Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I saw some poo poo in a fb group that he's allegedly been tapped to rework the Buffy reboot as well.

I'm pretty sure they have to at least talk to him if they're doing a Buffy reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure they have to at least talk to him if they're doing a Buffy reboot.

Nah, he was uninvolved when it was announced. But it's gone nowhere so I assume someone thinks he's needed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Nah, he was uninvolved when it was announced. But it's gone nowhere so I assume someone thinks he's needed.

Didn't it turn into a sequel a while back anyway?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Didn't it turn into a sequel a while back anyway?

I haven't seen anything about it in at least a year so who knows if it's even still happening.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I haven't seen anything about it in at least a year so who knows if it's even still happening.

The last I heard of it the new lead was going to be an African American lady and she was one of the slayers that got empowered at the end of the show. Which is already ground the, at least previously, canon comics already kinda covered. But that was also a year ago so I've also got no clue.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sheraz...sh=50fe04c2518f

Fisher went into detail on why he felt the need to retract the statement, citing how fabricated talking points were distributed to the cast of heaping praise on Whedon as Snyder’s replacement.

“For one thing, the cast and crew were told that Zack had handpicked Joss to finish the film for him. I didn’t find out until after the reshoots that that was a complete lie.” Fisher began. “I heard whispers and rumblings of things being off behind the scenes, but nothing concrete until much later. They had us go out to San Diego Comic-Con in 2017 and say Zack picked Joss and that Joss was a great guy. I still have the email with those talking points.”

After Zack Snyder left Justice League’s production in early 2017 following a family tragedy, Warner Bros. Pictures brought in Joss Whedon to conduct reshoots that heavily altered the original film. The cast of the film was taken aback by the things that happened in Snyder’s absence. Yet, the cast was not aware of how bad things were about to get.

“You’ve got to understand, Zack stepped away to be with his family, and we wanted to give him space to do that,” Fisher said. “He and I didn’t speak for about a year after he left.”

Fisher went on to explain how the abusive and unprofessional atmosphere was cultivated behind closed doors even before Snyder departed the project.

“Prior to Justice League’s reshoot process, blatantly racist conversations were had and entertained—on multiple occasions—by former and current top level executives at Warner Bros. Pictures,” Fisher stated. “Decision-makers that participated in those racist conversations were Geoff Johns, Jon Berg, and current Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich.” Emmerich, Berg, and Johns did not immediately respond for comment.

“I realized that the notes I ended up getting from Johns during reshoots were just a coded version of the racist things he was saying with behind closed doors with the other execs,” Fisher alleged.

“A lot of what these guys were doing was in an effort to prevent themselves from being fired during AT&T’s merger with Time Warner,” Fisher pointed out to Forbes. “I plan getting much more specific about each of these guys after the investigation is over—this interview is just the abridged version,” Fisher further clarified.

While Fisher was already aware of the alleged whitewashing, he didn't become aware of these racist conversations until after he started speaking out.

“These conversations were reported to me by people in the room. And I wasn’t made aware until AFTER I had already spoken out about Joss Whedon.”

Toby Emmerich’s the guy who helped New Line Cinema get absorbed into Warner Bros. A lot of people lost their jobs in that merger.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Toby Emmerich’s the guy who helped New Line Cinema get absorbed into Warner Bros. A lot of people lost their jobs in that merger.

But he probably got a nice bonus, and isn't that what counts

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Brett Booth a chud?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Don't have time for a deep dive but a surface scan of his Twitter has a bunch of stuff mocking Trump and at least one mocking anti-maskers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dreqqus posted:

Don't have time for a deep dive but a surface scan of his Twitter has a bunch of stuff mocking Trump and at least one mocking anti-maskers.

I've never seen anything lovely. People just hate his art in BSS.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know it's Bleeding Cool but most of the discourse about Brett Booth when he got announced onto X-Men was on Twitter so this is a pretty decent summary of the complaints about Booth.

The short version is that he appears to be in the "Not a Trump supporter, not Comicsgate, but a dude with enough of a track record of being an edgelord atheist who dismisses any problems that any marginalized fans might have about superhero comics as clickbait faux-outrage that he sure seems like he sucks".

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Reading that article it does seem like he sucks. Never been a fan of his art personally but I looks like he's a particular breed of perhaps non-chud online rear end in a top hat I prefer to avoid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I know it's Bleeding Cool but most of the discourse about Brett Booth when he got announced onto X-Men was on Twitter so this is a pretty decent summary of the complaints about Booth.

