Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

muscles like this! posted:

Also LPL is some kind of ancient lockpicking god going from how fast he is able to burn through anything put in front of him.

True. Also, lock picking is such a tremendously physical, tactile skill that watching YouTube videos on it isn’t really going to get you far in being able to do it. It’s kind of like trying to learn bottom-dealing or other cars tricks by video. You can impart the information on what needs to be done (and what tools can help you), but to actually get yourself to the place where you can do it (especially at LPL’s level) you need to just spend all of your free time for years just practicing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oh no.

A big flaming stink posted:

contra has an interview out about being canceled

its bad

https://twitter.com/ifeelthewind/status/1327484731924094976

i mean contra has alot of issues (most of which i am not qualified to talk about really) but this twitter seems to be a little hyperbolic and thats coming from me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That twitter is really insufferable but anyone who does a loving interview about 'being cancelled' deserves to be shot into the sun because holy gently caress shut the gently caress up you crying baby you're not 'cancelled' if you're getting a loving interview about how you're a victim!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Just gonna go ahead and post the full interview, if for some reason you want to know Natalie's opinion on beers https://oct.co/essays/natalie-wynn-contrapoints-interview

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

couldn't think of something i'm less interested in, thanks!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

anyone who does a loving interview about 'being cancelled' deserves to be shot into the sun because holy gently caress shut the gently caress up you crying baby you're not 'cancelled' if you're getting a loving interview about how you're a victim!

Stop.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

You should pay me for having to see this.

edit: lmao at the content warnings for things that are only in their own tweet.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 15, 2020

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Turns out it's okay to express how you felt and how you feel, in an interview or otherwise. And I don't know how one could get mad at the completely normal take of "I found people making GBS threads on me constantly emotionally difficult".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

They kind of have a point though. If you're doing an interview about being cancelled and offhandedly mention that it was actually a very profitable time for you, but was just so dang hard on you, emotionally, despite how many supporters that had your back and were lining up to give you more money; maybe you weren't actually cancelled.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Nuebot posted:

They kind of have a point though. If you're doing an interview about being cancelled and offhandedly mention that it was actually a very profitable time for you, but was just so dang hard on you, emotionally, despite how many supporters that had your back and were lining up to give you more money; maybe you weren't actually cancelled.

Not really? I stopped watching Contra because I didn't like what she did but saying she's not allowed to feel isolated because she has a successful business is absurd. I've yet to see argument along the lines of "you are x, thus you cannot be a victim of y" that actually holds up, maybe they're actually all bad arguments?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean I would feel pretty lovely if I had people writing things like that tweet about me

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dire Lemming posted:

Not really? I stopped watching Contra because I didn't like what she did but saying she's not allowed to feel isolated because she has a successful business is absurd. I've yet to see argument along the lines of "you are x, thus you cannot be a victim of y" that actually holds up, maybe they're actually all bad arguments?

Yeah it's not like hearing positive things cancels out hearing bad stuff, in any real life scenario. Imagine trying to hold onto a good mood when someone accuses you of cannibalizing trans people.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 15, 2020

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Garrand posted:

Just gonna go ahead and post the full interview, if for some reason you want to know Natalie's opinion on beers https://oct.co/essays/natalie-wynn-contrapoints-interview

It's a really good read, she has a ton more nuance and insight into herself than that ridiculous quote tweet is implying

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If I'm recognizing that icon rightly, that twitter account is one of the small trans twitter people Contra posted a tweet from back in her weak attempt to apologize for the Buck Angel video, which was immediately undermined by the aforementioned pulling up random tweets expressing a dislike of her + one who said she should be backhanded (they're not that one.) I can see how they'd still be pissed and feel like Contra threw them under the bus from that poo poo after getting swarmed by her fans. I also feel like hate-following her months later to give updates on interviews and make excessively graphic cartoonish parodies of her remarks is still kind of too much.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dire Lemming posted:

Except that's not what people are saying, no one's even saying her feelings aren't valid. Just that if you've still got a massive audience, didn't take any kind of active hit and still have people wanting to interview you to hear about how hard it is to be you: were you actually cancelled? She's free to feel however she wants about whatever she wants, but it seems silly to stand on a stage people you, yourself, have maligned will never even get close to and say how hard it is to be cancelled, speaking to an audience that waits on your every word - which you still have because...cancellation means your audience only grows, right?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nuebot posted:

Except that's not what people are saying, no one's even saying her feelings aren't valid.

