Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know Im probably late to the party but the new dpad is so good. Its the dpad Ive wanted for 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Barudak posted:

I know Im probably late to the party but the new dpad is so good. Its the dpad Ive wanted for 20 years

Yeah it's great, feels so much better playing Tetris with it. Overall the controller has a more solid weighty feel to it and the haptics feel more refined. I'm not sure about the texture on it though, feels a little too rough to me, like it's way grippier but feels like sandpaper.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

The few times I've had to use it it's been awesome. Feels great and is impeccably precise.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Stupid question time. Dark Souls 2 SotFS is still going to run at 1080p on my series x, right? It’s not going to upscale it or anything?

Yea the new d pad is the best I have ever run into. It’s a real nice controller.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I’m confused I bought the Xbox Series X version of ASsValhalla (target digital code) and it only downloaded a 47 gb...there is no way the game is that small for the Series X is it?

Edit: My owned games list AssVah with an XS logo in the corner...so I’m just really confused now.

Edit 2: Deleted it and am reloading it now, different size, but not by much (although I know the space needed is pretty close between versions and not like Call of Duty.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 15, 2020

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I’m confused I bought the Xbox Series X version of ASsValhalla (target digital code) and it only downloaded a 47 gb...there is no way the game is that small for the Series X is it?

Edit: My owned games list AssVah with an XS logo in the corner...so I’m just really confused now.

I bought the physical version, with the series X logo on it, it installed 1gb off the disc and downloaded 46gb. So that’s all the bigger it is.

I bought the physical version specifically because I have slow rear end internet and didn’t want to wait two days on it to download. I still had to wait two days to download it and I have to swap in the physical disc still.

If that’s how physical media is going to work this generation I’m just going to buy everything digitally.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its probably how it will work until Series exclusive discs get made/more widespread because right now the disc is the Bone version

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LordOfThePants posted:

I bought the physical version, with the series X logo on it, it installed 1gb off the disc and downloaded 46gb. So that’s all the bigger it is.

I bought the physical version specifically because I have slow rear end internet and didn’t want to wait two days on it to download. I still had to wait two days to download it and I have to swap in the physical disc still.

If that’s how physical media is going to work this generation I’m just going to buy everything digitally.

I passed up on the Target 2 for 3 sale specifically because it didn’t count digital code card purchases. I have no desire to deal disc checks. Especially for games played by my young children who like switching between games a lot. That’s a recipe for a stroke.

That said looking at my full games list I found a splinter caller and two Sam and Max games I must have bought back nearly a decade ago.

That was pretty cool.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 15, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Its probably how it will work until Series exclusive discs get made/more widespread because right now the disc is the Bone version

I think NBA 2K21 is the only game with a Series X specific disc (and I’m not sure how COD Cold War works with its two separate disc releases either). It seems like everything cross-gen is just going to have the XB1 version on disc with no real Series X content on the disc, though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Yeah the issue for publishers is they could make 2 whole skus ooooor just make one disc and 2 inserts and scrape an extra % or two for their margins

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah the issue for publishers is they could make 2 whole skus ooooor just make one disc and 2 inserts and scrape an extra % or two for their margins

They're gonna charge 10 more bucks for the native Series versions and chalk it up to increased data on disc

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

check your power options, if you have the console turn off completely when you shut it down I don't believe it can quick resume.

It’ll work even if you unplug the console. It’s more likely that it’s one of the titles where MS turned it off. I do wish there was a list somewhere so we weren’t guessing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish you could lock the display settings in place, as just like my Bone S my Series S seems to decide at some points that it isn’t connected to a UHD HDR capable display and just shits out 1080p SDR instead. A frustrating sequence of rebooting everything in my signal chain then has to commence.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Can somebody test streaming Gears Tactics (free on Game Pass) to their phone via the Xbox app? I'm having a weird input problem where the left stick is unable to control the cursor in a fight, rendering the game completely unplayable. It's weird because it works just fine in menus and stuff. It's pretty disappointing since a turn-based game like this would be perfect for streaming, where the quality is unreliable and latency can be an issue.

