Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sab669 posted:

^ugh, yea, I want more Nightblood/Szeth/Vasher stuff too

Can’t wait for Szeth’s reaction when Vasher yeets nightblood off a top floor of Urithiru into an invading army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

^ugh, yea, I want more Nightblood/Szeth/Vasher stuff too

lol i love how vasher, as a Cool Anime Badass, knows more than everyone else but just cannot be bothered to tell anyone or help, even though he's hanging out in the same place with our heroes for years

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

We don't have any clue what his motives are at all, do we?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sab669 posted:

We don't have any clue what his motives are at all, do we?

All we know from WoBs is that he made the jump to Roshar so he would have a reliable source of regular Investiture instead of having to consume to Breaths from regular people.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leng posted:

All we know from WoBs is that he made the jump to Roshar so he would have a reliable source of regular Investiture instead of having to consume to Breaths from regular people.

I really want a scene of him standing in a high storm, showing how he absorbs stormlight, and what Heightening he's actually sitting at now on Roshar if he's able to freely draw from the passing Highstorms or if he only absorbs it from gemstones. I also want to see him encounter Chiri Chiri. Because its ability to eat stormlight likely applies to Investiture in general and so it'd be extremely dangerous to a Returned.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Part 1 of Well of Ascension done.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooy does this novel start out slow.

I feel like the novel kind of suffers from everyone being scattered at the start. We're only given little tastes of each person's story. I assume Marsh and Sazed are going to undercover the "true threat" of the story, but we've only had such limited time with them and in the meantime it just feels like the story is spinning its wheels.

Part 1 ends with the reveal that a Kandra has infiltrated their group and very likely one of their band is actually dead (I swear to god if it is Ham, I will loving fight someone). Hopefully this goes somewhere because right now I kind of find Kandra to be boring. I mean, in concept they are cool, but OreSeur is basically a personality-void and personality-void characters are not interesting characters. I'm sure there's an interset

While, I'm not necessarily going to be upset if the threat of Straf's army is present until the end of the book, I'd still rather that gets dealt with sooner rather than later so we can move on to more interesting things.

All-in-all, I don't really have much to say beyond that as there really isn't too much to talk about. There's a bunch of little details out there - the Watcher, the parliament's obstructionism, the brewings of class warfare, the mist shadows. But each one has only been given such little time that I don't really have much opinion.

The Watcher is just Shadow Kelsier, isn't he? Getting "Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones" vibes.

I also dislike how extra paranoid Vin is now. She was so strong and bold at the end of The Last Empire and she starts this one being so paranoid about anything bad happening. She's still strong and does cool poo poo, but she feels more brooding than she did at the end of book 1.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If I recall correctly, Sanderson had no idea if the Mistborn sequels would be picked up, so Mistborn was written as more of a standalone novel. So WoA spends a lot of time expanding the scene, so to speak.

It’s definitely one of my least favorite novels that he’s written, but Hero of Ages is a nice payoff afterwards.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

WoA also has a very cool ending

especially vin, straff, and the koloss sword

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not a RoW prediction, just a wish:

Zahel/Vasher better let fuckin' loose. It would be a stretch for him to have a surprise automaton army lying around, but he's a goddamn mad scientist and I'll be disappointed if all he has to offer is swordsmanship and ad hoc awakenings. I am hopeful he eventually helps Navani figure out the tower. He also needs a reunion with Nightblood so he can teach Szeth the ultimate technique of THROW SWORD AT BAD GUY MOB AND WAIT FOR RESULTS.

I'm pretty sure he's figured out how to turn stormlight into Breaths, so even the knowledge that you can do it would be a big deal if it got out. How to do it would be even bigger. Though a hilarious reveal of Rysn having a Dawnshard would be that Vasher's clothes aren't really just one color, but he has like a word worked into them in various hues to catch people with Heightenings that get near him..

