Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's almost like making threads impossible to find is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m sure it was a real cute inside joke at some point, but yea it’s dumb. I found the thread by looking through the old ME3 thread and found a link. I even Googled “mass effect mega thread something awful” and saw this thread title and thought “ugh, probably a joke thread about video game food and blue space food.”

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Something something quariansweat.txt

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mymla posted:

It's almost like making threads impossible to find is a bad idea.

nah I like the thread being about gamer food. Gamer food is more memorable than ME:A's storyline.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps we should make a new thread then. After all, there's new Mass Effect info, a remaster of the OG trilogy and a new ME game, so it's just goons being goons why we have this dumb thread name.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Make an actual gamer food thread and title it mass effect

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

hobbesmaster posted:

Make an actual gamer food thread and title it mass effect

There’s a group of foods that shouldn’t exist.

Delicious and satisfying, but very unhealthy.

Eating this food all the time will result in a variety of health issues, most noticeably rapid and sustained weight gain.

Doctors call it morbid obesity.

Gamers call it.....

MASS EFFECT (sunrise peeks around a fat belly)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
was me1 the only installment with an opening crawl

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

was me1 the only installment with an opening crawl

Didn't ME:A have one?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
ME2 has a literal opening crawl during the awful collectors attack intro :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

orcane posted:

ME2 has a literal opening crawl during the awful collectors attack intro :v:

the intro was good though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 2's first hour is probably the best opening 60 minutes of any video game I've ever played. Immediately you know everything about the main campaign, how the antagonists pose an immediate threat, who the major characters will be, and get to do some Mass Effecting over two fun quick intro missions. It's just an amazing and perfectly paced hour with that special blend of character, story, and action that makes Mass Effect so unique.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can think of a few games to challenge that notion. The first two Halo games for very different reasons. Homeworld. Doom 2016.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 2's first hour is probably the best opening 60 minutes of any video game I've ever played. Immediately you know everything about the main campaign, how the antagonists pose an immediate threat, who the major characters will be, and get to do some Mass Effecting over two fun quick intro missions.

The intro oddly makes less sense if you played ME1

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The enormous leap in quality from ME1 to ME2 doesn't make much sense, I agree!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
old thread favorite point of contention: they kill shep. they resurrect her---which is a miracle even in mass effect land. all just to have a flimsy excuse to join cerberus, and (i think) never again bring up the fact that she's basically robo jesus

in me2. not counting dlc.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's nothing perfectly paced about the slow walk through exploding spaceship, introduction of the pointless collectors, forced death of Shepard (and its subsequent resurrection) all contrived to make you work with the literal Space Nazis because Mac Walters got harder the more powerful his favourite character got (~The Illusive Man~, all powerful mastermind of the galaxy to eventually rival all the other interstellar civilizations), and then you get to the Citadel and everyone's all "lol reapers were a hoax gently caress off dead person" and of course that seals it, you HAVE TO work with the literal Space Nazis. Because you owe them!

But mostly I meant the chase cutscene and slow-walk through the ship every time you restart the game, which is unskippable until the real gameplay starts.

hobbesmaster posted:

The intro oddly makes less sense if you played ME1
That is very true, yeah. Although, if you made the mistake of reading any of the books/comics that came out between the games that was kinda expected I guess?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
just like old times :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

just like old times :allears:
Your post popped up when I was previewing the post and I wasn't going to throw it all away :haw:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Can't wait to play as the Pathfinder™ and explore more planets where people already live

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

Can't wait to play as the Pathfinder™ and explore more planets where people already live
That was the best part about MEA besides the cargo cult-ish import of all the "fan favourites" from the Milky Way.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Eating this food all the time will result in a variety of health issues, most noticeably rapid and sustained weight gain.

Gamers call it.....

