Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough, when I said "you can't" I should have said "you shouldn't".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Demon's Souls fan server is an awesome thing but it's going to be very interesting playing DeS remake with huge active community.

Then again we'll see if DeS remake has that staying power since it's still the same game, for better and worse.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

10 years of pvp tryhards are gonna troll the living gently caress out of the monk fight

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If they balanced it the same as the original people are gonna fly through it. Demon's souls is piss easy compared to the newer games

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The only game console I bought roughly 'at launch' was the Switch, and even that was a few months after. Which I think is a legitimate angle, since it lets you watch for launch-window pitfalls like the PS5's lovely supply issues or the 360's critical hardware failures.

Personally I'd also only ever buy a Nintendo console at launch, too. Because I go for a 'three games I want that are only here or significantly at their best here' rule, and Nintendo hits that number basically by default.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Len posted:

I have almost two weeks off work coming up and want to play demon's souls like it's Christmas break 09 again. I'm doing the responsible thing and getting tires on my car instead

Len posted:

Just buy a dirt cheap ps3 and play it there. Everything I read said it's the same game but prettier

Seems like you solved your own problem?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SiKboy posted:

Seems like you solved your own problem?

But I have poor impulse control and depression. Buying things I don't need sure makes me feel better for a few hours before the regret of wasting money sets in

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

But I have poor impulse control and depression. Buying things I don't need sure makes me feel better for a few hours before the regret of wasting money sets in

This is why my Steam library is so huge.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is why my Steam library is so huge.

:yeah: but also boardgames, and all the consoles I gave in the closet unplugged

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Then again we'll see if DeS remake has that staying power since it's still the same game, for better and worse.

What drags down most remakes for me is they're the same game with a fresh coat of paint. DeS remake with new stuff added and cut content restored (such as the sixth Archstone) would be nice, but I feel like it's too faithful.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

I never heard it as anything but a ps5 exclusive are you sure you didn't just get hopeful like that guy in the switch thread who was convinced p4g was dropping on switch?

No, they 100% said it was coming out on PC during an early announcement. It came as a big surprise to me, it's not the kind of thing I would make up for myself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

No, they 100% said it was coming out on PC during an early announcement. It came as a big surprise to me, it's not the kind of thing I would make up for myself.

Yeah I can back this up, they definitely said this then backtracked. Wouldn't be surprised if it comes to PC eventually since Sony have said they want to bring more of their games to PC anyway, but I get the impression someone was off message

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They said the PC announcement was "human error" so make of that what you will.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
There is some precedent with Horizon ZD at least for Sony exclusives coming to PC. If Demon's Souls eventually makes it then I will have the slightest, faintest hope that maybe

possibly

someday

Bloodborne might make it to PC.

e: V as a steam release

Oblique Angle has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Nov 15, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oblique Angle posted:

There is some precedent with Horizon ZD at least for Sony exclusives coming to PC. If Demon's Souls eventually makes it then I will have the slightest, faintest hope that maybe

possibly

someday

Bloodborne might make it to PC.

Define make it to PC, because you can play it on a PC right now

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Len posted:

Define make it to PC, because you can play it on a PC right now

available for download on a storefront like Steam or GoG. i know you can stream it with a PS+ account (that's how it works right?) but i'm personally probably not gonna play DeS again unless it gets an independent PC release. which.... whatever. there are billioms of games. but console exclusives are a little thing dragging gaming down for me. Horizon Zero Dawn and the Master Chief Collection on PC have been huge gaming bonuses for me this year.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can play it on the ps3 emulator as well

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Danganronpa not being on the switch

