Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Not necessarily because 16 GB sticks are usually dual rank.

"But it's probably not the number of sticks that's important, it's the number of ranks"

I saw that, but also saw that it's hard to tell what rank any given stick is. I trust you though, sean, even if you won't let me give you recompense for your tireless efforts :justpost:ing in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Samadhi posted:

I saw that, but also saw that it's hard to tell what rank any given stick is. I trust you though, sean, even if you won't let me give you recompense for your tireless efforts :justpost:ing in this thread

I won't?

I must have missed an important post or something :haw:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

I won't?

I must have missed an important post or something :haw:

In TFF in the NFL Hot Seat Thread.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I just checked the Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 2x16gb kit I have and it's dual rank micron e die, in case anybody is looking for a kit with those parameters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

I miss living near a Micro Center so much :( Does anyone know if there is a comparable store in the Bay Area?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

vanilla slimfast posted:

Following up on this. Last week, I ended up pulling the trigger on everything but the CPU and GPU based on some deals that were available. I was convinced to move up from mATX to regular ATX when I realized the case size difference was only about 1" - I ended up getting the red version of the RAM as it had a higher discount on newegg. It isn't currently listed in PCPP but otherwise it is identical. The CPU cooler is technically out of stock but Amazon says it is still getting delivered wednesday and it was only $10 than the ugly brown version.

After getting lucky scoring an RTX 3070 off a Newegg drop in October, and being able to waltz down to Micro Center and get a 5800x on Zen3 launch day, I was able to finish sourcing all my parts. I completed the build last weekend and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. The machine has handled everything I've thrown at it so far, but admittedly I haven't had a whole lot of free time to really do a lot with it yet.

Working in the Meshify case was a joy, honestly. It's such a far cry from the cases I used to work with in the long-long ago where cable management was non-existent. It looks clean, and I was able to fit the second Noctua cooler on top of the RAM and still close the tempered glass side panel.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/s8Xv6h

I love the way it looks mounted underneath my sit/stand desk

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

vanilla slimfast posted:

After getting lucky scoring an RTX 3070 off a Newegg drop in October, and being able to waltz down to Micro Center and get a 5800x on Zen3 launch day, I was able to finish sourcing all my parts. I completed the build last weekend and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. The machine has handled everything I've thrown at it so far, but admittedly I haven't had a whole lot of free time to really do a lot with it yet.

Working in the Meshify case was a joy, honestly. It's such a far cry from the cases I used to work with in the long-long ago where cable management was non-existent. It looks clean, and I was able to fit the second Noctua cooler on top of the RAM and still close the tempered glass side panel.

Neat setup. What are you using to mount it to your desk like that? I'd like to get a sit/stand desk eventually and this seems like a decent way to do it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Interesting note: Puget systems is now recommending 5800x (and 3200mhz ram) for its photoshop artist and maya animator builds.

Apparently this is due to 5800x having a slightly higher base clock speed than the 5900x. In photoshop's case, it actually outperforms the 5900x due to that impacting single threading slightly.

I was looking at getting a 5000 series cpu to upgrade in the near future and it's great to know that in spite of lower core count, I'll be well off with the $450 5800x vs the $550 5900x.

After I upgrade, the 3900x I'll likely be eventually throwing into a reasonably portable build that I'll be able to bring to classes or on travel trips. (And it will also moonlight as a render box for big projects.)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Neat setup. What are you using to mount it to your desk like that? I'd like to get a sit/stand desk eventually and this seems like a decent way to do it.

It’s this mount from Monoprice. They have models with rigid arms as well, but this was the only one that could accommodate the Meshify C’s width.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34540

I spent more time figuring out the orientation of the mounts and straps than I did actually mounting it

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

vanilla slimfast posted:

Nice. I definitely recommend the noctua heatsink covers for the DH-15 by the way. They look really nice.

https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/heatsink-covers

Also, the 'red with black' kit actually comes with a swappable inlay color strip with different color strip options.