Not sure if the specifics matter, but I'm playing on a Series S and streaming to a Pixel 4

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Chasiubao posted:

It’ll work even if you unplug the console. It’s more likely that it’s one of the titles where MS turned it off. I do wish there was a list somewhere so we weren’t guessing.

Yeah, I hope they bring a list to the home menu that will list your current quick resume games and let you ‘pin’ one or two of them to prevent the system from deleting them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

Yeah it's very very good

I hated Xbox controllers for years partially because the dpad sucked and I used to play a lot of fighting games. I've been using this one for Tetris and Tekken and it just feels great.

However I cannot get over the button prompts. Yakuza wants me to press the Blue X, which 4 gens of Playstation taught me is on the bottom, and Nintendo has taught me is on the top (Which already took getting used to). But this one is on the left.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Jedi Fallen Order is just an insanely buggy game. I played it on PS4 Pro last year and it was easily one of the most unfinished games I've played this gen. I thought it was awful tbh

Almost certain EA stuff is a separate sub on PC

So I played Jedi last year on my PC and had zero problems. Played it yesterday on the XSX and same experience. I'm also playing through Valhalla right now and have had no problems on XSX but if you go on reddit it feels like it is a super buggy terrible game if the commenter is playing it on a last gen console. I think the performance issues on those weaker consoles are causing most bugs people are experiencing in these late gen games. They're clearly not up to the task of playing recently released titles anymore even if they technically will run.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm not gonna ask how but for my birthday some friends got me 3 years of Gamepass that according to them was about $100

Is this actually possible? I think I'm never buying an xbox game again

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm not gonna ask how but for my birthday some friends got me 3 years of Gamepass that according to them was about $100

Is this actually possible? I think I'm never buying an xbox game again

Yeah, you take cheaply acquired xbox gold (say, in brazil) and convert it to gamepass in a lump sum. Enjoy

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

Yeah, you take cheaply acquired xbox gold (say, in brazil) and convert it to gamepass in a lump sum. Enjoy

Wow that honestly makes getting an xbox for only gamepass and nothing else not a bad deal?

Edit: Unless in like a year's time they introduce new Gamepass UltraPlus and you have to convert again, or if they suddenly drop every non-MS game from the platform

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microsoft would love that, yes. Hell, you don't even need to buy the console as long as you're ok streaming to your phone.

I think at some point they'll just raise the prices but for right now it apparently makes money and is attracting subscribers like fuckin crazy so I don't think you've any reason near term to worry

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Jedi fallen order is a bad game even when it works. If you enjoy tired, AAA gaming tropes like squeezing through narrow passages and climbing obvious things as some sort of perfunctory and boring traversal system combined with an extremely poorly executed and awful souls rip-off save system then the game may still not even be for you because it is boring and bad.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dpulex posted:

Jedi fallen order is a bad game even when it works. If you enjoy tired, AAA gaming tropes like squeezing through narrow passages and climbing obvious things as some sort of perfunctory and boring traversal system combined with an extremely poorly executed and awful souls rip-off save system then the game may still not even be for you because it is boring and bad.

I've been having a lot more fun with it than I initially thought I would. Some of the mechanics can be frustrating at times, like rope jumps, but overall I'm liking the exploration and story. The worst part imo is the obvious optimization on last gen (can we say that now?) platforms. I would have loved to play this on my PC, but I would have to wait until EA Play comes to PC gamepass.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow that honestly makes getting an xbox for only gamepass and nothing else not a bad deal?

Edit: Unless in like a year's time they introduce new Gamepass UltraPlus and you have to convert again, or if they suddenly drop every non-MS game from the platform

This is literally what I just did with an Xbone. Got it cheap off Facebook marketplace, converted a gold sub and I’m good to go

I guess my only question at this point is, as the rules stand today, when my ultimate sub runs out can I convert more gold sub to ultimate or is that a one-time thing?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is literally what I just did with an Xbone. Got it cheap off Facebook marketplace, converted a gold sub and I’m good to go

I guess my only question at this point is, as the rules stand today, when my ultimate sub runs out can I convert more gold sub to ultimate or is that a one-time thing?

