Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

everything is terrible. fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
really cool that two of my favorite japanese video game composers are shitheads. Can't wait to find out that Yuzo Koshiro was a member of Aum Shinrikyo or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

really cool that two of my favorite japanese video game composers are shitheads. Can't wait to find out that Yuzo Koshiro was a member of Aum Shinrikyo or something

Out of curiosity, what composers are you talking about and what did they do?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

super-redguy posted:

Macross has a bad history with virtual idols.

Sharon Apple did nothing wrong.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what composers are you talking about and what did they do?

Michiru Yamane right there like six posts ago and Koichi Sugiyama is a known chud who engages in things like nanjing denialism

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Can Of Worms posted:

I didn't realize Qanon made its way overseas. (Michiru Yamane is a composer for Castlevania games.)

https://twitter.com/Kuhachoco/status/1326191953059475456

https://twitter.com/Kuhachoco/status/1326278989040726017

I wanna clarify that I'm not trying to defend her spreading these conspiracies, just providing some context for why

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
saying translations of trump's speeches make him look sane is a hell of a thing when live translations of anything trump says are infamously hard on the translators

anyway michiru yamane is a bizarre one but koichi sugiyama is an edo-period dinosaur and is much more than just a famous game composer, he's a guy who literally controls a chunk of the japanese music industry, so i uh. wouldn't expect most people to be like him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*while taking photos of your own taint* It's time for Jack to let her rip!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol the new shimabukuro manga is straight up carpentry toriko

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
ah, the taint ripper

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DoubleDonut posted:

don't meet your heroes

or have them as heroes in the first place, probably

Never have heroes. All heroes are bastards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

saying translations of trump's speeches make him look sane is a hell of a thing when live translations of anything trump says are infamously hard on the translators
I get what you're saying but that's the reason they're hard. Most live translations make him come across way more coherent than he is because the people translating are instinctively trying to make it sound that way just as a natural part of human communication.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Someone please tell me Yoko Shimomura is still seiso

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1327726143500410882

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://i.imgur.com/HjsGkap.mp4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CubeTheory posted:

Someone please tell me Yoko Shimomura is still seiso

All I can think of is that she did a tribute track to XXXtentacion

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

I get what you're saying but that's the reason they're hard. Most live translations make him come across way more coherent than he is because the people translating are instinctively trying to make it sound that way just as a natural part of human communication.

It's fundamentally kind of impossible to translate an incomplete thought because of the way grammar differs between languages. So a translator has to first try to understand what they're saying (or what they think they're trying to say) and then convey that. It's this process that makes a translation necessarily sound more coherent.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

just randomly found out that seiji mizushima was the director on Mach GoGoGo '97/Speed Racer X, which I really liked as a kid despite its dub getting canned in its day. always neat to discover that I'd had a longer relationship with people who've worked on stuff I like than I thought.

e: well actually he's listed as such on MAL alongside others, but nowhere on wikipedia, which also has episode designations for its multiple directors, so I guess it's actually up in air where that's coming from.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

I chuckled for a few and then let out a loud AWWWWWWWW.

Edit;

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 16, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

It's fundamentally kind of impossible to translate an incomplete thought because of the way grammar differs between languages. So a translator has to first try to understand what they're saying (or what they think they're trying to say) and then convey that. It's this process that makes a translation necessarily sound more coherent.

yeah. even with fiction if a writer tends to leave stuff unsaid, half-said, or implied that raises some issues in translation, especially if you have no direct way to contact the writer to tell what the original intent is. one way this tends to crop up a lot is with romance subplots, where a character is implying romantic feelings but doesnt finish the thought of who those feelings are about, but the way the sentence is structured kinda necessitates at least some hinting of who in translation. definitely seen translators make completely random stabs in the dark that wind up entirely wrong in those scenarios. for instance, sometimes you might get a 'why do i feel this way about... him...' when its actually a girl the sentence is about, or viceversa.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
is there an adtrw discord?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Violet_Sky posted:

A few threads have them and I made a general one but nobody really posts in it since the forums never went away.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today I'm anime old and everything is still hosed, thanks covid :rip:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's true.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This is pretty accurate actually.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

no but i posted the discord for my podcast and for some reason half this thread joined

e:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

no but i posted the discord for my podcast and for some reason half this thread joined

e:

Usually you're supposed to use the blackmail material as a threat rather than posting it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tv tunerds

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

e:
you demanded i join it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The stair podcast discord...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

homeless snail posted:

you demanded i join it

and you obliged when ibram, my best friend, refused.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

before anyone gets incredibly sad ibram is not actually my best friend i have other people in my life

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can't believe you're rejecting Ibram like this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just remembered Silver Spoon exists, and I stopped somewhere like a dozen chapters from the end. I feel like I heard it ends poorly or unsatisfyingly at least, is it worth finishing off or should I just move on?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DoubleDonut posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Salman is a manga about a guy masturbating in the river who ends up with a half human half salmon son.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
was there any particular reason he was masturbating in the river

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DoubleDonut posted:

I totally can, though!

Also this might be a little late, but still: While Trump is legit a pain in the rear end to translate live, he's hardly a special case. The only things Trump is even mildly remarkable about is the fact that:
  • He's a "babbler" with a poor rhythm (even if the poor rhythm could be understandable if the person has a stutter/other speech impediment).
  • If interviewed/having a conversation, he has a tendency to interrupt/talk over people.
  • Poor temper/prone to mood swings.
  • He reacts poorly when corrected/shown he misunderstood something.
  • He exhibits many of the setbacks LEP's have when dealing with the English language (The fact that Tweeter in Chief's only spoken language, as far as I know, is English itself should be a red flag, but... well, y'know, throw it into the pile).
Again, he's a pain in the rear end to translate live, but he's hardly even worth mentioning in translation cases aside from the fact that he exhibits all those setbacks for people in the field.

(Source: Been doing live Eng<->Spa, Eng<->Por & Eng<->Jpn translation/interpretation for almost one year now as one of my two day jobs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The larger reason Trump's noteworthy is that he's the president of the united states. If someone like, iunno, an exec at some game company was hard to translate live, it'd be annoying to people in that industry but you could just translate him after the fact in a worst case, it's not like there's anything pressing about his interviews about an upcoming game. This is not true about the most powerful man in the world.