Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of Whedon in the Snyder Cut I guess.
He said he's not using any Whedonshots in the film.

4 minutes obviously doesn't count stuff that's been pre-viz'd and he's probably not counting things that were storyboarded or roughed? That's the only way it makes sense to me, as "I always planned for a 10 minute fight with Steppenwulf and the league but here's a few bits where I decided some new poo poo could be useful, 4 minutes worth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just finished Thor as part of my MCU rewatch. One of this movie's big problems is that the first thirty minutes are stuffy and boring as poo poo until Thor gets cast out and the movie actually gets kinda fun. Also I knew about the abundance of Dutch angles going in, but it's not just those that feel weird: there's also a preponderance of extreme close-ups. In fact, the whole production feels kind of cheap, as well as poorly staged and shot. Hiddleston and Hemsworth were both great, but something about them was just... off? It's very weird and I couldn't stop trying to figure out what was going on with Hemsworth's face the whole movie. I think it had something to do with his hair/beard.

Portman's role is kind of thankless but I'm still excited for Jane Foster Thor in Love and Thunder.

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013

Arist posted:

Just finished Thor as part of my MCU rewatch. One of this movie's big problems is that the first thirty minutes are stuffy and boring as poo poo until Thor gets cast out and the movie actually gets kinda fun. Also I knew about the abundance of Dutch angles going in, but it's not just those that feel weird: there's also a preponderance of extreme close-ups. In fact, the whole production feels kind of cheap, as well as poorly staged and shot. Hiddleston and Hemsworth were both great, but something about them was just... off? It's very weird and I couldn't stop trying to figure out what was going on with Hemsworth's face the whole movie. I think it had something to do with his hair/beard.

Portman's role is kind of thankless but I'm still excited for Jane Foster Thor in Love and Thunder.

I think it’s his dyed eyebrows

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MisterDuck posted:

I think it’s his dyed eyebrows

That's definitely part of it, upon examination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Even with the eyebrows he has so much goddamned charisma. I love that they saw how funny he was and ran with that in the character. Thor is my MCU mvp most of the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like the first Thor takes itself a little too seriously at times

Granted I haven't rewatched it since it was in theaters but that is what I kind of think compared to say, Ragnarok. I've actually never bothered to watch Thor 2. That is the only MCU movie I haven't seen so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Granted I haven't rewatched it since it was in theaters but that is what I kind of think compared to say, Ragnarok. I've actually never bothered to watch Thor 2. That is the only MCU movie I haven't seen so far.

The first Thor absolutely is the most serious treatment of the character. He's still kind of himbo but not anywhere on the same level as later.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Thor 2 is a bit of a mess but it's not without its charms.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do love how from Thor onward, he is always having indignant things happen to him. I guess they knew right away that someone so handsome having embarassing things happen to Hemsworth made it hilarious.

FilthyImp posted:

He said he's not using any Whedonshots in the film.

4 minutes obviously doesn't count stuff that's been pre-viz'd and he's probably not counting things that were storyboarded or roughed? That's the only way it makes sense to me, as "I always planned for a 10 minute fight with Steppenwulf and the league but here's a few bits where I decided some new poo poo could be useful, 4 minutes worth."

Yea I think what may be happening is there is 4 minutes of new stuff, but everything else is made up of stuff Synder shot, replacing the Whedon stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thor gets his face smashed into a window/glass in every movie he's in.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The first Thor is very stiff and Hawkeye's cameos isn't as fun as Natasha's. I remember my friend fell asleep during it, but I thought it was ok. Hiddleston is clearly working his rear end off.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

The first Thor is very stiff and Hawkeye's cameos isn't as fun as Natasha's.

They never really do explain why Hawkeye is using a bow and why he's so essential. In the comics he uses arrows because he was a carnie and has all these neat trick arrows. But in the movie he doesn't and everyone else that doesn't have superpowers just uses guns. Movie hawkeye is totally useless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

They never really do explain why Hawkeye is using a bow and why he's so essential. In the comics he uses arrows because he was a carnie and has all these neat trick arrows. But in the movie he doesn't and everyone else that doesn't have superpowers just uses guns. Movie hawkeye is totally useless.

He does have trick arrows in the movie and also basically has Bullseye's power of "literally does not miss." It's still silly to use a bow at all but it isn't like guns make much more sense as being effective against alien superbeings or invincible robots.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hawkeye's intro is definitely very :effort: and "hey, a guy you know from the comics!" But like... at the time it was way, way cool to me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Haven't you always wanted to put a hacked USB into a computer but from very far away?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BrianWilly posted:

Haven't you always wanted to put a hacked USB into a computer but from very far away?