And here's about what your system would look like with the same meshify c case and gray case fans, but with black chromax covers:

Here's how mine with the meshify c white turned out after I initially assembled it. (Before I got to cable management and added the chromax front fans.)

The thing looks fantastically professional sitting on my desk while I get work done. I might make some additional aesthetic tweaks later on like LED strips to light the interior or swap in a zebra striped cable for the thermaltake power supply.

Also - what under-desk sling are you using. I've been interested in possibly getting one of those to free up desk surface space.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Nice. I definitely recommend the noctua heatsink covers for the DH-15 by the way. They look really nice.

https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/heatsink-covers

Also, the 'red with black' kit actually comes with a swappable inlay color strip with different color strip options.

And here's about what your system would look like with the same meshify c case and gray case fans, but with black chromax covers:

Here's how mine with the meshify c white turned out after I initially assembled it. (Before I got to cable management and added the chromax front fans.)

The thing looks fantastically professional sitting on my desk while I get work done. I might make some additional aesthetic tweaks later on like LED strips to light the interior or swap in a zebra striped cable for the thermaltake power supply.

Also - what under-desk sling are you using. I've been interested in possibly getting one of those to free up desk surface space.

Your build looks great with the covers! Might have to pick some of them up to match the color of the RTX Vision in my build for a bit more uniformity.

The under-desk mount is this one from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34540

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Dumb question, but a friend wants me to build an inexpensive work from home PC for her. Is an AMD APU sufficient? I'm not used to building non gaming computers so I assume that and a decent SSD should be good

Edit: I don't have a budget yet, I'm just gathering ideas

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

vanilla slimfast posted:

this is the one and only reason that I regret getting an NR200: it exhausts out the back and top and doesn't have a front grill for intake. pretty sure there's no way I could mount my PC like this and still have any airflow :(

instead I keep it on the floor, and because it's a mini ITX case, I actually had to loving sit it on a box so the cables out the back would reach all the way up to my desk in standing mode, gah. not to mention that i am using a random side table i found on the street a while ago to put my power strip on :shepface:

these are the things people don't warn you about when you get these converting desks, and you quickly realize why standing desk manufacturers are able to get away with selling cable management trays for like $60

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 15, 2020

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Dumb question, but a friend wants me to build an inexpensive work from home PC for her. Is an AMD APU sufficient? I'm not used to building non gaming computers so I assume that and a decent SSD should be good

Edit: I don't have a budget yet, I'm just gathering ideas

First question should be - what software are they using and what is their workload like.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Spacedad posted:

First question should be - what software are they using and what is their workload like.

Call center stuff. So I assume not power intensive

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Best bet for an office PC is usually a used office PC. You can get a full system with a Haswell or skylake for a couple hundred bucks, slap in an SSD and you're good to go.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Some Goon posted:

Best bet for an office PC is usually a used office PC. You can get a full system with a Haswell or skylake for a couple hundred bucks, slap in an SSD and you're good to go.

I might go that route, thanks

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I might go that route, thanks

Yeah used Dell Optiplex off Ebay is not a bad route at all.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wow. I was...not the only one thinking to buy a Ryzen 5 3600 around this time. One of Newegg's Shell Shocker deals tomorrow is going to be for the Ryzen 5 3600X. Maybe I'll go for that if it's close enough to $200.

Also, is there any advantage to using Radeon video card with a Radeon processor, or does it not really matter much? I have my eye on a GeForce 1660 Super/Ti; but would a Radeon 5600 XT be better, or the same if I used a Radeon processor?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Catalina posted:

Wow. I was...not the only one thinking to buy a Ryzen 5 3600 around this time. One of Newegg's Shell Shocker deals tomorrow is going to be for the Ryzen 5 3600X. Maybe I'll go for that if it's close enough to $200.

