Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

tuo posted:

very close, but at the same time quite a bit away from the truth

Just finished, and yep that pretty much sums it up. Every little twist has a bigger one hiding behind it. I loved it overall, and as everyone else has said it has no business holding together as well as it does. If I had one criticism to make it would be that not all the stories feel equally important (Nenji's being a victim of development issues makes a lot of sense) and not all the characters are equally well developed (*cough* Gouto) but that'd be a pretty big ask given that there are in fact 13 of them. Some of the route endings were a bit abrupt but some of them I found genuinely moving like Juro, Megumi, Ryoko and the final ending struck a really good balance between putting a bow on things and leaving stuff up to the imagination.

It's a shame this had to come out in the middle of a pandemic during the PS4's dying days, I haven't seen it getting nearly as much love as it should :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Gato posted:

It's a shame this had to come out in the middle of a pandemic during the PS4's dying days, I haven't seen it getting nearly as much love as it should :smith:

I've been holding off for some sort of discount or coupon because it's been HARD to justify paying $60 for it when the action portions are so limited. But then I saw a Youtube video that said the sales have been terrible in the west and some part of me feels guilty for not helping out a bit.

Anyone know anyway to get it less than full price (besides PS+)? If not, I'll probably break down and grab it, even though it and Yakuza in the same week are a pretty nasty ding to the wallet.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well. That was a loving trip. Glad I paid $60 for it because it’s almost assuredly gonna sell like poo poo since you can’t really tell someone how good it is very well since the game’s semi-linear generally open story presentation kinda works against it. It feels good to support niche games sometimes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Cross posting from the chat thread, but I'm liking this a lot. It's so hard to put it down since there's a new shocking development every 20 minutes. I would love to see some kind of documentary on how they built and planned out the story. I'm also liking the combat a lot more than I thought. It seemed pretty easy, and then I got to 1-8, and then suddenly the game started chugging because there were so many enemies. :stare:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Xarbala posted:

I'm still thinking about that song and that level.

It was so nostalgically Macross it nearly moved me to tears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oq9utTsAMg

:allears:

That moment/fight was magical

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A couple weeks back i ran across this tweet, completely devoid of context.
https://twitter.com/thaliarchus/status/1320523525879418885?s=20

After doing an image search to find out what the hell it even was, i looked around a bit online, found this thread and decided it was time to buy a new game, pretty much blindly. And man, i'm so glad i did. What a wild ride start to finish.

While i'm not sure every part of the whole thing can withstand super close scrutiny, overall the whole was so enjoyable that i don't mind, even a little. As the game pressed on i started to wonder if the constant barrage of revelations would become exhausting, but in the end it didn't. Sometimes the characters' motivations and actions would edge right up to the line of breaking my suspension of disbelief or crossing over into annoyance, but they never quite did. Even the combat levels which i wasn't overly fond of at first, stopped feeling like a minor chore and i was really looking forward to what the final battle was going to bring as the stories started wrapping up. My only real complaint about the whole thing is (character discussion spoilers) it could have been a little gayer . But overall i loved it to bits. Hell i was practically cheering as things started hitting 100% and the stories end with that swipe across START and some amazing sound design as the Sentinels 'port in

Xarbala posted:

I'm still thinking about that song and that level.

It was so nostalgically Macross it nearly moved me to tears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oq9utTsAMg

I was so convinced that the last fight would involve that song coming in faintly over the soundtrack as she got closer, until it was blasting full force as she came back into range that all the crazy poo poo that did actually happen was a teeny, tiny bit disappointing.

a couple random other things:
this

Selane posted:

also making Miura say "hemborger" 350,000 times

and also this

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

fake edit: I lied, my real biggest complaint with this game is that there's no Miwako DLC where she gets in a robot

Monkeyman1138
Sep 4, 2004
Is this game worth it if you don't like/are no good at strategy games/tower defence? Big fan of twisty visual novels (Love Ace Attorney/VLR series/428 Shibuya) but absolutely suck at strategy, will I be able to muddle through those parts?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Monkeyman1138 posted:

Is this game worth it if you don't like/are no good at strategy games/tower defence? Big fan of twisty visual novels (Love Ace Attorney/VLR series/428 Shibuya) but absolutely suck at strategy, will I be able to muddle through those parts?

