Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
So eh, I just saw the first episode of the two parter season premiere in what I think will be the last season of SVU... It's about BLM... Finn is all of a sudden very conscious of the police bias after having been used as a racial shield for 20 years. Olivia does struggle with the thought that she might actually have a racial bias but this is ruined by every other person going "oh no Olivia, your only bias is towards always believing the victims!". So far The main villains are basically a SJW jury that's getting tricked by an obvious rapist because police bad :downs: Can't wait for the hypothetical episode where some protesters are mowed down but it turns out to have been a SJW with a personal grudge all along!
...It's not very good.

I don't know why I chose to give it a look after they made that horrific thinly veiled Ilhan Omar episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sarcopenia posted:

So eh, I just saw the first episode of the two parter season premiere in what I think will be the last season of SVU...

Yeah, you’d think that, but they already have orders for another two seasons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sarcopenia posted:

So eh, I just saw the first episode of the two parter season premiere in what I think will be the last season of SVU... It's about BLM... Finn is all of a sudden very conscious of the police bias after having been used as a racial shield for 20 years. Olivia does struggle with the thought that she might actually have a racial bias but this is ruined by every other person going "oh no Olivia, your only bias is towards always believing the victims!". So far The main villains are basically a SJW jury that's getting tricked by an obvious rapist because police bad :downs: Can't wait for the hypothetical episode where some protesters are mowed down but it turns out to have been a SJW with a personal grudge all along!
...It's not very good.

I don't know why I chose to give it a look after they made that horrific thinly veiled Ilhan Omar episode.

It's SVU. The entire point, purpose, and raison d'etre of the show is "make horrific police abuses look not only good, but impossible to argue against, by framing them as the only defense against a world full of rapists and pedophiles coming for your loved ones." I really don't know what you were expecting.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's SVU. The entire point, purpose, and raison d'etre of the show is "make horrific police abuses look not only good, but impossible to argue against, by framing them as the only defense against a world full of rapists and pedophiles coming for your loved ones." I really don't know what you were expecting.

I watched probably ten seasons of that show and many of those with my SO who had severe issues with depression and PTSD from guess what.

But then the show started multiplying and getting frankly worse with depictions of police violence and it was no longer a way of bonding it was just me leaving the room when bensen or stabler would just go off on the end of the episode crazy.

Someone should mention that actual police deal with a very small number of these types of cases and it's actually realistic that the entire SVU cast would be mental and just beating random confessions out of people. None of the cases would be solved everyone would be on leave.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I can't wait for Ice-T to explain the cool new thing all the kids are doing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On a lighter note, I got reminded of this video while thinking about internet detritus I liked as a kid: (:nws: for language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQIf5fS8xw

Whoo lord that's a lot more rape jokes than I remember it having

There's still some GOAT-tier lines in that video, but, gently caress, that's a lot of goddamn rape jokes

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Someone should mention that actual police deal with a very small number of these types of cases and it's actually realistic that the entire SVU cast would be mental and just beating random confessions out of people. None of the cases would be solved everyone would be on leave.

I also recall reading somewhere that in real life SVU officers get rotated out and none of them stay there NEARLY as long as the people on the show precisely so they don’t go this bug nuts insane.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Nov 16, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

AceOfFlames posted:

I also recall reading somewhere that in real life SVU officers get rotated out and none of them stay there NEARLY as long as the people on the show precisely so they don’t go this bug nuts insane.

The early seasons of the show (Or maybe just the first?) semi-regularly point that fact out, saying they usually only last 2 years and a few minor characters do leave. Naturally, that doesn’t last long in the show as they just focus on Benson and Stabler for a decade.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I really don't know what you were expecting.
I don't think you really read my post if you think I was expecting more.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I'm really curious what Brooklyn 99 is going to do - they did say that they scrapped the planned season in the wake of the BLM protests and I know they've not got the same hard-on for cops that other shows seem to have.

I'm secretly hoping for the first episode to begin with 'well, we all got fired and we're private detectives now!'