So it's less ComicsGate more 'that guy you've muted on Facebook after he read 'The God Delusion.' I only ask because my timeline this morning was mostly 'why not get like anybody else to work on the X-Men.'

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

So it's less ComicsGate more 'that guy you've muted on Facebook after he read 'The God Delusion.' I only ask because my timeline this morning was mostly 'why not get like anybody else to work on the X-Men.'
He's not ComicsGate but he doesn't seem like a particularly cool dude, and I think a lot of people (myself included) don't particularly enjoy his art or even the style of his art, which is another issue. If we found out that Greg Land was secretly a prince among men, a living saint, an empathic hero with a heart of gold, I still wouldn't want him drawing a book I enjoyed reading.

All of this said, he's on board specifically for a two issue arc (and allegedly was requested by Hickman), and people have pointed out that Booth drew the storyline where Moira MacTaggart died* back in 2000 so there might be a reason he's on the book outside of some sort of "the regular artist was too slow and Booth hits deadlines".

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

There seems to be a whole bunch of artists with a kind of similar sketchy style that aren't chuds but definitely chud-adjacent. They know that comicsgate is bad and evs is bad but don't understand why those things are bad and aren't really interested in finding out. See also Sean Murphy and J Scot Campbell (I'd toss Andrew Robinson in that group but he went full formed chud earlier this year).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RevKrule posted:

There seems to be a whole bunch of artists with a kind of similar sketchy style that aren't chuds but definitely chud-adjacent. They know that comicsgate is bad and evs is bad but don't understand why those things are bad and aren't really interested in finding out. See also Sean Murphy and J Scot Campbell (I'd toss Andrew Robinson in that group but he went full formed chud earlier this year).

Sean Murphy is a chud? He wrote Punk Rock Jesus because the rise of Sarah Palin scared him shitless.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He's not. He is however an intensely clueless straight white liberal, which, y'know. Not great but not really the same thing.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jedit posted:

Sean Murphy is a chud? He wrote Punk Rock Jesus because the rise of Sarah Palin scared him shitless.

He's "chud-adjacent." Definitely not as bad as other people or comicsgate but he's willfully ignorant on a lot of things. He's shifted from kickstarter to comicsgate darling indiegogo for his projects and had quit twitter earlier this year in a hissy fit when people pointed out he was spewing right wing talking points about the George Floyd protests.

Like some other people I mentioned, he's not a chud but he's definitely listening to chuds and internalizing some of their bad faith arguments.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RevKrule posted:

He's "chud-adjacent." Definitely not as bad as other people or comicsgate but he's willfully ignorant on a lot of things. He's shifted from kickstarter to comicsgate darling indiegogo for his projects and had quit twitter earlier this year in a hissy fit when people pointed out he was spewing right wing talking points about the George Floyd protests.

Like some other people I mentioned, he's not a chud but he's definitely listening to chuds and internalizing some of their bad faith arguments.

Yeah. I think he liked EVS and company blowing smoke up his butt.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is ComicsGate still a thing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Is ComicsGate still a thing?

I think their chudding out over the election at the moment, but once that settles down they'll probably be back to writing death threats to women who dare to write or draw or have opinions about comics pretty quick.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I think their chudding out over the election at the moment, but once that settles down they'll probably be back to writing death threats to women who dare to write or draw or have opinions about comics pretty quick.

I don't think I heard anything about them since this whole COVID business began, I wonder if EVS is the only creator that made any real money off of it (Unless I'm forgetting others that did well.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bessantj posted:

I don't think I heard anything about them since this whole COVID business began, I wonder if EVS is the only creator that made any real money off of it (Unless I'm forgetting others that did well.)

A few others like that Jawbreakers book or whatever the gently caress it was called made money. EVS is the only one who made enough consistently for the grift to be his full time gig though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's hard at times to gauge just how 'successful' a lot of these crowdfunded comics things are, because even beyond the standard grift of charging $25 for a single issue of a comic, there are frequently a handful of whales spending thousands of dollars to get original art, toys, sketches, trading cards, coins, whatever sort of weird knickknacks they decide to offer. From anecdotal evidence, none of these people are particularly good at sourcing things, calculating shipping, figuring out the logistics of sending all this poo poo out to people, etc. so who knows what the profit margins are; it's all well and good to get backed for $200,000 for a project, but if your costs are $180,000 it's a lot less impressive.