His superpower is getting it right way round on the first try.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

Hawkeye's intro is definitely very :effort: and "hey, a guy you know from the comics!" But like... at the time it was way, way cool to me.

In a way it feels like the hardest they'd lean into 'comics reference so the smark crowd goes OOOO.'

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Dawgstar posted:

In a way it feels like the hardest they'd lean into 'comics reference so the smark crowd goes OOOO.'

It's really quite an artless cameo that they'd never do nowadays (outside of a stinger maybe). Hawkeye showing up and doing literally nothing probably poisoned any chance of anyone ever taking him seriously in the mcu.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DynamicSloth posted:

It's really quite an artless cameo that they'd never do nowadays (outside of a stinger maybe). Hawkeye showing up and doing literally nothing probably poisoned any chance of anyone ever taking him seriously in the mcu.
Casting Jeremy Renner took care of that actually.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just re-watched Avengers and the first half of the movie I find pretty engaging. When it just becomes a slugfest I found myself reaching for my tablet to read the forums and whatever because I got bored.

Really odd decision to have "the Hawk" (he is never called Hawkeye and in this movie he's the only one without a super hero name actually said) brainwashed for half of the movie. Also odd to give the two least developed characters basically a minimal amount of screen time.

I've missed Gregg in these later films. He brings a bit of levity and fun to the role.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I just watched The New Mutants the other night, and found it surprisingly enjoyable and heartfelt. It definitely had some bad scenes, but overall didn’t feel nearly as sloppy and cobbled together as some of the other notoriously re-cut superhero movies (e.g. Suicide Squad.) Still so curious about how Jon Hamm would’ve been as Sinister, though.

Here’s hoping they can actually do a sequel someday. The cast had good chemistry and I think they’d be a great entry point for Mutants in the MCU.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Did New Mutants actually get re-cut?

I thought what happened was Fox was going to do extensive re-shoots that never happened and when Disney get their hands on it they more or less said "this is fine, I guess" and put it out more or less as is.

Never got around to seeing it myself. Was going to go during it's short run in cinemas here in the UK, but then on the day I was going to go the train I needed hit someone, so I missed the film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Veotax posted:

Did New Mutants actually get re-cut?

I thought what happened was Fox was going to do extensive re-shoots that never happened and when Disney get their hands on it they more or less said "this is fine, I guess" and put it out more or less as is.

Never got around to seeing it myself. Was going to go during it's short run in cinemas here in the UK, but then on the day I was going to go the train I needed hit someone, so I missed the film.

The director said the version released is the first version. But none of the Sinister stuff which was supposedly in the first cut is in the movie. So who the gently caress knows.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It at least seemed to have some editing problems. I seem to recall one of the characters is introduced with a broken arm, and then the following day you see him break it. I also vaguely recall there being some lines that felt like a payoff where the setup had been cut, but it's been long enough since I saw the movie that I don't remember them, so maybe not.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
How are you guys watching New Mutants?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is now available as a digital release.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sgt. Politeness posted:

How are you guys watching New Mutants?

In a cinema several months ago.

The experience was miserable, unrelated to the movie itself. Cinemas and social distancing don't go well together.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It came out on disc today too

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So how bad is Illyana's inexplicable racism?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1328750606962499584

Does anyone else look at this picture and go "Oh poo poo, he stole Stryfe's armor!" ?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I look at it and think he's trying to camouflage with the background like a lizard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He looks no different

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It clears the incredibly low bar set by Whedon I guess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
He still has to, well, actually be an engaging antagonist when all is said and done but yeah let's be real that the design is leagues better than it used to be.

heh. leagues

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vince MechMahon posted:

It clears the incredibly low bar set by Whedon I guess.

I disagree. It's somehow worse than just "gnarly guy in weird, biomechanical looking armour". It's way too busy looking.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

OnimaruXLR posted:

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1328750606962499584

Does anyone else look at this picture and go "Oh poo poo, he stole Stryfe's armor!" ?

100% my first and only thought at seeing it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It looks bad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I disagree. It's somehow worse than just "gnarly guy in weird, biomechanical looking armour". It's way too busy looking.

It looks like he did in BvS but fleshed out. It is also at least SOMETHING that makes him look different than a cave troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't find that version interesting or anything, but I don't find it any worse than the old one. Its certainly busier and more detailed. I guess I can understand why some people would enjoy that in principle but it doesn't elicit any response from me in this case.

But truthfully the drip drip of small details has just kind of wore me out and makes it all feel like something I don't really care about, certainly not THIS much. So I'm not the audience I guess.