Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrLogan posted:

My solar system was officially activated by Tesla today. ~4.5 months, ordered at the end of June. Glad they were able to finalize by the end of the calendar year.

Now to a) file all the paperwork for rebates, b) start looking at electric cars.

drat man, congrats. But...how will you get there? Does it include interstellar travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

drat man, congrats. But...how will you get there? Does it include interstellar travel?

Wormhole created by 5 dimensional humans

But that's awesome news!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When I was in Geneva they had busses and trams running on the same pantographs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Geneva

Electric bus lines seem like a good gateway into lightrail. :getin:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Ola posted:

You take a Roadster (Roadstar?) obviously. Why do you think they put one in space?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Zero One posted:

When I was in Geneva they had busses and trams running on the same pantographs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Geneva

Electric bus lines seem like a good gateway into lightrail. :getin:

I think that at least in some cases electric buses would be a much better alternative to light rail. I live in Sydney where we spent aud4.5billion on one new light rail line. The cost blew out by more than double because of the cost of installing the rails through the city where there are no reliable maps of all the cables and pipes running under the streets.

I know someone who worked on the main section in George street who joked that they would dig at night so they could tell which line they hit by the buildings that blacked out.

In the end they could have built the line as a dedicated bus route with electric buses for less than the original budget.

Instead we have another white elephant that will discourage investment in public transport again.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

MrLogan posted:

You take a Roadster (Roadstar?) obviously. Why do you think they put one in space?

Oh is that why they're putting rockets one the new one

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Beffer posted:

I think that at least in some cases electric buses would be a much better alternative to light rail. I live in Sydney where we spent aud4.5billion on one new light rail line. The cost blew out by more than double because of the cost of installing the rails through the city where there are no reliable maps of all the cables and pipes running under the streets.

I know someone who worked on the main section in George street who joked that they would dig at night so they could tell which line they hit by the buildings that blacked out.

In the end they could have built the line as a dedicated bus route with electric buses for less than the original budget.

Instead we have another white elephant that will discourage investment in public transport again.

We're testing out battery electric busses in the greater Seattle area and last I looked we're ordering some more? That should be awesome. Also VW is buying electric schoolbusses across the state thanks to Dieselgate.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-recall/gm-recalling-nearly-69000-bolt-evs-for-fire-risks-idUSKBN27T2LG

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Charles posted:

We're testing out battery electric busses in the greater Seattle area and last I looked we're ordering some more? That should be awesome. Also VW is buying electric schoolbusses across the state thanks to Dieselgate.

Seattle has the Sounder already, which is pretty decent (unless you live or work in Redmond, but if you live or work in Redmond I guess public transportation probably isn't really on your radar.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Finger Prince posted:

Seattle has the Sounder already, which is pretty decent (unless you live or work in Redmond, but if you live or work in Redmond I guess public transportation probably isn't really on your radar.)

That's a diesel-electric train. They are building the light rail out to Redmond, though we're still a few years out.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

I wonder how the costs of installation and maintenance compare between pantographs and overhead lines versus batteries and charging stations?

Though it might be worth looking into combining the two - have overhead lines for the main roads, and batteries for going places where it wouldn't be cost effective to put them up.

They've done this in Bordeaux for a while to avoid overhead lines in the city center. Seems to work fine, they keep building more lines, no idea about the cost.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know about cost either, but I don't think it's the most important factor anyway. Without pantographs you have to do all your charging stationary. This eats into the transport capacity unless you grossly oversize the battery or abuse it with very high charging power. And while pantographs aren't pretty, most places don't have to look pretty. So doing both is a win-win compromise, no pantographs in the pretty places and no long charging stops.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ola posted:

I don't know about cost either, but I don't think it's the most important factor anyway. Without pantographs you have to do all your charging stationary. This eats into the transport capacity unless you grossly oversize the battery or abuse it with very high charging power. And while pantographs aren't pretty, most places don't have to look pretty. So doing both is a win-win compromise, no pantographs in the pretty places and no long charging stops.

