Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I would probably answer with "a bit of everything" but I could probably follow it up with examples and why, what I like about them in common.

Yeah, I've said it too. And it's most true. There's nothing wrong with the statement per se. It's more "a bit of everything" & leaving it at that, where as I'd then, if prompted, go into a deep dive into what I mean by that. And while I do like a bit of most things, it is overwhelmingly guitar music I listen to because at heart I'm still a boring white guy who came of age in the '90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cerv posted:

Starmer's Desert Island Discs picks

Dobie Gray - Out on the Floor
Beethoven - symphony no 6 (the Pastoral Symphony) 5th movement
Jim Reeves - Welcome to My World
Orange Juice - Falling and Laughing
The Edwin Hawkins Singers - Oh Happy Day
The Lightning Seeds, Baddiel & Skinner - Three Lions
Beethoven - piano concerto no 5 2nd movement
Artists for Grenfell - Bridge Over Troubled Water

all solid choices except #6 he's dead to me now

Has anyone went onto Desert Island Discs and actually selected the music they really liked?
And not some designed by committee bland safe trash for maximum PR poo poo this obviously is.
"Oh yeah, my next one is from my student times, the anthem of my youth. It was a toss up between this and Prodigy - Firestarter.
It's Primal Scream - Miss Lucifer Jags Krooner Remix".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Has anyone went onto Desert Island Discs and actually selected the music they really liked?
And not some designed by committee bland safe trash for maximum PR poo poo this obviously is.
"Oh yeah, my next one is from my student times, the anthem of my youth. It was a toss up between this and Prodigy - Firestarter.
It's Primal Scream - Miss Lucifer Jags Krooner Remix".

According to the Wiki page, some pianist went on & picked all their own tunes which was probably very honest in the least appealing way possible.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

forkboy84 posted:

Everything is tiresome to someone. If you can't put together a sincere choice of 9 songs for a throwaway Radio4 programme listened to by I assume not that many people because it's on when most folk are out at work then what else are you going to lie about? Is it massively important in the scheme of things? Of course not but why miss a chance to roast Keith for being the disingenuous empty jacket that he is?

I accept that not everyone thinks as much about music as me (& I'm not claiming I think about it deeply, don't get me wrong. It's mostly thoughts of "god, I forgot how good this band is" or "god I will never stop loving this" or "gently caress me that is the greatest riff") but I can't help side-eye the sort of people who answer the question "what music are you into?" with an empty platitude like "oh, a bit of everything" or "whatever is on the radio". This is not necessarily my finest personality trait, I accept that.

might be alone in this but I think we can miss this and other chances to make fun of Keir Starmer for non-political reasons. feels a bit performative, like getting mad at Corbyn for having a scruffy suit or whatever

I would suggest that Starmer may have chosen some of the songs for political reasons rather than aesthetic ones, i.e. signalling that he's comfortable with English patriotism, that he supports the victims of Grenfell

I would also suggest that the reason people say things like "oh, a bit of everything" or "whatever is on the radio" is because answering otherwise tends to lead to an argument or interrogation or outright snobbery from people like yourself. perhaps you are responsible for your own misfortune here?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe his actual list was just a bunch of Anal oval office songs, so they had to focus group him a new one. Couldn't go with "You're Gay", "Technology's Gay", "Recycling Is Gay", "The Internet Is Gay", "Windchimes Are Gay" could he?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

I can't help side-eye the sort of people who answer the question "what music are you into?" with an empty platitude like "oh, a bit of everything" or "whatever is on the radio".

While I get what you mean, I can't stand being put on the spot with that sort of question and will generally answer 'a bit of everything' because it's easier than listing 50 great bands spread across 30 disparate genres.

That said, I fully agree that a bland, safe politician going on a radio show about meaningful music and reeling off a list of bland, safe crowdpleasers instead of anything he genuinely loves is predictable and funny.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

master socket
Depending on the age of the socket, the master socket will either have a gas tube lightning arrester in it (and will need replacing, because they gently caress with newer broadband) or will have an NTE5 faceplate that comes off. Extensions won't, so he probably decided on that basis.

forkboy84 posted:

According to the Wiki page, some pianist went on & picked all their own tunes which was probably very honest in the least appealing way possible.
A self stroking pianist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Speaking of tiresome, now you fuckers have talked me into this walking blog thing, I want a bit of feedback.

