Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

rockinsaki posted:

So with this graphical update how comparable are the G2 and the Quest 2 for PCVR? Can we expect more improvements to the link tech? Also, if I want the dedicated link and cable and stuff the quest 2 seems to approach the cost of the G2 anyway. So is the standalone VR that good?

E: also, this is something I hadn't really considered so much yet, but my graphics card is only a 1660ti. If I buy the reverb g2, am I effectively bottlenecking my vr experience with my graphics card? Would I be able to benefit from the G2's more powerful stuff without a 2060 or whatever?

I've got a 1660ti in my system and I find I want more power for Virtual Desktop streaming but it isn't the worst card at all. It's basically a 2060 without the raytracing stuff. I'm keeping my eye out for the new AMD cards or the rumoured 3060ti due early next month before I upgrade, see what's going to be the best bang for my buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

rockinsaki posted:

Thanks for the card advice. So far as link mode or virtual desktop, that's obviously great for pc native titles, but how about all the quest 2 standalone titles? Would I be able to launch those games from my PC with link, or is that where it gets complicated?

The games made just for Quest are limited to Quest graphics capability for the most part. Some games are cross-buy, meaning the Quest version and the Oculus PC version are available. Some then have better graphics on the PC version. So that's the only potential reason to play any Quest games on a PC if they are cross-buy and look better. Being free from the cord is the main reason for playing on a Quest, though.

Here's a comparison I did quick with First Contact. It's a pretty noticeable difference. If it's a Quest only game, not Link compatible, then I don't know of a need or way to play it from PC.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, I went back and survived the Phasmo tutorial. I only found two pieces of evidence, so I feel like I must have missed something, but I think I understand how the tools work. I’m still a bit wigged out and didn’t enjoy turning off all the lights to talk to the ghost, but it didn’t want to talk back I guess. ;)

What’s the deal with the various keys lying about, and the chicken bones, and such?

I assume the head radio is only for multi? Is it push and hold to talk, or a toggle on/off?

Anything else I should know playing for realsies? The belt was a nice discovery.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Vr games are a great way to lose weight or maintain good shape.

They also hate fat people. Or just big people in general.

Examples being any quickbelt or rig where youre supposed to put stuff on your body. If its not adjustable, and your heavy, tall, or some combination, congratulations your item you need to reach for is now in your spleen. Bringing up Phasmophobia reminded me of this, cause standing at a normal height etc i couldnt pull an item out of my hip from that belt without some weird rear end wiggling around. Which doesn't help when your being chased by some horrifying ghost.

Honorable mention to Payday 2 for having a really good adjustable belt. Combine that with the Vr improvements mod and you have one of the really good vr games out there.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, I went back and survived the Phasmo tutorial. I only found two pieces of evidence, so I feel like I must have missed something, but I think I understand how the tools work. I’m still a bit wigged out and didn’t enjoy turning off all the lights to talk to the ghost, but it didn’t want to talk back I guess. ;)

What’s the deal with the various keys lying about, and the chicken bones, and such?

I assume the head radio is only for multi? Is it push and hold to talk, or a toggle on/off?

Anything else I should know playing for realsies? The belt was a nice discovery.

There's a lot to it, but once you get how to use each tool it'll be easier. The keys can open back doors in some levels and the car keys will deactivate the car alarm. I always grab them all.

You want to find the chicken bone as much as possible, take a pic of it, and then grab it for extra evidence money but sometimes it just doesn't show up or is bugged/hidden under something. Take a pic of other stuff, too, like fingerprints if you find them or the Ouija Board, for more interaction evidence. Yeah, the radio is for multiplayer since there's both a local voice and public voice. The radio lets you communicate when far from teammates and out of ear shot and is hold to talk. A button on the left controller can mute the local channel, but I can't remember which one.

Pay attention to the white board in the truck and what the guy says at the beginning to see how active the ghost may already be or if it'll only respond when alone. Be careful using the ghost name since that angers it. Asking other questions can help get it to be more active to then try for clues.

A major part of the fun is the learning curve! If you want a lot of spoilers, this page has tons of info, the voice commands being a very helpful one: https://github.com/azsry/phasmophobia_mechanics#generic-voip-recognition

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Talkc posted:

Examples being any quickbelt or rig where youre supposed to put stuff on your body. If its not adjustable, and your heavy, tall, or some combination, congratulations your item you need to reach for is now in your spleen. Bringing up Phasmophobia reminded me of this, cause standing at a normal height etc i couldnt pull an item out of my hip from that belt without some weird rear end wiggling around. Which doesn't help when your being chased by some horrifying ghost.

