Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - You chose them-

Psydog! - 3
Proto! - 3
[FOWL] - 10

...LODING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

OK LET'S GO [fowl] YEAH!!!!

You think it loud, but the enthusiasm doesn't reach your body. You loosely point to the [fowl]. It slithers forth and rises up on its tail, keeping deathly quiet. Not a single hiss, nothing but beautiful medical patterns. There it goes. See it? Right there, now it's [fowl]
now it's

Counselor Blue... looks at her team again, hesitating. She points between the three, muttering to herself and reading the Camp program a few times. You start to drag a foot in the grass when she finally announces "Screw it. Leave it to th'Lady."

(Chance! - 1d3) [1] = Nukulele

"Ok YOU go and beat them up." - the black nuclear music box comes to life with little treads, producing a lovely little string tune as it rolls along to buzz up in front of its opponent. The palm bonsai sways from the speed. The core flares with power, as the Einherjar prepares to attack.

You stare at the box, then at your Einherjar, and think of what they can try to do. It comes as a sharp pain in the scar of your head, from the bizarre sensation of having so many sudden thoughts it stuns you. The [fowl] reacts, slithering forth and coiling in lovely patterns to try an attack.

I want you to use- posted:

Guillotine Fall
Streamwalk
SHOCK!

You don't know what any of these do exactly, but the first one sounds good. The [fowl]

seven
minutes

later

it

advances on the Nukulele, and arcs all of its weight into a killer overhead chop-drop!

(Guillotine Drop) 14 - [2]+[1]+[4] = 8 - Success.
[Guillotine Drop - Special Auto-Crit! Damaged multiplied by 1d6+1.]
[4]+1 = x5 Damage, -5 HP.

It was brutally effective! 35 damage. Nukulele collapsed! The tree is split in two.

Counselor Blue curses "poo poo!!" before she boots some wet dirt to the side and then points at the spider. "LENGLEGS, DO BETTER." The lavender ball scuttles forth with a weave and bob, legs going every which way with sillystring flutters. The [fowl] was

Your attacks changed?! posted:

Slat Slap
Lucy's Love
Transfixtion

leaps into the air, sword shining bright, turning it into a downstab!

It wasn't very effective... 3 damage.

Blue grins with the joy of finally getting her turn. "YES! LENGLEGS, TRY USI- lenglegs why you actin' on your own?"

Lenglegs dual-casted!
Lenglegs used 'VOORISH SIGN'!
Lenglegs cast 'PALE PURPLE POISON'!

(Pale Purple Poison) 18 - [1]+[6]+[1] = 8 - Success!

[fowl] tries to resist!

(Health-10) 4 - [5]+[6]+[6] = 17 - CRITICAL FAILURE!!

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

you're screaming and the [fowl] is crying and then he's gone gone melted into steaming ultraviolet humours and it has an antismell that scalds so cold and makes your eyes water and you're pulling up grass and begging for him to come back up from under the surface don't go

[fowl] collapsed!

Lenglegs does a silly dance!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE
What do I do? What do I DO?!

help help help

(Voting ends tomorrow morning)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shoggoths eat plateau spiders, right? Go Proto!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Lenglegs looks agile and fragile to me. I think we want the one with high damage and high hit rate: Proto.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED

GO-

Psydog!! - 7
Proto!! - 15

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

WHAT DO YOU DOOOO WHAT DO YOU DO WHAT DO YOU DO WHHNNRRKGHGHHHH

The racing thoughts from the brutal end of the [fowl] is cut short by a whipped black tendril that strangles you just long enough to shake focus back into you. The black blob has formed a single globe of golden light on its surface, staring at you while it wrings your neck back to calm.

Focus. Swallow your panic. Eyes on the threat. Why would you rely on something as chaotic and uncertain as a [fowl]? Why put faith in the unreliable nature of silver? This is how you win.

The dark mass releases your neck, ignores your orders, and then does what's best for you.

