Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cobalt-60 posted:

Are the Northern regions just particularly lovely, or is this whole world a crapsack world?
They've been at war for a decade, so the economy is super hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Northern Kingdoms have also been going through a bit of a political upheaval in the decades prior to the games, notably with Redania and Kaedwen becoming a lot more expansionist and swallowing up small duchies and minor kingdoms to consolidate power. And then Temeria became a sudden superpower after the second Nilfgaard war while Aedirn lost influence.

Nilfgaard managed to consolidate power fast to build their empire, but the North has four (or five if you count Poviss/Kovir playing everyone off each other) major powers all vying to be the super bloc in the region.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nilfgaard managed to consolidate power fast to build their empire,

The flip side of Nilfgaard expanding so rapidy is that Emhyr's power is a bit shaky. The powerful nobles and guilds back in Nilfgaard aren't very happy with him. Emhyr badly needs a victory in the North and to secure Ciri as heir in order to maintain his legitimacy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cobalt-60 posted:

On to Toussaint, which looks pretty, and promises lots of Gwent. And there's...another gold sink. And MORE armor to blow my money crafting. Is there somewhere people are getting these 20,000+ gold? Cause I loot everything in sight, and I've never gotten more than 10k at any time. Short of looting all 67 smuggler's caches in Skellige, I have no idea where to get it. Plus I like the Duchess; anyone who sentenced Dandelion to death can't be bad. (Was this a reference to previous games? Cause I'd watch that cutscene.)

On the cash side, start selling stuff if you aren't already. Do you have 30+ Essence of Wraith? You need like 3, total, for all decoctions, sell the excess. Alchemy ingredients in general don't bring in a ton of cash individually, but they have no weight and it's easy to forget they're there - and when you have 30 Drowner's Tongues, there's someone willing to buy.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Shooting Blanks posted:

On the cash side, start selling stuff if you aren't already. Do you have 30+ Essence of Wraith? You need like 3, total, for all decoctions, sell the excess. Alchemy ingredients in general don't bring in a ton of cash individually, but they have no weight and it's easy to forget they're there - and when you have 30 Drowner's Tongues, there's someone willing to buy.

I've been selling off any ingredients past 10, in general. I've made every alchemy except the doppler and succubus decoctions, so am I safe in chucking all the others? (I still need to make master/grandmaster armors). Some of the monster parts can be dismantled for crafting parts, so I'm not sure.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cobalt-60 posted:

I've been selling off any ingredients past 10, in general. I've made every alchemy except the doppler and succubus decoctions, so am I safe in chucking all the others? (I still need to make master/grandmaster armors). Some of the monster parts can be dismantled for crafting parts, so I'm not sure.

The main bottlenecks for making master/grandmaster armors, IIRC, are the various ingots/plates (dimeterium, meteor, etc.) and draconid leather/infused slyzard hide. Plus just the costs involved. I don't recall how much of each you'll need, and I don't know if you're trying to get all the sets built. The Succubus and Doppler decoctions are only possible to make if you take the "bad" path in a pair of sidequests, killing a Succubus and a Doppler under morally questionable terms. If you missed those quests, or you already did them without murdering sentient beings, then you don't need to worry about making them. You can mod in the mutagens without a problem too, but it's not a big deal - IIRC, neither one is particularly useful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cobalt-60 posted:

On to Toussaint, which looks pretty, and promises lots of Gwent. And there's...another gold sink. And MORE armor to blow my money crafting. Is there somewhere people are getting these 20,000+ gold? Cause I loot everything in sight, and I've never gotten more than 10k at any time. Short of looting all 67 smuggler's caches in Skellige, I have no idea where to get it. Plus I like the Duchess; anyone who sentenced Dandelion to death can't be bad. (Was this a reference to previous games? Cause I'd watch that cutscene.)

There are a couple of bandit locations, including one in Toussaint, but I cannot recall the location, where a massive swarm of easily killed bandits will show up immediately with expensive weapons, in the open, to fight you. If you don't clear the entire camp, they just come back if you leave and return (camp boss must be a great recruiter). Kind of lame, but I just want back and forth to the same bandit camp and within 60 seconds of stepping into the camp and either Aard-ing them to death or doing the AoE sword-twirl, I would have more high level weapons than I could carry, which could be sold for many hundreds of gold per run. That is a ton faster than hunting down every smuggler cache and you can have a bit of fun with an otherwise tedious job by just killing the bandits in new and different and more grisly ways each time.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Pretty neat thread about Geralt in the books, spoilers for Time of Contempt, though it doesn't go to the details of what happened.