When I originally set out to do it, I was thinking 45 minutes to an hour of walking, and about half that standing around looking at stuff. Thanks to big scary monsters giving me the idea to make the stops optional and add in detours, the standing around bits have ballooned.

As I said, the trial run is Aldgate to Mile End, because it's an area I know really well and has a *lot* of stuff to talk about, and is also a nice flat 2 miles requiring very minimal navigation. However the problem is now that I've got license to expand the stops/detours that a) there's a lot of road-crossing going on and b) it's going to weigh in at close to 3 hours if you do all of them.

To me at least, that's a bit of a big time investment to ask people to make. The solution I have in mind is to split it in two, going up the north side of the road and down the south side, which also makes a thematic flow very slightly easier (for various reasons most of the lighter stories are on the north side of the road, most of the heavier stuff is on the south) and also gives me a nice big gap to talk about Barbara Windsor (the walking parts are all mostly going to be fairly light trivia and fluff, that was a decision I made fairly early on) but that then means it's a 4-mile walk. Obviously I'm putting in a break point at one end so people can choose to do it in two trips, but:

- Would you prefer keeping it more condensed into a single 2-mile walk, or is 4 miles actually okay?
- How likely would you be, if you preferred a 2-mile walk, to bother returning for the second half?

The doomsday option - and one I'm unlikely to take just because poo poo's getting complex enough as it is - is to actually release an SP and LP version of the walking sections, with all the stops available on both, but then (ego alert!) I'm worried that people who actually just like listening to me talk are gonna end up having to decide which one to take.

e: I've already started planning a whole series, lol, but most of them are going to be much more straightforward with less stops, because there's less to see along the way - the Aldgate-Mile End one is a useful stress test for the concept though

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 15, 2020

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I usually answer "a random bunch of poo poo" because nobody has ever heard of infected mushroom or pertubator or miami nights 1984... But then my music taste is restricted as I can't make design docs and have music on with words as my brain shits itself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mebh posted:

I usually answer "a random bunch of poo poo" because nobody has ever heard of infected mushroom or pertubator or miami nights 1984... But then my music taste is restricted as I can't make design docs and have music on with words as my brain shits itself.

Pertubator is very much my 'I need to actually concentrate on work for an hour instead of browsing forums' jam.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

not politics related (other than landlords upon landlords and privatised utilities), but I'm struggling to work it out by googling things:

I've just moved into a flat and had a guy from openreach come round and try to activate my internet or whatever.

He tested the only (non-virgin media) phone socket in the flat, said it "wasn't connected to anything" and then decided it had actually just been an extension anyway (I have no idea on what basis) and went off looking for a master socket.

He then found some wiring disappearing into the frame of the front door, said it could be phone cable and decided that this had probably been the original entry point for the cable and stuff would need drilling etc. There's nowhere obvious for a socket to have been and no power outlets near it, but the flat had just been redecorated so I thought it was conceivable it had been taken off and the area painted over.

I said I would have to ask for permission from the landlord (and probably the building's landlord), so he said he would pass it back to openreach. When I checked with her re drilling, she said the existing socket was the only one there had been and it was what she had used for internet/phone when she lived in the flat.

I told that to Zen (who openreach had passed it back to), but they don't seem to have actually read my email and have asked me again to confirm that I have permission to drill.

I don't know much about telephony, but I assume the other end of the socket is probably just connected to the actual cabinet in the street? I can't see anywhere in the building where there could be phone connections. The guy never actually went to the cabinet, so I feel like someone could have just disconnected the wire going to my flat at some point. The last tenant was on virgin media so I presume they wouldn't have noticed.

do I just ask them to please make sure it's plugged in or is there something I'm missing?

Depending on when the socket was last used the line itself may have been disconnected as you suspect. You mentioned the previous tenant having Virgin so a year of disuse could have led to disconnection. I'm surprised that Openreach didn't figure that out though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1327953417508163584

Very torn between my hatred for the Mail and its obvious character assassination campaign and defending a property developer and/or landlord.

