula race was solid. The non-regulars and rookies subbing in for the regular drivers are doing a great job - so much so that some should be worrying about their seats lol.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Calderon is pretty out of depth sadly - just barely hanging on to the rear of the field. She would have finished dead last if not for The Rookie Racing and Second KCMG cars getting drive through penalties.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Apparently Masahiko Kondo, the former pop idol and long-time driver/team manager for Kondo Racing in Super GT and Super Formula, won’t be attending the final races for those series. Reportedly he’s had an affair and so is going through the Japanese press wringer such befitting a celebrity/Johnny’s that has hosed up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ganassi's confirmed to be returning to IMSA in DPi next year with Cadillac.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Action Express doesn't work the 5 anymore, it's JDC-Miller Motorsports

I think I knew that and it completely slipped my mind.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Macau this weekend :getin:

F4 instead of F3, regional GT field, but likely the usual hilarity the event brings

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
F4 is probably gonna race way better, tbh

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

Apparently Masahiko Kondo, the former pop idol and long-time driver/team manager for Kondo Racing in Super GT and Super Formula, won’t be attending the final races for those series. Reportedly he’s had an affair and so is going through the Japanese press wringer such befitting a celebrity/Johnny’s that has hosed up.

Kondo is doing pretty well too - sucks.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zkRH-_JXtk

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Audi announced LMDh program.

Its happening dot gif.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Its happening dot gif.

They're probably going to have Joest run it, we will see if they manage to make something of it or mismanage it like they did the Mazda effort in DPi.

Granted, though Mazda's program before Joest was an absolute shitpile, it became apparent within a season that Joest were not a magic bullet at all, and got sidelined in favor of Multimatic.

Also, to talk about only LMDh and ignore that Audi is also focusing on Dakar is blasphemy imo. Dakar is awesome, and I wish I had a better way to watch it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 30, 2020

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

orange juche posted:

Also, to talk about only LMDh and ignore that Audi is also focusing on Dakar is blasphemy imo. Dakar is awesome, and I wish I had a better way to watch it.

RedBull TV has the daily recap shows?

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events/dakar-rally-saudi-arabia-2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/jordan10taylor/status/1333878897142849536

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Volkswagen is getting out of all racing so they're probably just shuffling all that personnel to Audi's new projects right?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Its happening dot gif.

net work error posted:

Volkswagen is getting out of all racing so they're probably just shuffling all that personnel to Audi's new projects right?

Maybe. It's unclear how siloed the different VAG motorsports efforts are (eg crossover between Porsche, Audi/Lambo, and VW), though some things appear to have been shared across the group (like the TCR car, or engineering for the motor in the Lambo and Audi GT3 cars) while others are more focused from the brand. But I think that essentially means VW is dropping their support of the TCR car, because they were already out of WRC and any other motorsport at the moment.

[Edit] Apparently the VW motorsports staff will return to VW passenger car development, so likely to drift into ID/electric development. And all “VW leaving motorsports” means is no more VW TCR or R5 rally car.

So, Audi LMDh. This means it will be based on one of the next-gen LMP2 chassis; I would bet that's Dallara, as they were partnered before (Dallara actually built the chassis for the LMP1 program for Audi). Engine is probably gasoline and not diesel; any bets on if it's the same as their current GT3 cars, still the V10? I can see Joest coming back to run it, too, but would also not be shocked if this is going forward as a customer program as well.

For LMDh, this suggests we have Porsche, Audi, and quite likely Acura/Honda, with Mazda TBD and probably a bigger question mark over Cadillac/GM. And add in Toyota and Peugeot from the LM Hypercar side, and we could have some good times once more at Daytona and Le Mans and both IMSA and WEC.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 2, 2020

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

harperdc posted:

So, Audi LMDh. This means it will be based on one of the next-gen LMP2 chassis; I would bet that's Dallara, as they were partnered before (Dallara actually built the chassis for the LMP1 program for Audi). Engine is probably gasoline and not diesel; any bets on if it's the same as their current GT3 cars, still the V10?
The only thing the 5.2L V10 has going for it is that it’s a fully-developed, race-proven engine and is therefore probably the cheapest option. The R8 road car’s days are sadly numbered and there’s otherwise no real connection to be made between that wonderful but obsolescent power plant and the rest of Audi’s lineup. Developing a racing version of the monster 2.5L turbo I5 found in the RS3 and TTRS would be the coolest potential way forward, but it will probably be something far more conventional like a twin turbo V6.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
So, the only DPi that used a GT3 engine was the Nissan, and it had a ton of issues with transmission fragility and weight that basically rendered it uncompetitive once the Mazda was redesigned and reworked by multimatic and joest. None of the other DPis use street-derived engines, and honestly it's probably a mistake at this point to hamstring a program with a street-derived engine like what GT3 cars have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The inside of a prototype's engine bay is very different than the engine bay of a GT3, or any sort of street derived car. A lot of the problems Mazda had were because they were trying to shoehorn a street derived engine into prototype. Temperatures are different, cooling capacity is different, stresses on the engine block and transmission are different, especially if the engine and transmission is a stressed member, G forces are different. All of these things lead to broken cars.