This has always been my opinion, as well

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Beffer posted:

Don’t forget the contribution to delays/cost blowouts due to the digging crews unearthing... wait for it... tram tracks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MrLogan posted:

For far too long I read the Hyundai Veloster as Velostar.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Don’t forget the contribution to delays/cost blowouts due to the digging crews unearthing... wait for it... tram tracks.

Yes. The number one lesson is don’t dig up or bury your public transport lines at the behest of the motor lobby.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Here4DaGangBang posted:

It would be hard to believe for most people these days but Sydney used to have one of the best and biggest tram networks in the world. Ripped up by a centre left (NSW Labor) govt of all things with a lot of urging by bus worker unions. It's actually insane just how much public transport policy has been driven by protecting those particular unions and why competing rail infrastructure was either just not made or made without servicing great swathes of Sydney.

The current center-right mob are building big swathes of roads and public transport (Metro style rail, light rail aka trams) but also interestingly they are intergrating them with public EV charging and also networks of cycle paths. The train station I park at has a new car park about to be built that is slated to have EV chargers and more cycling access.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It would be hard to believe for most people these days but Sydney used to have one of the best and biggest tram networks in the world. Ripped up by a centre left (NSW Labor) govt of all things with a lot of urging by bus worker unions. It's actually insane just how much public transport policy has been driven by protecting those particular unions and why competing rail infrastructure was either just not made or made without servicing great swathes of Sydney.

The current center-right mob are building big swathes of roads and public transport (Metro style rail, light rail aka trams) but also interestingly they are intergrating them with public EV charging and also networks of cycle paths. The train station I park at has a new car park about to be built that is slated to have EV chargers and more cycling access.

Of course by USA standards these are liberals. Because here we have public officials who have equated bike share systems with the supposed takeover by the UN.

No joke: https://www.denverpost.com/2010/08/03/bike-agenda-spins-cities-toward-u-n-control-maes-warns/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

They've done this in Bordeaux for a while to avoid overhead lines in the city center. Seems to work fine, they keep building more lines, no idea about the cost.

It's a cool system which seems adaptable for bus stops to top up batteries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-level_power_supply

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why doesn't anybody else make a portable EVSE with swappable cords like Tesla?

Seriously, that's like any outlet possible.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Not gonna lie, I half considered using that and a Tesla Tap for my Bolt

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Not gonna lie, I half considered using that and a Tesla Tap for my Bolt

I wondered about that but it's a lot of money, hah. But I know people with dryer outlets in their garage or a plug for an air compressor, etc.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Charles posted:

Etron comes with one just like that. You occasionally have to bring it back to the dealer for software updates (yes, the portable charger)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I spent about $25 to make an adapter to plug my Volt's portable EVSE into a 6-50.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

I spent about $25 to make an adapter to plug my Volt's portable EVSE into a 6-50.

Yeah that's good but this one actually limits the amperage to what's appropriate. 6-50 is still a 50 amp circuit. That said, if you got a 14-50 evse that's only 24 amps you could roll your own adapter to a dryer plug at least and get a fair amount of the benefit over 120/12 anyway.
I just thought it was a pretty neat implementation, but it isn't really that applicable to me.

Shamino posted:

Etron comes with one just like that. You occasionally have to bring it back to the dealer for software updates (yes, the portable charger)

Have I only read horror stories about the e-Tron? Yikes

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The plug rating doesn't matter, just the over current protection and the equipment attached to it, my Welder is 15A at 240V and my EVSE is 24A and they're both connected to a 6-50 with 10ga wire fuses at 30A.

Think of it like a lamp with an 18ga cord plugged into a 20A outlet.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Charles posted:

I wondered about that but it's a lot of money, hah. But I know people with dryer outlets in their garage or a plug for an air compressor, etc.

If you buy the whole bundle. Unless I'm missing something, The Gen 2 mobile connector is $275, a 14-50 adapter is $35. So $300 for the EVSE itself, and then $180 for the Tesla to J1772 adapter. $500 total, compared to $420 I bought my EVSE for.