As of now, yes you can. But there's no guarantee that's still the case a few years down the line.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Yeah it's very very good

I hated Xbox controllers for years partially because the dpad sucked and I used to play a lot of fighting games. I've been using this one for Tetris and Tekken and it just feels great.

I play a few fighting games. The new pad is nice but honestly just do yourself a favor and buy a Hori Commander fight pad for 30-40 dollars. Its way better than the base xbox (or PS) controller.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah ever since they ditched that stupid rotating dpad on the old ones its been perfect.
gently caress that thing. Always came loose on me

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I also say how much I love the textured grips. They feel fantastic. Thank you nerdy gun person who also worked on the Xbox.

Soulman
Apr 15, 2003

404notfound posted:

Can somebody test streaming Gears Tactics (free on Game Pass) to their phone via the Xbox app? I'm having a weird input problem where the left stick is unable to control the cursor in a fight, rendering the game completely unplayable. It's weird because it works just fine in menus and stuff. It's pretty disappointing since a turn-based game like this would be perfect for streaming, where the quality is unreliable and latency can be an issue.

Not sure if the specifics matter, but I'm playing on a Series S and streaming to a Pixel 4

I’ve got the same issue. Not had any problems with other games, even Forza works pretty well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

404notfound posted:

Are you using a controller or touchscreen controls?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So my interent went down for a few hours today and I found I was unable to play anything on my XSX. The error kept telling me to set this xbox as my home console when I went back online but it is set as my home console already (it's the only Xbox I've ever had so definitely not set to anything else). Setting it to offline in the network options also didn't make it work.

I'm kind of disappointed that this is even a thing? Why is it necessary to lock you out of every single game you own (even singleplayer only) because your internet went down? The Xbox was on and connected before it happened so it's not like I coldbooted it and it didn't know I should have had access to everything.

For Assassins Creed Valhalla I was able to boot it to the main menu a few times before it gave me the error and sometimes it would just tell me immediately from the home screen.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

So my interent went down for a few hours today and I found I was unable to play anything on my XSX. The error kept telling me to set this xbox as my home console when I went back online but it is set as my home console already (it's the only Xbox I've ever had so definitely not set to anything else). Setting it to offline in the network options also didn't make it work.

I'm kind of disappointed that this is even a thing? Why is it necessary to lock you out of every single game you own (even singleplayer only) because your internet went down? The Xbox was on and connected before it happened so it's not like I coldbooted it and it didn't know I should have had access to everything.

For Assassins Creed Valhalla I was able to boot it to the main menu a few times before it gave me the error and sometimes it would just tell me immediately from the home screen.
You have to set it as your home console from the account part of the console settings, it doesn't set that by default I don't think.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Thom12255 posted:

Settings > General > Personalization > My Home Xbox

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I've confirmed it was already set as my Home Xbox. If I go into that settings menu it just gives me the option to remove it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Akuma posted:

You have to set it as your home console from the account part of the console settings, it doesn't set that by default I don't think.

yeah, this is true on the PS5 as well (though I don't know if it locks you out of the games the same way). you have to link your account to the console more than just signing in to it, I assume so it doesn't just make any random console your home console every time you sign in to it (such as at a friend's)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

I've confirmed it was already set as my Home Xbox. If I go into that settings menu it just gives me the option to remove it.
Ohhh okay, sorry, sounded like you were just assuming it was. That sucks :(

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Okay. So I went a removed my console as my home console and then re-added it and used up one of my tries for the year but now when I put my console offline I am able to access all my games no problem. It must have just been a software glitch. Microsoft's info does say that the first time you set up and sign into a console it automatically makes it your home console and that must of been where something got messed up in the backend. Re-doing it manually has fixed it. Though from what I'm reading online, this still only works if you are online and put your console into offline mode. If you just lose internet like I did earlier I don't know if I'll be able to continue to play games or not on this yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So on the PS5 I can put the console in to rest mode from a menu.

Is there no way to do it on the X? I just see turn of the controller off or turn the console off?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Is there no way to do it on the X? I just see turn of the controller off or turn the console off?

Turn off puts it in rest mode. Well, so long as it’s set in the settings menu to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

Turning the console off is rest mode. If you want to completely shut down it's in the power tab of the settings menu.