Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
SM580 and Ncase M1 are both good options at or under 15L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Optimum Tech tried to watercool a 5950X & a 3090 in the T1...

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

frytechnician posted:

OK, dream scenario for me here is to find a sub 15L case which will house a 3080 and Ryzen 5900x for my editing rig I'm planning on building next year. Which case would you guys pick if money were no object?

(Money is, in fact, a BIG object but just go along with me here)

Let 3 liters slide and get an NR200.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

How much power consumption does that build work out to and what would be a more reasonable target for that setup?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Finished up my NR200/5900x (w/FUMA 2 cooler)/3080 build.

BIOS says CPU is idling ~70C... which means I probably hosed up on the thermal paste, right? Did the pea method. Cooler itself is firmly attached and level, and fans are oriented to exhaust out the back.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

CopperHound posted:

How much power consumption does that build work out to and what would be a more reasonable target for that setup?

The 5950x is theoretically fine but he was having motherboard problems. A GPU in the low 200 watt range like the 3070 would probably be better, but I'm fairly surprised this didn't work out after he undervolted the 3090 and the PPT of the 5950x.

Cross-Section posted:

Finished up my NR200/5900x (w/FUMA 2 cooler)/3080 build.

BIOS says CPU is idling ~70C... which means I probably hosed up on the thermal paste, right? Did the pea method. Cooler itself is firmly attached and level, and fans are oriented to exhaust out the back.

That, or the cooler isn't seated exactly right. Those temps are definitely way too high.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Open it in HWINFO64 and see if it's constant 70C or if it goes up and down in a weird sawtooth pattern. You can also right click on a value and get it as a graph to make things easier.

Maybe you didn't tigten it enough, or you didn't switch between screws on the heatsink brackets to tighten it more evenly.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

NR200 / NR200P back in stock at Newegg.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ufarn posted:

Open it in HWINFO64 and see if it's constant 70C or if it goes up and down in a weird sawtooth pattern. You can also right click on a value and get it as a graph to make things easier.

Maybe you didn't tigten it enough, or you didn't switch between screws on the heatsink brackets to tighten it more evenly.

Yup, HWINFO will be the first program going in after the Windows install finishes.

I did alternate between screws, but maybe the paste still didn't spread evenly enough, I dunno.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

You might want to use ryzen master - iirc it's supposed to be more accurate for ryzen temps.

70c sounds way high for idle, though. In that case with the same cooler I'm idling at like 28-30c (about +9c over ambient), albeit with a 5800x instead of 5900x.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was someone itt cooling a 3700x with a Noctua L9i in a Node 202. Wanted to know how the temps are holding up and what your boost clocks are. I'm thinking of throwing it in my SM580 and taking out the Asetek cooler.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

CopperHound posted:

It was still ~385W after GPU undervolting, all getting cooled by a slim 240 radiator with slim fans. I'm not super familiar with water cooling, but I think that radiator might have been decent for the CPU alone. Seemed like he had some weird BIOS/AGESA poo poo going with Cinebench though.

Hardware Canucks put a 5900X and an RTX3080 on air in a 10L ATX case recently.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Iirc the pea method isn't good for Ryzen CPUs. AMD recommends using the cross method.

It won't make that much of a difference, but if you need to redo your thermal paste anyway it can't hurt to try it.

I've found HWinfo to be showing temps around 7-10C higher than Ryzen master. HWinfo seems to line up with CoreTemp

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I've noticed that the pea method definitely doesn't work well for Ryzen because the dies are scattered inside the heatspreader and not in the middle. The pea method just isn't enough for the corners. I haven't done a cross but I imagine that's the best one. I put a line striking through the Ryzen lettering since I try to save a little bit on the paste and not have such a mess during maintenance.

Reddit: Ryzen 3000 IHS orientation vs the position of chiplets
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ccrisu/ryzen_3000_ihs_orientation_vs_the_position_of/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just do a thin spread.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

2 vertical lines probably half an inch apart each running about 2/3rds the length of the chip works really well.

Alternatively, a smiley face.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I've noticed that the pea method definitely doesn't work well for Ryzen because the dies are scattered inside the heatspreader and not in the middle. The pea method just isn't enough for the corners. I haven't done a cross but I imagine that's the best one. I put a line striking through the Ryzen lettering since I try to save a little bit on the paste and not have such a mess during maintenance.

Reddit: Ryzen 3000 IHS orientation vs the position of chiplets
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ccrisu/ryzen_3000_ihs_orientation_vs_the_position_of/

That's curious because when I pulled the cooler off, the paste was definitely thicker towards the edges than the center of the chip, yet I was still getting 70C temps. Ugggh.

Honestly the whole thing's currently moot as, before I removed the cooler, I tried applying a XMP profile and now the board won't boot properly. Everything powers on, but it's just a black screen and I can only turn off the computer by holding down the power button.