The show's creator really liked the thread too:

https://twitter.com/LHissrich/status/1326165093726425090

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
That's an interesting thread but misses one important detail when criticizing the games. There's a throwaway line in Lady of the Lake that explains that Fringilla Vigo healed what was left of Geralt's injuries while they were staying together in Toussaint, and the injury is never mentioned again after that despite some heavy combat sequences. So, Geralt would not be suffering from his knee injury anymore by the time of the games.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

HelixFox posted:

That's an interesting thread but misses one important detail when criticizing the games. There's a throwaway line in Lady of the Lake that explains that Fringilla Vigo healed what was left of Geralt's injuries while they were staying together in Toussaint, and the injury is never mentioned again after that despite some heavy combat sequences. So, Geralt would not be suffering from his knee injury anymore by the time of the games.

Yep. I also don't recall many elbow complaints past Baptism of Fire. It was mostly the knee. And it's at minimum strongly implied he would have healed fully if he hadn't left Brokilon so soon. He was more not fully healed than disabled imo. I'm glad the reader got some kinship out of that part of the books, but it's more of a point of view than a clear fact about his character. And she kind of lost me with the "disability erasure" complaint.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus it's not like the shitkicking he took from Vilgefortz was the first or last time he'd been left for dead. His injuries in Time of Contempt were far more psychological because he not only got his rear end kicked but he also was left thinking Yen and Ciri were both dead or captured. Dude was an absolute emotional wreck throughout Baptism of Fire and The Tower of the Swallow.

And the games do address that Geralt is getting older and isn't as fast as he used to be. He's tired, and needs a minute here or there as age starts to catch up with him.

I get wanting to see yourself reflected in a character you like. I've got no problem with that if it helps somebody. The erasure comment was still weird though and it's strange to be critical of someone for a perceived insult when you haven't fully researched your argument and found that they do in fact support it in the text.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 10, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think Vesemir mentions Geralt's limp while criticizing his technique after the Griffin hunt. It's been a while since I've played it so I don't remember the exact phrasing.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 10, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Overhead vertical strike, it's the obvious choice!

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Got a new 3070 after rocking a 1060 for years, and drat it feels good to be finally able to play Witcher 3 @ 4k60+fps at max settings :pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Missionary Positron posted:

Got a new 3070 after rocking a 1060 for years, and drat it feels good to be finally able to play Witcher 3 @ 4k60+fps at max settings :pcgaming:

so much hair :pcgaming1:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

HelixFox posted:

At least Berengar in Witcher 1 mentions it, that Geralt leaves an opening in some pirouette move because of the knee injury.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are there multiple english translations of the books, and if so which one should be read?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
there are a couple fan translations out there but the best is probably the official books they sell on amazon with the embarrassing video game art covers. the fan translations are good, really good even, but a lot of them went from polish to french to english so there's a double language gulf there

finished the main story quest, got the best(?) ending, ciri does her thing and then goes off to be a freelance witcher; emhyr took advantage of me helping assassinate radovid and killing djikstra... apologies to the free north but i wasn't going to let him gun down my boys roche and ves right in front of me. i knew it was a trap as soon as djikstra told us to meet at a location he'd secured but i guess you don't get an option to suggest to your friends that you should just ditch him and meet up in velen

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 13, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

White Coke posted:

Are there multiple english translations of the books, and if so which one should be read?

Two people did the English translations. Danusia Stok did The Last Wish, Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt. David French did the rest.

Stok is definitely the weaker of the two translators where its apparent that it is originally in another language. French is overall fine.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the david french translations are sublime

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

there are a couple fan translations out there but the best is probably the official books they sell on amazon with the embarrassing video game art covers.

It's exactly as I feared.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Has anyone had their installation of W3 randomly roll itself back to a different patch? I’ve been replaying it over the past couple of months on patch 1.32 with a few mods, and today a bunch of mods stopped working. I removed them, fired up the game and it’s somehow de-patched itself back to v1.11 - which is Real loving Weird since I last played the game yesterday.

GOG Galaxy thinks I’m on v1.32, and when I verify the installation it just hangs at 3%, trying to download a 2.9 GB patch.

Any ideas? I’m using the GOG version, but not GOTY, and I have no dlc installed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You can download the 1.31 to 1.32 patch on the GOG site, that might work? :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

White Coke posted:

It's exactly as I feared.

Meanwhile the Spanish covers are spectacular.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You can download the 1.31 to 1.32 patch on the GOG site, that might work? :shrug:

Yeah, that was the thing - the game thought it was on v1.11 and apparently couldn't be convinced otherwise! I just ended up completely uninstalling and redownloading the whole game and it seems to work fine now.

I originally installed the game on this machine about a year ago by just copying the game folder from another computer (limited internet suuuucks), so I suspect that's probably what caused the issue. Oh well, at least it's working now.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Just about to finish the books and then finally jump into this for the first time. Is the list of recommended mods on the op still accurate? I don't really care about visuals, so I'll probably go with the oils one and the map markers. Anything else good for a first play through?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

meefistopheles posted:

Just about to finish the books and then finally jump into this for the first time. Is the list of recommended mods on the op still accurate? I don't really care about visuals, so I'll probably go with the oils one and the map markers. Anything else good for a first play through?

