Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Aight, that clears that up. No need for a rewatch then. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

Also can someone confirm if only Mion and not Shion was listed during that episode's credits?

This weeks episode had both of them in the credits

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure why they had to make the ending of this episode as dramatic as it was, complete with playing the credits early.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you're looking at it backwards—the credits aren't early, the episode ran long

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Eh if they really wanted to there was stuff they could have cut from the episode. Like I don't think we really needed the explanation of Oyashiro-sama's Curse again (They can make it clear its being explained to Keiichi without literally spending time on giving the audience purely redundant information) and I could have lived without the ice cream goober.

Not really a huge deal to me though, but I do agree with Nate RFB that they do play the buildup to the shed a little too dramatically.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's also just the fact that ostensibly, the audience should already know what's in the shed, and should also know that its contents are not actually *that* important for the events in the main story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope the manga gets translated cause after seeing how it handled the end of onidamashi i'm really, really interested in comparing how it handles the pacing in general tbh

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

There's also just the fact that ostensibly, the audience should already know what's in the shed, and should also know that its contents are not actually *that* important for the events in the main story.
Yeah. They play it like Keiichi finding out what's in the shed is him crossing some horrible point of no return but I'm not sure that's just really the right way to play that unless I'm just really forgetting how Watanagashi-hen went.

I guess they maybe also want old timers to wonder if there's something different and weird in the shed but if it ends up being what we expect then that's kind of lame.

The Colonel posted:

i hope the manga gets translated cause after seeing how it handled the end of onidamashi i'm really, really interested in comparing how it handles the pacing in general tbh
Its the emotional beats I wonder about myself. Like those Mion pages someone posted earlier from Onidamashi are wildly different from the show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah that too, like the way the manga presents the entire scene with rika and hanyuu is uh. ridiculously better than the show? it makes the scene actually feel like a tone setter that trends closer to what you'd expect based off the last chunk of the original story, instead of a weird aside lol

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I feel like I should just wait for each chapter to complete and watch them all at once because it's still retreading a lot of old ground without adding much in the way of new stuff in each episode.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

I feel like I should just wait for each chapter to complete and watch them all at once because it's still retreading a lot of old ground without adding much in the way of new stuff in each episode.

Yeah this is a pretty unnecessary sequel so far.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

Hard agree. This episode playing things so close to the original made it boring as gently caress, though tbf I played the whole series this year so it would presumably be better for people who played/watched the original stuff when it actually came out. The faster it breaks out of this structure, the better.

Hogama posted:

Purest speculation going by the BD volume listings and what's already been shown is that the first three arcs will be twists on the original ones (this makes up the first cour), the fourth arc will be a set-up/explanation of what's been going on, and the final arc will be the long resolution.
Vol. 1: 1-4, Vol. 2: 5-8, Vol. 3: 9-13, Vol. 4: 14-17, Vol. 5: 18-24 (4, 4, 5, 4, 7 episodes)

That sounds awesome, fingers crossed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I watched the first anime when it came out so I've forgotten almost all the details and don't mind the repeating, but on the other hand I'm also missing where exactly things have changed from the original.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's only small changes like the ending of chapter 1 fundamentally changing the direction of where the story is going and how ch1 itself can be read in the context of the greater plot

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Buckle up.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Rika just straight up telling him how it is

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So far this really is just Watanagashi except the doll exchange and I guess a reveal that Tomitake/Takano got the gently caress out of dodge which implies that at least *something* went extremely awry with Takano's plan.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
My wild speculation Rika's eyes going ominous red/purple isn't just visual metaphor for spoopy, but that this series is going to end with an entity known as Bernkastel being "born" and peacing out to drink tea and play games

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Reminds me of

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Yak of Wrath posted:

My wild speculation Rika's eyes going ominous red/purple isn't just visual metaphor for spoopy, but that this series is going to end with an entity known as Bernkastel being "born" and peacing out to drink tea and play games

I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe being thrown back into this after thinking it was finally over is what ends up causing Rika to crack or something.