Also, is there any advantage to using Radeon video card with a Radeon processor, or does it not really matter much? I have my eye on a GeForce 1660 Super/Ti; but would a Radeon 5600 XT be better, or the same if I used a Radeon processor?

No, doesn't matter at all. AMD has promised a boost with Zen3, X570 and a Radeon card, but it turns out it's just part of the PCIe spec, so...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

change my name posted:

Lmao, Ryzen 5 3600s are up to about $250 each and even the "modest" AMD gaming build on the front page of PCpartpicker, shown configured for $780, now costs $1030 if you actually click on the part list. What the heck is going on? Manufacturing shortages?

I only managed to get a 3600 locally after 1.5 months since it's release, while the 3300X was constantly going in and out of availability all it's entire life even if it was a subpar chip versus the 3600 to begin with.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is probably the final build I will be going with. What I wanted to see is if anyone who is more experienced with builds thinks that I will need to add additional case fans besides the cooler and the fans that are already in the case. I believe some have mentioned reports that the 5600X runs hotter but I'm not sure.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon) (x2)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($122.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $491.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-15 19:28 EST-0500

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Some Goon posted:

No, doesn't matter at all. AMD has promised a boost with Zen3, X570 and a Radeon card, but it turns out it's just part of the PCIe spec, so...

Thank you very much! That what I assumed, based on what I had read, but it’s nice to have it confirmed.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I currently have a Z270 motherboard and an i5-7600k. What is the most sensible upgrade for my cpu?

A while back I bought a microcenter Powerspec G314. I've piecemeal upgraded the graphics card to a 2070Super, upgraded the ram to 32gb, and upgraded the power supply to 750W.

Is something like an i9-9900k worth it? I know I'd have to replace my MB too, so I was thinking something like this, but not sure. I haven't kept up with CPUs in a while.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($379.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($177.69 @ Amazon)
Total: $592.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-15 20:54 EST-0500

e: posted from my phone with lots of errors
e2: Can get the CPU/MB bundle a lot cheaper at my local Microcenter https://www.microcenter.com/product/5003849/-intel-core-i9-9900k,-asus-z390-a-prime,-cpu---motherboard-bundle

Chaitai fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 16, 2020

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
OK took some of your thoughts under advisement, and here we are. I want a big case because after growing up with cramped desktops and minitowers, I fell in love with the notion of just having room. Also I neglected to share that I'm running a half dozen hard drives of varying types and sizes, which raises both PSU and space requirements.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($148.66 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GAMING X Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cougar PANZER EVO RGB ATX Full Tower Case ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1216.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-15 21:41 EST-0500

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Golbez posted:

OK took some of your thoughts under advisement, and here we are. I want a big case because after growing up with cramped desktops and minitowers, I fell in love with the notion of just having room. Also I neglected to share that I'm running a half dozen hard drives of varying types and sizes, which raises both PSU and space requirements.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($148.66 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GAMING X Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cougar PANZER EVO RGB ATX Full Tower Case ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1216.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-15 21:41 EST-0500

Samsung drives are overpriced and their edge is really only useful if you are transferring massive files constantly. The WD SN550 or SN750 will save you 30-50 bucks.

I'd consider taking that and putting it towards a 750W or 850W PSU so you can leave yourself room to upgrade to a 3070 or 3080 next year! That, or since you have a nice, full tower case: get a bigger cooler like the NH-U14S which will be quieter and keep your CPU closer to ambient (this would probably make it less portable, however).

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Golbez posted:

This was me in 2008. I have big hands so I wanted a big case that was easy to build and tinker in, so I bought a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. I think at the time it was also one of the top cases for airflow.

I loved it at the time, but after moving a few times I realized it was way too big and way too heavy. It wouldn't fit under my desk and could never be tucked up against a wall neatly.

