Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Oysters Autobio posted:

I remember there being a type of immersion cone cup that was basically a larger plastic V60 where you poured grounds and water into it, and there was a door type mechanism on the bottom that opened when it was pressed down on the cup, so you would pour, do a 3-4min immersion, then extract into the cup. I can't seem to find it online or remember what it was called, anyone remember this one?

The Clever Brewer or the Hario Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Clever Dripper is most likely the one that your thinking of. Supposedly the Hario Switch is good as well but tops out at about 200ml.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Oysters Autobio posted:

Can we do office brewing chat? I know most people are WFH, but for us losers who still have to go into the cubicle factory, I still want to avoid the lovely coffee there.

My go to has been up until recently using a hario hand grinder and an aeropress, but I'm finding these days that the aeropress just doesn't make enough per batch, so I want to consider getting something else. At home I use a V60 but I think it'd be too inconsistent with our kettle at the office (it's a pretty big spout).

Any other suggestions I should consider? I typically like the more acidic/clear cup that an aeropress and pour over makes, but at the office I'm pretty lazy so I'm looking for the easiest method. I'm guessing if I'm going for the easiest than a simple french press would do the trick, but if I can I prefer a more clear cup.

I remember there being a type of immersion cone cup that was basically a larger plastic V60 where you poured grounds and water into it, and there was a door type mechanism on the bottom that opened when it was pressed down on the cup, so you would pour, do a 3-4min immersion, then extract into the cup. I can't seem to find it online or remember what it was called, anyone remember this one?

The device you describe is a Clever dripper. The Hario Switch is similar.

You can also make good V60’s without a pouring kettle. The Hoffman method and the 4:6 both work fine with a pulsed and not super precise pour. 4:6 is a little faster if you are using a hand grinder because you grind very coarse, and you just dump 5 big splashes of water into the cone instead of a smooth controlled pour. However you will need a scale for that.

Another method is you could also just make your Aeropress stronger and then dilute with hot water, which was the original intent for the Aeropress.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
You can also make a french press and then pour it through a paper filter if it’s not as clean as you like

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Is there any downside to owning the larger Clever dripper if I generally brew 200-300 ml at a time? It'd be nice to have the option for larger amounts occasionally, but I don't want to wind up having issues with my usual brews.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

About the Clever filter and Hario switch, can you just fill them up with hot water and then after a couple of minutes drain them? I wanna try a pour over but I don't want to do the song and dance with the actual pouring.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

About the Clever filter and Hario switch, can you just fill them up with hot water and then after a couple of minutes drain them? I wanna try a pour over but I don't want to do the song and dance with the actual pouring.

Pretty much. I think you’re supposed to stir the grounds once or twice in the clever, but I’m lazy most mornings and just dump water in, steep, plop dripper on coffee mug.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

The Postman posted:

Is there any downside to owning the larger Clever dripper if I generally brew 200-300 ml at a time? It'd be nice to have the option for larger amounts occasionally, but I don't want to wind up having issues with my usual brews.

I have the larger Clever dripper and use both #2 and #4 filters in it, depending on how much I want to brew (I mean, I guess you could just get #4 and not fill them as high, too) - there's not really a limit other than max... I usually stop at 470ml/30g coffee in a #4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yeah that's the beauty of the Clever. I would still do the 30 second bloom though.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hario switch seems kinda pricey for what it is. I feel like you could jerry rig something similar with a v60 and a rubber stopper or something

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
I'm looking to get a drip machine as a gift for someone that is just going to use Folgers in it. Was looking at the Moccamaster, but I'm not sure if a nice machine is going to make much of a difference with cheap pre-ground coffee. Anyone here have experience with that kind of scenario?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

rath posted:

I'm looking to get a drip machine as a gift for someone that is just going to use Folgers in it. Was looking at the Moccamaster, but I'm not sure if a nice machine is going to make much of a difference with cheap pre-ground coffee. Anyone here have experience with that kind of scenario?

It might not make an appreciable difference in the end product, but I’d consider the Moccamaster to be much nicer to look at than a plain old Mr Coffee or whatever.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Oysters Autobio posted:

Can we do office brewing chat? I know most people are WFH, but for us losers who still have to go into the cubicle factory, I still want to avoid the lovely coffee there.

My go to has been up until recently using a hario hand grinder and an aeropress, but I'm finding these days that the aeropress just doesn't make enough per batch, so I want to consider getting something else. At home I use a V60 but I think it'd be too inconsistent with our kettle at the office (it's a pretty big spout).

Any other suggestions I should consider? I typically like the more acidic/clear cup that an aeropress and pour over makes, but at the office I'm pretty lazy so I'm looking for the easiest method. I'm guessing if I'm going for the easiest than a simple french press would do the trick, but if I can I prefer a more clear cup.