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

If she's willing to be this direct after the last arc's light touch approach, I can imagine she'll eventually just gather all of them together, determine which sort of loop it is this time around, and engage in some fortune telling, solving the issues before they even have a chance to occur in the first place.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kreeblah posted:

I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe being thrown back into this after thinking it was finally over is what ends up causing Rika to crack or something.

is there any reason to believe this is after the end of the VN/first anime? I assumed this was just previously unseen loops from before they got out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The very beginning of episode 2 with Hanyuu/Rika.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Eliza posted:

If she's willing to be this direct after the last arc's light touch approach, I can imagine she'll eventually just gather all of them together, determine which sort of loop it is this time around, and engage in some fortune telling, solving the issues before they even have a chance to occur in the first place.

I think she's direct because she is convinced that this loop is toast and she's not expecting Keiichi to remember too much. She might still try a light touch approach in the next arc for all we know. But should be interesting to see if she gets more and more active as time passes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Droyer posted:

is there any reason to believe this is after the end of the VN/first anime? I assumed this was just previously unseen loops from before they got out.

there's no point in the middle of the original story that i can think of it fitting into. it wouldn't makes sense for (the manga version, at least, of) chapter 1 to establish how devastated rika is at them being thrown into the loops again, or to say she'll still muster up the courage to fight against this fate yet again, if it didn't take place after chapter 7. but this can't take place in between chapter 7 and 8 because chapter 8 is built narratively on coming directly after chapter 7, and doing this would severely weaken the point both of the final chapters make that everyone's grown past their issues and at this point are capable of taking care of themselves and avoiding the tragedies they'd otherwise fall into. the only way gou could possibly make that work is if it takes place after chapter 8 and is going to come up with some special reason why these things are happening now

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There are things that don't really make sense as a sequel either, though that could just be bad writing. Rika loving up the dance in the same way she hosed up previously seems weird, especially now that we know she has tons and tons of experience doing this. Plus she could just be more proactive about making sure Keiichi doesn't wander off. It's like Rika just became a passive idiot instead of doing anything to try to prevent a bad outcome. More generously, I guess Rika could just be giving in to despair again (which the last conversation in this episode points to) after seeing her attempted intervention backfire horribly in the last arc, especially if this isn't the very next loop she's experienced and she's seen other attempts backfire as well. I think some of it's going to end up being that some contrivances were kept in just to keep the arcs working as parallels as long as that's the format the show's sticking with though, and that's the main reason Rika isn't confiding in anyone after learning the power of friendship before.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sinteres posted:

There are things that don't really make sense as a sequel either, though that could just be bad writing. Rika loving up the dance in the same way she hosed up previously seems weird, especially now that we know she has tons and tons of experience doing this. Plus she could just be more proactive about making sure Keiichi doesn't wander off. It's like Rika just became a passive idiot instead of doing anything to try to prevent a bad outcome. More generously, I guess Rika could just be giving in to despair again (which the last conversation in this episode points to) after seeing her attempted intervention backfire horribly in the last arc, especially if this isn't the very next loop she's experienced and she's seen other attempts backfire as well. I think some of it's going to end up being that some contrivances were kept in just to keep the arcs working as parallels as long as that's the format the show's sticking with though, and that's the main reason Rika isn't confiding in anyone after learning the power of friendship before.
I mean, if it isn't a sequel, then the entire scene with Hanyuu makes no sense. Furthermore, she appears in that scene as a high school girl, as well as on the poster The show so far has made it pretty explicit that she's been sent back into the loops from later in life.

