Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Good spooky ghost story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I wish the game was slightly more explicit about the crucifix, since it's involved in an objective. Pretty much every other item/objective is reasonably self-explanatory (gently caress sinks) but it's just not intuitive that crucifixes need to be placed on the ground to work. Especially since the game - by design - gives you no feedback at all that a crucifix has actually done its thing. And with the ghosts properly roaming now, crucifixes are substantially less effective protection (and harder to get the optional objective for), so some text in game to explain how you use the crucifix might be fine.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Greader posted:

Yeah, OBS seems like the general recording software of choice these days.

Admittedly, I don't remember exactly the options we had left, especially as the only evidence we had were fingerprints. I wanna say it was spirit, banshee and revenant? Anyhow, figuring we were done and some wild guessing cannot work I started to theorise: A revenant would have caught up with me, it absolutely saw me. A banshee supposedly only goes for one specific person, so it is odd that it switched from going after me to my friend. If there were any other options, I probably had similiar dismissals so I convinced everyone to go with spirit. And somehow, I was actually right! Despite technically only getting a single piece of evidence and getting chainhunted constantly we got the ghost type with a fairly reasonable guess. Too bad one of us died for the info but eh, at least it was not me :v: Felt pretty proud of that since in the past, such a ghost would have had us just go and call it quits before even really trying. That said, considering one of us died and we got like no other optional objectives, this very much was just for the sake of finally "winning" against a turbomurder ghost in the high school

In re: Crucifixes - if the ghost paths over the crucifix while hunting it will stop the hunt. The best way to use them is to chuck one into the rooms on each side of the haunt room, and run into those rooms when the hunt starts so the ghost has to path over the crucifix. Keep in mind there is at least one ghost that ignores crucifixes, and most ghosts have a second method of stopping their hunt.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

TheAnomaly posted:

In re: Crucifixes - if the ghost paths over the crucifix while hunting it will stop the hunt. The best way to use them is to chuck one into the rooms on each side of the haunt room, and run into those rooms when the hunt starts so the ghost has to path over the crucifix. Keep in mind there is at least one ghost that ignores crucifixes, and most ghosts have a second method of stopping their hunt.

This is almost entirely wrong and why I think the game needs to explicitly explain how crucifixes work, as it can be difficult for people to understand how crucifixes operate.

- Crucifixes do absolutely nothing when a hunt is in progress. Once a hunt has begun, that's it, the crucifix can't save you. Crucifixes do not end hunts. This is because:
- What crucifixes do is block a hunt from starting. If the ghost is standing within a certain radius of a crucifix when it attempts to start a hunt, the crucifix (silently) stops the hunt from occurring. This radius is larger for banshees.
- This is based on where the ghost itself happens to be located. The ghost is invisible most of the time so you can't easily get an exact fix on its physical location - tools like the motion / IR light sensors can help you track the ghost's movement but there's really nothing you can do if you, say, place a crucifix in the doorway to a room and the ghost decides to start a hunt while standing in the far corner, outside the crucifix's range.
- All ghosts have absolutely zero issues walking over crucifixes to murder the gently caress out of you once a hunt starts.
- Most ghosts do not have a way to interrupt their hunt early.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Olesh posted:

This is almost entirely wrong and why I think the game needs to explicitly explain how crucifixes work, as it can be difficult for people to understand how crucifixes operate.

- Crucifixes do absolutely nothing when a hunt is in progress. Once a hunt has begun, that's it, the crucifix can't save you. Crucifixes do not end hunts. This is because:
- What crucifixes do is block a hunt from starting. If the ghost is standing within a certain radius of a crucifix when it attempts to start a hunt, the crucifix (silently) stops the hunt from occurring. This radius is larger for banshees.
- This is based on where the ghost itself happens to be located. The ghost is invisible most of the time so you can't easily get an exact fix on its physical location - tools like the motion / IR light sensors can help you track the ghost's movement but there's really nothing you can do if you, say, place a crucifix in the doorway to a room and the ghost decides to start a hunt while standing in the far corner, outside the crucifix's range.
- All ghosts have absolutely zero issues walking over crucifixes to murder the gently caress out of you once a hunt starts.
- Most ghosts do not have a way to interrupt their hunt early.