Charles posted:

Yeah that's good but this one actually limits the amperage to what's appropriate. 6-50 is still a 50 amp circuit. That said, if you got a 14-50 evse that's only 24 amps you could roll your own adapter to a dryer plug at least and get a fair amount of the benefit over 120/12 anyway.
I just thought it was a pretty neat implementation, but it isn't really that applicable to me.

It's a Volt, so 240/12 is totally sufficient. I never felt the need to go faster than 120v for my Volt, but the few times I flirted with the idea I kept coming to the plug adapter idea that goon had. And then I remembered I'd never go gas again so I'd probably just end up with a normal EVSE on a high amp circuit

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 16, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

The plug rating doesn't matter, just the over current protection and the equipment attached to it, my Welder is 15A at 240V and my EVSE is 24A and they're both connected to a 6-50 with 10ga wire fuses at 30A.

Think of it like a lamp with an 18ga cord plugged into a 20A outlet.

I somehow erased my whole post, dang it.
My point was the Tesla mobile EVSE will not try to draw 32 amps (its max) out of a 15-amp outlet (like a 6-15). Each adapter is coded somehow to tell it what to use. So you get full power with the 14-50 or 6-50 adapter, but can plug it to a 5-15 or 5-20 or a bunch of stuff in-between and it only draws the appropriate amount. Nifty setup, but not really relevant to me as there are a ton of chargers around, except for one friend's house I go to often (except for this year). With very careful parking I could probably use a dryer outlet, if the cord was long enough 😂

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

If you buy the whole bundle. Unless I'm missing something, The Gen 2 mobile connector is $275, a 14-50 adapter is $35. So $300 for the EVSE itself, and then $180 for the Tesla to J1772 adapter. $500 total, compared to $420 I bought my EVSE for.
Oh that is actually pretty reasonable for a Tesla product, ha.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Charles posted:

Yeah that's good but this one actually limits the amperage to what's appropriate. 6-50 is still a 50 amp circuit.

This EVSE limits the amperage to what's appropriate. Not sure why you'd think otherwise because it has a custom adapter on the end.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's a Volt, so 240/12 is totally sufficient. I never felt the need to go faster than 120v for my Volt, but the few times I flirted with the idea I kept coming to the plug adapter idea that goon had. And then I remembered I'd never go gas again so I'd probably just end up with a normal EVSE on a high amp circuit

The optional 7.2kW charger will take up to 32A. During the summer (max AC) and winter (enough heat) I'll go through most of a charge every workday. Being fully charged in a couple of hours gives me a lot more options than having to recharge until literally a few minutes before leaving for work again.

Someday I might buy a wallhanger EVSE, but the one that came with the car works for L1 or L2 just fine.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 16, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

This EVSE limits the amperage to what's appropriate. Not sure why you'd think otherwise because it has a custom adapter on the end.

Oh well that's cool then. I didn't know there were other ones that did that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

To be fair, GM didn't advertise the capability at all. Clipper Creek made them, and GM just sold them as portable 120v EVSEs. I'm not sure who figured it out, but a couple people took them apart and found out that yeah they're well-built and designed for 120 or 240. There were a couple of years of testimonials online before I made my adapter and tried it out (after verifying part numbers).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

TBF, EVSEs as a product are obscenely obtuse in their operation and technical literature.

I have a cool Chinese special that changes what max current it tells my car, based on a little RFID chip on my key chain.

Sometimes I raise it from the normal 16A to 32A (6000W plus parasitic load on the charge converter=~27A, appropriate for a continuous draw with a maximum length of 4 hours on a 30 amp circuit) for more powwwwaaaa because I need to go somewhere in my car soon.

I like the simple interface and control.

E: and that's all the car changing anything that matters, since the car has an adaptive switch mode power supply that can take just about any AC voltage and turn it into DC battery 'trons, the EVSE is just telling the car how much to draw.

It's an irritatingly unsimple system. Just have the interface for how much to draw in the car.

