Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I killed a man in Reno, just to eat some fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Is this true? It sounds like something that could only happen in a lovely third world country filled with illiterate science-rejecting morons who value money more than life.

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1327046966279348225

1 out of every 378 Americans in a single week.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when there was an outbreak of a deadly infectious disease in Alaska and people actually gave a poo poo?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

What if these tweets aren't real? :smug:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why start a war to deal with your surplus poor youth problem when a plague will do the job for you from the comfort of your own country?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This really was the perfect storm of poo poo, to have a pandemic come through the US with gently caress face in charge, ready to let it get as bad as possible.

biden is already basically promising to change nothing

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/11/lock-yourself-down-now/617106/?utm_source=feed

This Article From Today posted:

...will not be enough when they finally arrive, probably toward the end of this year when we have 150,000 positive cases a day, and still rising...

I wonder how pessimistic this author thought he was being when he wrote this?

[edit: christ me read bad]

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 15, 2020

Man With Scissor
Mar 18, 2008

AnnoyBot posted:

This article was published yesterday. The author is saying since we're already at 150k daily cases, 300k doses by end of year will not be much help.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

eggyolk posted:

Is this true? It sounds like something that could only happen in a lovely third world country filled with illiterate science-rejecting morons who value money more than life.

Jokes on you. Many lovely third world countries with dubious literacy are handling this better.

It's probably because even a two-bit autocrat realizes that when poo poo hits the fan and their health system collapses there will be unrest that will end with them being couped and/or lynched.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Z the IVth posted:

Jokes on you. Many lovely third world countries with dubious literacy are handling this better.

It's probably because even a two-bit autocrat realizes that when poo poo hits the fan and their health system collapses there will be unrest that will end with them being couped and/or lynched.

unlike the USA, where the police are so ridiculously overfunded that the rich / ruling class are permanently insulated from anything that could ever be considered a consequence for anything

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

It's really too bad that the United States sowed doubt among their population by giving them syphilis presented as vaccines for 40 entire years. What's that r word for what you do after you sow?

tRump

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

eggyolk posted:

So if every two week you double... how long to total spread in the US? Four months?

empty whippet box posted:

unlike the USA, where the police are so ridiculously overfunded that the rich / ruling class are permanently insulated from anything that could ever be considered a consequence for anything

The modern day elite will be coming out of this feeling extremely empowered, and things will get much, much worse for the average american as a result. The financial oppresion is going to absolutely explode. You think the gig economy is bad? Wait for its sequel. I'm ready to bet on this.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

eggyolk posted:

I mean, I knew Strugis was going to be bad but I didn't think it was going to be crumble-society-as-we-know-it in the midwest bad.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Another Bill posted:

I mean, I knew Strugis was going to be bad but I didn't think it was going to be crumble-society-as-we-know-it in the midwest bad.

Let's just consider that sturgis was 250K people travelling.

Apparently, > 50 million americans normally travel for Thanksgiving. MOST ARE STILL PLANNING TO TRAVEL.

With higher positivity rates.

With higher exposure to vulnerable populations.

Amazing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

empty whippet box posted:

I mean if they want to live in a fortress they still have to pay for it themselves and hire private guards, at least for now.

They're untouchable because modern law is a question of having the most expensive lawyers fighting over the most spurious technicalities, and because no one is seriously pushing for a non-nonviolent resistance.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Blitter posted:

Let's just consider that sturgis was 250K people travelling.

Apparently, > 50 million americans normally travel for Thanksgiving. MOST ARE STILL PLANNING TO TRAVEL.

With higher positivity rates.

With higher exposure to vulnerable populations.

Amazing.
Yeah, Wifezwang and I are stocking up on nonperishables again and are holing ourselves up for the next 2+ months. We are not traveling and neither are our families, but suffice to say that the baseline probability of bumping into an infected person in the grocery store or whatever is going to be a lot higher for quite some time. Thanksgiving is just the beginning too since we have a whole holiday season coming up when people (again, not us) are going to be gathering indoors.

Biden's gonna take office during a poo poo hurricane with the way things are going.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Why start a war to deal with your surplus poor youth problem when a plague will do the job for you from the comfort of your own country?

Jokes on them, it mostly kills Olds

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
this is a little series i'm starting, i'm collecting them from my town's facebook page comments

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Except they won't wear a mask or social distance either.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Restrictions should be forcefully policed and these conspiracy groups actively suppressed IMO.

If we can go full pinkerton on unions and ~suspected communists~ I don't see why we can't black bag these fucks too, since they are actual threats to national security.

This would require the US to have police who follow orders though so lol at that

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Texas AG who has been under indictment for....how long now? Years?

The very same. :texas:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

AnnoyBot posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/11/lock-yourself-down-now/617106/?utm_source=feed

[edit: christ me read bad]

These articles probably have the same (non-)effect as those "we gotta reverse global warming RIGHT NOW or we're loving doomed"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This really was the perfect storm of poo poo, to have a pandemic come through the US with gently caress face in charge, ready to let it get as bad as possible.