Yes. There's only one map in the entire game that's really any difficult at all, and I got through most missions by spamming sentries. You can also just play on the easiest difficulty to breeze through even harder, there aren't even trophies linked to difficulty. Even if you don't like those missions, as long as you pace yourself, do a couple at a time and don't save them all for when you hit a plot block, you won't overdose on the strategy levels.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Absolutely! I am god drat terrible at all strategy games and got through on normal without much issue (a couple losses is all), but there's a story mode for the fights just for people who aren't interested in them. I expected to flip over to it, but a little surprisingly, never did.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 18, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Monkeyman1138 posted:

If you put the strategy thing on the easiest difficulty you can pretty much do anything at all and still win, it’s very much tuned to be the “I just want to see the story” mode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I suck at strategy and S ranked everything on normal first go, it's not a difficult game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Some of the difficulty, if you want to call it that, revolves around the bonus objectives and cool down system where you’re restricted to having certain units in your squad. There’s a button to bypass all of that at the cost of losing your score multiplier, which hardly even mattered on normal difficulty much less casual.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm 70% of the way through and this game... is good.

I might be a weirdo but I'd actually prefer it if the game forced me to go to Destruction to unlock stuff more often.

Also the bit where you do a relatively dull scene from one character's perspective, and then from another character and something is different is a very good scene. You have hints before hand and then that confirms it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Arist posted:

Yes. There's only one map in the entire game that's really any difficult at all, and I got through most missions by spamming sentries. You can also just play on the easiest difficulty to breeze through even harder, there aren't even trophies linked to difficulty. Even if you don't like those missions, as long as you pace yourself, do a couple at a time and don't save them all for when you hit a plot block, you won't overdose on the strategy levels.

Does the postgame count as part of the game? Because poo poo gets real there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I imagine the postgame as being just everyone taking a break from their responsibilities to play videogames and that's very relatable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Disc is on sale on amazon and gamestop,, if anyone was waiting for that sort of thing to try this out

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1330607414593298433?s=19

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Embarrassingly I got all the way to like, 2-2 before I realised I could upgrade the MetaSystem in the customise menu which meant I only caught up in Mystery Files at the very end with all the score multipliers.

Anyway I beat the game. Game good! Although yeah it's clear the story had some cuts.

I need to go to Casual just to S-rank 3-10 and get that final file.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Also on sale digitally now for 30% off in case you want to be able to download it now and download it later on your PS5 and hate discs like I do.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Holy poo poo this game is fantastic and needs more love.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Knowing nothing about the game going in my expectations were more than surpassed here, the stories great and the voice acting is top notch. Out of the stuff I've played I put Virtues Last Reward was the best and most batshit and I would put this right behind that. My only complaint is I felt it was a bit front loaded because after the initial WTF moments it leveled out for a long time then they had some big twists at the end that I already figured out so it wasn't very shocking. Big Spoiler I was disappointed that the whole raison d'etre behind the kaiju and inevitable apocalypse was merely "It's a game lol" like that's it?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheMopeSquad posted:

Knowing nothing about the game going in my expectations were more than surpassed here, the stories great and the voice acting is top notch. Out of the stuff I've played I put Virtues Last Reward was the best and most batshit and I would put this right behind that. My only complaint is I felt it was a bit front loaded because after the initial WTF moments it leveled out for a long time then they had some big twists at the end that I already figured out so it wasn't very shocking. Big Spoiler I was disappointed that the whole raison d'etre behind the kaiju and inevitable apocalypse was merely "It's a game lol" like that's it?

That's only half of it. It being a game is the reason why the kaiju work the way they do, but the reason for the attack is that 2188 Ryoko intentionally reinserted the D-code because she thinks it would be better if humans died out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Honestly the whole game code thing isn't as like plot important as you might think. It largely just contextualises the game mechanics in destruction mode and explains how they work in setting in a vaguely meta way. It's why the sentinels have an upgrade system or why the Kaiju get stronger as you progress through destruction mode but it's not why the plot is happening or why Kaiju are attacking or anything. It's kinda weird though because I feel that reveal is treated with more weight than 2188 Ryoko's deal.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I mean I definitely got it but with all the layers going on you expect something deeper but it was jokey and anticlimactic.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's probably something they would have expanded on more in the cut content but alas they just ran out of time. For example the D-Key, whatever it is and why ever you would care about it, would have been a natural opportunity

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 26, 2020

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I sure did get a kick out of "what if we could make the kaiju give prizes, you could call them... meta-chips, for instance :v:" bit though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just beat the game. Good game, hemborger, etc etc.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think it's probably something they would have expanded on more in the cut content but alas they just ran out of time. For example the D-Key, whatever it is and why ever you would care about it, would have been a natural opportunity