Make this the op pls

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Chad Jihad posted:

Pathfinder we already live on this planet but it's a bit cold/hot/acidic

fix it so it's warmer/cooler/baser

no you won't notice a difference lol

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
thank you based Pathfinder

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Most gamers need to try being a BATHfinder once in a while am I rite?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Moola posted:

thank you based Pathfinder

gently caress

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TheCenturion posted:

Gamers call it.....

The only alternative thread title I would accept.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I truly hope that BioWare have the balls to double down on the Andromeda galaxy. Make it 1000 years later; more arks came through with the cool species, and we can expand out of helius cluster so we can meet more andromeda species aside from the Angaran. There is so much drat potential in the new galaxy and I want to see it realized. Just because Andromeda is a mediocre game doesn’t mean the actually premise is poor, I think the premise is awesome.

They can even do more with the Remnant. Again, there’s so much potential there. We already have another Citadel in the Nexus, so it’d still basically be a reboot anyway.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rinkles posted:

old thread favorite point of contention: they kill shep. they resurrect her---which is a miracle even in mass effect land. all just to have a flimsy excuse to join cerberus, and (i think) never again bring up the fact that she's basically robo jesus

It comes up a little when Shep meets with Wrex again.

"You look well for dead, Shepard."

Wrex just kind of assumed that Shepard would come back from the dead because, really. Not like anything could keep Shepard down before.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Again, there’s so much potential there.

there really really isn't

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Rinkles posted:

Shepard was always going to die in the ME2 intro, even when the geth were going to be the ones who resurrected them instead of Cerberus

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That would have been cooler

E: and more thematically relevant

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the core conflict of ME2 is the battle for Shepard's soul, which puts the clicky robots at a bit of a disadvantage

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Legion being a gamer who was leet like Jeff K ruled, thanks for the reminder

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Moola posted:

there really really isn't

How is there no potential in a new galaxy unexplored and with all our old favorite species back in? It becomes no different than the Milky Way at that point and loses the baggage of Shepard.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

How is there no potential in a new galaxy unexplored and with all our old favorite species back in? It becomes no different than the Milky Way at that point and loses the baggage of Shepard.

Because the Milky Way is unexplored. And what was explored was mostly not shown in game. Anything that is beyond the characters, Meridian and the angaran can be added more easily to the Milky Way than Andromeda.

Also if Andromeda is so great why bring more Milky Way species?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Lt. Danger posted:

Shepard was always going to die in the ME2 intro, even when the geth were going to be the ones who resurrected them instead of Cerberus

wow why do I keep finding out the series had awesome ideas like the dark matter connection and now this that were just dropped altogether in favor of schlock?
:thunk:

kilus aof posted:

Because the Milky Way is unexplored. And what was explored was mostly not shown in game. Anything that is beyond the characters, Meridian and the angaran can be added more easily to the Milky Way than Andromeda.

gently caress it: set it so far in the future that the milky way and andromeda have collided. :shrug:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

kilus aof posted:

It’s never that Andromeda was great, it’s that it’s less explored and has more potential. We bring over the other species because 1. That was the original intent and 2. It keeps us rooted in the familiar.

The only way I see the Milky Way working is if it’s like 1,000 years in the future and the mass relays or an alternative are repaired.

But truthfully; I just want a really good game again. I’ll be hoping for something similar to ME2, but will settle for anything nearly as good as DA: I, which I’m a big fan of.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

It’s never that Andromeda was great, it’s that it’s less explored and has more potential. We bring over the other species because 1. That was the original intent and 2. It keeps us rooted in the familiar.

The only way I see the Milky Way working is if it’s like 1,000 years in the future and the mass relays or an alternative are repaired.

But truthfully; I just want a really good game again. I’ll be hoping for something similar to ME2, but will settle for anything nearly as good as DA: I, which I’m a big fan of.

They'll never do it now, but my dream ME4 is a prequel starring Anderson and Saren which ends with Anderson's botched mission that ended his Spectre shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They'll never do it now, but my dream ME4 is a prequel starring Anderson and Saren which ends with Anderson's botched mission that ended his Spectre shot.

That’s literally the plot of the first novel.