Bear in mind that he’s bought luxury homes, so he’s hardly exploiting the proletariat. It’s not hard for me to ascertain where my sympathies lie on this one.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

crispix posted:

I think the grownup-newspaper is right and that Marcus Rashfords lad should donate 100% of everything to charity and tramp the country in his bare feet cutting hedges and repairing dry walls for food else he's a big phoney hypocrite :mad:

To be fair, it's aggravating that everybody defending Rashford on Twitter is now defending the idea of property as an "investment". Or the idea that someone with a net worth of over £60 million needs to grow their money lest their family fall into poverty.

Bobby Deluxe is right, he's probably not even considered the evils of landlordism but it's still a shame that someone as good as Rashford still thinks the only "sensible" use of his money is to set up a dynasty of stealing other people's labour.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is he actually renting them out, or did he just buy them and give them to his family to live in?

Very different cases.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I really can’t be doing with people who answer the music question with ‘a bit of everything’. Like, thanks, way to shut down that line of conversation I guess. You can easily say ‘a bit of everything’ then mention what you’ve been listening to recently or something. It’s not snobbish to hate that answer, I honestly just consider it kind of rude. You literally may as well just not answer at all.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

I can't help side-eye the sort of people who answer the question "what music are you into?" with an empty platitude like "oh, a bit of everything" or "whatever is on the radio". This is not necessarily my finest personality trait, I accept that.

My instinctive prejudice is against people claiming their tastes are eclectic, because I think it's self-flattery. Pretty much everyone likes some examples of many styles, it's not proof of your special well-travelled broadmindedness or something. But I try to repress this thought because honestly, what harm does such self-flattery do? I should be glad that people who enjoy Radio 2's entire playlist can feel good about their choices. Musical culture wars are just another way we are encouraged to care about branding and self-image and ego, rather than our collective well-being.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Is he actually renting them out, or did he just buy them and give them to his family to live in?

Very different cases.

The Mail says they will be used as buy-to-let (for what it's worth), Rashford refers to them as in "investment" so I'm inclined to think the former.

Jakabite posted:

I really can’t be doing with people who answer the music question with ‘a bit of everything’. Like, thanks, way to shut down that line of conversation I guess. You can easily say ‘a bit of everything’ then mention what you’ve been listening to recently or something. It’s not snobbish to hate that answer, I honestly just consider it kind of rude. You literally may as well just not answer at all.

What if you're just not into music? I listen to the radio/Spotify playlists but I pay very little attention to song titles or artists. Asking me what music I'm into is like asking me what football team I support, I just don't give a poo poo. Even if you manage to prise an answer out of me, I am definitely trying to shut down the line of conversation because I just don't find it interesting.

jabby fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I see it the other way, people who can answer that question specifically are probably far more serious about their music than I am.

Like I can answer what sort of video games I like much more easily.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jabby posted:

The Mail says they will be used as buy-to-let (for what it's worth), Rashford refers to them as in "investment" so I'm inclined to think the former.

That or flipping, which I guess is better than hoarding.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

might be alone in this but I think we can miss this and other chances to make fun of Keir Starmer for non-political reasons. feels a bit performative, like getting mad at Corbyn for having a scruffy suit or whatever

I would suggest that Starmer may have chosen some of the songs for political reasons rather than aesthetic ones, i.e. signalling that he's comfortable with English patriotism, that he supports the victims of Grenfell

I would also suggest that the reason people say things like "oh, a bit of everything" or "whatever is on the radio" is because answering otherwise tends to lead to an argument or interrogation or outright snobbery from people like yourself. perhaps you are responsible for your own misfortune here?

I'd say it's entirely different to getting mad at Corbyn for being "scruffy" but entirely from a biased position of being incredibly passionate about music (I prefer that to snob) & also am incredibly scruffy in appearance so of course I would.

Of course I do agree with your second line & that's entirely my problem with him. Kidding on you like the football song to show you're proud to be English is insincere & full of poo poo. It's not a big deal but it's one sign among anything that he speaks out of both sides of his mouth. It's like that time Gordon Brown claimed he loved the Arctic Monkeys and had to walk it back. It's just needless & transparent bollocks. Anyway, I entirely agree that me caring about something like this is something I'm aware can rub folk up the wrong way, but I'm fine with that. There's a lot I'd be happy to change about myself if effort wasn't involved, but caring about music too much isn't one of them even if it does cause some minor problems from time to time (absolutely can't stand going to clubs because it just means hearing music I can't stand and 99% of the time means I'm incapable of having fun in that situation). And it's not like I'm saying I'd gulag you for being fine listening to Capital FM in the background or anything.