If course then everyone sets it to *MAX POWER* and complains because it trips circuit breakers everywhere.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 16, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

To be fair, GM didn't advertise the capability at all. Clipper Creek made them, and GM just sold them as portable 120v EVSEs. I'm not sure who figured it out, but a couple people took them apart and found out that yeah they're well-built and designed for 120 or 240. There were a couple of years of testimonials online before I made my adapter and tried it out (after verifying part numbers).

From what I can tell, it originated on the GM Volt forums.

Some models of the EVSE included with the Gen 1 Volt where also dual voltage, but not auto switching. You have to change a jumper inside the unit.

It was quickly discovered the Gen 2 unit was dual voltage out of the box; the PCB is actually labeled for it. This was further confirmed when the Euro version of the Bolt shipped with the same exact EVSE with just a different plug on it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Elviscat posted:

It's an irritatingly unsimple system. Just have the interface for how much to draw in the car.

If course then everyone sets it to *MAX POWER* and complains because it trips circuit breakers everywhere.

There is a proposal to extend the super simple J1772 "protocol" with the same complex PLC communication that CCS uses. For the purpose of enabling 2-way communication and control.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Charles posted:

Most of them do? The Porsche one does and sets max current based on which cable is plugged into it.

I had been thinking about getting a Juice Booster which does the same thing but smaller but I don't really need a different charger for now at least. Next summer maybe.

https://en.juice-world.com/juice-booster

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

We put ourselves on the waitlist for a RAV4 Prime at MSRP and I'd really love one, but we're still waffling about whether we want to drop $35k (after state and federal credits) on the out-the-door price of a car.

I started researching EVs/PHEVs a couple weeks ago and it's frustrating how dead the PHEV market seems to be. The general migration to full EVs makes sense for how most people drive, but the range just isn't there for our weird usage. We're a one car household, commute by walking/running/biking, and our primary use is for big errands with big cargo loads, road trips, and most commonly 3-day camping/backpacking trips to places that are 150-300 miles from home and 60 miles from one J1772 charger in a parking garage, which is probably technically manageable but something we're not prepared to worry about.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It really should be possible to skip the EVSE. Plug the car directly to the wall socket, just have a way to tell the car what kind of plug the cable has on the other end. Of course this would need a new EV socket standard, otherwise you could attach this new fancy cable to an EV that doesn't understand these EVSEless cables. Why you're at it make it smaller, there really is no need for separate AC and DC pins.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Saukkis posted:

It really should be possible to skip the EVSE. Plug the car directly to the wall socket, just have a way to tell the car what kind of plug the cable has on the other end. Of course this would need a new EV socket standard, otherwise you could attach this new fancy cable to an EV that doesn't understand these EVSEless cables. Why you're at it make it smaller, there really is no need for separate AC and DC pins.

I mean... yeah an EVSE is a simple device, and while technically the logic for it could be moved into the car.... But what benefit would this bring over the existing way it is done now?

Also... the tech has been improving and getting smaller.. There is already at least one EVSE out there that doesn't look like one at all. The entirety of the EVSE is built into the Type 2 plug that plugs into the car. It appears to be just a cable with a Type 2 on one end and a Euro plug on the other end. Youtuber Bjorn Nyland has one and has reviewed it on his channel.

I do agree with you on the AC/DC charging though. The connector Tesla uses in North America is pretty nifty because of this.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saukkis posted:

It really should be possible to skip the EVSE. Plug the car directly to the wall socket, just have a way to tell the car what kind of plug the cable has on the other end.

And presumably have some way of telling the car how big the fuse is? And some logic to cut the power if it detects an unsafe connection? Build the EVSE into the wall is what you're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

Most of them do? The Porsche one does and sets max current based on which cable is plugged into it.

I had been thinking about getting a Juice Booster which does the same thing but smaller but I don't really need a different charger for now at least. Next summer maybe.

https://en.juice-world.com/juice-booster

Oh that's cool, I couldn't find any on Amazon that do. That one is obviously designed for the Euro market so probably isn't on U.S. Amazon