Very few of these campaigns get more than a few thousand people at most as backers, and juice their numbers with ridiculously expensive things: EVS's "million dollar Cyberfrog campaign, the biggest ever [on IGG, ignoring Kickstarter etc.] got like 2/3 of its "million dollars" by selling original art/covers, sketches, the honor of getting drawn into the comic, $250 limited edition slipcases to put all your Cyberfrogs in, and other things entirely external to selling a comic book to people; CGers will always compare their successes to "the lamestream media" or whatever but it's not like book publishing sales charts factor in the sales of original art, t-shirts, sketches, enamel pins, etc. etc. etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It would be really funny to see how much money Jim Lee raked in if he did something similar to what EVS did. Of course he doesn't have to because he didn't get poo poo canned by DC for telling a reader to kill themselves.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

A few others like that Jawbreakers book or whatever the gently caress it was called made money. EVS is the only one who made enough consistently for the grift to be his full time gig though.

Was that the comic done by the guy behind that Diversity & Comics youtube channel?

Edge & Christian posted:

It's hard at times to gauge just how 'successful' a lot of these crowdfunded comics things are, because even beyond the standard grift of charging $25 for a single issue of a comic, there are frequently a handful of whales spending thousands of dollars to get original art, toys, sketches, trading cards, coins, whatever sort of weird knickknacks they decide to offer. From anecdotal evidence, none of these people are particularly good at sourcing things, calculating shipping, figuring out the logistics of sending all this poo poo out to people, etc. so who knows what the profit margins are; it's all well and good to get backed for $200,000 for a project, but if your costs are $180,000 it's a lot less impressive.

Very few of these campaigns get more than a few thousand people at most as backers, and juice their numbers with ridiculously expensive things: EVS's "million dollar Cyberfrog campaign, the biggest ever [on IGG, ignoring Kickstarter etc.] got like 2/3 of its "million dollars" by selling original art/covers, sketches, the honor of getting drawn into the comic, $250 limited edition slipcases to put all your Cyberfrogs in, and other things entirely external to selling a comic book to people; CGers will always compare their successes to "the lamestream media" or whatever but it's not like book publishing sales charts factor in the sales of original art, t-shirts, sketches, enamel pins, etc. etc. etc.

I hadn't thought of it that way, it's probably quite a big logistical task you're giving yourself if you start selling a lot of merch based around one comic you're putting out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Was that the comic done by the guy behind that Diversity & Comics youtube channel?

Dickie Meyers, yeah.

quote:

I hadn't thought of it that way, it's probably quite a big logistical task you're giving yourself if you start selling a lot of merch based around one comic you're putting out.

It is, and EVS is really bad at it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Dickie Meyers, yeah.

It is, and EVS is really bad at it.

Remember when he finally published his comic and the paper was too light weight for all the black ink so the brand new comics looked like they had water damage?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Remember when he finally published his comic and the paper was too light weight for all the black ink so the brand new comics looked like they had water damage?

Also his special edition commemorative coins were just coins with a sticker on them because getting things minted was harder than he thought?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

remember how the only female character in jawbreakers was a black girl in a party city tribal costume who was introduced with a butt shot

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
power down knifehand

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Also his special edition commemorative coins were just coins with a sticker on them because getting things minted was harder than he thought?

Oh you have to post how lovely that is, it's really something

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh you have to post how lovely that is, it's really something

If I got this out of a gumball machine in a Little Caesars I would want a refund

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BoosterDuck posted:

power down knifehand

Don't forget Dickie's black character had "THE POWER OF A !000 SLAVES!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sliami posted:

If I got this out of a gumball machine in a Little Caesars I would want a refund

Can't you just pry the sticker off the front and you'll have doubled your money?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I paid 25 cents to get it, it cancels out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sliami posted:

I paid 25 cents to get it, it cancels out

It's on a half dollar. You went from having 25 cents to having 50 cents.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

bessantj posted:

Mike Baron IndieGoGo’d a Florida Man book edited by the Bleeding Fool guy, and drawn some random gater who kept spamming that “Whisper Network” article in a bunch of Facebook groups. Though with the exception of that last bit, they tried to downplay their connections to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh, apparently loosening the Comics Code brought us communist SJW comics is the new talking point, I guess?

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1328139279428579329?s=20

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair the code might have curbed Erik’s worst excesses.