Anyway, I just found about the best Desert Island Discs. Famous hairdresser Vidal Sassoon went on & wanted a dozen bottles of his own shampoo as his luxury item. Top work.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 15, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ugh.

But, yeah, indoctrination is hard to get over.

Conversely, I hope someone points out to him that the best way for his family to be safe and comfortable is for him to buy them houses and let them live in them for free/give the houses to them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

jabby posted:

What if you're just not into music? I listen to the radio/Spotify playlists but I pay very little attention to song titles or artists. Asking me what music I'm into is like asking me what football team I support, I just don't give a poo poo. Even if you manage to prise an answer out of me, I am definitely trying to shut down the line of conversation because I just don't find it interesting.

Then just say that! I listen to a bit of x y z but to be honest I don’t follow it that much would be fine. A bit of everything leaves this weird ambiguity where no ones sure whether to ask ‘like what?’ or just leave the conversation or what. I dunno, I feel it’s a common enough conversation starter that we should collectively agree that giving ambiguous nothing answers like that can be abolished. Not that I think anyone’s awful for it, but it really kills the flow of a conversation if the person saying it doesn’t follow up with something else , even not music related.

Fwiw I don’t really like talking about music that much either, but conversation is give and take.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jakabite posted:

Then just say that! I listen to a bit of x y z but to be honest I don’t follow it that much would be fine. A bit of everything leaves this weird ambiguity where no ones sure whether to ask ‘like what?’ or just leave the conversation or what. I dunno, I feel it’s a common enough conversation starter that we should collectively agree that giving ambiguous nothing answers like that can be abolished. Not that I think anyone’s awful for it, but it really kills the flow of a conversation if the person saying it doesn’t follow up with something else , even not music related.

Fwiw I don’t really like talking about music that much either, but conversation is give and take.

I think the best solution is for no one to ask questions like this. 'What's your favourite song/band' is a lot better imo as most people have at least one pre-prepared answer to that and don't have to pin themselves down to a genre.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jfc stop Thinking The Daily Heil is arguing in good faith here.

The point they want to make is "if you are so worried about poverty why not give all your money to charity and, most importantly, stop telling the rest of us what to do with our money you jumped up little git".

Sorry if you thought Marcus was Gary Neville reborn, he ain't, not yet. He could be brought round to a socialism but it will need to be done carefully. Not shouting ALAB at him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jabby posted:

I'm not saying you're lying or anything, (& I want to stress this isn't me ragging on you or anyone else (apart from Keith who is fair game) because I really don't think I'm a snob about music. I used to be insufferable about it but have mellowed considerably with age) because intellectually I know people feel like this, so when I say "I struggle to believe this" I mean on an emotional level, because on the list of things that matter to me music is probably somewhere between breathing & drinking/eating. Whereas I'm sure listening to me prattle on about some dumb Washington DC hardcore band from the '80s that split after 1 EP would be as interesting to you as someone talking to me about Eastenders episodes from the summer of 1992. But I am mostly pretty quiet & reserved, but get me talking about music & I just want to go on & on, not just telling you my faves but also hearing about what you dig & why & how you got into it & all that. Literally no other topic gets me going like that.

I suspect it comes across less insufferably in person where you can hear the enthusiasm & sincerity in my voice rather than just in the written word where I suppose it comes off like I'm a twat. Which I probably am but I'd dispute that is the reason why.

stev posted:

I think the best solution is for no one to ask questions like this. 'What's your favourite song/band' is a lot better imo as most people have at least one pre-prepared answer to that and don't have to pin themselves down to a genre.

If you ask me that the odds are I will just break down & cry at the overwhelming task of narrowing it down to one thing. And then just mutter In The Wee Small Hours by Frank Sinatra because for whatever reason it's the first thing to come to mind.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
more like Marcus CASHford

am... am i late? are we still discussing him?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

Depending on the age of the socket, the master socket will either have a gas tube lightning arrester in it (and will need replacing, because they gently caress with newer broadband) or will have an NTE5 faceplate that comes off. Extensions won't, so he probably decided on that basis.