I'm going to use... posted:

Protocutter
Dark Wave
GRAVITY

A tendril becomes an arm. It drags its mass across the wet ground, smearing the spiderweb pattern, advancing towards the dancing spider. The arm pushes against the ground to launch its mass into the air, which spins with enough force to turn it perfectly spherical, as it hovers in the center of the web. The black blob picks up speed, blowing dust out into the misty airs.

(GRAVITY) 18 - [1]+[3]+[4] = 8 - Success!

The dust and mist comes back in with a graceful arc, making spirals around the increasing mass of the black sphere. Lenglegs grabs on to Blue's ankle with two of its squiggly limbs, the rest of it flopping like a windsock from the force.

(LENGLEGS HOLDS ON FOR DEAR LIFE!!) 5 - [1]+[2]+[2] = 5 - Success?!

By some miracle, the weakling creature manages to tangle all of its arms around Blue, waiting out the rest of the deadly pull. It melts to the ground with dramatic relief once the scar mass slows down and drops, before it bounds back up into another silly dance as it advances for the kill...

Lenglegs dual-casted!
Lenglegs cast 'RESIST RADIANCE'!
Lenglegs cast 'GAMMA RAY'!

The bouncy egg leeeeeans forward, and like a camera flash, your vision simply shuts off entirely, slowly fading back in to reveal the black scarmass smouldering on the ground... but still holding on.

(Resist Instant Death) 18 - [3]+[4]+[5] = 12 - Success!
Proto has 1 HP!!

I WILL KILL IT WITH- posted:

Protocutter
Dark Wave
GRAVITY

There's a keening like a small discordant chorus as the mass crawls across the ground fast enough to make Blue jump and your hair stand up on end, before it splays out as a bladed flower to throw itself onto the spider Einherjar.

(Protocutter) 10 - [1]+[5]+[4] = 10 - Success!
[-3 HP]

Proto did maximum damage! 20 damage.
Lenglegs was eviscerated!
Proto collapsed!

You're frothing at the mouth in pained time with the angry dark mass, seeing it animated strongest when dying. The blob falls apart, melting away into thick oily pitch. The egg-spider was gone, having went down dancing, leaving the floating wheel as the last Einherjar. Counselor Blue looks over the carnage before she smacks the back of the wheel to send it forward to respond. It begins to spin, flashing a rainbow of gemlights - each color seemed to promise a different threat, with no way of knowing what until it landed on one.

In your turn, you spit the froth out and swallow, pointing as the psychic wolf pup runs out and stands with tail up, before it- before it runs back to you and falls over rolling on the ground in front of you, with a ridiculous expression.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

You watch. You nervously look to see what the wheel is doing, but it's just waiting there while Blue stares with a vacant and absorbed smile at the pup's behavior. It gets up and looks at you with all three eyes and wagging tail, waiting expectantly.

You pet the dog.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

The happy pup runs off the middle of the field, the pat sending lightning across your weary brain as a psychic link is established. Blue finishes clapping for your last Einherjar as you will it to make the first move. You try to not think of how close the match is.

Psydog! Try the power of- posted:

PSI Collodial Biology ε!
PSI Silver Flash ε!
PSI Mirror Ω!
Silver Claw!

You think over the wolf's abilities with it, before you both decide o-

Betcha uses passive: Leave It To The Lady! ALL choices randomized!

-ooooh no.

[1d4] - [1]

Psydog tried PSI Collodial Biology ε!
...but it was already at max HP!

oh no no no no

Counselor Blue nods sagely. She claps her hands twice, and the wheel begins to spin, the gemlight colors flashing a mad kaleidoscope across the graygreen field.

(Rainbow Reel) Rndm - [2]+[3]+[1] = 6 - Acid-Element!
Psydog now takes x2 damage!

It stops on a chlorine-green gemstone. The dog barks out in annoyance and discomfort as its silver gleam is tarnished to a nitric-burned pale yellow. It's third eye opens wide with its bared teeth.

[1d4] - [3]
Psydog tried PSI Mirror Ω!

A perfect silver transparency walls octagonal before the pup, right as the wheels begins to spin again. A silver reflection of the wheel in the transparency does the same, as each acts at the same time!