People are, literally, directly, in the bluntest terms possible, saying that Natalie isn’t allowed to feel bad about anything because she makes money from YouTube

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its not an interview about being cancelled. most of the questions are not about that and she only mentions it because shes asked. if youre gonna insist on continuing this extremely stupid argument you should read more than the insane twitter person.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Nuebot posted:

Except that's not what people are saying, no one's even saying her feelings aren't valid. Just that if you've still got a massive audience, didn't take any kind of active hit and still have people wanting to interview you to hear about how hard it is to be you: were you actually cancelled? She's free to feel however she wants about whatever she wants, but it seems silly to stand on a stage people you, yourself, have maligned will never even get close to and say how hard it is to be cancelled, speaking to an audience that waits on your every word - which you still have because...cancellation means your audience only grows, right?

I just checked her channel and she's made literally half as many videos this year as the previous two years, it seems like this whole affair has had a pretty big effect on how much her ideas are getting out there. I wouldn't call it cancelling because I wouldn't call anything cancelling it's a dumb term but you can't say it's had no effect on her, it's probably had more of an effect than any other case I've seen of someone "being cancelled."

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah sure they go on and on about how "super loving hard" it is for the "semi-passable transes" to explain their pronouns when they go to trans/nb-inclusive bars and berate the non passing, but has anyone considered that they feel really lonely about it? Truly being affluent and passing is the hardest thing, the rest of us just can't imagine what it's like.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah sure they go on and on about how "super loving hard" it is for the "semi-passable transes" to explain their pronouns when they go to trans/nb-inclusive bars and berate the non passing, but has anyone considered that they feel really lonely about it? Truly being affluent and passing is the hardest thing, the rest of us just can't imagine what it's like.

what are you talking about

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Breakfast Burrito posted:

what are you talking about

Go find it in the last thread, but contra is kinda extremely lovely about how the non-passing trans or the NB or just people asking pronouns makes her feel bad. It's kinda come up pretty often.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Can we not continue this derail for heaven's sake, it's not even like she has a new video out or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhTkX3e-U0

New Sohla-based content is here

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Okay but to me contra straddles the line between advocating for trans rights and trans people whilst also pushing for the harmful idea that there are tiers of acceptable "transness" with non binary and non passing people being lesser or a burden to the movement as a whole.

Not every transperson is able to straight up come out and some explore non binary identities before they gain the confidence to do so

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ash Crimson posted:

Okay but to me contra straddles the line between advocating for trans rights and trans people whilst also pushing for the harmful idea that there are tiers of acceptable "transness" with non binary and non passing people being lesser or a burden to the movement as a whole.

Not every transperson is able to straight up come out and some explore non binary identities before they gain the confidence to do so

I feel Contra has this thing where she's still trying to deal with her own identity while having this big-rear end platform and becoming one of the biggest trans voices on YouTube. The whole NB debacle started with her feeling weird about getting neutral pronouns while she's been doing everything "right" to pass as female. You add that to having grown up in 4chan culture and the most confrontational Internet places you can think of and well...

Twitter is also a poo poo place for any sort of discourse, because if you voice something stupid out loud you have all of five minutes to issue an apology before you start getting yelled at if you got any sort of audience.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's fairly telling that the money discourse in those tweets is pure crab-bucketry. Everyone should have the income to support themselves, insisting everyone be destitute and miserable is just vile.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

It's fairly telling that the money discourse in those tweets is pure crab-bucketry. Everyone should have the income to support themselves, insisting everyone be destitute and miserable is just vile.