I finally got fed up enough and downsized to a mid and I couldn't be happier.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Is it safe to assume that anything on the memory QVL for Ryzen 3000 will work just as well for Ryzen 5000? Neither memory nor motherboard manufacturers have updated their lists for Ryzen 5000 yet for the models I'm interested in and I need to make a decision soon.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Senjuro posted:

Is it safe to assume that anything on the memory QVL for Ryzen 3000 will work just as well for Ryzen 5000? Neither memory nor motherboard manufacturers have updated their lists for Ryzen 5000 yet for the models I'm interested in and I need to make a decision soon.

They've said it's the exact same memory controller so yes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I think I messed up by only installing a 512gb M.2 harddrive in my new PC (I'm coming from an ultrabook and didn't realize how large modern games actually are). Is the standard to just buy another 2.5" SSD and toss it in the case for files I don't actively use all the time? None of my SATA ports are occupied yet.

Edit: should note that my motherboard only has one M.2 port

change my name fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 16, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

change my name posted:

So I think I messed up by only installing a 512gb S.2 harddrive in my new PC (I'm coming from an ultrabook and didn't realize how large modern games actually are). Is the standard to just buy another 2.5" SSD and toss it in the case for files I don't actively use all the time? None of my SATA ports are occupied yet.

I think most people in the thread would recommend just using NVMe drives, two if you need the space. I am a crazy person who wanted a huge space for media files so I got a platter drive and an optical drive for my build. Most people here will think that is insane, but a big sata SSD is a good middle ground.

Black Friday is coming up and drives are pretty cheap, WD has green drives for <$100USD per TB if you want to scrape the budget floor.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

change my name posted:

So I think I messed up by only installing a 512gb S.2 harddrive in my new PC (I'm coming from an ultrabook and didn't realize how large modern games actually are). Is the standard to just buy another 2.5" SSD and toss it in the case for files I don't actively use all the time? None of my SATA ports are occupied yet.

Yeah thats a fine approach. Some motherboards disable some sata ports when some M.2 slots are in use so check your manual for that and don't plug it into those ports if so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I think the WD550 is like $94 right now

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Even the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB is $100 today, everywhere:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14557145-1tb-samsung-860-evo-2-5-sata-iii-internal-solid-state-100-free-shipping

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

:popeye:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Not gonna lie, wife and I both have samsung M.2 Drives.

They got a really good name for themselves back when SSDs first came out for being reliable when some companies were absolutely not. (OCZ)

Lotta people are blindly buying them without considering anything else so the price will ride high until the general consumer feeling changes and more options get respect.

edit: I don't remember what I paid but I was happy with the price. Prices have gone down so much for fast storage a lot of people are just super happy to no longer be paying 1$ per gig.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 16, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spunkshui posted:

Not gonna lie, wife and I both have samsung M.2 Drives.

They got a really good name for themselves back when SSDs first came out for being reliable when some companies were absolutely not. (OCZ)

Lotta people are blindly buying them without considering anything else so the price will ride high until the general consumer feeling changes and more options get respect.

edit: I don't remember what I paid but I was happy with the price. Prices have gone down so much for fast storage a lot of people are just super happy to no longer be paying 1$ per gig.

Yeah I have a half a dozen samsung disks, but almost as many crucials and a small handful of Intel, Sandisk, ADATA, Team individual drives. I don't pay the premium any more but the sale price for today is about what normal pricing should be so it seems pretty fair.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cool, thanks all! I have the WD550 installed already (just, as mentioned, the small size), so I'll try to pick up that extra TB

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Lol, gently caress. My Ryzen 5 3600X gets here Wednesday and it requires a signature, while today I just found out that I need to be quaranting because a member of my household was in contact with a person with a confirmed Coronavirus case, and needs to be tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Catalina posted:

Lol, gently caress. My Ryzen 5 3600X gets here Wednesday and it requires a signature, while today I just found out that I need to be quaranting because a member of my household was in contact with a person with a confirmed Coronavirus case, and needs to be tested.

Doesn't that mean you will be home to sign for it?