Fall damage can be irritating, though I totally abuse no fall damage to yeet geralt off things and save time so ymmv. In general, the vanilla game is already so good mods are not required. There are weird things like any game, and mods that address the most common are out there. So play for a while and then look into mods.

Also we follow along with like every new player now so feel free to keep posting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which means keep the spoilers down for the moment to not ruin anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0BjNRxxqc
Lol.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you’re done with the books, sounds like you’re ready to start with the Witcher 1! 😃

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

meefistopheles posted:

Agree with Woodrow. Play unmodded until you think the things those mods address really matter to you. If you have auto-apply oils, you may never engage with that system or look at the Beastiary. And you'll never notice that you usually don't need oils. My first playthrough, most of the time I forgot I could add an oil for a buff and only used one if I died a couple of times and remembered they are there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

meefistopheles posted:

Honestly, playing Vanilla works great. Unless you're playing on a rather hard difficulty, oils are basically optional, so not having them auto-applied doesn't matter. If there's a particular boss fight, it makes sense to apply the oil, but it's not like you need that small boost every time you're set upon by a random pack of monsters/animals/men.

I can see some stuff with inventory sorting being useful? A lot of the stuff listed in the 2nd post of this thread will make an already easy game a cakewalk. Stuff like being able to jump better or lessened fall damge (I could see playing 1ith 50% or something. Zero fall damage means cartoonishly cartwheeling off of mountains and cliffs.

Go hog wild with aesthetic mods if you like them and they don't break the game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah, a LOT of the mods are from the perspective of someone who has already played the game. On repeat playthroughs, there is far less enjoyment in engaging with the whole mechanic of finding the ingredients for potions and such, or taking the long way around to get somewhere in order to actually experience the game world and explore new places. So it makes sense for us to be able to just jump off cliffs and have oils on the sword all the time, give every merchant cash, etc.

One thing I am conflicted on is removing item durability. I hate it in games on principle, but it does exist as a control on how much cash Geralt has and what things you can just buy vs doing quests to get them, like new swords.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Weapon and armour durability blows. No redeeming qualities at all. Get rid of it. You will never notice the -10 damage or whatever practically, you'll just get bothered by the paper doll on your screen.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Three only two mods I install nowadays are No Fall Damage (Novigrad becomes a whole different playground with it) and the one that adds multiple quest markers to the map. But even then those are totally quality of life choices and the game is beyond playable completely mod-free.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

meefistopheles posted:

You picked a good game for the winter months (assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere), it's very long and very good.

I did a spoiler-free newbie tips post a couple years ago that is stickied in the second post, it might be helpful.

You don't need any mods, it's fine without any but there are some bits that players find annoying (fall damage, weapon durability, carry weight, only the active quest objective is displayed in minimap, etc) you may want to mod. The first zone (White Orchard) is a big tutorial that will show you all the game mechanics and is about 3-5 hours long. I'd recommend playing through White Orchard, then decide which quality of life mods you want. There's nothing broken with the game you need to mod to fix and the graphics are still gorgeous even five and a half years after release. The HD textures mod is decent though.

We recommend not using the fast travel anywhere mod (see thread title). It's dangerous for two reasons. One, it encourages you to ignore the scenery and environmental stuff. There are so many tiny details and little events you'll miss if you just fast travel everywhere. Two, you can break quests badly if you fast travel at the wrong time.

and :justpost: your reactions to the game. especially coming off reading the books you're in for a treat!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

meefistopheles posted:

Get rid of durability, fall damage, and the weight limit. Other than that do w/e sounds nice. Except the fast travel anywhere mod. Don't use that.

Another must have if you like dyes is a mod that makes them cheaper and common. Otherwise you'll barely get to customize your Geralt.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

itry posted:

Another must have if you like dyes is a mod that makes them cheaper and common. Otherwise you'll barely get to customize your Geralt.

:yeah:

playing dressup with Geralt is the best minigame

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There's also a mod that prioritizes using common alcohol to recharge your potions so you don't accidentally lose a White Gull because you took a nap.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

And Tyler Too! posted:

There's also a mod that prioritizes using common alcohol to recharge your potions so you don't accidentally lose a White Gull because you took a nap.

If you take that, make sure to follow the directions; you need to hit F7 to cycle to the alcohol you want to use or you won't use any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Excellent, thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll just skip modding until after white orchard is done I guess. I thought about starting with witcher 1 but frankly reading all the books seems like enough background. I'll definitely post as I go.