Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/5N7kM2B.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

poverty goat posted:

It should make thin slices much easier

Got a sharpener and honed my good chef's knife and getting thin slices was so easy.

I feel like an idiot for having ever done anything different.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you’re not humming Powerhouse while this plays, you’re doing it wrong.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like seeing the industrial version of dough punching. I think dude just stabbed it with a knife a bunch?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i thought he was kind of doing more of a stab and fold technique there

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Love the science-y guy in the lab coat on the factory floor checking the very 60’s machine thingy.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Fortaleza posted:

Love the science-y guy in the lab coat on the factory floor checking the very 60’s machine thingy.

he walks through and presses a single button and keeps walking, what the hell does that button do?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

LifeSunDeath posted:

he walks through and presses a single button and keeps walking, what the hell does that button do?

Buddy, they won't even let ME gently caress the bread computer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LifeSunDeath posted:

It goes “ping!”

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

It just says, "Better". You walk the floor and if the breads not good enough you hit the button and it makes it better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I think I’m finally getting my slashing down.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Deepest bluest, my bread is like a shark's fin

I also got myself into a bit of a twist.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Deepest bluest, my bread is like a shark's fin

Ladies Love Cool Bread

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Moved to a new place with an awesome new gas range and turns out my poo poo old oven was the reason for my inconsistent crusts in the past.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

goddamn that;s pretty

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Here's some more bread:

This is the covered baker from King Arthur (got a gift card from my Aunt as a wedding present). Only makes one shape, but it's pretty good as breakfast toast. Apparently I've been using it upside down, but whatever. I've been doing a no-knead (at least 2 or 3 days resting in the fridge), shaping the loaf, then doing a final proof in the baker. Slash the top straight (I could get fancier with a lame but I just have a bread knife). Then I do the cold oven start, bake for ~45 minutes cover on, ~15 minutes cover off.

It seems really hard to take a picture of the crumb. It looks good to my eye, then I take a picture and it just looks, I don't know, weird. Like I lose a lot of the definition and dimensional of it.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Happy sourdough accidents: I usually do around 12-18 hour rise, but was too lazy/busy and left the dough in the fridge for 36 hours. The taste is so good, a really nice, tangy, complex flavour! Ahh, I love it.

Around 65% hydration, with 3/4 basic white flour and 1/4 graham flour (which I just learned is not super common in America??). Minimal mixing and kneading, just some basic folding before last rise.

Bad crumb shot because I apparently can't cut bread:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Still getting great results with my new oven.
My last couple doughs have been really sticky though so I’ve started to dial back the hydration

This was the result of a dough that was way too wet and stuck to my banneton, so I tossed it in a pan to try and save it and ended up with bread dick and raw inside.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Did some baking today.

Stick buns

They're really loving good.

And a cinnamon raisin loaf.

Also really loving good.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

dog nougat posted:

Did some baking today.

Stick buns

They're really loving good.

And a cinnamon raisin loaf.

Also really loving good.

Oooh, need that sticky bun recipe!

Thread, would like a good example of overproofed bread? Here you go!

We had to take the cat to the emergency vet (nothing was wrong that they saw, her recent antibiotics are not agreeing with her, but at least they got some fluids in her) and I lost track of time on the hoagie rolls I was making for meatball subs.

I poured the dough out and baked it anyway - texture is dense a bit chewy, but the flavor is fantastic. (They are not crunchy like the biscotti I cut it to look like for fun.)

Cat tax:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

effika posted:

Oooh, need that sticky bun recipe!

Thread, would like a good example of overproofed bread? Here you go!

We had to take the cat to the emergency vet (nothing was wrong that they saw, her recent antibiotics are not agreeing with her, but at least they got some fluids in her) and I lost track of time on the hoagie rolls I was making for meatball subs.

I poured the dough out and baked it anyway - texture is dense a bit chewy, but the flavor is fantastic. (They are not crunchy like the biscotti I cut it to look like for fun.)

Cat tax:

Here's the recipe from an old 1950s Betty Crocker picture cookbook

Cinnamon rolls called for ½ of the sweet dough, so I just said gently caress it and made the whole thing and made a cinnamon raisin loaf with the other half

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Thanks! Nice idea on the cinnamon raisin bread.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, no prob!
I kinda wanted both, so I figured I'd just make both. Now I have "too much" bread. I'll either have to convince some friends to come get some delicious baked goods or just gorge myself of bread :shrug:

Just ate like 4 sticky buns and 3 slices of bread. Loaded tf up on carbs and gonna pass out.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I made some test dinner rolls and they came out much denser than I expected. Not too bad, but not the light and fluffy buns I was going for. What can cause this? My yeast was some I have had forever, but the dough rose just fine.

Bread, what a mystery.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I made some test dinner rolls and they came out much denser than I expected. Not too bad, but not the light and fluffy buns I was going for. What can cause this? My yeast was some I have had forever, but the dough rose just fine.

Bread, what a mystery.

Are you using a roll recipe, or just dividing a bread recipe into rolls? Rolls are soft because they contain fats and other ingredients; mashed potato is especially good, and boxed mashed potato works perfectly. Lenora's Yeast Rolls from Bernard Clayton are my go-to and I usually make them for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=19372.0

I don't see them mentioned often in this thread, but Bernard Clayton's Book of Breads and Bernard Clayton's Book of Small Breads are excellent.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Are you using a roll recipe, or just dividing a bread recipe into rolls? Rolls are soft because they contain fats and other ingredients; mashed potato is especially good, and boxed mashed potato works perfectly. Lenora's Yeast Rolls from Bernard Clayton are my go-to and I usually make them for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=19372.0

I don't see them mentioned often in this thread, but Bernard Clayton's Book of Breads and Bernard Clayton's Book of Small Breads are excellent.

