Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Modo has had more updates in the last year than like the entire previous decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

Arena feels miles ahead visually.
At least until anyone plays any rare or mythic ever.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't know why you'd call Arena gacha since Magic basically invented the gameplay based lootbox. If anything, gacha games should be called Magic games!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

whydirt posted:

I don't know why you'd call Arena gacha since Magic basically invented the gameplay based lootbox. If anything, gacha games should be called Magic games!

you're right

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For better or for worse, arena is cargo cult supercell gacha poo poo:
- daily quests
- dual currency
- pay extra for cosmetics
- mmt / ladders

But, it also looks way better and is getting all the attention. In fact, I'm amazed they're still investing enough in modo to keep releasing the sets let alone adding poo poo like commander voting. Historically wotc hasn't had the bandwidth to develop more than one meaningful feature per 2 years or so, so to keep two entire apps up and running is impressive for them.

I've also thought this. I've mostly played pauper and occasionally drafted one of the sets exclusive to mtgo (the master's sets) and I assumed they'd just let mtgo die with Arena getting popular. I do greatly prefer playing on Arena, though. It would be cool if they could combine the platforms and port people's digital objects to Arena, although I'm sure that would make a small number of very vocal people angry. But I've been pleasantly surprised.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't think MTGO is going anywhere any time soon. It's still the only way to play a bunch of formats and likely will be for quite some time.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Someday there will be a "disable all animations" option, and all will be right with the world.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bust Rodd posted:

What is your metric? I find MODO to be inscrutable. I can barely tell what cards are in play. Arena feels miles ahead visually.

Any metric, really.
They both require you to have encyclopedic knowledge of the art when watching, but MTGO at least puts a few words out for you that are even readable at higher resolutions.
When I watch Arena I have no clue what's happening because everything's moving around the screen being all animated with no log to reference back to. Arena also doesn't let you pause if you have no possible response so sometimes things just happen and I have no idea why as I'm frantically looking for insight. MTGO the graveyard is at least visible always.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh and for all the poo poo MTGO gets about functionality it took me days to install arena because it can't handle split drives.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My understanding is that the goal of MTGO is to emulate the tabletop game as closely as possible in a digital client, while the goal of MTG:A is to provide an experience specifically made for the digital environment that doesn’t necessarily correlate 1:1 with what the physical game is offering.

I can’t really watch any MTG content, physical or digital, because I can never keep track of what everything does. The only thing I miss from when I was into Hearthstone was being able to watch the video content because all the cards are super simple and the text is in big letters so I can parse them in less than a second.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 16, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nah, MTGA hasn't changed anything about the game besides streamlining response windows, it's just supposed to be more visually appealing (and streamable) to appeal to the large crowd of people who are used to such and aren't going to put up with MTGO's sparse appearance. And shift to a f2p model.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Someday there will be a "disable all animations" option, and all will be right with the world.

oh you sweet summer child. that's not how f2p games work. if they let you disable that stuff, how are they going to entice you into buying cosmetics?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’d be okay with mandatory unskippable animations if they looked cool, but the ones in Arena are pretty lovely. A lot of the ones that have a model pop out of the card look exactly like the old Donkey Kong cartoon.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

HootTheOwl posted:

Arena also doesn't let you pause if you have no possible response so sometimes things just happen and I have no idea why as I'm frantically looking for insight. MTGO the graveyard is at least visible always.

Left ctrl for full control mode. Not that it will do much for you if you don't have any plays...you can bluff having an instant is about it.

Also, I think twitch has some kind of plug-in that actually lets you hover over cards on the stream and see a blown up card image.

MTGO looks like regurgitated dog poo poo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magic Underwear posted:

Left ctrl for full control mode. Not that it will do much for you if you don't have any plays...you can bluff having an instant is about it.

Also, I think twitch has some kind of plug-in that actually lets you hover over cards on the stream and see a blown up card image.

They're both ugly. One just doesn't care and the other clutters the screen with ugly poo poo.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Magic Underwear posted:

They need a true bluff button though. Full control mode looks different than having an instant available. Also it’s stupid/hilarious that Arena shows you what your opponents mouse is hovering over.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh and for all the poo poo MTGO gets about functionality it took me days to install arena because it can't handle split drives.

This is a well known Achilles heel of the software, it's made for dum dum's like me so I can't gently caress it up.

Once you start installing on other/split drives you might as well start using solid fuel rockets to get to work in the morning.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno I think Arena is the best thing to happen to magic in like 5 years and it’s pretty much the only thing keeping the game alive during the pandemic. If we only had MTGO poo poo firing right now the streaming scene would be totally dead. Zoomers have literally zero tolerance for pre-2001 interfaces.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PleasantDirge posted:

This is a well known Achilles heel of the software, it's made for dum dum's like me so I can't gently caress it up.

Once you start installing on other/split drives you might as well start using solid fuel rockets to get to work in the morning.

Ok but when it says "where would you like to install" and I tell it "D:, my external drive with the space and not C:, the tiny drive that came with the laptop" it doesn't keep filling up my C drive with garbage.
I have had to make zero junction boxes to make MTGO work. I have to make two new ones every few weeks with Arena.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

They need a true bluff button though. Full control mode looks different than having an instant available. Also it’s stupid/hilarious that Arena shows you what your opponents mouse is hovering over.

I kind of like the highlight on mouse over lol.

Every method of playing MTG has its own set of tells and quirks. How often have you been playing against someone and they draw and immediately check their yard to see what they can Snapcaster back? Or they pile/partition their mana into stacks to see if they can leave Cryptic up and do other stuff? Dealing with the priority passer and mouse over is just Arena’s version of that imo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno I think Arena is the best thing to happen to magic in like 5 years and it’s pretty much the only thing keeping the game alive during the pandemic. If we only had MTGO poo poo firing right now the streaming scene would be totally dead. Zoomers have literally zero tolerance for pre-2001 interfaces.

I don't think any of this is true.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think any of this is true.

zoomers killed my dog

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
MTGO looks horrible and feels archaic and I'd never have played Standard if it wasn't for Arena, which I'm sure is true of a lot of people.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
GUI interfaces were a mistake

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ya casuals and normies love Arena. It’s technically the same game, but having matchmaking, F2P stuff and an easy interface makes a world of difference to people who only really play kitchen table.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Ya casuals and normies love Arena. It’s technically the same game, but having matchmaking, F2P stuff and an easy interface makes a world of difference to people who only really play kitchen table.

Your discounting the fact that Arena is actually very colorful and visually engaging and MTGO is like trying watch a game of magic being played through a foggy window. Most people like the pets and emotes and animations because they don’t hyper-goon brain and having a little dog or demon hang out with you while you cast spells is cool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It goes without saying casuals and normies like colours and animals.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, it looks quite a bit more accessible, even disregarding the animations (goons have a weird thing about animations too, honestly). It being F2P is a plus in this case because it ends up being cheaper than both MTGO and paper Magic, especially if you're not American.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I like arena because for $50/set I can get enough wcs to craft whatever I need and there aren't any real-world considerations on the prices of any particular card.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
at a very basic level it's much much easier to follow the action on arena when streamed and MODO just doesn't have that readability -- especially when you don't know the cards being played. even if arena didn't have all the flashy bits, it's still just a whole lot clearer.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't entirely understand the arguments that MODO is unclear. It's ugly as hell, but I don't think it is particularly hard to figure out what's going on.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

those drat normies and casuals, ruining it for the rest of us?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I never said they ruined it. In fact the game would probably be significantly worse if Arena's playerbase was just MTGO's playerbase.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HootTheOwl posted:

MTGO installer does this and I've literally never had a problem with admin issues on this computer, ever

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok but when it says "where would you like to install" and I tell it "D:, my external drive with the space and not C:, the tiny drive that came with the laptop" it doesn't keep filling up my C drive with garbage.
I have had to make zero junction boxes to make MTGO work. I have to make two new ones every few weeks with Arena.

God bless you for thinking I understand anything to do with that second paragraph, I agree that it does sound like a lot of extra work

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fadam posted:

I don't entirely understand the arguments that MODO is unclear. It's ugly as hell, but I don't think it is particularly hard to figure out what's going on.

i mean, following magic requires interpreting a lot of visual information, and arena is designed to convey that visual information better than modo does

ugly means its hard to follow

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

are people on this page talking about "casuals" in a derogatory way
because if so i need to get my Vote for Pedro t-shirt before i go to the korn concert with my friends from luelinks because apparently it's two thousand loving five

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

evilweasel posted:

i mean, following magic requires interpreting a lot of visual information, and arena is designed to convey that visual information better than modo does

ugly means its hard to follow

I just don't think that's the case. You're looking at a bunch of rows of rectangles on top of each other, either you recognize them from the art/name and know what's going on, or you don't and don't.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

are people on this page talking about "casuals" in a derogatory way
because if so i need to get my Vote for Pedro t-shirt before i go to the korn concert with my friends from luelinks because apparently it's two thousand loving five

I mean you could just read the page to see that no, nobody is saying anything mean about casuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, Arena does kinda suck in terms of how bad the client is, it installed on my C: drive and I had to move it to another one for it to load properly for whatever reason. A friend of mine had a similar issue too.