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey I just wanted to say I'm sorry for being flippant the other day, I was in a bad mood because I've seen a lot of people talking poo poo about the Demon's Souls remake as if it didn't have tons of care and attention put into it. I don't like it when people disregard the work that went into something that functions as a love letter to its own origin. Not that the complaints are all illegitimate but there are bad faith actors all over who push the idea that it's not possible for a remake to be better than the original in any facet. That's just not true. It was rude of me to presume everyone is posting in bad faith like that and I apologize.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You should never assume someone is posting about video games in good faith imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
replaying The Last Guardian to see it hit a solid framerate for a change and being reminded of how much i hate the loving tooltips and voiceover, which were so obviously added in post by a gunshy Sony

you can tell the opening sequence is meant to be a careful, meditative exercise in environmental puzzle-solving and instead you get this mumbly nonsense voice saying "i had to do this. i had to do that. i had to go here" while these giant ugly controller tutorial windows appear every time you grab a ledge or approach an interactive item

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I get unreasonably irritated when linear action games put hidden collectibles in missions. Most of the game is going to be spent in a narrative emergency so sticking a hidden doodad in that you have to stop the action to wander around and find is dumb.

I'm playing the Titanfall 2 campaign and these stupid helmets are killing me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:same: If your game isn't about scouring through maps looking for secrets then why weaken what your game is actually about in a cheap attempt to inject replay value/achievement points/whatever? Like at least Ubisoft open world games are 85% wandering around pretty places picking stuff up in the first place.

Though generally even as a completionist sort I will happily eschew generic "find 10 of these in each level for a pat on the head!" type crap. Too bad a lot of games decide to "fix" having worthless collectibles by attaching story content or XP or whatever to them...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

Hey I just wanted to say I'm sorry for being flippant the other day, I was in a bad mood because I've seen a lot of people talking poo poo about the Demon's Souls remake as if it didn't have tons of care and attention put into it. I don't like it when people disregard the work that went into something that functions as a love letter to its own origin. Not that the complaints are all illegitimate but there are bad faith actors all over who push the idea that it's not possible for a remake to be better than the original in any facet. That's just not true. It was rude of me to presume everyone is posting in bad faith like that and I apologize.

never apologize to goons

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

christmas boots posted:

You should never assume someone is posting about video games in good faith imo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sally posted:

never apologize to goons

:emptyquote:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Which game popularised having the protagonist mumble poo poo to themselves non-stop for the entire play-through to "subtly" hide tutorials.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gruff white dad protagonist explaining to himself that he needs to follow the lights in the distance to progress.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Strom Cuzewon posted:

PLaying Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, starting on Hard because apparently the game get piss easy, and the first boss is, in all seriousness, the worst loving boss I have ever seen.

It's some weird tentacle mermaid thing on the side of a boat. Most of the time its off on one side of the screen, and will shoot bursts of projectiles that move in really unclear curves and regularly go off the top of the screen so you cant follow where they're going. But it also has waving purple tentacles in the background of the stage that will come forward and swipe at you. But most of the time the tentacles are just wiggling in the background, so you can't track em easily, and its really unclear at what point they're actually capable of hitting you, because depth perception barely exists.

The main boss will also move juuuust far enough away from the end of the ship that you cant reach with your weapons, and will wave its arms between you and the camera, so you cant see if you can reach it anyway. And it damages you if you just touch it, so i keep headbutting it in the tit and getting hit.

It also summons little jumping jellyfish men, which are fine to deal with. Except one of the bosses attacks is to sweep a watery laser across the screen, and the only way to avoid it is to position yourself so that one of the jumping jellyfish men blocks the laser. Except they're jumping around and trying to attack you, and will send their own projectiles bouncing around, so its impossible to actually line the bastards up.

There's no real dodge in this game. You press the left trigger and your character backsteps. But you can't control the direction. So after years of games training you to press dodge+direction what you actually need to do is release the thumbstick completely. Otherwise you'll turn around and dodge into the enemy, which has been about half my deaths so far. Your character moves like a tank, enemies are floaty and chaotic and like the boss, damage you if you walk into them.

I know we rag on games for ripping off Dark Souls, but after playing metroidvania's with bonfire-style checkpoints (Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge) i'm convinced they're far better than traditional checkpoints. Because already, in the first level, I find something cool, die before i get to the checkpoint, and have to go through the tedious task of walking back to where I know a cool item is. Or sometimes I'll get a random pick up and lose it forever.

