Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Part of the fix for this is job priorities - some of those pawns shouldn't have Construction active, or should have it at like, priority 3 or 4. You could also try limiting them to certain areas, which I do sometimes to make sure that like, my doctor isn't loving off across the map to try to pick up 17 silver when she should be tending patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

You could also try limiting them to certain areas, which I do sometimes to make sure that like, my doctor isn't loving off across the map to try to pick up 17 silver when she should be tending patients.

Oh yeah, I've totally done this.

For clarification, the leaving a patient to go pick up 5 bucks things, I'm not talking about the game. :V

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Job priorties/zoning.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

My autopsy mod seems to be broken; I get bodies on the table, the doc does his thing, but there's no organs dropped. The bodies say things are removed in the health tab, but again, nothing anywhere. :shrug:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Turn your people into bionic demi-gods that only take 10 seconds to cross the entire map with 500%+ movement, or you could have people dedicated/prioritized to building and farming unless you are trying to have them level up various skills for backup or rushing work.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Moon Slayer posted:

My autopsy mod seems to be broken; I get bodies on the table, the doc does his thing, but there's no organs dropped. The bodies say things are removed in the health tab, but again, nothing anywhere. :shrug:

This information isn't visible anywhere in game that I can recall, but there's a time limit that starts after the pawn dies, and ends depending on the level of your autopsy table. It starts at a couple of hours or so and goes up from there, but I don't remember the exact numbers. The mod still lets you perform the autopsy job even if this limit is passed, you just get nothing from it.

Edit: Assuming you are using the "harvest organs post-mortem" mod and not some other one.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 9, 2020

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kibbles n Shits posted:

This information isn't visible anywhere in game that I can recall, but there's a time limit that starts after the pawn dies, and ends depending on the level of your autopsy table. It starts at a couple of hours or so and goes up from there, but I don't remember the exact numbers. The mod still lets you perform the autopsy job even if this limit is passed, you just get nothing from it.

Edit: Assuming you are using the "harvest organs post-mortem" mod and not some other one.

Also you aren’t guaranteed organs, with the odds going up with the research levels and medical skill.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ah, gotcha. I guess that's a concession to balance. Getting a half dozen hearts in the early game would definitely make things easier.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Moon Slayer posted:

Top are higher priority but they'll be skipped if you don't have the required material and the game won't tell you that you don't.
They are also skipped if they're tagged with someone else having partially completed the object

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Autopsys on nonhumams also is sometimes buggy and won't produce stuff.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Huh, I don't normally bother with stripping corpses before tossing them into the incinerator but it looks like utility items like smokepop belts and shieldbelts don't count as tainted even if the wearer dies with them on. Gotta remember that if I happen to kill a raider who's wearing a low-shield pack and dies before he can deploy it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Alpha Animals gives a great reason to strip corpses if you’re raising Angel Moths for silk and need some clothes to feed them.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

is there a mod that turns 'abandoned' settlements into AI settlements of your faction? i saw the Empire mod but it looks a little too heavy for what i want, which is literally just the settlement turning into a faction base that you could trade with etc

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

strong bird posted:

is there a mod that turns 'abandoned' settlements into AI settlements of your faction? i saw the Empire mod but it looks a little too heavy for what i want, which is literally just the settlement turning into a faction base that you could trade with etc
There definitely is one. Haven't launched rimworld in a while so it'll take some experimentation to find out which mods are broken, but this mod is rather memorable for other reasons:

Danaru posted:

I gotta ask

silentsnack posted:

lmao yea got like 330 mods active and I keep forgetting to delete the ones I never use (or disable pointless features like that one)

I think that was from RIMMSqol and I'd guess it means "customize your minions" but tldr: it's a redundant (and bad) character editor/rpglike powerup thing. That mod also adds a bunch of other halfbaked crap like two completely independent "make your own faction" mechanics, neither of which is ever worth using (except to transfer colonists/prisoners which is functionally teleport+cryptosleep, or to pay silver+materials to craft stuff you haven't researched)

...now that I think of it basically everything that mod does outside of the actual 'quality of life' options is tacked-on feature creep.

As implied it is on the heavy side but at least it also adds a button that lets you disable all the extra irrelevant bells and whistles.

e: to be clear, one of the faction tools is that you get a 'create city' button on the worldmap (where caravan commands like 'attack' or 'trade' go) and the other makes it so abandoning colonists doesn't make everyone depressed and you can talk/interact with them with a comms console.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 12, 2020

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i already use that one actually for the def editing stuff. i havent ever been able to interact with the abandoned colony but maybe its because im using a tribal-tier comms console mod

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

strong bird posted:

a tribal-tier comms console

So it's made out of coconuts like on Gilligan's Island?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Think its smoke sigmals.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

its a carrier pigeon (produces 1 power) and a writing desk (uses 1 power). its actually medieval tier now that i look at it. theres also wood-burning trade beacon fires

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2019297016

strong bird fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 12, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Well now I want a Gilligan's Island mod where everything including spacer tech is coconut-based.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Neolithic>Medieval>Industrial>Spacer>Ultra>Arcoconut

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

QuarkJets posted:

This is anecdotal but it does seem like proximity to factions effects what kind of visitors and raids you get, this is especially noticeable when you settle near friendly tribal villages versus more advanced settlements. I don't know what the rules are, but proximity seems to matter.