A self stroking pianist.

Yeah, it's an old one and I've just had a look inside and there's nothing that looks like it could be an arrestor, so that's probably it!

Z the IVth posted:

Depending on when the socket was last used the line itself may have been disconnected as you suspect. You mentioned the previous tenant having Virgin so a year of disuse could have led to disconnection. I'm surprised that Openreach didn't figure that out though.

I think that's mostly just down to the order of events. Once you've decided it's not the one you need and there must be another one somewhere, finding something that looks like it could have been one at some point sort of terminates that thought process with "well someones ripped it out and I'm not equipped to put it back in, so there's not much I can do right now"

Anyway, thanks for the replies! I just wanted to make sure I hadn't somehow completely misunderstood how phones work before I asked them to make sure it's plugged in.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

stev posted:

Yeah, I agree. Asking what people have been listening to recently, or something like that, tends to work better. Then even if they do just listen to what’s on the radio they can give a aperitif and we can chat about that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jabby posted:

Holy poo poo, another me

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Yeah, makes sense. To be fair if someone asked me that I probably would say I just wasn't that into music, saying "a bit of everything" is wishy-washy (and also untrue unless you listen to equal parts speed-metal and Gregorian chants).

notaspy posted:

Jfc stop Thinking The Daily Heil is arguing in good faith here.

The point they want to make is "if you are so worried about poverty why not give all your money to charity and, most importantly, stop telling the rest of us what to do with our money you jumped up little git".

Sorry if you thought Marcus was Gary Neville reborn, he ain't, not yet. He could be brought round to a socialism but it will need to be done carefully. Not shouting ALAB at him.

I don't think anyone thinks the Mail is arguing in good faith, but this opinion:

https://twitter.com/reporterboy/status/1327962453603454982

is certainly debatable. Can you be obscenely wealthy and also an anti-poverty campaigner? My instinct is yes, but only up to a point and only if you're willing to campaign for your wealth to be taken away from you. I don't think Rashford giving away his money is any kind of long-term solution to poverty, but in an ideal world he'd be asking the government to tax him (and everyone else in his position) at 90%.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Might be wise to ask them to stop giving all the tax money to their mates before you ask them to take more of it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Might be wise to ask them to stop giving all the tax money to their mates before you ask them to take more of it.

It's like people moaning when footballers wouldn't take a pay cut when the season stopped. How dare they keep their money (that would otherwise go to executives and investors).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

also untrue unless you listen to equal parts speed-metal and Gregorian chants
I'd listen to a mashup of that.

jabby posted:

Can you be obscenely wealthy and also an anti-poverty campaigner? My instinct is yes, but only up to a point and only if you're willing to campaign for your wealth to be taken away from you.
Kropotkin was a prince whose father owned serfs, Engels was the heir of a textiles empire, Wilde was from wealth, and the 2nd Viscount Stansgate was fairly comfortable.

I think you see a different type of socialism between those and the preachers from the gutter though, one that can afford to be more academic and fleshed out, but lacks most of the rawness.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Nah, do both at the same time otherwise you get into a never-ending argument about how we can't raise taxes until we eliminate government waste and inefficiency. Which I suspect is how Labour's next manifesto is going to go. We'll provide better services AND keep taxes the same with CoMpeTeNt gOvErNmEnT!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mebh posted:

Converting Vegetarians would be on my album list but maybe not single track list.

Anyone who doesn't devolve into a 40 minute internal discussion on Dark Side Vs Wish You Were Here when asked about their favourite music isn't a real person.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Guavanaut posted:

I'd listen to a mashup of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyT0B7rKPQ

Ask and ye shall receive, It's not half bad too!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

Nah, do both at the same time otherwise you get into a never-ending argument about how we can't raise taxes until we eliminate government waste and inefficiency. Which I suspect is how Labour's next manifesto is going to go. We'll provide better services AND keep taxes the same with CoMpeTeNt gOvErNmEnT!