And that's a perfectly valid technique, dude doesn't want to kill anymore and Nightblood has no crazy effects on good poeple, so it's their own fault if they get killed picking it up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

seaborgium posted:

I'm pretty sure he's figured out how to turn stormlight into Breaths, so even the knowledge that you can do it would be a big deal if it got out. How to do it would be even bigger. Though a hilarious reveal of Rysn having a Dawnshard would be that Vasher's clothes aren't really just one color, but he has like a word worked into them in various hues to catch people with Heightenings that get near him..

And that's a perfectly valid technique, dude doesn't want to kill anymore and Nightblood has no crazy effects on good poeple, so it's their own fault if they get killed picking it up.

I should be clear that these hopes stem from not only this particular character in this particular multiworld fantasy series, but from the fact that Vasher is the most Malazan character in all of the Cosmere (even more than Hoid IMO), and Sanderson writes payoff stories in a much more fulfilling way than Erikson ever will. And while the denial of payoff is part of the charm of Malazan, it's still nice to be able to get it elsewhere.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Can’t wait for Szeth’s reaction when Vasher yeets nightblood off a top floor of Urithiru into an invading army.

I lol'd at this thanks

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv This guy gets it

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 13, 2020

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Zahel/Vasher better let fuckin' loose. It would be a stretch for him to have a surprise automaton army lying around, but he's a goddamn mad scientist and I'll be disappointed if all he has to offer is swordsmanship and ad hoc awakenings. I am hopeful he eventually helps Navani figure out the tower. He also needs a reunion with Nightblood so he can teach Szeth the ultimate technique of THROW SWORD AT BAD GUY MOB AND WAIT FOR RESULTS.

Vasher sighed as he unsheathed his heavily invested katana

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Minor spoilers from Dawnshard / RoW's prologue:

RoW Prologue posted:

Despite the underlying tension, they seemed to have things well in hand now—though there had been a scare earlier when they’d found worms in three barrels of grain. Thankfully, Brightlord Amaram had stores for his men, and Navani had been able to pry them out of his grip. For now, with the extra cooks they’d borrowed from the monastery, they might actually be able to feed all the people Gavilar had invited.

Coincidence? :thunk: was there a hordeling at the ceremony?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

Honestly, at this point it would be more surprising if there are no Sleepless hordelings present at important events.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I think that's probably right. There is no such thing as coincidences :colbert:

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

Most if not all of the heralds were there, I'd be more surprised if a sleepless wasn't around tbh.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Having just reread The Emperor’s Soul, I just wanted to say that I wish Shai and Jasnah could be friends.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

from the row sample chapters
In her opinion, they should sink the strange Blade in the ocean, like they’d done with the gemstone that contained the Thrill.

Dawnshard
so they absolutely put the Thrill into the vault on aimia, right?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Tindwil Is awesome and is single-handedly saving this book.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

In her opinion, they should sink the strange Blade in the ocean, like they’d done with the gemstone that contained the Thrill.

Dawnshard

Sounds like they did more sensible things than just simply throw it in the ocean, but we won't get details anytime soon:

therealkami
The main concern I saw with people on this chapter [Rhythm of War Chapter Sixteen] is the whole thing with where The Thrill ended up. Do we just lack info, or did Jasnah allow something that powerful to be simply tossed away and hope no one finds it?

Brandon Sanderson
Betas had some questions about this too, and my team keeps pushing me to put more info about it--but I haven't found the right place. It's more secure than you'd think.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Tindwil Is awesome and is single-handedly saving this book.

Not an emptyquote.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 14, 2020

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Tunicate posted:

Dawnshard

Good catch. Has to be it.

Edit: Interesting WOB that he just posted on reddit. Dawnshard spoilers:

OP: "So, Rysn's Dawnshard was totally used with Surgebinding to make the Dawncities right? E.g. the giant windbreaks in Kholinar that everyone wonders "How did they make those?" that would seem outside the power-level of Radiant soulcasting."

Brandon: "Let's just say this is a linguistic connection I expected people to make.