Oh interesting. I was doing a recipe for yeast rolls I found somewhere online but as I have not made bread in ages so much could have gone wrong.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Bread, what a mystery.

How are you measuring your flour? Seems like a dumb question but if you're not measuring properly, you could be adding a lot more flour and that will cause denser bread (while still getting a decent rise).

Best way to measure flour is with a scale. But here's an example of how you should be doing it if you don't have a scale.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/videos/baking-skills/how-to-measure-flour

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

beerinator posted:

How are you measuring your flour? Seems like a dumb question but if you're not measuring properly, you could be adding a lot more flour and that will cause denser bread (while still getting a decent rise).

Best way to measure flour is with a scale. But here's an example of how you should be doing it if you don't have a scale.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/videos/baking-skills/how-to-measure-flour

:eyepop: That video.

I didn't bother digging my scale out but that definitely could have been the problem now that I think about it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Latest loaf

Hell of an oven raise

I refreshed my started for the first time in months and it shows

Sticking to basics and not adding veges or anything

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Bread, what a mystery.

Do you use the poke test to judge whether it proofed enough before baking? Maybe it was rising but wasn’t done yet. To do the test you poke the rolls with an oiled/wet/floured finger. If the indentation bounces back a little but mostly stays then it’s ready. If you poke it and it springs back most of the way it needs more time.

That and maybe slashing. Were they in muffin tins or in one big pan? I think for muffin tins you could try scoring the top to ensure they can rise in the oven. If they’re not slashed the crust can prevent some oven spring. I feel like if they’re stuffed together it’s less of an issue since they can rise upward, but that’s just idle speculation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Eeyo posted:

That and maybe slashing. Were they in muffin tins or in one big pan? I think for muffin tins you could try scoring the top to ensure they can rise in the oven. If they’re not slashed the crust can prevent some oven spring. I feel like if they’re stuffed together it’s less of an issue since they can rise upward, but that’s just idle speculation.
I have never, ever had to slash the top of a fat-enriched roll. The crust doesn't dry out in the way that bread dough does.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been making circular boules for myself, which has been working great, but today I’d like to make one more oval shaped so I can share more slices of a smaller size.

Can I just form it a little longer and use the same temp/time? Not making baguettes or anything, more like a load shape without a pan.

Edit: a batard. I need to get out of my comfort zone and learn new bread words.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 21, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This isn't a direct answer to you, but faced with the same thing during quarantine I started baking my FSWY no-knead dough in pans.

It works just fine, but bake method I've landed on is 450 for 10 minutes, reduce to 350 for 20-25 (until internal temp 190F). If you've been baking your boule in a dutch oven and are now baking in an open oven, that might be a good place to start.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 21, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Rolo posted:

I’ve been making circular boules for myself, which has been working great, but today I’d like to make one more oval shaped so I can share more slices of a smaller size.

Can I just form it a little longer and use the same temp/time? Not making baguettes or anything, more like a load shape without a pan.

Edit: a batard. I need to get out of my comfort zone and learn new bread words.

It shouldn't be substantially different — I do the same basic method whether round or batard. But you should probably be a little more vigilant toward the end to get the right crispness for the crust regardless.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Huxley posted:

This isn't a direct answer to you, but faced with the same thing during quarantine I started baking my FSWY no-knead dough in pans.

It works just fine, but bake method I've landed on is 450 for 10 minutes, reduce to 350 for 20-25 (until internal temp 190F). If you've been baking your boule in a dutch oven and are now baking in an open oven, that might be a good place to start.

Like a 13x9 baking pan? Do you not put a lid on it? Are you getting a nice spring or is it denser that otherwise?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

Like a 13x9 baking pan? Do you not put a lid on it? Are you getting a nice spring or is it denser that otherwise?

I bake a 500 g (of flour) loaf in a ... I think 10x5? I've been happy enough, though I'm sure I could get better results if I bothered to tent them. As is, a loaf that does its second rise to around a inch below the rim will bake up to around an inch above.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

OK, nailed it on my second attempt. Not being too lazy to get my scale out made a big difference! Either that or the fresh yeast.

Both, very likely.

Thanks for all the help thread! Thanksgiving is one step further away from miserable.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have now purchased wheat gluten to help out my whole wheat loaves. Anyone else have good luck using it to get airier loaves?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Pandemic lockdown baking experiments, started a rye sourdough from scratch and made this:

Full Grain Rye Sourdough Bread. Extremely sticky dough, basically a paste. Half of it wouldn't come out of the basket so I just scooped it into the Dutch oven and tried to reform it into something looking like a loaf. Didn't rise a lot but the crust is amazing and it tastes heavenly. Definitely gonna try that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If it eats, it's good bread.

By the time you are going into the basket your dough should be formed up enough to work it better than that. Double check your measurements, and make sure when you are transferring from your mixing bowl to your banneton you are making your ball in the right way.

Dump your dough onto your floured surface, pull your corners up an in, flip and tuck tight, drop seam-down into your banneton. Every surface of your dough should be lightly floured, and your banneton should be LIBERALLY dusted with whatever you are hoping to keep it from sticking. Lots of folks use rice flour, I swear by corn meal. I'm sure there's a half-dozen other right answers.

I also really like dumping my dough from a banneton onto parchment paper, then just lifting the whole thing into the dutch oven. It reduces a little of the anxiety of "working over hot" that might make you move too fast or do something awkwardly. But in most cases if you've done everything right up to that point, you shouldn't need more than a tap on the banneton to knock your dough out.

If you've got the flavor you want, though, you're like 90% of the way to perfect. Make more bread, come back and show us!