Is there anything that prevents you from bringing a kettle to work (either a stovetop one like the Hario Buono or one that has its own heating element base like a Bonavita or Stagg)? The thing that I used to do when I was in a call center cube farm (with tea) was that I would preheat and bring a full thermos of just hot water and then use the spout from that, which worked out great for pour control and was highly portable. Using something like a Stanley thermal carafe or a Thermos brand one both are built like tanks and can hold hot things for a full shift.

Backup plan: make a shitload of good coffee at home and put it in a stainless steel thermos and go hog wild. I've done that on the road when I was doing multi-thousand mile road trips with gas station coffee and when it's X in the night or morning you care more about having something in your system more than a particularly high grade of that something, ya feel?

I also do the same when going out and I want to bring coffee with me if I'm going somewhere local too. I'm actually contemplating doing a morning brew and then bringing that with me for bike rides and having that while staring at a dirt plot as my morning ritual before riding back home.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

rath posted:

I think the key things for a drip machine are aesthetics, usability features (like an auto-timer so you can just load it up and have it make coffee while you're asleep), and capacity. Consider for your someone that you're gifting maybe what would be good in their kitchen for these three things and set a reasonable budget and you should be fine. If you're thinking about a Moccamaster then you basically can just get anything on the market for a drip machine.

One thing is that if you don't like burnt coffee you might want to get a machine that puts coffee into a thermal carafe. I have the Bonavita drip brewer that I'm not using but it worked well on this front. Anything focused on prioritizing even heating and a well distributed showerhead on the drip will likely be a step up for Folgers.

For a slightly more in-depth discussion I would recommend starting with the comparative reviews that the Wirecutter does - they usually aren't too far off base and give a good starting point for further research.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-coffee-maker/

edit: specifically about drip machines: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-drip-coffee-maker/

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Not a troll post:

What are the best instant coffees on the market right now? I live in the Arctic and I can’t get fresh beans through mail because of long transit times and lack of temperature control. So I’ve taken to just doing instant coffee. Right now all I have is Nescafé’s Tasters Choice, but I can order whatever through my local store.

So suggestions please

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This tastes amazing but it's ridiculously expensive

https://ritualcoffee.com/shop/coffee/instant-coffee/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

My local shop does something similar and I was surprised it was pretty drat good

https://blendincoffeeclub.com/product/drip-kit/

I forgot I had one left and used it 6 months after purchase and it was still good. And yeah not exactly a great price but great when I needed to travel on short notice

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

virinvictus posted:

Not a troll post:

What are the best instant coffees on the market right now? I live in the Arctic and I can’t get fresh beans through mail because of long transit times and lack of temperature control. So I’ve taken to just doing instant coffee. Right now all I have is Nescafé’s Tasters Choice, but I can order whatever through my local store.

So suggestions please

Another good option is https://voila.coffee.

You really have to ask yourself what you want your coffee to taste like, though. These fancy ones using fancy coffees are impressive considering the state of instant a few years ago, but still fall short of a high-quality cup of coffee.

If you like a rich, robust cup you might be best off with something like Starbucks Via.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

For 40 cups of coffee, lol.

Just how good is it?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

virinvictus posted:

Not a troll post:

So suggestions please

Creating instant coffee requires some very specific equipment so a lot of smaller roasters don't have access to it. My local roaster that I like, Greater Goods, does make a pretty good instant coffee, but it all depends on your taste, of course: https://greatergoodsroasting.com/collections/all-coffee/products/pick-me-up-instant

edit: this is also why instant coffee is paradoxically expensive from smaller roasters, because they can't compete with the economy of scale for massive operations like Nescafe does.

For Greater Goods, price is 16 flat before tax and shipping for 6 servings, so 2.67 a cup.

Barring that, it just depends on your budget. You might find that Taster's Choice works best for you after you've had your pick of all these other ones, and that's cool too.

edit 1.2: If you can't do "fresh" beans perhaps discussing with your local store what options might be available for a priority courier service might help. Some roasters are totally willing to make accommodations but it depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much that's going to cost to get up to you.

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 19, 2020

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

virinvictus posted:

Just how good is it?

:wtc: maybe find someone to hollow out a bunch of bibles and smuggle it to you via media mail?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

aldantefax posted:

Backup plan: make a shitload of good coffee at home and put it in a stainless steel thermos and go hog wild.

My vote would go to this as well. I used to do a whole grinder/aeropress/clever thing in the office after getting fed up with kcup garbage but I just don't think it's worth the trouble.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Virtue posted:

My vote would go to this as well. I used to do a whole grinder/aeropress/clever thing in the office after getting fed up with kcup garbage but I just don't think it's worth the trouble.

I’m heading down this road. Been doing Clever in the office for a while but I’m getting sick of all the questions/hassle/etc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

virinvictus posted:

Just how good is it?