Honorable mention to Payday 2 for having a really good adjustable belt. Combine that with the Vr improvements mod and you have one of the really good vr games out there.

Yeah, games in general are still figuring out accessibility (see: lovely subtitles, button mashing as a game mechanic, games forcing you to start the game before you can get into accessibility options, etc.), and VR can be especially rough in that aspect. I'm sorry the game doesn't have adjustability for you :(

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What’s the deal with Pimax? For a headset with a 200 degree fov, and double 4K displays, for not that much more than an Index, I virtually never see it mentioned. Why is that?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jakabite posted:

What’s the deal with Pimax? For a headset with a 200 degree fov, and double 4K displays, for not that much more than an Index, I virtually never see it mentioned. Why is that?

I don't have one, but the impression I've seen in this thread is that it can be a janky mess (and VR is already janky enough, even with big-name hardware) and the FOV doesn't work in lots of games, since they weren't designed with that wide an FOV in mind.

I think Lemming and a few others here have messed with one and can correct me if I'm wrong.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

I don't have one, but the impression I've seen in this thread is that it can be a janky mess (and VR is already janky enough, even with big-name hardware) and the FOV doesn't work in lots of games, since they weren't designed with that wide an FOV in mind.

I think Lemming and a few others here have messed with one and can correct me if I'm wrong.

To be honest it worked much better than I thought it would, the larger FOV was legitimately extremely impressive, it worked pretty easily with SteamVR stuff, and the higher resolution was noticeable. It also gave me intense, searing eye pain after wearing it for like 20 minutes. I tried using it several times and it was always horrible. I had to take a bunch of advil afterwards every time.

But I don't think that experience is typical, and I wasn't sure if it was a bad headset or endemic to all the headsets for a certain kind of person. It definitely sold me on the idea of higher FOV being more important than a lot of other factors, so the way that the Index is the only mainstream headset with anything higher than what we've been dealing with is kind of disappointing.

Edit: and I have gotten glasses since then and it turns out I have a slight astigmatism in both of my eyes, so maybe that contributed as well. It seriously loving hurt though, it felt like my actual eyeballs had been stabbed

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

To be honest it worked much better than I thought it would, the larger FOV was legitimately extremely impressive, it worked pretty easily with SteamVR stuff, and the higher resolution was noticeable. It also gave me intense, searing eye pain after wearing it for like 20 minutes. I tried using it several times and it was always horrible. I had to take a bunch of advil afterwards every time.

I would guess that's from their optics having bad pupil swim. The subtle distortions as you look around can be easy to miss but gently caress with your head.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Talkc posted:

Oh man that's kinda funny and I never considered that possibility.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I played and beat "I expect you to die" today. It was real good! For those who got it in the bundle you're probably only going to get 2-3 hours out of it but I think it was a really good VR experience. Whenever I hang around family again it'd probably be fun to cast it to the TV and make it a group experience.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

You know how 2016 is pretty much ancient history as far as VR is concerned? Well check out this VR system from loving 1995!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n5B3fl-bU

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

AzureSkys posted:

The games made just for Quest are limited to Quest graphics capability for the most part. Some games are cross-buy, meaning the Quest version and the Oculus PC version are available. Some then have better graphics on the PC version. So that's the only potential reason to play any Quest games on a PC if they are cross-buy and look better. Being free from the cord is the main reason for playing on a Quest, though.

Here's a comparison I did quick with First Contact. It's a pretty noticeable difference. If it's a Quest only game, not Link compatible, then I don't know of a need or way to play it from PC.

I hate to keep bringing it up, but it was in reference to having copies of quest games available on my pc that I'd want to bypass any security poo poo for. But that's a great side by side, gives me an idea of native vs compatible performance. Ugh. Still half-way struggling with quest vs g2, but the 3060 or whatever the lowest tier new card is, is half paid for if i get the quest instead of g2. that's a huge consideration.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

8one6 posted:

You know how 2016 is pretty much ancient history as far as VR is concerned? Well check out this VR system from loving 1995!

and yet it still has better IPD adjustment than some of the major headsets today

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lockback posted:

I played and beat "I expect you to die" today. It was real good! For those who got it in the bundle you're probably only going to get 2-3 hours out of it but I think it was a really good VR experience. Whenever I hang around family again it'd probably be fun to cast it to the TV and make it a group experience.