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I'm really curious what Brooklyn 99 is going to do - they did say that they scrapped the planned season in the wake of the BLM protests and I know they've not got the same hard-on for cops that other shows seem to have.

I'm secretly hoping for the first episode to begin with 'well, we all got fired and we're private detectives now!'

Huh, I didn't know they were still making it after Fox cancelled it. According to wikipedia:

quote:

Samberg also stated that the series will be "striking a balance" between addressing police brutality and maintaining its comedic style.[20] It will also incorporate the COVID-19 pandemic during the season.[18]

Sounds like a season that won't age well at all. :lol:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t tell if your being sarcastic.

Because police brutality and COVID are realistically never going away

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well, COVID will likely have a vaccine widely available by summer, unless for some unforeseen reason Americans are either not able to get access or will refuse to receive it, both of which seem like absurd outcomes that no healthy democracy could allow.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess I just don't trust a sitcom to address them in a great way. I don't know if a Very Special Episode about police violence, followed by another wacky episode about police hijinks is the way to go here.

edit: Brooklyn 99 has done a couple other episodes on serious topics that were handled... okay I guess. Certainly better than the laugh-track sitcoms of the 80s did.

wa27 has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Nov 16, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Well, COVID will likely have a vaccine widely available by summer, unless for some unforeseen reason Americans are either not able to get access or will refuse to receive it, both of which seem like absurd outcomes that no healthy democracy could allow.

:thejoke:?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

:thejoke:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Uh.

A very large amount of people are already refusing to take the vaccine when it happens because Trump said so and also because Bill Gates is putting microchips in the vaccine to control us with 5G waves.

We are so hosed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

wa27 posted:

I guess I just don't trust a sitcom to address them in a great way. I don't know if a Very Special Episode about police violence, followed by another wacky episode about police hijinks is the way to go here.

edit: Brooklyn 99 has done a couple other episodes on serious topics that were handled... okay I guess. Certainly better than the laugh-track sitcoms of the 80s did.

Oh I thought you meant because of its topical nature.

No they will absolutely gandle it in a very special episode way. Like all sitcoms tend to do

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I think what will always stick in my memory, and something that I'm pretty sure has been pointed out before in this thread on more than one occasion, was when they had brought in the new prosecutor whose job was basically to stay on Stabler's rear end because his method of beating confessions out of people kept leading to convictions being overturned in appeals, and it was very loving clear that we were supposed to be on his side against the bitchy lawyer who wanted him to do his job properly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Obviously we are on his side. No one is ever on a lawyers side.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I could definitely see Brooklyn Nine-Nine taking a strong stance on the issue of police brutality, especially since the character most likely to do it (Rosa) is also played by one of the actors that came out the hardest against it across all of TV.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll land on the right side of history or anything, or that it won't just be a Very Special Episode. But they have said that they threw out the entire season plan when the protests started, so I'm guessing we might see a permanent shift for the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

I think what will always stick in my memory, and something that I'm pretty sure has been pointed out before in this thread on more than one occasion, was when they had brought in the new prosecutor whose job was basically to stay on Stabler's rear end because his method of beating confessions out of people kept leading to convictions being overturned in appeals, and it was very loving clear that we were supposed to be on his side against the bitchy lawyer who wanted him to do his job properly.

That and the exceptionally scummy looking Internal Affairs agents who keep jumping up his rear end demanding his badge and gun, referred to as the "rat squad" by the characters in the show.

You could show episodes of that show as a case study in how popular media has aggressively manipulated the public perception of police with the defending argument "they always get the bad guy, some hurt feelings/broken bones aren't a big deal" like a loving fairy tale where there are never unintended consequences.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

pentyne posted:

That and the exceptionally scummy looking Internal Affairs agents who keep jumping up his rear end demanding his badge and gun, referred to as the "rat squad" by the characters in the show.

You could show episodes of that show as a case study in how popular media has aggressively manipulated the public perception of police with the defending argument "they always get the bad guy, some hurt feelings/broken bones aren't a big deal" like a loving fairy tale where there are never unintended consequences.