Tastes like a mediocre fresh pour over. So it's great for instant standards.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So, my partner has started drinking coffee this summer (she hates it). Almost every time she drinks coffee she's reporting a noticeable uptick in her mood. She's been looking at her heart rates before and after she drank coffee and found that her resting heart rate got closer to normal (she was very low) since she started drinking, while her maximum heart rate did not change, despite an increased fitness regime. So there it is folks, coffee makes people people.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think low heart rate is a good thing but I rather have coffee

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, barring other medical conditions a lower heart rate indicates that the heart is strong and doesn't need to pump as many times to push the same amount of blood through your veins.

That said, if your resting heart rate is within the normal healthy range I wouldn't worry about it either way.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm looking to enhance my household's coffee capabilities and move away from my Hario slim mill or the cheap blade Hamiliton Beach (sp?) electric blade grinder.

I take it that Baratza Virtuoso+ is the go to for price/performance? We do pour overs (V60) and Aeropress .

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I have a question that is hard to really make clear

I really like ethiopian beans, usually washed via natural process

A few times in my life i've had an ethiopian pour over that has had a certain flavor that is hard to describe. it's a simultaneous lightness and richness.

A couple years ago i was in Seattle at a place called Anchorhead and had that kind of coffee. i bought a bag of the exact same beans and made them at home. No dice. I have a baratza grinder, and used a kalitta wave pourover (which is coincidentally what the barista used). filtered water, the whole deal. I've tried all variety of pourover timings and techniques.

What the gently caress am I chasing? I SOMETIMES get a TINY bit of the flavor with nice ethiopian beans (i buy from a place in Denver a lot, Corvus), but it's impossible to get the actual taste, or any consistency.

Am I making sense to anyone?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Phone posted:

I'm looking to enhance my household's coffee capabilities and move away from my Hario slim mill or the cheap blade Hamiliton Beach (sp?) electric blade grinder.

I take it that Baratza Virtuoso+ is the go to for price/performance? We do pour overs (V60) and Aeropress .
I dunno why you would get that over an Baratza Encore, a cheaper burr grinder that is an enormous step up from that blade grinder, which is barely "grinding" anything.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

A few times in my life i've had an ethiopian pour over that has had a certain flavor that is hard to describe. it's a simultaneous lightness and richness.

A couple years ago i was in Seattle at a place called Anchorhead and had that kind of coffee. i bought a bag of the exact same beans and made them at home. No dice. I have a baratza grinder, and used a kalitta wave pourover (which is coincidentally what the barista used). filtered water, the whole deal. I've tried all variety of pourover timings and techniques.

What the gently caress am I chasing? I SOMETIMES get a TINY bit of the flavor with nice ethiopian beans (i buy from a place in Denver a lot, Corvus), but it's impossible to get the actual taste, or any consistency.

With a natural Ethiopian I'm guessing the flavor your chasing might just be "fruit?" When you say filtered water, what do you mean exactly? Using Third Wave water and then Perger water was probably the biggest changeup I made to my coffee to make it better after getting a burr grinder.

I use a v60 and still sometimes find that "fruitbomb" flavor a bit hard to chase, especially because I have to gently caress with my grind size to get a decent drawdown as the beans age. I've had good luck brewing between 195 F and 200 F (I have not had good luck with James Hoffmann's recommendation to brew with water just off the boil), and using the 4:6 method with my grind targeted at my drawdowns being close-ish to that "45 second per phase" marker.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

RichterIX posted:

With a natural Ethiopian I'm guessing the flavor your chasing might just be "fruit?" When you say filtered water, what do you mean exactly? Using Third Wave water and then Perger water was probably the biggest changeup I made to my coffee to make it better after getting a burr grinder.

I use a v60 and still sometimes find that "fruitbomb" flavor a bit hard to chase, especially because I have to gently caress with my grind size to get a decent drawdown as the beans age. I've had good luck brewing between 195 F and 200 F (I have not had good luck with James Hoffmann's recommendation to brew with water just off the boil), and using the 4:6 method with my grind targeted at my drawdowns being close-ish to that "45 second per phase" marker.
That's probably a better way to describe the flavor. I'm bad at describing flavors, in general.

I've just googled Third Wave Water. I'm impressed that there is yet another ridiculous thing for brewing coffee. To answer your question, I filter the water through a Brita filter. I also brew at 200F, and of course that temp drops just slightly as I'm pouring.

Could I ask you to say something more about a 4:6 method?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

This may be a dumb question but if they're a specialty shop they might be able to tell you what exactly they do with their beans?

I've repeatedly heard the advice to ask brewers and roasters about their recipes in order to correctly reproduce the flavor they are shooting for, so it can't be an outlandish question for them to get.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

That's probably a better way to describe the flavor. I'm bad at describing flavors, in general.