I don't disagree with this statement, but even if Biden ws president when it happened, the same people would be going all "buuuutt mah freedumz"!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

wesleywillis posted:

I don't disagree with this statement, but even if Biden ws president when it happened, the same people would be going all "buuuutt mah freedumz"!

Oh they'll turn it up 100% once Biden actually acts like a leader and does something about this.

It absolutely was the perfect storm with Trump in power though. The ONLY thing he did positive was create the task force, who did nothing. He funneled a bunch of money into companies who had no business making PPE and the vaccines that are coming out weren't given any Warp Speed money.

Now... he absolutely, actively did extreme harm by not only ignoring it (that would have been better even) but he told everyone it was perfectly safe.

He's a piece of poo poo and I can't tell you how much horrible pain and suffering I wish upon him.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 15, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh they'll turn it up 100% once Biden actually acts like a leader and does something about this.

It absolutely was the perfect storm with Trump in power though. The ONLY thing he did positive was create the task force, who did nothing. He funneled a bunch of money into companies who had no business making PPE and the vaccines that are coming out weren't given any Warp Speed money.

Now... he absolutely, actively did extreme harm by not only ignoring it (that would have been better even) but he told everyone it was perfectly safe.

He's a piece of poo poo and I can't tell you how much horrible pain and suffering I wish upon him.

Yeah, see, this is what I'm talking about; it might be too late for Biden to do anything meaningful, but at least he likely wouldn't have done SO much damage when the pandemic first hit.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I think we’ve discussed here about Orange County, CA being a festering hellhole of anti-mask mouth breathers before. Huntington Beach is like the Florida of the West Coast (no offense), and even places like Irvine, which try to present themselves as a decent if sterile place, had a huge rally yesterday. Took over a big regional park and were protesting to take off the masks and breathe the fresh (totally not infected) air.

We deserve to go back to Purple Tier next week.

With all the Thanksgiving travel in two weeks I fully expect a national lockdown by Christmas. Which still won’t stop people from traveling then either.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

wesleywillis posted:

The US had a pandemic response unit whose sole task was to identify potential outbreaks and devise a strategy for first step responses before poo poo got the chance to hit the fan. Trump disbanded it, and the federal government actively overrode measures made on state and city levels to contain the spread.

Trump very actively did everything he could to increase the spread and hamper the response. A president who did absolutely nothing whatsoever in response to Covid-19 would have been a significant improvement.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
A friend of a friend is a health inspector in a collar county of Chicago. She told us to expect Gov. Pritzker to issue a statewide lockdown on Wednesday. There are COVID positive waitstaff showing up at the restaurants/bars they work at and getting them shut down left, right and center, who were open IN DEFIANCE of the Governor's region-wide restrictions. I loving hate everyone.

Off to the grocery store to horde TP I guess.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

short of giving the national guard authority to shoot anyone in the street what can a president even do? remember when we were all locked down and they were debating on if we should lift it yet and then Georgia govenor leeroy jenkins the reopening of their state? which made every state follow suit. presidents can dictate to states but they have to listen. obama couldnt even stop the bathroom bill. nc was going to accept the federal funding cut until a ton of buisness deals were going sideways over it. then the govenor accepted obamas terms. and just lol if you think you can get bezos or any other ceo to gently caress up a deal with a state to make them lock down.

also ga abortion bill passed because hollywood is spineless and didnt actually shut down all production and start moving it. remember when the nfl of all things got georgia to back down on some dumb bullshit by threatening to move the super bowl.

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 15, 2020

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
my uncle works at nintendo

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

other people posted:

in person? Jfc what is wrong with these people

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WaryWarren posted:

A friend of a friend is a health inspector in a collar county of Chicago. She told us that to expect Gov. Pritzker to issue a statewide lockdown on Wednesday.

Off to the grocery store to horde TP I guess.
Meanwhile in Central Illinois...

https://www.facebook.com/100000572602057/posts/3995697687125945/

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

ISU

I
Screwed
Up

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Jesus Christ.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I wonder why we're #3 on the NYT list

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Repost for those of us without Facebook accounts?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

It's just a tightly packed bar that would have looked normal in 2019 but was actually from last night.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

snergle posted:

short of giving the national guard authority to shoot anyone in the street what can a president even do?

I honestly have no idea. Plus the GOP will pull a Wisconsin and just shut down any measure taken to help the country because they're absolute human scum. No other reason of course.

Biden can make a national mask mandate but who is going to enforce it? Hell, we've seen sheriffs departments openly defy governors' orders. Who's going to stop them?

I have no answers here. I don't know what our actual leader (finally) will be able to do. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Big rave in a small venue. No masks, naturally.

other people posted:

I'm an uncle and worked at Nintendo. :colbert:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lol. Bloomington.

Insert Normal joke here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How do you guys think you guys (the US) will go in the coming months/year? Will you be able get it under control.. at all? Will the warmer months be the target to really start making changes?

Seeing the carnage everywhere is surreal, considering I'm in Queensland Australia where it's close to back to normal now.

And Vanuatu now has some cases :(