Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"Interrogate the airplane" is such an entertaining mental image, at least compared to the more mundane reality of it.

I'm partial to the word "fondle." It captures the slight feeling of violation, or at least impropriety, from my esteemed vantage as master and commander of my aircraft, when maintenance is probing data, via ACARS, that I didn't even know existed, (much less displayed to me in the cockpit) while I'm on the phone with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"Interrogate the airplane" is such an entertaining mental image, at least compared to the more mundane reality of it.

The airplane and engines are Canadian, so I assume it involves asking politely, and maybe offering some poutine or Tim Hortons in trade for the relevant fault codes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ola posted:

The flying bits are in the minority in this clip, but it fits in this thread as well as several others within the same topic space I figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcggNe-SEXU

I really like these 60 fps upscales that are all over youtube these days. There's something about the machine learning interpolation that lends itself well to filling in the blanks between the frames of old footage. There aren't many noticable artefacts either. If you pause and step frame by frame with the period key, you can see one example on dust specks. They appear only on one frame on the real film, but they are interpolated as growing from a tiny point, being a dust speck, then vanishing again. With low detail and high contrast anyway, the algorithm has an easy job.

Just so people know, this is a previously lost D-day documentary made from early film returns for VIPs like Churchill and Stalin. I've watched a third of it and the whole "old timey context, 60 fps" is persistently mindblowing to me

e: at 15:50 there's a "strafing is a man's job, tokero" moment

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 15, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Look, the airbus control laws chart clearly says you can fly with rudder and elevator trim as a mechanical backup! I’m sure that’s something that is extremely viable.

http://www.airbusdriver.net/airbus_fltlaws.htm

Fly, yes. Land?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Somewhere, eventually.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Safety Dance posted:

Somewhere, eventually.

“You want to be particular and make it a runway, huh?”

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MrYenko posted:

“You want to be particular and make it a runway, huh?”

I just finished my CPL and landed on a runway....uhm, once.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ola posted:

The flying bits are in the minority in this clip, but it fits in this thread as well as several others within the same topic space I figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcggNe-SEXU

I really like these 60 fps upscales that are all over youtube these days. There's something about the machine learning interpolation that lends itself well to filling in the blanks between the frames of old footage. There aren't many noticable artefacts either. If you pause and step frame by frame with the period key, you can see one example on dust specks. They appear only on one frame on the real film, but they are interpolated as growing from a tiny point, being a dust speck, then vanishing again. With low detail and high contrast anyway, the algorithm has an easy job.

lol @ the "dude, if you didn't see your local company in the compilation we didn't mean to throw any shade" slide.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

No, fly-by-wire jets need electrical power to fly, and the planes are designed with that mind. The F-16's control stick, for instance, only moves about 10 degrees in each direction, so even having a direct hydraulic connection as a backup wouldn't make much sense.

Fly-by-wire jets have multiply redundant electrical and hydraulic systems, and an emergency power unit in the case that all the primary systems fail. In the case of the F-16 it's got a hydrazine-powered emergency turbine/generator that will keep the computers running and hydraulics pressurized long enough to make an emergency landing, hopefully..

I thought I remember the SR-71 checklists being posted here and a bunch just ended with "eject". :v: Maybe somebody can find the posts because my memory tends to embellish things (everybody's does really).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charles posted:

I thought I remember the SR-71 checklists being posted here and a bunch just ended with "eject". :v: Maybe somebody can find the posts because my memory tends to embellish things (everybody's does really).

My dad got the big hard copy manual back in the 90s when it got published and I remember one of the checklists being “Failure of A and B Hydraulic Systems” and the only item on it was “Eject.” A lot of others were four or five items long and ended the same way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah that's how it is for a lot of jets.

I recall that if you have an engine-out in an F-104 with less than 10,000 feet of altitude, you are supposed to eject, because even in the cleanest possible glide ("glide") you are still going to descend at 7,000 feet per minute. 11,000fpm once the gear is dropped.

And similarly if you are in a Harrier and your nozzles get jammed forwards, precluding a vertical landing, you also eject, because the gear is not designed to take the stresses of a conventional landing.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I just finished my CPL and landed on a runway....uhm, once.

Just in case you didn't get the reference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7rueLOU6Fs&t=320s

Rest in peace, Al Haynes and Denny Fitch. You saved a lot of people that day.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

BobHoward posted:

His whole speech is fascinating, ended up watching the whole thing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hurricane landing mishap:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-cambridgeshire-54931793

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Al Haynes came to my college once and gave that talk. It was legit spine tingling to hear him speak about that accident

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Apropos of nothing, we currently have planes from three different NASCAR racing teams in our facility for various levels of maintenance and modifications. Listening to the customer reps talk poo poo about each others' jets and maintenance practices is fascinating. I can't even imagine what the actual car guys must be like.

I've suggested to my boss that maybe we could have them taxi-race a few laps around the field, but so far he hasn't been willing to pass that along. I'll keep trying.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that's how it is for a lot of jets.

I recall that if you have an engine-out in an F-104 with less than 10,000 feet of altitude, you are supposed to eject, because even in the cleanest possible glide ("glide") you are still going to descend at 7,000 feet per minute. 11,000fpm once the gear is dropped.

And similarly if you are in a Harrier and your nozzles get jammed forwards, precluding a vertical landing, you also eject, because the gear is not designed to take the stresses of a conventional landing.

Speaking of which, I spied a lonesome-looking F-104 sitting on the apron pulling Gate Guardian duty at the Easton, MD airport on the MD Eastern Shore. Turns out it's a rich guy's toy that he *donated* to the airport: https://www.i-f-s.nl/news/fx51-fg813-donated-to-easton-apt/

They just had it sitting outside looking all lonesome. =/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
An Alaska Airlines jet hit a grizzly bear while landing.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Should have abearted that landing

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"How did you hit that, I warned you like three times!"

"Frank, all you kept saying was 'Bear left'."

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

That's already buffed out I guess.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Great, another thread making unbearable puns, this one's gonna get grizzly.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Pilot: “where’s the end of the runway?”
Tower: “if you feel a bump, that’s ursine.”

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Uuuhhh uuuhhhh.......

poo poo

I guess that plane was loaded for bear?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

He was just trying to get at the cargo hold with all its delicious picanic baskets. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Uuuhhh uuuhhhh.......

poo poo

I guess that plane was loaded for bear?

You don’t have to panda to your audience like that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Guess that grizzly wasn't a fan

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Guess that cowling couldn’t bear the impact force.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Must have been a real kodiak moment

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Guess that cowling couldn’t bear the impact force.

Hopefully the engine isn't bruined.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Fat chance of coming out from such a hairy landing like that unsgaythed

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

The bear hit that plane.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Somebody’s right to bear arms was infringed

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I didn’t even know bears could fly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

i own every Bionicle posted:

I didn’t even know bears could fly

When military aviators heard an airliner struck a bear, they assumed the worst.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Really wish everyone would stop ursine around.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

but is the bear ok?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

*kills self*

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

but is the bear ok?

Last I heard it wasn't bearing up under the strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Arson Daily posted:

*kills self*

I can bearly believe you broke the bear joke streak at 19, wanted the record. :colbert: