Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
remember a few years back when accent walls were a thing

"hm, I have white walls and I don't know how to decorate them"

"have you tried painting one of them red"

brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wallpaper reminds me of my great grandmother to be honest, though I have seen a few staged pictures with wallpaper that actually looks good

top of this page

https://www.bludot.com/modern-living-room-furniture/modern-sofas-sectionals-sleepers.html

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "designer wallpaper"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/505-E-Myrtle-Ave-Beverly-Shores-IN-46301/2077284006_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1414-S-Penn-Sq-UNIT-17B-Philadelphia-PA-19102/90197664_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/329-Sagaponack-Rd-Bridgehampton-NY-11932/248852376_zpid/

putting this behind a link due to nekkid lady painting https://i.imgur.com/4yqcayu.jpg

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/260-S-Osceola-Ave-UNIT-709-Orlando-FL-32801/82092541_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/83-Oneida-Dr-Greenwich-CT-06830/240518629_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2506-Davidson-Ave-APT-5A-Bronx-NY-10468/215949327_zpid/ I will not apologize for loving this

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/605-Ocean-Blvd-Golden-Beach-FL-33160/44021667_zpid/...wow

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Are we detouring from the American dream, or is the dream the detour... my mind just can't handle this edgy. outsider art!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Given the apparent wealth of someone with a private gym I'd wager that taxes are the detour from their American dream.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

actionjackson posted:

wallpaper reminds me of my great grandmother to be honest, though I have seen a few staged pictures with wallpaper that actually looks good

top of this page

https://www.bludot.com/modern-living-room-furniture/modern-sofas-sectionals-sleepers.html

Regardless of the cool looks that can be achieved with wallpaper, I cringe due to months long battles removing old, multi layered, painted wallpaper from my house. - much of it apparently put straight onto plaster.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao Prada slut is afraid of wallpaper.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i personally cant wait to trip over a weight bench while i'm trying to play 8 ball in my classic car pool table

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

wooger posted:

Regardless of the cool looks that can be achieved with wallpaper, I cringe due to months long battles removing old, multi layered, painted wallpaper from my house. - much of it apparently put straight onto plaster.

There's always stenciling.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

This powder room is cute. Everything else in this house runs the gamut from "a little much" to "literally disorienting," but I can't fault these people for knowing what they like and going for it, I guess. Except the billiard table, which is both ugly and looks uncomfortable to play on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao Prada slut is afraid of wallpaper.

just painting your wall and putting art on it seems a lot easier and also flexible if you change your design preferences later

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

wooger posted:

Why would you remove it at that point? Just take a hint from previous owners and paint (or hell, wallpaper) over it once more.

actionjackson posted:

just painting your wall and putting art on it seems a lot easier and also flexible if you change your design preferences later
They do make "removable" wallpaper now that judging by this video seems to come off pretty easily fwiw

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
lol at the "home gym" that's got a bunch of dumb equipment and not even a rack

that's a gym for fat dads who get more exercise from the cardio of dusting it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

actionjackson posted:

if you change your design preferences later

Seems to me that's only a problem for people with bad taste.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seems to me that's only a problem for people with bad taste.

it could be as simple as just a new piece of art. my friend inherited something from her grandmother that is really beautiful (it's some old chinese art), if you have white walls or most neutrals it is guaranteed to work, whereas other colors or many wallpapers it would not given its color scheme.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

actionjackson posted:

it could be as simple as just a new piece of art. my friend inherited something from her grandmother that is really beautiful (it's some old chinese art), if you have white walls or most neutrals it is guaranteed to work, whereas other colors or many wallpapers it would not given its color scheme.

So one should just have white or ugly walls just on the off-chance that one might later acquire a thing of beauty?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So one should just have white or ugly walls just on the off-chance that one might later acquire a thing of beauty?

generally neutrals are the most flexible; that doesn't necessarily mean white. I personally have a combination of several grays and then softer tan from sherwin-williams. tans/browns/creams are coming back so I'm ahead of the curve! My bathroom is a blue with a bit of gray in it, so I got something for the wall that would match well with that (it has several oranges, browns and dark blues).

going back to my friend, she wants to do a decidedly un-neutral paint color of Kiwi in her living room of her new house, but because of that she is going to have to replace several other items she has that would absolutely not match (for example a somewhat bright blue rug). Since it's not a neutral, you have a lot less options that would work well. In the case of kiwi, neutrals like slate gray tend to coordinate nicely.

I think having more colorful, vibrant walls is fine if you really want the walls to stand out. But if you want the other elements of your room to stand out (like art, plants, rugs, etc.) it makes sense to me to have walls that are more neutral. I'm sure my friend's walls will draw a lot of attention when they are painted!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 15, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's just hospital green. It's like the most neutral thing ever if you're not brain-washed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kiwi green is not neutral, you can look at those giant sample things that interior designers have, it's very much in the "green" family

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/neutral

neutrals are more "earth tones"

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 15, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ima put up wallpaper just so I can paint it all white.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ima put up wallpaper just so I can paint it all white.

I like it

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

actionjackson posted:

kiwi green is not neutral, you can look at those giant sample things that interior designers have, it's very much in the "green" family

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/neutral

neutrals are more "earth tones"

You know that at least part of the earth is covered in green right

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think you may be taking the phrase too literally :)

but kiwis are actually brown so maybe they are cheating

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_tone

"More generally, it refers to "neutral colors", which are muted and flat in an emulation of natural colors. Neutral colors can be created by mixing two complementary colors or combining a pure color with white, black, or gray. Pure-neutral colors include black, white, and all grays, while near-neutral hues include browns, tan, and darker colors."

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
So you skipped the paragraph before that which says “It can also refer to "natural colors" (colors found in nature) such as brown soil, green leaf, cloudy sky, as well as the red sun”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hypnophant posted:

So you skipped the paragraph before that which says “It can also refer to "natural colors" (colors found in nature) such as brown soil, green leaf, cloudy sky, as well as the red sun”

You can't cure fishmeching with reason.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know what to tell you man, it's not a neutral paint color, the sherwin williams link shows their neutrals.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 15, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I don't know what to tell you man, it's not a neutral paint color, the sherwin williams link shows their neutrals. if you disagree with their classification then... okay?

I do. this is from a physical book on my shelf

but, if sherman williams doesn’t dump it into “neutrals” on their website then i guess that’s that

Since this topic got started talking about art on walls, I will point out that the national gallery (london), which I assume knows a thing about displaying art, has painted many of its rooms in colors that are not white, beige, or gray

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 15, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

which book is that? are the "new neutrals" supposed to be that entire listing?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Pure Neutrals, Stephanie Hoppen. That's the toc.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

she considers cherry red (the cherry blossom color) to be... neutral?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 15, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

actionjackson posted:

she considers cherry red (the cherry blossom color) to be... neutral?

That's fuschia. Cherry blossoms are quite a pale pink, as anyone who's visited DC in spring knows

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hypnophant posted:

I do. this is from a physical book on my shelf

but, if sherman williams doesn’t dump it into “neutrals” on their website then i guess that’s that

Since this topic got started talking about art on walls, I will point out that the national gallery (london), which I assume knows a thing about displaying art, has painted many of its rooms in colors that are not white, beige, or gray

We need to get Sherwin Williams on this, stat!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

I can tell this is a new idea for you so i hope this helps illustrate. Left is from “perfect palettes” by the same author, right is from the neutrals book. You can see how different applications of similar colors lead to very different effects. One is neutral and the other is decidedly not

e: last one while i’ve got the book out

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 15, 2020

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

hypnophant posted:

Yeah, a lot of art galleries have very colourful walls. Red is especially popular choice, and I feel like white walls are reserved more for contemporary or 20th century art, tbh. One of my favourites is the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh with very vivid reds, greens and blues:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you see, according to this book which redefines neutrals by completely widening the criteria, that color is actually a neutral

literally moving the goalposts from what the standard accepted definition is

the fact that fuchsia is included shows how far out there that author is

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

:rolleyes:

I don't really care about your slapfight. Just adding that gallery walls are often far from white.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

actionjackson posted:

you see, according to this book which redefines neutrals by completely widening the criteria, that color is actually a neutral

literally moving the goalposts from what the standard accepted definition is

the fact that fuchsia is included shows how far out there that author is

Actually according to the standard accepted definition, which I researched by looking at the sherwin williams website,

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

more like I've worked with a couple interior designers and talked about paint a lot

maybe the fact that your book is 180 pages should be a red flag that their definitions are a bit too liberal

i'd be shocked at this point if she didn't stick in neon pink

hypnophant posted:

pretty sure virtually every color appears somewhere in nature, so that wouldn't be a very helpful definition to use

the official flower of my state is a bright pink, I don't think that means bright pink is a neutral

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 15, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

actionjackson posted:

i'd be shocked at this point if she didn't stick in neon pink

could you for just one post be less aggressively boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my modern furniture will really stand out with fuchsia paint on the walls, that's the great thing about neutrals