Perhaps, but when he's most known recently for being unable to get the government to spend even the smallest amount of money to feed starving children entirely on principle that they don't want to do it, it seems a bit weird for him to suddenly pivot to higher taxes for apparently the sake of it, given the government's aforementioned unwillingness to spend money to help people on principle.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

stev posted:

Pertubator is very much my 'I need to actually concentrate on work for an hour instead of browsing forums' jam.

Speaking of this, anyone got any other similar stompy, few/no lyrics music for getting on with work to?

Always on the look out for more decent white noise substitutes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ vido gam soundtracks. I am currently a big fan of the various Destiny OSTs. Aphex Twin and Philip Glass are also good.

Some stuff from Warframe is good, like 'Ghosts of Void'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4U-y0JVUuw

Guavanaut posted:

Stopped reading at "cash-strapped Treasury", like why do they keep buying into the rhetoric that they can't just issue a bunch of bonded debt to build things that generate revenue that are kept in public hands which can pay off the debt while also creating jobs that put money into the economy which also generates public revenue?
Because that's complicated, you'll never turn it into a 3 word slogan.

therattle posted:

Bear in mind that he’s bought luxury homes, so he’s hardly exploiting the proletariat. It’s not hard for me to ascertain where my sympathies lie on this one.
Looking at that photo, just lol at the state of Britain when that piece of poo poo is considered 'luxury.'

Also 2m÷5=400k, which is coming up on about average per house for outer London isn't it?

stev posted:

That or flipping, which I guess is better than hoarding.
Not really, since it involves taking affordable stock, turning it into less affordable stock (which is usually sold on as buy-to-let), and pocketing the cash. It's a cornerstone of gentrification.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of tiresome, now you fuckers have talked me into this walking blog thing, I want a bit of feedback.

When I originally set out to do it, I was thinking 45 minutes to an hour of walking, and about half that standing around looking at stuff. Thanks to big scary monsters giving me the idea to make the stops optional and add in detours, the standing around bits have ballooned.

As I said, the trial run is Aldgate to Mile End, because it's an area I know really well and has a *lot* of stuff to talk about, and is also a nice flat 2 miles requiring very minimal navigation. However the problem is now that I've got license to expand the stops/detours that a) there's a lot of road-crossing going on and b) it's going to weigh in at close to 3 hours if you do all of them.

To me at least, that's a bit of a big time investment to ask people to make. The solution I have in mind is to split it in two, going up the north side of the road and down the south side, which also makes a thematic flow very slightly easier (for various reasons most of the lighter stories are on the north side of the road, most of the heavier stuff is on the south) and also gives me a nice big gap to talk about Barbara Windsor (the walking parts are all mostly going to be fairly light trivia and fluff, that was a decision I made fairly early on) but that then means it's a 4-mile walk. Obviously I'm putting in a break point at one end so people can choose to do it in two trips, but:

- Would you prefer keeping it more condensed into a single 2-mile walk, or is 4 miles actually okay?
- How likely would you be, if you preferred a 2-mile walk, to bother returning for the second half?

The doomsday option - and one I'm unlikely to take just because poo poo's getting complex enough as it is - is to actually release an SP and LP version of the walking sections, with all the stops available on both, but then (ego alert!) I'm worried that people who actually just like listening to me talk are gonna end up having to decide which one to take.

e: I've already started planning a whole series, lol, but most of them are going to be much more straightforward with less stops, because there's less to see along the way - the Aldgate-Mile End one is a useful stress test for the concept though

It depends really. If I'm in the area for a while I might split it up over a few days, but a 4 mile walk is a bit much sometimes. I might split it into before and after lunch kinda thing if it's interesting, you know? So for me, ideally it would be 2 separate sections, where the end of the first one has some recommendations of good places to eat before the second one. If the food is good I'd be more inclined to do the 2nd half as well, I think, if I was wavering, even if it's not on that day. I think you're also right about the time commitment being a bit much for a one day.

I'm not sure about going down and up one side of the street for the 2 separate sections, unless the street is very long or it would require A LOT of road crossing. Just saying 'and if you look across the street you can see...' can sometimes work as well. I'd be more inclined to come back for a 2nd part if it was a different area and not one I already walked through, I think, unless it was REALLY interesting.