(Betcha Rainbow Reel) Rndm - [4]+[5]+[3] = 12 - Fire-Element!
(Mirror Rainbow Reel) Rndm - [1]+[4]+[6] = 11 - Void-Element!

It stops on a ruby, which heats up until it brings forth a red laser of slaying heat. The beam is dissipated into the silver void of the mirror, the heat sent into the sky with a mist-clearing burst.

[1d4] - [4]
Psydog went for the throat!!

(Silver Claw!) 10 - [2]+[2]+[1] = 5 - GOOD BOY!!

7 damage. Betcha collapsed!

You-

You won?

You won.

YOU WON!!!

You fall over into the grass, shaking from the chill and the violent release of the tension you were holding tightly in your body. You're too stunned to react when the wolf pup races up to lick your face, barking a few times before you looked away for just a second... and it was gone. But you felt your senses sharpen! You stand up with a deep breath.

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]
[+Joy]
[+1 Perception!]

Counselor Blue and Red are both clapping for you, Blue racing over with a "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" to spin and smack you on the shoulder with a congratulations. "Y'did it, kiddo. Proud to be your Counselor." You nod without smiling, still too shook up from the sensations of losing two Einherjar. But you were happy. You overcame! You won the very first thing!

Red taps Blue on the shoulder, expectantly. Blue's smile falters, as she grouches and digs through her purse to yank out a broken blueish gemstone. "'ere you go. No cash on me so this'll have to pay."

On the back of your Black Crows shirt, a gold tally appears. You exhale, delirious light with relief and the knowledge that you were a great camper. Blue and Red both take you along back to the center of the Camp in a hurry, heralded by the rusted speaker blaring out a brief victory tune to signify your win. You could almost see the shape of the Sun through the clouds above, as noon approaches. You found the bag of trail mix in your hands, and you risk two scoops into your belly to silence it for just a little longer. You wanted to rest a minute, but Blue and Red were already taking you past the Camp center, down a path that led to a large clearing south of the buildings. Blue says as she reads the program "You did so good that we think you can just go right into the next game! Quick win quick graduation, right, yeah? Yeah. Cool!"

You stop when you come to the center of the field, the wet grass tickling your shins. You noticed a lot of tiny spider webs speckling the green.

Blue snatches the clipboard from Red, reading it to announce "So it looks like the Petard activity was ya second choice, goin' by the pen marks all over... great name, right?" - she nods to herself with a furrowed brow. "Simple simple word game! Everyone loves a word game. Lookit! It even says that one Counselor has to volunteer for the phrase! RED! I'ma volunteer, cool? Cool!"

She shoves the clipboard and program back to Red. You look at the burned plant woman for once, making a face that begged the question 'What is with your friend?' To your surprise, Red seems to read you, and she just shrugs for the answer. Blue brings you both back to attention, as she stands at the field's perfect center, arms raised dramatically. The Counselor calls out to the sky "HOIST MY PETARD!"

Nothing happens. Still smiling, Blue explains "Says right there in t'program, you gotta stand tall and call that out to start the game. Ain't sure if it likes the phrase I came up with but I think I aaahhhAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA WOAH HI LITTLE FRIENDS!"

There... there were spiders. Tiny tiny pretty purple spiders. Hundreds... thousands? More. All crawling up Blue's leg from the grass, in a steady focused stream. They crowd across her in patterns as she giggles and nervously keeps still. You look at Red, who stares straight ahead at Blue- both of you startle when something under your feet rumbles.

The ground yawns open with a sudden scream of earth and stone breaking, and the awful sound of wood, web, and metal forcing itself from the ruined soil. Grass chunks splatter down as you witness the game construct itself before you -- a massive scaffold, lean and dark with rotted wood, as thousands of tiny spiders all begin to hastily make their way across the surface, weaving around Blue, who now stands precariously on a thin pole of wood with a noose of silk about her neck, mouth, and binding her hands. Mounted above her on the gallows was a large wooden board on which lines appear, counting in spaces.