Also, creation of the dawncities (and Urithiru) is beyond the scope of what a radiant, or even a group of them working together, could create via soulcasting. (Though note, it's not beyond the scope of what surgebinding itself could do.)"

So pretty much 100% confirmed that Dawncities and Urithiru were created by using a Dawnshard. To me this practically confirms a 'Create' Dawnshard as my original theory suggests. He doesn't say construction or some other word. He says creation aka something from nothing. What else could he mean here?

insider fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 14, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

insider posted:

Good catch. Has to be it.

Edit: Interesting WOB that he just posted on reddit. Dawnshard spoilers:

OP: "So, Rysn's Dawnshard was totally used with Surgebinding to make the Dawncities right? E.g. the giant windbreaks in Kholinar that everyone wonders "How did they make those?" that would seem outside the power-level of Radiant soulcasting."

Brandon: "Let's just say this is a linguistic connection I expected people to make.

Also, creation of the dawncities (and Urithiru) is beyond the scope of what a radiant, or even a group of them working together, could create via soulcasting. (Though note, it's not beyond the scope of what surgebinding itself could do.)"

So pretty much 100% confirmed that Dawncities and Urithiru were created by using a Dawnshard. To me this practically confirms a 'Create' Dawnshard as my original theory suggests. He doesn't say construction or some other word. He says creation aka something from nothing. What else could he mean here?

i don't read him saying 'create' nearly that seriously though, Change would be more than enough to encompass making cities out of rock (and, more broadly, making Something out of Nothing is maybe one of the most fundamental kinds of change you could imagine).

he also doesn't deny that it was Rysn's dawnshard, Change, which is what he's explicitly being asked about

e: edited because i realized he wasn't trying to deny Radiants could do this, just that Radiants couldn't do this with soulcasting alone

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 14, 2020

insider
Feb 22, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah, beyond the scope "of a Radiant" seems like extremely intentional language -- not beyond the scope of a Herald or a pre-Herald unbound surgebinder

i don't read him saying 'create' nearly that seriously though, Change would be more than enough to encompass making cities out of rock. he also doesn't deny that it was Rysn's dawnshard, which is obviously Change

True enough... just want my theory to be correct so I can :smug:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also cross posting this extremely good Lift comic from reddit (technically ROW chapter 18 spoilers, though not big ones)

"Okay, who's gonna go to Shadesmar?"

this is now how i will imagine her from here on out

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Is there more? Because I could use the entire series illustrated in this style.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

Is there more? Because I could use the entire series illustrated in this style.

i think it's just a one-off that poster made but yeah, someone should pay them to do that

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I think I know what makes Well of Ascension feel so weak to start -

We spend so much time in the beginning as readers knowing that there must be some bigger threat than the armies outside Luthadel, but the characters don’t yet. So it feels like we are waiting for everyone else to catch up and that part of the plot to finally kick in. Meanwhile, in the first book, we knew from fairly early on that it would inevitably end up in a showdown with the Lord Ruler.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

So one or more of the book sellers released ROW early so non reviewers now have the book and are posting Spoilers. Just a warning.

So I'm going go dark on here, reddit, and Twitter until I finish. See you guys on the other side.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

insider posted:

So one or more of the book sellers released ROW early so non reviewers now have the book and are posting Spoilers. Just a warning.

So I'm going go dark on here, reddit, and Twitter until I finish. See you guys on the other side.

Well that’s what I get for buying local. (Just kidding support your local bookstore even if they are a bit more expensive).

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yes please. The technique is without compare, none can stand against it.