I feel like my biggest takeaway from Ogata's route was that maybe Okino could've actually done something with the key that would've made it easier to save humanity, but we'll never know because the way they treated Ogata as a means to an end made Ogata not trust them and cut off that line of attack forever. Like, it's almost a tragedy that the person trying the save the world shoots themselves in the foot precisely because they were too ruthless and paranoid. I feel like this probably would've been developed more in an Okino route, if that existed.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 26, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also, who the hell considered even for a second that it might be a good idea for the next generation of humanity to spend their childhoods in WW2 being indoctrinated to give their lives for Imperial Japan? I'm sorry Miura, but no matter how much of a history buff you are that seems like an obviously terrible idea if you think about it even slightly.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Finished it earlier today, it was awesome.

No Mods No Masters posted:

the D-Key, whatever it is and why ever you would care about it,

Once you consider the scenes in their actual order as shown in the archives, you can realize there isn't that much time between Nenji escaping and Okino learning (from 426 IIRC) that incapacitating the current commander just activates the key in another one making it a fruitless endeavor..

My personal favorite post-game realization is I wondered what the reason for that loop being the final one no matter what is, since it's just taken as granted by ms Morimura, but once you go over the mystery files related to the clone facility and terraforming process and do the math it turns out it must be because the facility is breaking down due to reaching the end of its five millenia lifespan, having been looping for that long. So it took them roughly as long as the length of recorded human history to break out of the loop (thematically probably not a coincidence).

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 28, 2020

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/mamegyorai_mini/status/1332524996506263553?s=21

Oh, I want these!!

https://twitter.com/mamegyorai_mini/status/1332525873841328129?s=21

They even have magnets in their hands!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chev posted:

Once you consider the scenes in their actual order as shown in the archives, you can realize there isn't that much time between Nenji escaping and Okino learning (from 426 IIRC) that incapacitating the current commander just activates the key in another one making it a fruitless endeavor..

My personal favorite post-game realization is I wondered what the reason for that loop being the final one no matter what is, since it's just taken as granted by ms Morimura, but once you go over the mystery files related to the clone facility and terraforming process and do the math it turns out it must be because the facility is breaking down due to reaching the end of its five millenia lifespan, having been looping for that long. So it took them roughly as long as the length of recorded human history to break out of the loop (thematically probably not a coincidence).

i don't think that's the case exactly. the way morimura phrased it, Sector 0 only retains the memory data of prior loops' inhabitants for so many iterations before wiping it all out and starting fresh, kind of like emptying the Temp Files when you're cleaning a hard disk. the facility and the simulation can keep going indefinitely, but if another loop was allowed to happen then everyone would be starting completely from scratch, with all the work and toil from people like okino, kurabe/426, and morimura being for naught. ida either wasn't aware of this or so desperate to reunite with tomi that he no longer cared

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oxxidation posted:

the facility and the simulation can keep going indefinitely
No, the mystery files explicitly state the facility was designed to have a five millenia lifespan and is reaching its breaking point, and then in the loop file state that there's been at least 300 16-years loops based on the facility's current state. Since that's at least 4800 years, the implication is obvious.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Big summary of the one year anniversary event with a bunch of the cast

Spoilers abound
https://www.dualshockers.com/13-sentinels-aegis-rim-1st-anniversary-stream/

quote:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim 1st Anniversary Stream Summary: Seiyuu Comments, Character Popularity Poll, Figures, New Manga, Remix OST Album With New Miyuki Inaba Song

Some fun stuff there with the actor's favorite scenes and more

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm stuck with Hijiyama. Someone save me:

Hunting for loose change. I'm supposed to find the cat somewhere, perhaps there's a box involved? I've checked every inch of every area with every keyword and I got nothing. I've reset to the start multiple times. What do?

Nevermind, of course I figure it out right after I post.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 29, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I recently purchased, played and completed the game and I present my thoughts in full below:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A couple people have said but I'm gonna repeat it; it really is like any other grand mystery visual novel except they really do just skip directly to the good bit and keep it going for 40 hours. It just keeps escalating. Somehow every single new detail is some kind of megaton. There are so many. I think this game has all the plot twists, I mean, like, literally, I think every possible plot twist is in this game? We've got time travel, time loops, time paradoxes, AI, AI replacing people, people replacing AI, people from the future, people from the past, the time travel was fake, that guy is only in your head, everything is in a video game, we were actually on the moon all along, we were in VR but could die for real, nanomachines, fake memories, ordinary-sized robots, who were actually people, consciousness transfer, existential dread, existential revenge, space colonies, truman show domes, the inexplicable nudity in the robot being a clue to the plot all along, wondering why they still have glasses in there, still managing to fit in a bunch of life-slice stuff in between all this grand twistery, a time loop within a time loop, a simulation within a simulation, how the gently caress did someone write this--

I want yakisoba-pan now.

