Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Wow all this hype for the most anticipated fight of the year in 2016 Bud Crawford vs Kell Brook. How the might have fallen.

EDIT:

Marching Powder posted:

i'm going to be pissed when bud's most significant fight is going to be the one against viktor postol which he won easily. waste.

Jeff Horn was an unbeaten title holder and had just beaten Manny Pacquiao :mad:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm going to be pissed when bud's most significant fight is going to be the one against viktor postol which he won easily. waste.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
So is ESPN showing just the Crawford vs Brooks fight? There seems to be like 8 mins of some college football bullshit going on instead.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Why is streaming boxing so hard in 2020? I paid espn money for the loma fight, but like the crawford fight isn't streaming? wtf

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Per @trboxing the fights won’t start until this football game is over, apparently

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
e; fb

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Russell Mora, if you're curious, is the guy who refereed Mares-Agbeko and REFUSED to penalize Mares for about 4 low blows

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 15, 2020

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Adalaide Byrd's husband is the ringside review judge, btw.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I'll never complain about the length of MLB or NBA replay reviews again.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Why is this taking forever? It's one round lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol it’s clearly from a jab. The entire Byrd family is useless

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
This is way more drama than I thought there would be when I casually started watching after football ended

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

they could've watched the entire fight in half speed from multiple angles by now. jokes.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
They've got the clock running. Nice

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Andre Ward telling it like it is.

e. Jesus Christ that was awful

Hit Man fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 15, 2020

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

27 minutes of replay after a 6 minute fight is definitely a way to get new viewers into boxing

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Just disgraceful incompetence

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hands down worst sport in the world

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

chaoslord posted:

27 minutes of replay after a 6 minute fight is definitely a way to get new viewers into boxing

Also get it completely wrong while the commentators poo poo on it (as they should).

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

hrollins posted:

Also get it completely wrong while the commentators poo poo on it (as they should).

Broadcasters so bewildered, not even bleeping the guy

hrollins
May 20, 2003
I have no idea why I watch boxing. None.

No, do not respect the NSAC. Dana White broadcast their meetings on Fight Pass to show what a corrupt clown show they are. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Dana White sucks, but holy poo poo if you got to watch any of those NSAC meetings, what a poo poo show. This corruption at the cost of any legitimacy the sport has left knows no bounds.

hrollins fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 15, 2020

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

hrollins posted:

:xcom: but with boxing for sure

hrollins
May 20, 2003
That was almost the worst I’ve seen from Robert Byrd.

Oh wait, it’s not. Robert Byrd has no business being anywhere near a boxing ring.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7bb1nc

Mairis Briedis vs Krzysztof Glowacki Full Fight June 15, 2019 - Please note this is a World Boxing Super Series high profile fight. Holy poo poo.

I’m sure most everyone in this thread has seen this, but even if there’s one new person, worth it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

These delays are basically just preemptively rubbing salt in british fans wounds

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

TBC is p good.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hit Man posted:

TBC is p good.

hrollins
May 20, 2003

Hit Man posted:

TBC is p good.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
pretty sweet short right. That's some power he has

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Hit Man posted:

TBC is p good.

agreed!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

hrollins posted:

Oh wait, it’s not. Robert Byrd has no business being anywhere near a boxing ring.

Mairis Briedis vs Krzysztof Glowacki Full Fight June 15, 2019 - Please note this is a World Boxing Super Series high profile fight. Holy poo poo.

I’m sure most everyone in this thread has seen this, but even if there’s one new person, worth it.

oh my god

hrollins
May 20, 2003

It somehow gets worse every time I watch it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

hrollins posted:

Jesus gently caress. Insane someone can be that bad at their job that is so important.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

hrollins posted:

I remember watching this live on DAZN and my wife thinking something was wrong because I was screaming incredulously

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
can someone who did watch this shitshow quickly sum up whatever the gently caress happened?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Just watching the Crawford fight now...what a loving clinic

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Post KO... Brook looks confusedly up at his trainer and asks ‘what happened?’

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Marching Powder posted:

can someone who did watch this shitshow quickly sum up whatever the gently caress happened?

Joshua Franco and Jason Maloney had a rematch of a fight from this Summer where Franco beat Maloney for a secondary belt at super flyweight (118 lb)

Franco damaged his left eye early in the fight and the cause was ruled to be an accidental headbutt by referee Russell Mora. Maloney's team maintained this was caused by a punch. The difference being that if it is an accidental headbutt and the fight is stopped inside four rounds then it is ruled a no contest and Franco maintains the belt, otherwise it is a TKO win for Maloney. As Troy Queef noted earlier, Mora has a history of bad rulings that affect fights

By the second round Franco's eye had completely shut and the attending doctor called the fight off which was then ruled a no contest from Mora's earlier call.

Nevada does allow for replay so they began that process afterwards to determine if it was a headbutt or punch. The replay official was Robert Byrd (Adelaide's husband) and the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission Bob Bennett was overseeing. Despite the fight lasting barely over 5 minutes, the replay process lasted over 25 minutes and as it dragged on it became increasingly unclear as to what they were even looking for. Throughout this the ESPN commentary crew-especially Tim Bradley-were adamant that it was a punch and Bob Arum came over to Byrd and Bennett several times which only added to the strangeness as ESPN added a "time from when the fight was called" clock on the screen.

Ultimately they did not change the original ruling (though they still might at a later date) and the only commentary from the official was an interview given by Byrd where he said he saw two headbutts. Bob Arum continued to harangue Bennett as he left the ballroom and threatened to stop holding fights at the MGM Grand 'bubble' or anywhere else in Nevada.

I, along with everyone else watching in the Discord, wished for the sweet embrace of death

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/1327831408795021313

https://twitter.com/Sean_Zittel/status/1327832833990172673

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
TL;DR version:

The SituAsian posted:

The replay official was Robert Byrd

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like Byrd used to be a good ref

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone with the last name Byrd, related or not, should be barred from reffing or judging fights, just to be safe.

Literally the only good thing I can say about Robert Byrd is that he’s not the most incompetent person in his family.