Might be the memory, might be the GPU (the power pins in one of the connectors were a bit hosed, but I managed to move them back into place and get it to output for that first boot). Guess I'm spending the next few days troubleshooting. :toot:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cross-Section posted:

That's curious because when I pulled the cooler off, the paste was definitely thicker towards the edges than the center of the chip, yet I was still getting 70C temps. Ugggh.

Honestly the whole thing's currently moot as, before I removed the cooler, I tried applying a XMP profile and now the board won't boot properly. Everything powers on, but it's just a black screen and I can only turn off the computer by holding down the power button.

Might be the memory, might be the GPU (the power pins in one of the connectors were a bit hosed, but I managed to move them back into place and get it to output for that first boot). Guess I'm spending the next few days troubleshooting. :toot:

Clear that cmos buddy.

Also are you using display port? I've noticed when I'm having boot issues DP flat out doesn't work, and I get no image on screen. There have been a couple times I'm diagnosing people's PC's that just connecting a HDMI gets an image on screen then change back to DP when windows boots.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

That is curious. Like my cooler and paste install sample size isn't huge since I just do it every now and then with just one paste (heaps of Cooler Master E1 bought off of clearance) but it took me a couple of tries before I realized that small dab in the middle wasn't enough and a more paste improved temps.

All of the methods probably work just fine as long as there's enough of it for required coverage with good pressure.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jeff Fatwood posted:

That is curious. Like my cooler and paste install sample size isn't huge since I just do it every now and then with just one paste (heaps of Cooler Master E1 bought off of clearance) but it took me a couple of tries before I realized that small dab in the middle wasn't enough and a more paste improved temps.

All of the methods probably work just fine as long as there's enough of it for required coverage with good pressure.

This was the ultimate conclusion of every reputable techtube channel that did a bit on it. Too much? Too little? Cross shape? Pea? Smiley? Line? Escher Painting?

As long as you have "enough" that answer is do whatever the hell you want. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go watch the B-roll of GN squirting an entire tube of paste onto an IHS, and then dragging the bead across the motherboard to squirt it into an empty PGA socket one more time.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Following up, I reseated the cooler with the line-through-the-Ryzen method for the thermal paste. BIOS still shows as hot but HWiNFO says it's a cool 35C. :shrug:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My temps are always high in the bios and figured it’s probably got a bit of a load, and it probably manages its own voltage while in there to remain stable since it’s kind of mission critical. But usually it’s only like 10c higher than in Windows when I’ve checked.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Bios temps for all my builds are always higher than windows idle. If you’re HWINFO temps are good then you’re good to go.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Found a place in the UK that has the SF750 in stock for RRP, but their checkout is hosed so I can't even order it. :')

gently caress it, I'll just use CCL.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

ijyt posted:

Found a place in the UK that has the SF750 in stock for RRP ...

I don't understand these bolded words :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I don't understand these bolded words :(

Rarely Realistic Price

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CCL is a computer store in the UK

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Thanks all! :yayclod:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh yeah whoops, RRP is MSRP.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

ijyt posted:

Found a place in the UK that has the SF750 in stock for RRP, but their checkout is hosed so I can't even order it. :')

Mind sharing? My scan SF750 order got pushed back to the 8th...

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Upcoming Sliger cases, basically an NCASE-sized Cerberus, but with a wider variant that fits a D15(S)

https://imgur.com/a/Dg6FO8b

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Llamadeus posted:

Upcoming Sliger cases, basically an NCASE-sized Cerberus, but with a wider variant that fits a D15(S)

Looking real nice.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rhaka posted:

Mind sharing? My scan SF750 order got pushed back to the 8th...

I'm a dumbass, it's not intuitive but you have to click one of the card icons when in your basket before checking out. 4 left in stock, and CCL is now sold out.

https://www.tekshop247.com/product_info.php?products_id=2314099

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Dang, that's terrible Web design. Don't they want to take your money??

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ijyt posted:

Oh yeah whoops, RRP is MSRP.

Manufacturer's Seldom Realistic Price? :)

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

ijyt posted:

I'm a dumbass, it's not intuitive but you have to click one of the card icons when in your basket before checking out. 4 left in stock, and CCL is now sold out.

https://www.tekshop247.com/product_info.php?products_id=2314099

Managed to grab one, even though I didn't see this until 9 hours later! Didn't have to click a card icon. Site seems a bit sketch, so I'm hoping we didn't just order a turd in a corsair box.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hopefully not! Now I just need to wait for Scan to get the NR200 in and Noctua to release that sweet, sweet black NH-U12A.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Same, plus whatever is happening with my 5900x. I'm half tempted to order an ATX case off Amazon until the NR200p gets sent out... or just suck it up and pay the extra 50 quid to order from Newegg.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rhaka posted:

Same, plus whatever is happening with my 5900x. I'm half tempted to order an ATX case off Amazon until the NR200p gets sent out... or just suck it up and pay the extra 50 quid to order from Newegg.

Oh gently caress forgot about the 5900X :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh, the new Sliger S610 and S620 are looking hot.

Pre-orders on 20/11, shipping 7/12.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 15, 2020