This is my experience with crucifixes as well.

Are there actually specific ways to interrupt a hunt, other than death.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I think smudge sticks can for one ghost, but if you use them for the others the ghost can't see you for an extra few seconds if you light it in hunt mode

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I remember that generally throwing the crucifix in the middle of the haunt room is pretty good at nailing its first couple hunts, as the ghost usually fucks around in proximity to said room.

An extra important note is that the crucifix can only stop 2 hunts. Once it has, the crucifix disappears, and you can bet by then the ghost is pissed and will start again shortly.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 12, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stevefin posted:

I think smudge sticks can for one ghost, but if you use them for the others the ghost can't see you for an extra few seconds if you light it in hunt mode

This is correct, though the range on the smudge sticks is a bit weird. I think it's Yurei that actually get delayed significantly by smudge sticks. All other ghosts, they literally give you seconds. Maybe enough that if you light the smudge stick and book it, you can survive the hunt, but it's never really worked for us. Also smudge sticks will only divert the ghost from the person with the smudge stick, so if you're in one of the smaller locations or near the rest of your team, you're pretty likely to divert the ghost right at someone else and get them killed instead (which, it should be noted, is both acceptable and hilarious)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Here's an example of what the sage sticks can do to the ghost, and also an example of their limitations. :v:

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstemiousCuteMosquito4Head

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 12, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Drakenel posted:

I remember that generally throwing the crucifix in the middle of the haunt room is pretty good at nailing its first couple hunts, as the ghost usually fucks around in proximity to said room.

An extra important note is that the crucifix can only stop 2 hunts. Once it has, the crucifix disappears, and you can bet by then the ghost is pissed and will start again shortly.

Most of my experience with "get a hunt stopped by a crucifix" is i'll pop two down to cover a fairly large room, call the ghost a motherfucker and it'll break both of them before immediately trying to murder me.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Here's an example of what the sage sticks can do to the ghost, and also an example of their limitations. :v:

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstemiousCuteMosquito4Head

That's interesting. I wonder if he could have survived had he moved to a new hiding spot.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Zaffy posted:

That's interesting. I wonder if he could have survived had he moved to a new hiding spot.

Since that moment, my new tactic for getting a photo of the ghost on the houses/farmhouses has been to hang with the photo camera person and bring the ghost to a more open area and light the sticks when it gets to close.

We still end up having to run away, but it gives us more time/tries to get the photo!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I prefer to snap a photo immediately before the ghost murders me. I do it for the team.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

dogstile posted:

Most of my experience with "get a hunt stopped by a crucifix" is i'll pop two down to cover a fairly large room, call the ghost a motherfucker and it'll break both of them before immediately trying to murder me.

I want to try this today :theroni:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I sufficiently motivated ghost only needs a minute and a half to be ready to smoke your rear end through two crucifixes.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Are many people in this thread meeting up for coop? I’m looking to play more, but am struggling to find friends that want to play, and public servers are really hit and miss.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

there have been pretty regular groups playing on the co-op goon discord. I believe I've linked it in a previous post of the thread, check my posts button.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
I got the poltergeist to break the crucifix! the ghost was described as only responding to people who are alone so I threw the crucifix down near-ish the doorway, took the tiniest step inside the spawn room while my teammates went into different rooms, and said the ghost's name a bunch of times. the ghost made the phone ring and eventually it turned the lights off and I heard a heartbeat and I shrieked and booked it. haha. when everyone came out of hiding, I noticed that the crucifix disappeared. :yaycat:

i was designated as the spirit box person this time. i got the ghost to respond quickly when i was in the spawn room, in the dark, and met the response conditions (i.e. "responds to everyone," "responds to people who are alone")

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they really need to add like hats and poo poo for money sinks. Make them cheap and lose-able like items. Give me a newsie fedora that the poltergeist can knock off of my head to spook me

let me spend a bunch of money to put a hat on the ghost

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

When the guy making this runs off into the woods with his money. I hope someone can really flesh out these systems.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I want a great dane player model.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Zaffy posted:

I want a great dane player model.