Red, seeing the situation Blue is in, drops her clipboard and clutches her head, pulling at her singed grass hair. Blue hops up and down on her wooden post, cheering through the silk while the spiders scurry to the board, waiting patiently.

You wipe the grass from your face, bewildered at how fast it all happened. Looking into the pit surrounding Blue revealed nothing but darkness, leaving it all on your wits to win. Just a Fun game, right? Easy game. Fun Fun Fun - words with friends, lest Blue get hoisted by her own petard!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE
Everyone loves word guess games! Especially THIS one! Better pick a good letter, camper.

The first letter guess is...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

THIS CAMP GAME DEMANDS A FAST PACE - VOTING WILL END IN A FEW HOURS!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, I wasn't expecting the counselor to be the one in the noose. The only question is, how many wrong guesses do we get before she's killed?

hapsby
Oct 12, 2012

I just think this judgy rabbit makes a good av.

Picked "e" because it's such a common letter. I've really grown to like our weirdo friends, so I hope we can save Blue...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Picked "E". It's the most common letter in the alphabet, and I think there's a very good chance one of those three-letter words is THE.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Voted S because vowels cost money and we haven't won any yet

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - E

You raise a hand, pointing at the board. But there's hesitation- worry. What was going to happen if you picked wrong? Counselor Red was wringing her hands so hard that she was peeling burned skin off, her masked face watching Blue without pause.

Deep breath. Focus. Relax. Think. Just a letter, right? Just one letter... you say it slowly, garbling the enunciation - 'E'.

There's a long pause. Blue, Red, and even the spiders all look at you, sending a self-conscious spinge down your neck- but then the spiders scramble, leaping up the scaffolding and onto the board. They scratch and silk two letters onto the surface, while the distant loudspeaker makes a positive ringing noise.

Red squeezes your shoulder. Blue hops up and down with a muffled cheer. Your stomach churns once, nerves settling when you realize you picked right. Sure was a lot of empty spaces left though. Next choice was...

PLAYER CHOICE - WHICH LETTER NEXT?

https://www.strawpoll.me/21722123

VOTING ENDS IN THE HOUR!

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

voted T cause it's common

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Edit: I'm dumb and slow. T is a great next choice.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - T!

Keep breathing. Your sharpened senses glitter you with the cold of the wet air, the skittering of the million little spiders, Red's ragged and quiet breathing, Blue's feet papping up and down as she adjusts her weight on the precarious post...

'T'! You say it with false confidence-

-that becomes REAL confidence! The spiders pause a second, and then get about to webbing up the words. Red swings a fist with as much enthusiasm as Blue screams with under her gag. Blue sways back and forth to a beat, seemingly unconcerned with her predicament. FULL confidence in her camper!!

PLAYER CHOICE
Let out a letter, but don't let Blue down! Down, down, down...

What could be simpler than words with friends?

NOT MUCH TIME CAMPERS! HURRY!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted O, I can't think of what else the two-letter word would be other than TO

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Agreed. Maybe it's ___ ___E TO BET ON, given that Blue likes luck and gambling so much? O is definitely the safest bet for now, in any case. If the first letter of the last word is O then I'd vote N next.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

pumpinglemma posted:

Agreed. Maybe it's ___ ___E TO BET ON, given that Blue likes luck and gambling so much? O is definitely the safest bet for now, in any case. If the first letter of the last word is O then I'd vote N next.

"ace to bet on" make some sense

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - O!

Easy easy easy. Right? Easy. Think easy, think smart, be smart. Don't be stupid. Don't. You got this.

You got the confidence to step forward again, with a look spared to Red, before you decide to see if third time's the charm. Has to be.

'O'

...YES! THREE OF THEM!! YES!!! You actually grin, confidence expanding. Red visibly exhales in relief, and presses her hands together in prayer. Blue nods her head a few times, twisting to look at the board above her with a puzzled expression. The spiders seemed none too happy going by how they're starting to swarm around the scaffolding.