I've just googled Third Wave Water. I'm impressed that there is yet another ridiculous thing for brewing coffee. To answer your question, I filter the water through a Brita filter. I also brew at 200F, and of course that temp drops just slightly as I'm pouring.

Could I ask you to say something more about a 4:6 method?

Directions for 4:6 always seem complicated if you google it, but it's pretty simple. I'll use my recipe as an example. Keep in mind this is for v60, not sure how/if it will work for the Wave.

Basically you take your total brew water and divide it into 5 separate pours. Supposedly the balance of the first two pours affects the acidity and sweetness of the final brew. So, for me:

20g coffee, 300g water (300 divided by 5 makes 5 60g pours)

60g water, let drain (this pour affects acidity)
60g, let drain (this pour affects sweetness)
60g, let drain
60g, let drain
60g, let drain, then you're done.

Theoretically, each drawdown should take about 45 seconds from the start of your pour, so alter your grind accordingly if it's taking too long or not long enough.

Then, if you want to gently caress with your recipe, you can change the balance of your first two pours. For instance, I do:

50g (less acidity)
70g (more sweetness)
60g
60g
60g

As for your Brita filter, I actually had pretty good luck with one but it worked as a water softener for way less time than the filter is rated to work. I think that's why they don't advertise them as water softeners-- they'll do it, but not for the full life of the filter.

Edit: Sorry if this post is really confusing, something about typing out the 4:6 method always makes it seem way more complex than it is

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That makes perfect sense, you did a nice job explaining.

I've never seen the description of the first two pours. That's helpful.

Lord Stimperor posted:

This may be a dumb question but if they're a specialty shop they might be able to tell you what exactly they do with their beans?

I've repeatedly heard the advice to ask brewers and roasters about their recipes in order to correctly reproduce the flavor they are shooting for, so it can't be an outlandish question for them to get.
I did this with the place in Seattle, they weren't of much help, unfortunately. "Use a pour over, it'll be great," basically.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

A few more things to consider:

Make sure the beans are the right age. They are not going to be great when they are super fresh from roasting. They should be a few days old. Then the fruitiness will diminish after a few weeks.

You say “washed via a natural process”, do you mean natural or washed? They are very different processes. Washed will be brighter, more clean, more acidic. Natural will be funkier, almost raisiny.

Pour the coffee into a taller mug. Let it sit for a bit. You will get more flavor out of it if it’s cooler, and a taller mug will have room for the aromas to collect above the coffee before you drink it.

Buy a bottle of distilled water and then add a third wave packet to it. Expensive and a bit of a hassle but it will tell you how much effect your water is having if you can brew using “perfect” water.

I have been drinking this natural Ethiopian for the past couple weeks and I think this is my favorite coffee ever: https://flightcoffeeco.com/collections/single-origin-coffees/products/ethiopia-sidamo-shantawene-natural-g1 super juicy and fruity (I get a lot more blueberry than strawberry), but still acidic and not too fermented/funky.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Phone posted:

If you're set on an electric grinder, the Encore is the more frequent recommendation - you can pretty much make it a plastic-body Virtuoso by buying the M2 burr upgrade from the Baratza website and doing a simple DIY install. Also worth checking out the Eureka Mignon Filtro. More of a newcomer in the US market with what seems to me like a positive reception. Haven't tried it myself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I dunno why you would get that over an Baratza Encore, a cheaper burr grinder that is an enormous step up from that blade grinder, which is barely "grinding" anything.

I use the Hario slim mill which has ceramic burrs. vOv

I'd be upgrading from this:

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 24, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Baratza Encore is the better value IMO. And like he said you can upgrade the burrs inside and get the same performance later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Lord Stimperor posted:

So, my partner has started drinking coffee this summer (she hates it). Almost every time she drinks coffee she's reporting a noticeable uptick in her mood. She's been looking at her heart rates before and after she drank coffee and found that her resting heart rate got closer to normal (she was very low) since she started drinking, while her maximum heart rate did not change, despite an increased fitness regime. So there it is folks, coffee makes people people.

Nurse post: low heart rate in fit people is expected - her heart is just very efficient at pumping, her aerobic capacity is higher than non-athletic people, etc. I've seen athletes with resting heart rates in the 40s before - not often, but a few. So barring her taking medications to lower her heart rate (beta blockers), thumbs up to her for being awesome and fit! Caffeine can elevate heart rate, so that's why it goes up a bit after drinking coffee. [/nurse]

Unrelated: my most recent Bonavita kettle croaked. Any better electric kettles with temp control out there? Nothing obscenely expensive, though. I'm not buying an artisanal kettle blessed by the Pope or anything - $100-150 is probably my budget.