I want a little tiny one

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
God, I loving love premium cosmetics in games. Let me choose to spend real money to support the developers and get little blinglings that give me that sweet serotonin spike.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was thinking more like using in-game money to add temporary hats to your inventory but I wouldn't mind throwing the phasma dev a couple of bucks for some sweet sunglasses. If premium cosmetics did well maybe it would be more incentive for him to stick around.

e: looking at the dev's Trello I notice at some point he moved the Prison Level from the "backlog" section to the "in progress" section so hopefully we'll see that soon.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 13, 2020

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I would spend all the dollars to buy a knockoff Ghostbusters outfit for my character.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SpudCat posted:

I would spend all the dollars to buy a knockoff Ghostbusters outfit for my character.

This game is also screaming for Sam and Dean Winchester characters

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

SpudCat posted:

I don't care about character outfits but I would be all over a PKE skin for the EMF and a Tobin's Spirit Guide ghost writing book.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SpudCat posted:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I would spend a lot of money for a Dana Scully character model.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I've been playing this solo and just unlocked intermediate difficulty. Had a very rude banshee the other day on amateur that immediately went hunting once the 5 minutes were up, without me even making any noise. Just once, though, I'd like the ghost to be haunting the couch and do nothing but mess w/ the tv and maybe the fridge. Love the atmosphere, medium maps can take way too long if I'm unlucky and large maps are a big nope. Is the coop discord for this active and does it have room for a relative newbie?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

There's certainly room for a newbie!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

And yes, it is very active. Generally you see at least one group going a night or every other night at least. Grab the role and say hi, generally you will get more success in the evenings getting a group rolling though.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Mason Dixon posted:

I've been playing this solo and just unlocked intermediate difficulty. Had a very rude banshee the other day on amateur that immediately went hunting once the 5 minutes were up, without me even making any noise. Just once, though, I'd like the ghost to be haunting the couch and do nothing but mess w/ the tv and maybe the fridge. Love the atmosphere, medium maps can take way too long if I'm unlucky and large maps are a big nope. Is the coop discord for this active and does it have room for a relative newbie?

you’ve been playing SOLO??? jeez, isn’t it scary to play alone?!

the tutorial was too scary for me. i had to ask my friend to hop into discord to talk to me while i went through it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just got the game, so I will do the tutorial stuff before playing with others.
Right as I was leaving, the light turned off and a shade wooshed at me.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 16, 2020

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

GyverMac posted:

This game is also screaming for Sam and Dean Winchester characters

I want a shotgun full of salt.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got what people call a haunting in the van. Couldn't hear anything. I thought the van was a safe spot. I was getting bitched out so much from the group when I could hear things again.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 16, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I got what people call a haunting in the van. Couldn't hear anything. I thought the van was a safe spot. I was getting bitched out so much from the group when I could hear things again.

If you mean the ghost was hunting, then yes you should be safe in the truck barring bugs or a radical patch change. During a hunt the radio (global) chat doesn't work and thus you're stuck watching any cameras that might have been set up while waiting to see if someone stuck in the house dies. If you happen to be stuck in the location during a hunt yourself don't talk! It just lets the ghost know where you are.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

durrneez posted:

you’ve been playing SOLO??? jeez, isn’t it scary to play alone?!

the tutorial was too scary for me. i had to ask my friend to hop into discord to talk to me while i went through it.

I play solo and have had to stop sometimes cause the ghost sounds freaks me out.

Doesn’t help that I play in the dark.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I've heard the female ghost do this eerie humming while hunting before and honestly that freaks me out more than the death rattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Beasteh posted:

I've heard the female ghost do this eerie humming while hunting before and honestly that freaks me out more than the death rattle

I just heard it live for the first time tonight, super creepy!