It wasn't over, but you were on a roll. You just had to keep breathing. Don't panic.

PLAYER CHOICE
You're getting warmer!

Keep guessing!

Be a SMART camper...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Could the last two words be "LET GO"?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

WARNING - Guessing the full phrase for a win IS allowed, but must be done in the thread with the consent of fellow players. Wrong full-phrase guesses could end the game!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Penultimate word could be BET, GET, JET, LET, MET, NET, PET, SET, WET or VET. Last word could be DO, GO, NO, SO, or YO. (Not TO since we've already guessed T.) I agree LET GO is the most plausible, so I'll guess L as the more common letter.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I am not advocating we guess this yet. But it could be YOU HAVE TO LET GO.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That would fit. It at least gives us something we can base letter guesses on.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - L!

Blue was swaying to the music in her head even harder on the post now, with enough force to make you nervous she's going to slip off- but the woman has uncanny balance, even when she's tip-toe tapping atop the wood.

You look at Red, and she nods her head. You were on to something. You had a GRIP on things.

'L' is what you shout out next, and you can almost hear the groan of a million little disappointed spiders.

Blue was headbanging even harder now, as the webs are spun to splat the one L into its place on the board. The clouds were racing overhead with a sudden breeze, trees whipping their long willow tops through the wet air.

PLAYER CHOICE

You got this!

Remember - the best campers NEVER screw up! Not even once.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - G!

'G' is said without any hesitation.

You actually smirk. Red even grooves her head a little bit in time with Blue, seeming to know what the woman was hearing in her head. The spiders are moving chaotically, nearly messing up the G as they scamper and swing from webs shot all over to grapple around the gallows against the wind. Blue points with one leg at you, and winks. Though as she twists to look at the board again, she seems confused by the words.

You just have to be sure. Absolutely sure. No room for error, no room for doubt, no room for failure.

ALPHABET, EMPHASIS ON 'ALPHA'

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED PREMATURELY?

You blurt it out when your confidence starts to overwhelm you, getting ahead of yourself and your thoughts.

'A'!!!

Red looks at you quickly, tensing up- but then the distant loudspeaker chimes with an affirmative yet again, stretching your grin with mania. RIGHT AGAIN!!

SO CLOSE!

SO CLOSE-

SO CLOSE.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Y!

You wait a little longer this time. Allow your mind an extra few seconds to relax, before you make a mistake like an idiot. Like a fool.

'Y'

Another letter. You look at Red, and she nods at you. The windstorm was fierce enough to send spiders into the air with each gust now, clouding them across the field. Blue remains serene, waiting with pride and patience.

You think you have it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Are you ready to make a guess, campers? Or do you want to try for a few more letters?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'd say one more round and vote V just to make sure its "You have to let go" and not something else.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

20 minutes left for a yea or a nay to that wish.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Randalor posted:

I'd say one more round and vote V just to make sure its "You have to let go" and not something else.

Hard agree. Voting for this.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'd like to see a guess for H and V -- "_a_e" has a lot of potential solutions.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Oh poo poo. It could be either “you have to let go” OR “you hate to let go”. The latter seems less likely, but still possible. So we definitely should not try to guess the whole phrase yet.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

THREAD DECISION - V!

You THINK you have it - but something, squatting in the back of the black, is glaring at you with that pale gold uneye. You can't be sure. You're not sure. You begin to doubt yourself. But you lack a feeling of disquiet from riding off so much confidence. You decide to be a LITTLE more absolutely, totally, completely certain. Only idiots weren't 100%. Only fools. Only someone who wants to die.

'V'!

You look at Red, but she's all eyes and wrung hands for Blue, as the board adds another letter. The spiders not being blown away are lounging around now, chittering and skittering around socially.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Randalor posted:

Agree

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I mean... it could be “you rave to let go”. But I think taking this shot and having it pay off will be good for us, psychologically speaking. Sometimes, you have to let go of your anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"You have to let go" is the only thing I can think of that fits for the missing letters and makes sense as a phrase. That being said, what was this game called again? Eh, I'm sure its fine.