FWIW the hard mode on bloodstained specifically adds new patterns and mechanics like that to all of the bosses. The normal version of that boss is much more straightforward.
You can't normally access hard mode unless you've already beaten the game (and thus seen all the bosses' normal patterns already) or used a cheat code to unlock it early, unless they've changed that since release

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Which game popularised having the protagonist mumble poo poo to themselves non-stop for the entire play-through to "subtly" hide tutorials.

Max Payne?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's more to build emotional attachment with the player, like with Lara constantly turning scared to the camera

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a shame that comic book games can't mingle with each other like the comics themselves. Would love to have Rhino up to his usual bullshit and then see him get T-boned by the Juggernaut out of his blind spot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

The Demon's Souls remake is bad because I've wanted them to port Demon's Souls to PC for years and now they're remaking it as a PS5 exclusive specifically to spite me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fast travel vs (lack of) healing often feels weird in games, but it especially jumps out in AC Valhalla. Like, you arrive after a weeks-long ocean voyage and you haven't regained as much health as from a night's sleep, or even from eating a single wildberry?! You're a Viking, boats are like your home away from home, you should be arriving onshore at 150% health.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The absolute dumbest fast-travel mechanic is when a game has separate warp-points and save/heal points, but one of the warp points is next to a save point. So you can technically save/heal from any warp point, but only by going through the dumb song-and-dance of teleporting to the one with a save point, saving, and then teleporting back to where you were. Just make the teleporters work as save points directly!

Most recent game I played that did this is Environmental Station Alpha.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Genshin Impact is the same. You can teleport to any waypoint, statue or dungeon entrance whenever you want, but only the statues heal you.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Control is alot of fun but the combat basically devolves into spamming Launch over and over again since the Service Weapon's doesn't do enough damage against the higher level enemies. Feels like Pierce and Charge are the only forms that can keep up with Launch's damage. Not that yeeting stuff at enemies isn't fun mind you, it's just a shame that enemies become bullet sponges later on. Oh, and the number of times I've blown myself up with Surge is embarrassing, especially if you stuck a blast radius mod on it like I did.

Also been playing Ace Combat 7 and I've beginning to come to the conclusion that alot of the missions are way too gimmicky for my tastes, there's not enough missions where you just blow things up without some sort of curveball being thrown at you.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

wafflemoose posted:

Control is alot of fun but the combat basically devolves into spamming Launch over and over again since the Service Weapon's doesn't do enough damage against the higher level enemies. Feels like Pierce and Charge are the only forms that can keep up with Launch's damage. Not that yeeting stuff at enemies isn't fun mind you, it's just a shame that enemies become bullet sponges later on. Oh, and the number of times I've blown myself up with Surge is embarrassing, especially if you stuck a blast radius mod on it like I did.

Also been playing Ace Combat 7 and I've beginning to come to the conclusion that alot of the missions are way too gimmicky for my tastes, there's not enough missions where you just blow things up without some sort of curveball being thrown at you.

I found myself using Launch as my primary attack and Grip for when Launch was in cool down.

I kept trying the other modes, but they never seemed as versatile as Grip. I really only switched to them to complete Board Countermeasures.

Launch was a lot of fun though, so I was ok with that.

My little thing for Control is that there were too many documents and audiotapes. I usually skip that type of world building stuff in games because I find them boring. The ones in Control were pretty interesting though and the completionist in me wanted to read them all, but there were so many and it interrupted the flow of the game to read them as I found them but saving them up made them feel like a chore. I think half as many would have been nice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The absolute dumbest fast-travel mechanic is when a game has separate warp-points and save/heal points, but one of the warp points is next to a save point. So you can technically save/heal from any warp point, but only by going through the dumb song-and-dance of teleporting to the one with a save point, saving, and then teleporting back to where you were. Just make the teleporters work as save points directly!

Most recent game I played that did this is Environmental Station Alpha.

Bloodstained did this and that poo poo was unbearable. I get that that's how Igavanias have always worked but these days we have the technology to make a combined save point/teleporter room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Dying Light is really fun and the first person parkour is surprisingly good but why is sprint using L3 as a toggle??? It's dumb as hell and hard to get right!