No you see why do you have money when you could be giving me money for nothing???

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Archer666 posted:

No you see why do you have money when you could be giving me money for nothing???

Yeah, they should totally never be criticized on how they go off on how financially well of they are while also saying that the NB and those who can't pass or who can't afford to take steps in that direction are doing it wrong, all while going that they just feel so bad about being shunned by them for saying they're lesser.

If you want to talk vile, I'd put saying that the poor or non passing being uncomfortable hindrances is way higher on the vile-o-meter than "man this person sure makes a lot of cash using their platform to tell us we're second class"

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 15, 2020

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, they should totally never be criticized on how they go off on how financially well of they are while also saying that the NB and those who can't pass or who can't afford to take steps in that direction are doing it wrong, all while going that they just feel so bad about being shunned by them for saying they're lesser.

If you want to talk vile, I'd put saying that the poor or non passing being uncomfortable hindrances is way higher on the vile-o-meter than "man this person sure makes a lot of cash using their platform to tell us we're second class"

I just don't think she has said any of those things though, like at all? Or at the very least that is an incredibly uncharitable way of viewing what she said? Maybe I just haven't seen the things you're talking about

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Blameitonjorge basically made a compilation of all the lost media videos they've made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9vvhq57BkI

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

I just don't think she has said any of those things though, like at all? Or at the very least that is an incredibly uncharitable way of viewing what she said? Maybe I just haven't seen the things you're talking about

wot u say

kinda feels like she's pulling up the drawbridge to me

it's a poo poo take

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, not only have they not said that, they've also specifically said that they don't believe that. :confused:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

she literally has made fun of nb people who don't pass enough talking about how it's just so crazy to be expected to respect someone's identity just because they don't instantly read to her as it, so yes the lady with the money for poo poo like facial surgery and all long before she got internet famous being all 'the money isn't everything you know' after making GBS threads on people without her resources is actually extremely hilarious.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

she literally has made fun of nb people who don't pass enough talking about how it's just so crazy to be expected to respect someone's identity just because they don't instantly read to her as it, so yes the lady with the money for poo poo like facial surgery and all long before she got internet famous being all 'the money isn't everything you know' after making GBS threads on people without her resources is actually extremely hilarious.

nevermind that passing in and off itself is so subjective and it's literally just her calling herself passing, congratulating herself and taking a big, thick, heaping dump on everyone else

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Please stop

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Please stop

moviebob

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ash Crimson posted:

wot u say

kinda feels like she's pulling up the drawbridge to me

it's a poo poo take
the last one is whiffing but tbf I've known more than one trans women who has had the experience of repeatedly getting referred to with gender-neutral pronouns because of people assuming neutral is automatically the least offensive, but they don't want to be referred like that and it's still misgendering just in a different way. like some people will just hit everyone who looks at all gender nonconforming with they/them(but not cis women) which is frustrating 'cause it's just another form of clocking them albeit less direct

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Hats of Entertainment does videos on media that has been forgotten due to it's initial failure. A lot of stuff I've never heard of, like Chevy Chase's Late night show, Gilligan's Island but in a western setting, The Bill & Ted/Blazing Saddles sitcoms.

This one is about a Laurel and Hardy style Nixon movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNHqsCFUVI

They do other stuff too though, like this mini documentary on James Gandolfini's career outside of The Sopranos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egP3fZKmlZA

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sarcopenia posted:

Blameitonjorge basically made a compilation of all the lost media videos they've made.

Watched this when it showed up in my subscription list. Super interesting and I highly recommend it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A cute video about Hank Hill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMGlsfUkzJg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sarcopenia posted:

I watched a bit of this. It's incredible how the iceburg has things like "murderers who murdered and videotaped it" and "Chicken Little 2" in the same category. I feel like someone ought to reorgaonise it a little. :stare: