Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bij posted:

The last couple patches in COH 2 changed a bunch of stuff and the majority of that stuff is how I played with USA and Wehr. It broke everything I loved.

How so? Keeping in mind I was a Soviet/UK player so might not know all the details of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

They changed the officer progression for the USA so the Captain unlocks what used to be Lieutenant stuff and vice-versa. I used to rely on speedy Lt's with BARs to mop up trash and spam bazookas on riflemen but the zooks seem way worse than they used to as far as accuracy and penetration. The Wehrmacht had their unit progression tweaked so you get panzergrenadiers first and they feel horrendously squishy compared to regular grenadiers. Schrecks don't have the same feel either.

I mostly do compstomps with friends so I am not on top of the meta or anything but the playstyles for those two factions feel vastly different. OKW and Soviets still have the same kind of vibe and some of the newer Soviet commanders are super good. The Guards airborne squads are obscene, they can take free PPSHs or upgrade to DP LMGs for 100 munitions and the commander can drop a DSHK and SVT crates for conscripts.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
I'm looking for a new tactical game a la X-COM but haven't managed to find much ever since Steam's "related game" functionality became a bit poo poo. I've got pretty much all of the X-COM games, including the series stinkers Apocalypse and Bureau. I've got (and have enjoyed) the Mutant game. Additionally, my interests lie with something a bit more like Depth of Extinction - there's no real time limit, you can find (rather than "purchase") new party members through play, your party members can gain new abilities as you progress, and there are side quest type things you can do - but a bit less mind-numbingly samey as that game's missions. Is this another white whale to add to my pile of white whales?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flail Snail posted:

I'm looking for a new tactical game a la X-COM but haven't managed to find much ever since Steam's "related game" functionality became a bit poo poo. I've got pretty much all of the X-COM games, including the series stinkers Apocalypse and Bureau. I've got (and have enjoyed) the Mutant game. Additionally, my interests lie with something a bit more like Depth of Extinction - there's no real time limit, you can find (rather than "purchase") new party members through play, your party members can gain new abilities as you progress, and there are side quest type things you can do - but a bit less mind-numbingly samey as that game's missions. Is this another white whale to add to my pile of white whales?

If you hadn't said you have all the X-Com games, I'd say what you are describing sounds almost exactly like XCOM®: Chimera Squad.

You might enjoy Alien Swarm, it's free. Although it is a real-time 3rd person shooter that plays best online and the community is usually pretty rough on new players.

Did you ever play Final Fantasy Tactics? Or the Disgaea games?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Flail Snail posted:

If you have a Switch, Mario and Rabbits is somehow an excellent XCOM alike, and regularly goes on sale for big discounts.

Battletech is great fun once sped up, and I've heard good things about Gears Tactics but haven't played it.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have played Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea. Fell Seal is on my wishlist. Disgaea was way back on the Wii and PSP so perhaps revisiting a newer entry should be in the cards.

No Switch, unfortunately. I discounted Battletech and Gears Tactics due to mistaken assumptions. I'll take another look at both.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Flail Snail posted:

Have you tried Troubleshooter? It is essentially a JRPG that uses the tactical format of XCOM. You do get party members as the campaign advances, they also do get new abilities and masteries as you progress (and you can customize these in a very modular faction) and there optional missions you can do, though I am not sure if that's what you mean by side quests. The game is better translated than the store page, for what's worth, though it still has the occasional Engrish here and there, so if you don't mind the relatively anime aesthetics and enjoy tactics games I'd very much recommend it, it has a very solid tactical layer. It also manages to do what XCOM fails, in that mid-late game is meaningfully harder than the early game. Your party members do get their share of bullshit abilities like in XCOM, but the opposition is capable of throwing bullshit right back at you too.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Gears is definitely worth checking out on gamepass.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

I'm vaguely aware of this. The Steam page mentioned that it was set in the world of Troubleshooter. I was hesitant to get into something where I would get none of the references but, looking into it now, there don't seem to be any other world of Troubleshooter products. Onto the list it goes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, Gears Tactics was surprisingly excellent. No real metagame though, if that's a sticking point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm playing through the Battle for Middle Earth campaign for the first time. I just recreated that famous, tragic scene from The Fellowship of the Ring. The one where Boromir is completely fine and then everyone (including Gandalf who had easily bested the Balrog single-handedly in the first mission) shows up to murder Lurtz and a good hundred Uruk-hai. Frodo and Sam still jump on the boat and go off on their own tho.

Yes, this game takes liberties. :geno:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I've been playing Partisans 1941, basically a Russian Commando game with some light management systems.

You have set characters that have skill tree and inventory so you can tailor your band to your play style. The game put more emphasis on ambush and fire fights than the Commando game, where in many mission you are expected to fight and it won't devolve into the entire map coming after you. It plays kind of like MOW when the shooting starts with cover and flanking. You can also slow down time in most difficulty level to make decision and synchronize move.

Missions are all tailor made, and I believe there are 15 missions. Though between missions there's usually a few days of downtime where base management comes in.

You can assign your partisan members tasks to find food and material or go on raid to get loot/supply. You can build a few structures that help with resource gain and workshop to make and upgrade weapon.

It's pretty fun if you are looking for this type of game.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

I've been playing Partisans 1941, basically a Russian Commando game with some light management systems.

You have set characters that have skill tree and inventory so you can tailor your band to your play style. The game put more emphasis on ambush and fire fights than the Commando game, where in many mission you are expected to fight and it won't devolve into the entire map coming after you. It plays kind of like MOW when the shooting starts with cover and flanking. You can also slow down time in most difficulty level to make decision and synchronize move.

Missions are all tailor made, and I believe there are 15 missions. Though between missions there's usually a few days of downtime where base management comes in.

You can assign your partisan members tasks to find food and material or go on raid to get loot/supply. You can build a few structures that help with resource gain and workshop to make and upgrade weapon.

It's pretty fun if you are looking for this type of game.

How does it comoare to Desperados III?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

How does it comoare to Desperados III?

Unfortunately I have not played Desperado 3, but comparing to Blade of the Shogun and what I remember of Desperado, there's more option for open combat as combat sound is really small, about the size of your screen at max zoom and the enemy placement are usually clustered in groups so you won't alert the whole map when you start combat. Each character has two unique ability and on most level you can decide most of your team roster though some character have extremely similar ability (hey, this guy can go full auto and kill all target in a cone shape area while this guy can fire a shotgun blast that kills all target in a cone shape area).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 20, 2020

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Unfortunately I have not played Desperado 3, but comparing to Blade of the Shogun and what I remember of Desperado, there's more option for open combat as combat sound is really small, about the size of your screen at max zoom and the enemy placement are usually clustered in groups so you won't alert the whole map when you start combat. Each character has two unique ability and on most level you can decide most of your team roster though some character have extremely similar ability (hey, this guy can go full auto and kill sall target in a cone shape area while this guy can fire a shotgun blast that kills all target in a cone shape area).

You should play Desperados III then! :) It also has way more focus on combat compared to shadow tactics.

I'll take a look at partisans, thanks for the write up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played the demo a while back and the combat is very slightly reminiscent of a small-scale COH.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Any enterprising goons tried Dwarfheim yet?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ZearothK posted:

That sounds super cool someone please give a yes/no on if it's any good or not

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

man I am having a blast in aoe2 using Malay on water migration maps; just ring your coast with infinite tower docks and nothing can land

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I played the earlier demo. While the idea sounds cool, it was extremely unpolished. Unit movement and pathfinding were bad. Lots of number like damage and resource gathering rate were in various state of placeholder

Not sure how much progress they made since then.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

StashAugustine posted:

man I am having a blast in aoe2 using Malay on water migration maps; just ring your coast with infinite tower docks and nothing can land

I beat a malay with aztecs after they'd upgraded to harbors. It was a lower elo game but even so there's no way I should have won that lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, looks like the next Spellforce 3 expansion will include a semi-F2P version of its PVP/Skirmish mode. It will let you play one of three factions for free, and if you want the other five you'll have to buy "upgrade packs."
https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1322146999521677313

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Mordja posted:

Huh, looks like the next Spellforce 3 expansion will include a semi-F2P version of its PVP/Skirmish mode. It will let you play one of three factions for free, and if you want the other five you'll have to buy "upgrade packs."
https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1322146999521677313

picked this up over the weekend since well, it's free. Pretty drat solid game and looks beautiful. no idea if anyone actually plays though.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
so, any thoughts on the age of empires' definitive editions? i keep reading mixed opinions about all three of them in regards to performance, and aoe3 apparently changed some gameplay mechanics for the native american factions. how well has that all turned out?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

drkeiscool posted:

so, any thoughts on the age of empires' definitive editions? i keep reading mixed opinions about all three of them in regards to performance, and aoe3 apparently changed some gameplay mechanics for the native american factions. how well has that all turned out?

I haven't played AoE3:DE yet, but I can comment on the first two:

I'd say AoE2:DE is better than "mixed." If you enjoyed any previous version this one is better in pretty much every way. The quality of life improvements have turned out to be really good (economy is less time-consuming later in the game) and the addition of a ranked ladder has made online play worlds better than before. Also note that some complaints about DE may be outdated: there were definitely bugs and balance issues (Cumins were initially stupid overpowered) but they've mostly been fixed over the last year.

I got AoE1:DE and played it for a little while, but I couldn't get into it. It didn't get as much of an improvement as AoE2 did, but I'm not sure how much that game even can be improved. Someone else described AoE1 as always feeling "unfinished" and that's how I feel playing it: I'm always instinctively looking for some mechanic that's in AoE2 (ex: not being able to garrison in a Town Center makes early economy way more vulnerable compared to AoE2).

TLDR: If you've enjoyed AoE2 then AoE2:DE is worth the $15-$20. Then join the Goon Discord or PM me if you want to get in on Goon games.

e: There is also a dedicated AoE2 thread.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

drkeiscool posted:

For AoE3DE, they added a few new things and reworked others:

- New Civs (Swedes and Incas) that are questionably balanced
- New maps (mostly taken from the ESOC map pack)
- Revolution mechanic fleshed out and more Revolution civs added (e.g. Canada and Romania)
- Sioux/Iroquois renamed to Lakota/Haudenosaunee. Both civs must now must build a 25W building next to mines to collect from them. They also re-recorded voice lines for both civs with terrible audio quality and changed some unit names (e.g. Dog Soldier -> Tokala Soldier).
- Nature Friendship removed from all Native Explorers and replaced with other abilities (Aztec Warchief's new ability is plain useless, unfortunately)
- Fire Pit changed to Community Plaza for all native civs
- Grenadiers get a card that makes them muskets with aoe
- Basically all of the balance changes from the ESOC patch
- Asian civs get gently caress all as usual, other than the balance tweaks
- Mod browser

The gameplay is mostly unchanged, but the game is currently buggy as hell (including a bug where the game wipes everything in the C: drive). Devs are pushing out weekly patches though, so it should eventually be a good game.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Catastrophe90 posted:

(including a bug where the game wipes everything in the C: drive).

I've been playing that for the last few weeks and WHAT THE gently caress? :stare:

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've put a few hundred hours into AoE2 DE with some friends and have nothing but good things to say about it. Visually it's really improved, and the gameplay is as balanced and full of variety as it's ever been. It's also getting a bit anniversary update some time this month, it's been supported and patched/balanced regularly since launch which is nice.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
hmmm, i guess i'll look at getting the first 2 definitive editions then, and hold off on the third for the time being.

also uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Catastrophe90 posted:

The gameplay is mostly unchanged, but the game is currently buggy as hell (including a bug where the game wipes everything in the C: drive).

what?!?!

drkeiscool fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 11, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I almost bought AOE 3:DE last weekend but all the reviews mentioning that the game somehow started deleting 20 GB of random files on C: made me decide to wait.

Like how the gently caress does a bug like that happen in 2020?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i also just realized there's a couple fluff trailers for aoe4. i've always been a fan so i'm excited, although i'm also a bit disappointed they didn't continue through about the 20th century; i'd love to see age of empire's take on the gilded age and the first world war. after three games about building empires, it'd be interesting to see one handle trying to prevent them collapsing as many did during that time. maybe someday!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

drkeiscool posted:

Quoting this again to say that AoE2:DE is currently on sale (33% off).

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Aoe3 DE was a broken piece of poo poo on launch day and the only steam game I’ve ever returned. AoE2 DE is fantastic though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's really good and there's a lot going on including a $30K world cup soon!