My best base location ever, I was between two warring factions. They'd show up, have fights, and leave corpses and their valuable belongings behind.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

strong bird posted:

its a carrier pigeon (produces 1 power)

Hmm... with enough batteries and enough pigeons, there has to be a way to create some absurd method of getting enough power to get rimatomics nuclear power up and running with just birb power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One genetically engineered coconut the size of the arecibo telescope.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Started a new save file with highest Medical at 5.

My sole captured pawn has now had his infected foot amputated, which went wrong and removed his leg, and three separate attempts to install a peg leg, which left him with significant injuries that have now healed. He's going to be renamed "Gimpy" which frankly is an improvement on his birth name, "Olga".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My sole captured pawn has now had his infected foot amputated, which went wrong and removed his leg, and three separate attempts to install a peg leg, which left him with significant injuries that have now healed. He's going to be renamed "Gimpy" which frankly is an improvement on his birth name, "Olga".

How pissy is he at the doc.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Cutting off the foot can't be that hard - if I mess up, there's plenty of leg left as a backup; I can always cut higher."

"poo poo."

"gently caress!"

"Okay, well, cutting off a leg can't be that hard, and there's still plenty of torso left as a backup..."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't played this game in years, is there a general Prepare Carefully preset that everyone likes? I don't remember what's good and bad. I can't find any presets to download either, which seems strange to me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Iirc, presets save colonists too. But a good general rule of thumb is to emulate vanilla.

Give everyone a starting weapon, ideally a Heavy SMG which is apparently super high DPS?
50-ish survival meals, which will last part of a season to give you time to set up and harvest some rice
An assortment of steel and silver. I usually run with 750 steel and 500 silver which helps a lot early on
Like 30-40 cloth so you can build proper beds on the first or second day
Parkas and tuques for everyone if and only if you're mad enough to embark in the arctic

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

Iirc, presets save colonists too. But a good general rule of thumb is to emulate vanilla.

Give everyone a starting weapon, ideally a Heavy SMG which is apparently super high DPS?
50-ish survival meals, which will last part of a season to give you time to set up and harvest some rice
An assortment of steel and silver. I usually run with 750 steel and 500 silver which helps a lot early on
Like 30-40 cloth so you can build proper beds on the first or second day
Parkas and tuques for everyone if and only if you're mad enough to embark in the arctic

You don't need cloth to build beds though? I assume that's a mod.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

hopeandjoy posted:

You don't need cloth to build beds though? I assume that's a mod.

Seems like it. Now I get to figure out which one of my dozens is making the change. :suicide:

Oh well, adding wood to your prepare carefully prep-list isn't a bad idea either, for the same reason.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I give the colonists bedrolls to land with.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think I'm going to go the opposite route for a gimmick run/something to switch over to occasionally from my main play-through: naked brutality, random start, but make the colonist a super soldier.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

I think I'm going to go the opposite route for a gimmick run/something to switch over to occasionally from my main play-through: naked brutality, random start, but make the colonist a super soldier.

That actually seems really cool, like you're roleplaying Schwarzenegger at the end of Predator

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have the same five dudes I use for every colony. All tribals but I know what they do by name.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

You can do this but the colonist will complain all the time about the colony being super wealthy even though it's just him and a dead lizard he just punched to death, so you need to give him all the positive mood traits you can or he will throw fits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SugarAddict posted:

You can do this but the colonist will complain all the time about the colony being super wealthy even though it's just him and a dead lizard he just punched to death, so you need to give him all the positive mood traits you can or he will throw fits.
Psychite tea ASAP is probably a pretty good idea, in that case. Recreation boost, tiredness and pain removal, a mood buff, and it's both hard to get addicted and not very punishing if you do.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Arnie naked and alone melting down about eating his raw rat without a table sounds pretty funny actually.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

If you want a good option for both this and piling on the super soldier aspect, add the witcher mod and give him the Trial of The Elders condition.

Bam ultimate hellsoldier who doesnt care if he is literally at 0 mood.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Just lost a long time colony, and I'm looking for something different. Can someone hit me with a nice big modlist?

Ideas for a themed playthrough are also welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zosologist posted:

Just lost a long time colony, and I'm looking for something different. Can someone hit me with a nice big modlist?

Ideas for a themed playthrough are also welcome.

I've been playing with Combat Extended which has significantly better out of the box compatibility than it used to, works with the vanilla extended stuff and androids/SOS2, so it makes for quite a good tech/tactical combat based game. SOS2 also seems to have added a bunch of really late game content too.

Unrelated:

bible of crazy pasta

larry