I am just counting down to RoW at this point.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been reading Stormlight recently, really great series. I read Way of Kings, and now I'm listening to Words of Radiance on the graphic audio version at work. However, while the graphic audio is mostly good, the small little preludes/excerpts from the in-universe Words Of Radiance and the Parshendi songs at the beginning of each chapter are mixed terribly, they have an echo to them and I can't understand them at all. Is there a link to them online somewhere so I can read them? If not, how important are they to understanding what's going on with the plot/mysteries? Will I be missing anything big?

e: I think I found a link with most of it.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 15, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've been reading Stormlight recently, really great series. I read Way of Kings, and now I'm listening to Words of Radiance on the graphic audio version at work. However, while it's mostly good, the small little preludes/excerpts from the in-universe Words Of Radiance and the Parshendi songs at the beginning of each chapter are mixed terribly, they have an echo to them and I can't understand them at all. Is there a link to them online somewhere so I can read them? If not, how important are they to understanding what's going on with the plot/mysteries? Will I be missing anything big?

e: I think I found a link with most of it.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Words_of_Radiance/Epigraphs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So does Sanderson do those chapter interstitials in every one of his books? I've found them to be absolutely delightful in The Final Empire and The Well of Ascension.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

So does Sanderson do those chapter interstitials in every one of his books? I've found them to be absolutely delightful in The Final Empire and The Well of Ascension.

not all of them, mistborn era 2 doesn't have em for instance

but stormlight does the same thing, where the epigraphs are Important but you have to piece together who's writing and why it matters as you read the book

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also, am I going to get a flood of answers soon in regards to the mysteries/lore and stuff? I'm about halfway through Words of Radiance, and I feel like it's been a bit slower paced and conservative on the reveals compared to the original Mistborn Trilogy. I'm also enjoying the Parshendi POV chapters, hope I get more of those too.

e: I couldn't help myself and read a bit about the orders of Knights Radiant in the wiki and got some minor spoilers, and it def seems like a lot of poo poo is going to be happening at some point at least.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
RoW spoiler speculation based on the preview chapters. Since the Knights Radiant will all be away, leaving non-combatants and Kaladin at Urithuru, I'm hoping for Die Hard starring Kaladin. How awesome would that be?

As for lore, I feel like Oathbringer had a lot more of the KR stuff than WoR did.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Going to the Coppermind wiki is going to spoil a lot, not just the book you're currently reading, but books you haven't read yet, and mysteries you don't even know exist. As well as mysteries solved by WoBs (Word of Brandon) and the further mysteries that pop up when he answers one question earnestly that in turn raises 10 more deeper questions. Pure madness.

Also it being called Coppermind is a spoiler for Mistborn in a way

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

M_Gargantua posted:

Going to the Coppermind wiki is going to spoil a lot, not just the book you're currently reading, but books you haven't read yet, and mysteries you don't even know exist. As well as mysteries solved by WoBs (Word of Brandon) and the further mysteries that pop up when he answers one question earnestly that in turn raises 10 more deeper questions. Pure madness.

Also it being called Coppermind is a spoiler for Mistborn in a way

A very minor spoiler, imho. But yes, don't go to the Coppermind if you want to avoid spoilers.

Mordiceius posted:

They are just as delightful in Hero of Ages and his Stormlight Archive books. :)

Wax & Wayne don't have them, but I guess since they were side-projects, and originally planned to be just one book instead of the four we're getting, it kinda makes sense that he decided to forego the epigraphs in favor of getting out the books faster. That said, there's one very amusing... graphic in each Mistborn Era 2 book that can be seen as a replacement for the epigraphs.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

A very minor spoiler, imho. But yes, don't go to the Coppermind if you want to avoid spoilers.

They are just as delightful in Hero of Ages and his Stormlight Archive books. :)

Wax & Wayne don't have them, but I guess since they were side-projects, and originally planned to be just one book instead of the four we're getting, it kinda makes sense that he decided to forego the epigraphs in favor of getting out the books faster. That said, there's one very amusing... graphic in each Mistborn Era 2 book that can be seen as a replacement for the epigraphs.

I love those little newspapers clippings. They're honestly one of the best parts of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the newspaper clippings replace the epigraphs and are very thematic that Era 2 is like 1890's turn of the century.