Thats what we did, had the family together over the holidays one year and played through the game, everyone taking turns after a death. Was an absolute blast. Also if you plan to play with the family i can't recommend "keep talking and no one explodes" enough. What an absolutely great party game that is.

8one6 posted:

I remember pouring over my brothers issues of PC gamer that featured this when i was a little kid, again and again. All I ever wanted for the longest time was to just try one out. Its 100% the reason I got the oculus dev kit back in the day and became engrossed in modern VR.

There actually used to be this great little demo back in the dk2 days, that had a nicely rendered modern scene, and when you pressed spacebar it instantly switched its resolution, framerate, latency, field of view, tracking, and the assets in the scene to what it would have looked like on one of these 90's headsets and computers. Really a kick to just tap back and forth between it and see how terrible it all was back then, lol.

8one6
May 20, 2012

So that video led me to this one: We almost had VR for the goddamn Sega Genesis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UN_pN9ZU8Y

Luneshot posted:

and yet it still has better IPD adjustment than some of the major headsets today

Yeah... It's horseshit how every current VR hardware mfg is shaving what's at most $5/unit for the IPD adjustments.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

8one6 posted:

So that video led me to this one: We almost had VR for the goddamn Sega Genesis!

Yeah... It's horseshit how every current VR hardware mfg is shaving what's at most $5/unit for the IPD adjustments.

but scale!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

8one6 posted:

I think its also interesting something like the VFX-1 back then, also included focus adjustment. Nothing outside of the gear VR in modern vr has ever included that and it really surprises me that no one does.

8one6
May 20, 2012

One more and I'll stop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X_E_Kg9roE
The Virtuality VR arcade pods with glorious 20 frames per second.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8one6 posted:

I do think that limited IPD ranges are going to bite companies in the rear end more as VR becomes more mainstream. That "average" IPD range is a question of numbers, and more users means more that will fall outside that viable IPD range.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lockback posted:

I have, for the 4th exact time, failed the "deadly virus in a rocket" scenario at the last step, where you have 10 seconds to launch, because the goddamn game cannot register the fact that I have, in fact, put the correct vial in the rocket. It's fun, but it's also extremely janky and mainy annoying when you know what you have to do and just have to go through the motions to get to the part where you failed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

8one6 posted:

Modern headsets are not including IPD adjustments not because the adjustment mechanism itself cost money, but because there is no good, cheap displays in the market of the appropriate size. That's why Oculus did the tradeoff between dual pentile oleds vs single lcd rgb screen of higher resolution, because there was no third option of dual screens at the same resolution (and equivalent price, we can guess).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Another review of the G2. Sounds like it's not bad, but the tracking and FOV are drawbacks.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-reverb-g2

The meme of 'good headset for sims' is still going strong, then?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNk_wovPXo

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
can anyone in the UK recommend a place to get prescription lens adapters?

https://vroptician.com/ looks good but their delivery time is 4-5 weeks... or is that normal?

also I bought an Oculus Link cable without realising that the PC connection is USB-C, which my case/mobo doesn't have. I ordered a C-A adapter which claims to support up to 10gb/s, but is it gonna hurt the performance?

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 15, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

8one6 posted:

I'm fairly certain this is what I tried for my first VR experience when I was like 12. The timeline is perfect, and I remember the headset being like a helmet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fuf posted:

https://vroptician.com/ looks good but their delivery time is 4-5 weeks... or is that normal?

also I bought an Oculus Link cable without realising that the PC connection is USB-C, which my case/mobo doesn't have. I ordered a C-A adapter which claims to support up to 10gb/s, but is it gonna hurt the performance?

You don't have a C on your video card?

If you do get 10gb/s you're fine. I think the practical limit is 3gb/s and I think the returns above 1.5gb/s is really really small. Use the Oculus app to tell you your bandwidth.