And also contribute to the thread!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Catastrophe90 posted:

(including a bug where the game wipes everything in the C: drive).

Ah I see they are proudly carrying the tradition started by Myth 2 back in the day!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Age of the Ring, that big BFME2 mod I efforted about a while back just released their newest version. Its biggest features are the addition of the Woodland Realms aka moar elfs, a big surprise update to Erebor and a completely new AI. I'm especially looking forward to that last one, because BFME2's bots are pretty miserable to play against, ignoring your units and beelining straight towards your resource buildings. This new one apparently engages your armies, uses hero abilities and spellbook powers, and expands its base effectively. The update also includes a host of smaller fixes and new art.

They've also got a guide to installing and running all of the BFME games here: https://forums.revora.net/topic/105190-bfme1bfme2rotwk-games-download-installation-guide/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Skylords Reborn, a fan-run resurrection of Battleforge just came out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ1DfYM7eIk

Battleforge was a card-based RTS made by the makers of the original Spellforce games that came out, like, a decade ago before eventually getting discontinued and shut down by EA. Obviously inpired by Magic the Gathering, the game features four different colours (Fire, Ice, Dark, Nature) as well as, later, hybrid factions, each with their own set of units, emplacements and spells. It's got singleplayer and co-op campaigns, PVP and a whole host of player-made scenarios and the current devs plan to support the game with new content and events. I really enjoyed Spellforce back in the day and am looking forward to diving back in! The whole thing's completely free and available at:

https://www.skylords.eu/

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Never played battleforge, how is it?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mjolnerd posted:

Never played battleforge, how is it?

I guess the Battle for Middle Earth games would be the closest analogue? Mixed with something like Warcraft. Infantry-type units come in small battalions while bigger monsters come in singles and most units have abilities or traits that set them apart. You take whatever deck you've built into a game and capture resource points and choose their elements to spawn units and abilities. Higher-tier stuff have higher Elemental Orb requirements, up to four, often in different combinations. For example, most T3 Frost units would require three captured Frost Orbs to summon, but a few only require one Frost and two of any other element, so there's a lot of deck-building possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Mordja posted:

I guess the Battle for Middle Earth games would be the closest analogue? Mixed with something like Warcraft. Infantry-type units come in small battalions while bigger monsters come in singles and most units have abilities or traits that set them apart. You take whatever deck you've built into a game and capture resource points and choose their elements to spawn units and abilities. Higher-tier stuff have higher Elemental Orb requirements, up to four, often in different combinations. For example, most T3 Frost units would require three captured Frost Orbs to summon, but a few only require one Frost and two of any other element, so there's a lot of deck-building possibilities.

my experience so far...

go to website, it redirects to their forums where they have a pinned post on how to get going.

First things first, create account... the form isn't great, but its fine, password requirement is above most game requirements, but fine no problems, standard account creation with email confirmation.

Then the all important client install...Download game files and then separately the installer... okay, fine, three links to choose from, google drive, mega and mediafire.. click on google drive, but the upload limit has been reached... okay, no problem go to mega and it downloads fine. Next are the game files, which is a 4+GB 7zip. Google drive limit reached again, so go to mega, where if you're not a premium member, it fails after the first 2GB are downloaded, onto mediafire, which seemed to work fine.

While not a HUGE pain in the rear end, it's still enough of a pain in the rear end that it will definitely prevent people from playing.

the game once installed works well and looks good enough only issue I've encountered so far is a disappearing mouse in full screen so I have to play windowed.

onto the gameplay... PvE in my RTS? I'll pass. straight to PVP we go!

Fiddled through the menus to figure out how to collect 2 free PVP decks that you can use, I chose a purple/orange and an orange/blue.

First game, the map put me behind a wall that you have to open to get your units out of. made some purple archers and ran to a resource node and built a 100pt resource extractor. I made 5 units of archers and ran up to the middle of the map where my opponent (red) had already started taking the center resource nodes. He had a single unit and I had 5 groups of archers, boom! what a weenie, I'll take this newb. opponent shoots a fireball and spawns 2-3 larger units which immediately destroy my archers. my resource expansion and soon after my main are quickly burned into the ground.

so far, fun experience once you get past the fiddly install process. I'll post again after I get a few more matches in.