You see this even in shows that are supposed to be more critical as well. Like the shield and to a lesser degree the Wire

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

You see this even in shows that are supposed to be more critical as well. Like the shield and to a lesser degree the Wire

Except in The Shield it was completely obvious the Team was grossly corrupt by any standard and The Wire was a critique on the entire system as a whole.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

pentyne posted:

Except in The Shield it was completely obvious the Team was grossly corrupt by any standard and The Wire was a critique on the entire system as a whole.

That’s the problem, the team is corrupt but the police use their horrible methods and without fail they succeed.

Like the end of the second episode is Vic beating the poo poo out of a pedi and consequently saving a child’s life.

Like for how much the show may not want to be to praise full of Vic he is objectively effective and very rarely wrong

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Apropos of nothing if you did a tally of all the dead petty officers from the NCIS cinematic universe would the navy even have any left at this point?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Petty officers seem to grow on trees according to this, so I imagine they can spare a few as redshirts.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maximum Overdrive was the first R rated horror movie I ever watched. I think I was like 7 years old and that scene where they killed a kid by running them over with a steam roller has stuck with me ever since. No one kills kids in a horror movie!

IMDB says they cut 3 seconds from that scene to avoid an x-rating.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maximum Overdrive was the first R rated horror movie I ever watched. I think I was like 7 years old and that scene where they killed a kid by running them over with a steam roller has stuck with me ever since. No one kills kids in a horror movie!

It’s a good job you never watched The Toxic Avenger.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

On a lighter note, I got reminded of this video while thinking about internet detritus I liked as a kid: (:nws: for language)

There's still some GOAT-tier lines in that video, but, gently caress, that's a lot of goddamn rape jokes

"I used to say "this is a Dodge" all the time when driving around town. Still pops in my head alot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GoutPatrol posted:

"I used to say "this is a Dodge" all the time when driving around town. Still pops in my head alot.

"Red-looking motherfucking mustard-looking mustard" pops into my head way too often.

Like, I feel like comedy usually either entirely ages badly or entirely ages well, but this video somehow has a near 50/50 ratio of absolute bullseyes vs. bits that make me cringe at what I used to laugh at when I was 12.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SVU, was that the show that had the episode where not-Paula Deen shot not-Trayvon Martin?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Asterite34 posted:

SVU, was that the show that had the episode where not-Paula Deen shot not-Trayvon Martin?

I'm really glad business insider wtf ever that is was like turn off your ad blocker so i could instead find something called ew.com

https://ew.com/article/2013/10/03/svu-trayvon-martin-paula-deen/

ew.com says yeas this is very very toxic on so many levels

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

The constant giggling in the background really endears this to me despite some of the really bad content. I imagine these people weren't too much older than we were when we were watching it for the first time.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
comb yo beard i don’t wanna hear that poo poo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Every time I try to post something in this thread it doesn't work. That's really weird.

Edit: Except this time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Every time I try to post something in this thread it doesn't work. That's really weird.

Edit: Except this time.

Are you using the awful app? Trying to post is being weird for me too.

Maybe it’s Richard’s Revenge!!!!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nope, just regular Chrome.

Anyway, what I've been trying to say is a weird thing about the whole "Juggernaut Bitch" meme is that it was so big it actually ended up in an actual X-Men movie.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

muscles like this! posted:

Nope, just regular Chrome.

Anyway, what I've been trying to say is a weird thing about the whole "Juggernaut Bitch" meme is that it was so big it actually ended up in an actual X-Men movie.

Speaking of not aging well, yelling it at his half-brother and certified old man Charles Xavier was a funny comedy bit. Him yelling it at literal child Ellen Page was a bit... X3 WAS BAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

Speaking of not aging well, yelling it at his half-brother and certified old man Charles Xavier was a funny comedy bit. Him yelling it at literal child Ellen Page was a bit... X3 WAS BAD.

That wasn't even the worst thing said at literal child Ellen Page during that movie