Miwa-chan deserved better and possibly canonically got it. Was anyone else getting autistic vibes off of her?

I liked that they made a point of specifically using the phrase "get in the robots".

This is an eleventh hour dark horse but I think I've got a new frontrunner for GotY 2020.

After clearing the first area in Destruction I put the difficulty up to Intense and hoo boy a lot of it is still pretty breezy frankly but good lord can you ever get caught napping if you're not on your toes at all times. The last couple bosses were some serious poo poo. The very final fight is incredible on Intense, it's maybe not so difficult but I think a lot of my thoughts above apply to it all the same, I was going all out the whole time and just barely keeping it together while inflicting Maximum DPS on everything. I am absolutely gonna play the extra missions. I highly recommend going for all S-Ranks on Intense.

I think certain bits of Destruction could stand to be clearer but ultimately it's not really about being some sublime tactics masterpiece. I do think it's a bit nuts how hard it is to check the HP of a given foe and expected damage from an attack. I was also never really clear if the bipeds you could summon with meta-bars were worth it.

I am in love with this game's visuals. And not just because yeah okay it's Vanillaware, looking gorgeous is the least we expect, but, just, it's got this incredible kinetic style you can only get with video games, where the scene is refreshing at 60fps but the animes are all moving at 12fps (I guess we would call this animating on fives?) and it's just so weirdly satisfying to watch in motion. Also they're doing some kind of 3D effect with the parallax, what is that? I get excited every time I see it, for some reason, I don't know exactly what they're doing (warping and rotating layers dynamically?) but it looks good as hell. These guys clearly care about a technically sound game-y presentation and I love how instant and snappy literally every aspect of it is.

I went to buy the soundtrack and excuse me what the gently caress this was a Hitoshi Sakimoto joint the whole time? I never thought that motherfucker would get an entire game past me without me catching on, although man now I know I'm wondering how I missed some of these horn sections. Nice to see that even post-credits they're still able to throw me.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 30, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

vanillaware deserves some kind of award for squeezing everything into this game EXCEPT a cat box

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this game loving slaps, the more I think about it the more impressed i am

a few people said they were disappointed by the reveal that (endgame spoilers DO NOT CLICK) the setting is mostly a computer simulation, but frankly i think the playable cast would all disagree with you. their digital experiences still being meaningful is a major theme of the game imo

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I finished this game and I love it. I absolutely love the scifi stories that Japanese game does, like the zero escape series, ai the somnium files, dangan ronpa and stein;s gate.

I gotta get through robotic;s notes once it goes on sale but are there any more games like this (tend to err more towards visual novel style with puzzle/slower gameplay?) that I may have missed? Would prefer it on vita/ps3/ps4 (or even ps5)

I also have the world is ended to play as well but I don't expect too much out of that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
oh that reminds me

a kitten posted:

I was so convinced that the last fight would involve that song coming in faintly over the soundtrack as she got closer, until it was blasting full force as she came back into range that all the crazy poo poo that did actually happen was a teeny, tiny bit disappointing.

I also expected this and was a little let down by that, although I was pretty okay with what we actually got for that bit; At some point during that fight - I want to say once the 75% dialogue plays - the music shifts into the track from the title screen, which is I think the only other point in the game where it plays

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
https://twitter.com/instant_grat/status/1325814410112331776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm kind of quietly awed at the choice of the word "consider" for thought cloud examination. I don't know why for certain, it doesn't seem that revolutionary an application of language, but somehow it feels inspired? I love the word consider. Consider: consider.

I feel like lots of other games should have things labelled "consider", like any kind of tutorial/reminder popup, like you're wandering around doing action game combos and every now and then an algorithm runs and pops up "consider: XYXXXY" or something. Or you're wandering around the latest open worlder and you reach a base and instead of another arbitrary optional objective you'll take to be mandatory for the Platinum it just says "consider: assassinate 3 enemies from rooftops" and it's never tracked afterwards it's just a little prompt.