There is no point between loops in the original Higurashi where Rika can say this, given that she doesn't learn it until the next-to-last loop, and forgets between it and the next.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 16, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wasn't trying to suggest it wasn't, just that I wish it had gone full out in presenting it that way instead of this weird parallel structure.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I actually don't remember the "Rika loving up the dance" thing, was it present in the original anime as well? Alternatively, she could just be doing it on purpose as a way of checking if Keiichi was there (and if she's in the Watanagashi-hen fragment or not) but I don't know the details since I didn't read that chapter of the VN.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Big Scary Owl posted:

I actually don't remember the "Rika loving up the dance" thing, was it present in the original anime as well? Alternatively, she could just be doing it on purpose as a way of checking if Keiichi was there (and if she's in the Watanagashi-hen fragment or not) but I don't know the details since I didn't read that chapter of the VN.

I just chalked it up to Rika realizing what shard she was in, noticing Keiichi wasn't there, and making the mistake to confirm. :shrug:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think it was in the VN, but I could be misremembering. Deliberately failing as an alarm system kind of makes sense, though it's still weird for her to be so reactive rather than proactive about everything unless we find out she did try warning Tomitake and that's why he and Takano took off instead of the usual events playing out. Maybe I should wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

she certainly seems to be acting passive so far, but considering the bizarre circumstances of rika's death in the first cycle this time i don't think we can say for sure that she isn't up to something behind the scenes

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I'm guessing that there is a new force/enemy that has prevented Rika from succeeding or possibly even attempting the original "solution", otherwise I imagine she'd at least attempt it each run rewatching I think the big clue is VN Spoilers the line "but both of them are already dead" which implies that Takano is dead, Rika has no reason to say this if she knows Takano is alive and masterminding her demise, but if the original villain is dead... everything goes out the window

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The main problem I have with any idea of her doing much behind the scenes is that while friendship alone proved insufficient in Minagoroshi, it proved to be a pretty critical part of Matsuribayashi. Even if Rika has to go back to the drawing board because the threat has changed, the idea that she'd go back to trying to do everything without seeking help from her friends feels off to me, especially knowing that something like Keiichi following Shion into the shrine can and has led to a bad ending that doesn't even require Takano's direct involvement. I should probably stop worrying about what does and doesn't make sense at any given point though and just go along for the ride, and I think I might wait to watch the next arc when it's complete instead of week to week. I can always be critical later if things don't make sense when it all wraps up.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
A theory I've seen that makes sense is that The Rika in the vision during episode 2 (highschool Rika) isn't the same Rika doing these loops, since this Rika hasn't actually tried, well, anything that we know she knows is a solution to the mysteries. It feels more like this is a Rika who is still trying things out to solve the problem: she knows that the doll is the key point, etc, but now what the actual solution is. If this is a Hanyuu-less Rika, then it makes sense for her to not have gotten so far, and to give into just telling Keichi he's and idiot and he sucks because she doesn't even have her friend to help out. But I dunno how this matches up with the other Rika, or why we're getting this one and not her.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
More questions than answers. Tataridamashi up next.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's no real way of knowing which of the twins is doing any given thing at any given moment unless you can see the tattoo, right?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

OnimaruXLR posted:

There's no real way of knowing which of the twins is doing any given thing at any given moment unless you can see the tattoo, right?
There's generally no way of confirming it physically, but you can use other evidence to make an educated guess. For example, in original Higurashi ch2, the fact that "Mion" didn't show the tattoo implied she might actually be Shion, as did her obsession with having "Shion" call her "Mion". Neither of those things represent absolute proof, but together, they let you reasonably conclude that the "Mion" who appears in the ending is really Shion.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 19, 2020

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

OnimaruXLR posted:

In the original Chapters 2 and 5 Shion carries out her investigation/revenge with a uh... distinct flair. Between Rika & Satoko's deaths being flipped, and the subdued efficiency displayed, I'd say this was definitely all the real Mion gone terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I think it was Mion yeah, the proof is in the boobs. The corpse in the well had bigger boobs so it was Shion. The boobs don't lie. The real question is what the gently caress happened and what was the yamainu trying to do? Wtf happened to Satoko?