The only slight worry is if that adapter causes connection reliability issues but it shouldn't and you'll know right away.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

fuf posted:

I use a C->A adapter and it doesn't hurt anything at all. There is the potential with a bad connector causing connectivity issues and disconnects I suppose, but otherwise there should be no effect on the visuals or performance.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

fuf posted:

I had a good experience with WIDMOvr in 2017. Shipped in three days for me, but their site says 7-14 right now due to covid/high demand I guess. The first CV1 lens adapter they sent me actually broke after ~2 years, but on the upside they sent me two replacement adapters for free, with matching cloth pouches. All the other ones look sturdier than the CV1 design so I'll probably be using them again whenever I get a new headset.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

fuf posted:

I ordered a pair from vroptician and while i can't say they're the fastest they haven't broken and it took about 3 and a half weeks for them to make them and ship it from Germany to Cali, so make of that as you will.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Lockback posted:

You don't have a C on your video card?

nope, the 3000 series doesn't have them

Tom Guycot posted:

I use a C->A adapter and it doesn't hurt anything at all. There is the potential with a bad connector causing connectivity issues and disconnects I suppose, but otherwise there should be no effect on the visuals or performance.

Ok good to know

TheKnife posted:

I had a good experience with WIDMOvr in 2017. Shipped in three days for me, but their site says 7-14 right now due to covid/high demand I guess. The first CV1 lens adapter they sent me actually broke after ~2 years, but on the upside they sent me two replacement adapters for free, with matching cloth pouches. All the other ones look sturdier than the CV1 design so I'll probably be using them again whenever I get a new headset.

Ardryn posted:

I ordered a pair from vroptician and while i can't say they're the fastest they haven't broken and it took about 3 and a half weeks for them to make them and ship it from Germany to Cali, so make of that as you will.

Thanks for this, will go for one of these. Although so far just wearing my glasses hasn't been too bad.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wish I had the chance to try Disney’s VR attraction:

The man who helped create the attraction, gave an incredible lecture when he had terminal cancer, which most have probably already seen:

https://youtu.be/ji5_MqicxSo

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

I got to play something like that at epcot center abou 25 years ago, we had to walk into a ring and put on a headset. I feel like the remote control was loose, and you pushed a button to walk forward, and another to interact with dinosaur eggs or something like that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

8one6 posted:

No way. One screen instead of two is a huge savings.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tom Guycot posted:

I think its also interesting something like the VFX-1 back then, also included focus adjustment. Nothing outside of the gear VR in modern vr has ever included that and it really surprises me that no one does.

My first toe dip into VR was with the Gear VR and my smartphone, and when I switched over to the Rift CV1 I was like why didn't they add a focal length adjustment? It's entirely possible to do, and it would save me having to always have my contacts in when I play VR, and would spare glasses wearers the headaches of trying to either squeeze their frames into the headset or buy new lenses. I wonder if there's a liability thing somewhere that says the manufacturer could be liable for eye damage from people who aren't optometrists trying to set their own "prescription" on their VR headset.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

King Vidiot posted:

I wonder if there's a liability thing somewhere that says the manufacturer could be liable for eye damage from people who aren't optometrists trying to set their own "prescription" on their VR headset.

No. It’s just a lot of complexity and cost and fragility in an already complex product, for which there is a pretty reasonable alternative like “wear the contacts or glasses you usually wear”.

Eye damage from having things be out of focus would be a problem if that were a thing that could happen, I suppose. It’s not going to damage your eyes to wear the headset without your contacts in either.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My dad is a big flight sim guy, I was thinking about getting him an hmd for the new one instead of him trying to run a triple monitor setup. How finicky is the quest tethering? Should I try to source a rift s? Does the new FS game even have vr support?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

My dad is a big flight sim guy, I was thinking about getting him an hmd for the new one instead of him trying to run a triple monitor setup. How finicky is the quest tethering? Should I try to source a rift s? Does the new FS game even have vr support?

I have a similar question about what's a good vr hmd for flight sims and some mild VRing. If the biggest negative for the reverb g2 seems to be the tracking and controls, then that should be a good place to start right? Or is occulus still a great value as long as you can stomach using a facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Sent my Quest 2 back yesterday. I bought it primarily so I could work out with Thrill of the Fight in the backyard, but the lighting requirements are so specific that it's just not at all worth it for my situation. Came home from work Friday night, and tried to play it, but it was too dark, even with the flood light, and when I tried to play it again Saturday afternoon, it was too bright outside. Really bummed me out.