Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah there's a difference between simply not liking a movie and hating a movie so much you foam at the mouth with rage and harass the acting/production team about it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

There’s a big difference between not liking a movie and building a huge part of your identity around not liking a movie. I’d guess the majority of people in the latter camp are pretty sexist.

I didn’t particularly care for TLJ but until I just typed that I’m don’t think I’ve ever expressed that opinion to anyone ever - because I’ve never been in a context where anyone gave a poo poo about my opinion on it. Because of that, I think it’s be safe to give me the benefit of the doubt that there are reasons I disliked it that are not “I don’t like watching icky girls get to do stuff!” However, if I literally never shut up about how much I hated it, then yeah, it would be understandable if people questioned my motives.

(For the record, what I disliked about TLJ was how loving depressing it was. The whole thing plays like an extended snuff film for the Resistance.)

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Oh look, lots of comments in the IOSM thread!

Nope, just endless talk about star wars. Never mind.

Have some idiocy:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
All things considered, what Christianity has become over the past 1000 years this macro is actually more true than it ought to be.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Found some more random bits just to make sure the star wars chat doesn't start up again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thank you for saving the thread from the small derail by veering back to the one subject the entire world is sick to death of.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

sugar mouse posted:

Found some more random bits just to make sure the star wars chat doesn't start up again.

I love the fact that boomers will breathlessly post a picture of a fashionable young man smiling and cluck endlessly about how this generation would never have won ww2 because they're so weak and dainty and then completely melt the gently caress down when they're asked to do so, so little.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thank you for saving the thread from the small derail by veering back to the one subject the entire world is sick to death of.

I mean, yeah, currently the idiots on social media are pretty fixated and it's hard to find anything particularly original but if you don't want to see idiots on social media, I'd suggest reading a thread that isn't about idiots on social media.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Filthy Haiku posted:

I love the fact that boomers will breathlessly post a picture of a fashionable young man smiling and cluck endlessly about how this generation would never have won ww2 because they're so weak and dainty and then completely melt the gently caress down when they're asked to do so, so little.
This poster even calls them "trivial demands" which I guess is admitting that wearing a mask and washing your hands is really not asking very loving much.
Also traffic signals are abuse apparently.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Filthy Haiku posted:

I would love to see today’s boomers try to make it a week during actual WW2.

“What!? What do you mean I can’t buy another piece of steak!? This is literally fascism!!!!”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
real talk, with people suddenly thinking the prequels were good:

that started a little before the new trilogy did, and i strongly suspect it has less to do with the new trilogy, and more to do with the fact that people who grew up with the prequels are now teens/adults and capable of putting together thoughts more complex than "pee pee poo poo i farted." resultingly, people who like the prequels are a bigger group than they used to be online.

the new-trilogy hate, following from this, is really just a repeat of what we saw with the prequels: the people who grew up with the last trilogy hate the gently caress out of the one that's going on while they're adults, and see it as an insult to their childhood, because realistically speaking Star Wars didn't really get better or worse so much as they just grew up. poo poo that previously just rolled off them because "hell yeah lightsabers" is now very, very irritating to them, and they can't take their nostalgia goggles off for the old stuff to see that it had the exact same problems.

in 20 years when they make another trilogy, we'll probably have a bunch of people who grew up with Rey and Finn and Poe going ARGLEBARGLE NOT MY STAR WARS at that, just like how people who grew up with Anakin and Obi-Wan are going ARGLEBARGLE NOT MY STAR WARS at the sequels, and people who grew up with Luke and Han and Leia went ARGLEBARGLE NOT MY STAR WARS at the prequels. it's just the circle of life.

e: i legitimately didn't see the "hey let's move on from star wars" stuff, but i feel like i actually added something insightful for once, so meh.

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Nov 15, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel so much better, thank you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

real talk, with people suddenly thinking the prequels were good:

that started a little before the new trilogy did, and i strongly suspect it has less to do with the new trilogy, and more to do with the fact that people who grew up with the prequels are now teens/adults and capable of putting together thoughts more complex than "pee pee poo poo i farted." resultingly, people who like the prequels are a bigger group than they used to be online.

the new-trilogy hate, following from this, is really just a repeat of what we saw with the prequels: the people who grew up with the last trilogy hate the gently caress out of the one that's going on while they're adults, and see it as an insult to their childhood, because realistically speaking Star Wars didn't really get better or worse so much as they just grew up. poo poo that previously just rolled off them because "hell yeah lightsabers" is now very, very irritating to them, and they can't take their nostalgia goggles off for the old stuff to see that it had the exact same problems.

in 20 years when they make another trilogy, we'll probably have a bunch of people who grew up with Rey and Finn and Poe going ARGLEBARGLE NOT MY STAR WARS at that, just like how people who grew up with Anakin and Obi-Wan are going ARGLEBARGLE NOT MY STAR WARS at the sequels, and people who grew up with Luke and Han and Leia went ARGLEBARGLE NOT MY STAR WARS at the prequels. it's just the circle of life.

I see, the only way to stop this cycle of violence is to abolish all Star Wars, including retroactively.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

The prequels are goodbad. They're a lot of fun to watch imo. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Boy I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

I see, the only way to stop this cycle of violence is to abolish all Star Wars, including retroactively.

honestly, i think it's fine as a thing for kids. and they're decent enough movies that going back to the ones you grew up with isn't gonna make you hate yourself.

but... there should probably just be a general societal rule that if new star wars comes out in your adulthood, you should probably stay away from it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just watched The Last Starfighter and wow that movie is way better and more fun than I remember

It should have been the Star Wars successor it wanted to be

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If we're just dropping prequel opinions, I liked the scenes with Ian McDiarmid, Ewan McGregor and sir Christopher Lee. Possibly I watched them at an age where a Scottish/RP accent were my personal rubric for good acting; I will not rewatch them to explore this.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

letthereberock posted:

I would love to see today’s boomers try to make it a week during actual WW2.

“What!? What do you mean I can’t buy another piece of steak!? This is literally fascism!!!!”

They literally ran out into the street with guns crying that they couldn't get haircuts. Rationing would have destroyed these sad fucks

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Boy I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars.

Star Wars
Huh
What are they good for?
Absolutely nuthin
Say it again

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Oooh, Star Wars chat. Finally something I can participate in.

https://twitter.com/markseverett/status/1328065115946688524

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Can someone please make a gif of that scene in Jurassic Park where after Malcolm talks about chaos theory in the Jeep, Sattler does the whoosh thing with her hand as the whole discussion just goes over her head.

I feel like we need that as a reaction gif a lot.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

dialhforhero posted:

Can someone please make a gif of that scene in Jurassic Park where after Malcolm talks about chaos theory in the Jeep, Sattler does the whoosh thing with her hand as the whole discussion just goes over her head.

I feel like we need that as a reaction gif a lot.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Coincidentally I just took a bunch of allergy meds yesterday and hallucinated that someone made a big budget film adaptation of Cats with James Corden, Jason Derulo and Taylor Swift. Those things will eff you up.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Are you sure you're not buying lsd meds rather than allergy meds?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I have taken a variety of recreational drugs and I have never been as hosed up as when I took over-the-counter cough medicine at the recommended dose but wasn't able to sleep. It's wild.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

replace aoc with ilhan omar and this unironically

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just noticed "secret servant agents"

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Is it ok to dislike the new starwars because they pushed finn into the background, made poe practically a villain, and ruined anything interesting they may have been doing with rey by unnecessarily making her a palpatine, and also they made kylo way too old for the type of character they were trying to make him. And wasting hux and phasma... man, idk, i think the annoying part of those movies isnt that theyre "bad" its that they had a lot of good potential they squandered partly by not keeping a consistent team throughout writing/directing.

The prequels were just bad and potential-free, and I saw them as a child. Child me was not enamored by the gross poo poo or the awkward romance or boring political poo poo. The only thing they squandered was cool character designs and good actors. And they spawned the clone wars cartoons which were both 100x better than the movies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/morgan_murphy/status/1328023212014198785

OP not idiot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I scrolled into the comments

https://twitter.com/zkim229/status/1328170380155002880?s=20

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
White people...loving white people man
https://twitter.com/ObamaClintonDem/status/1327061811506671617?s=20
https://twitter.com/raising_hill/status/1327057123050708994?s=20

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Go Bob! You got this!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheFrankOzJam/status/1327780065904652288?s=19

Imagine making Star Wars the most important aspect of your identity only to have Yoda show up to tell you to gently caress off.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Man, when Frank Oz tells you, you got loving TOLD.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wouldn't that be "Told, you got."?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

Man, when Frank Oz tells you, TOLD you loving got.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Now that's one FRANK Oz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
https://twitter.com/byronkaye/status/1327926188510068738?s=20

A well known Australian celebrity chef just outed himself as a Neo-Nazi. He's been making gradual steps in destroying his career with his batshit craziness including almost publishing a cookbook with a baby food recipe that would have killed babies, telling AUSTRALIANS that sunscreen was bad for them and insisting that a lava lamp he was paid shitloads to promote could cure Corona but I'm hoping this is the thing that finally buries him.

I guess we'll see though, being a total racist in Australia is sometimes beneficial for your career after all :sweatdrop: