Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Please disney, stop with the jedi stuff. The show is much more interesting when it stays away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The show has been headed for Jedi Stuff since the last minute of the pilot.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
In a surprise episode, baby yoda is stolen away in a rogue spaceship:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/16/21569387/spacex-crew-1-dragon-baby-yoda-zero-g-indicator

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

jng2058 posted:

She has two new ones that she used in Rebels.

Those are probably (though not for certain) in the rubble on Malachor. Last we saw her, she's carrying a staff and wearing a cloak cut noticably differently from the "I'm a Jedi shhhhh" brown robe.

I am a huge fan of her, but I'm half hoping she's chilling in a homestead, and tells him to immediately gently caress off, she doesn't want any part of this. But she tells him that maybe he can find help on Lothal.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 16, 2020

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Please disney, stop with the jedi stuff. The show is much more interesting when it stays away

If the show ends with anything other than this I'll be disappointed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MrMojok posted:

How do these tracking fobs work?

Pretty well it seems.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

Pretty well it seems.

They're basically just the compass from Pirates of the Caribbean

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I get a feeling that it seems everyone in the galaxy is chipped like your dog or cat and the fobs can be tuned to a particular chip.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I get a feeling that it seems everyone in the galaxy is chipped like your dog or cat and the fobs can be tuned to a particular chip.

That would at least be more plausible, but baby yoda's info was like "he's 50 and was last seen *gestures vaguely back and to the left*, that should be more than enough info"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teek posted:

“Disney”? This became weird as soon as the Prequels were made, see the Death Star conference room scene. And that featured many men who FOUGHT in the Clone Wars.

Yeah, the impression we get about the Clone Wars from Obi Wan in ANH is very vague, but you feel like Jedi are a scarce and obscure band of eremite warrior monks but nope they were all general officers in the Clone Wars and there were like 20 thousand of them. What we are told about the Clone Wars in the OT isn't clear but it certainly didn't sound like what we saw in the prequels. There never should have been more than 100 Jedi at a time, ever.

Also, if you are of an age to have Thought About Star Wars before 1999 - what did you think the Clone Wars were? I figured the Emperor showed up with a whole clone army and took over the Republic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The original movie establishes that Ben served a senator as a general in the Clone Wars. Also that the Jedi were the “guardians of peace and justice in the republic”. Sure doesn’t sound like a bunch of hermits to me.

The stupid fascist new model army officer looking to impress his boss by sneering at a guy in a spooky black cloak isn’t a credible source as to what people know about the Jedi. Tarkin, who is (like Ben) old enough to remember the republic, isn’t at all skeptical of the Jedi powers of Vader and treats them as a fact of life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Also that the Jedi were the “guardians of peace and justice in the republic”.

Well we KNOW that ain't true

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
I mentioned this the last time this came up but in 2013 I visited China and met 20 year olds who genuinely had no idea Tiananmen Square happened. History is told by the winners.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Well we KNOW that ain't true

Ben “certain point of view” Kenobi

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Paddyo posted:

If the show ends with anything other than this I'll be disappointed.

This is the way

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Good interview with Katee about the process of returning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiwA0ebw11k

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah, the impression we get about the Clone Wars from Obi Wan in ANH is very vague, but you feel like Jedi are a scarce and obscure band of eremite warrior monks but nope they were all general officers in the Clone Wars and there were like 20 thousand of them. What we are told about the Clone Wars in the OT isn't clear but it certainly didn't sound like what we saw in the prequels. There never should have been more than 100 Jedi at a time, ever.

Also, if you are of an age to have Thought About Star Wars before 1999 - what did you think the Clone Wars were? I figured the Emperor showed up with a whole clone army and took over the Republic.

I was genuinely surprised that the clones turned up on the Republic's side.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

I absolutely figured the clones were going to be the army the Republic had to fight. That it turned out the clones were the Republic force and the enemy was actually robots was... weird. Although I guess in the end the clones were still kinda the evil army as well? The prequels were a mess.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If the last four years have taught me anything, it’s extremely easy for a powerful government to obfuscate, bury, and outright lie about the truth and get the population to buy it wholesale without question. So yeah, I have no problem imagining the Empire destroying all mention of the Jedi and turning them from fact to myth.

The galaxy had 20+ years of Sheev screaming FAKE HOLONEWS and I WON THE CLONE WAR.

The one thing Trump was good for - making Shreev's Jedi propaganda seem gritty and realistic.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
On a recent rewatch of the original trilogy my favorite retrospective on the prequels was how much Obi-Wan talked about Anakin being really capable, but nothing about his morality. And Luke just taking to heart that his father must have been a good man and a hero and all that while the Jedi who knew him just....didn't engage with that at all.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

zoux posted:

That was pretty much what I had always envisioned-- some sort of clone army was the aggressors.

As far as knowledge of the Jedi, one thing that's easy to lose sight of is that the size of the galaxy has got to be nearly incomprehensible. In the novelization of The Phantom Menace which used to be canon, no idea if the novelizations are anymore, it is said that at the time of the story there are only about 10,000 Jedi. And people in the Jedi order are a bit alarmed because this is the smallest number they've had in thousands of years, and the number is shrinking rapidly as time goes on.

Now, granted that many people in the core systems would likely have known about Jedi and possibly seen one at some point, it's also possible that someone who is an average Joe living their life in Hutt space, or way the hell out in the Outer Rim, knows nothing at all about the Jedi. And barely anything about the Republic. Like, they may be dimly aware that something called the Republic is the governing body in the galaxy, but there's no representation of it at all on Tatooine. The way that slavery is illegal in the Old Republic but rampant on Tatooine, because nobody gives a poo poo about Tatooine, just like nobody gives a poo poo about probably tens of thousands of other systems.

The large scale battles of the Clone Wars are likely fought on and over a very small number of key planets and systems, with millions of others seeing no action at all. And as somebody said up above, at the time of this show the Jedi purge happened ~31 years ago, and about 22 solid years of that was Palpatine's reign, during which he probably denies that they ever even existed and make every effort to scrub all references to them out of everything. For Joe McScrapScavenger on Tatooine or similar planet, his first brush with any kind of non-local authority is probably seeing imperial stormtroopers garrisons pop up years after the conclusion of the clone wars.

But then of course there is also the matter of the "holonet". How extensive was it, what was it used for, etc.? Almost every episode of the Clone Wars TV show opened with what looked like a Holonet newsreel about the status of the war, but this is a narrative device for the us, viewers. I don't know that we ever see any such broadcast or any kind of news being sent out everywhere. These people don't even seem to have books.

And of course slave child Anakin, living on Tatooine, knew about Jedi and their laser swords. So basically... it's confusing and inconsistent, I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

zoux posted:

Basically what the Zahn books were suggesting about an evil group of cloners. I don't think I connected the Clone Wars directly to the Emperor taking over either but I can't remember.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anakin thinks of the Jedi as a fairy tale who can’t be killed and who he dreams will someday end slavery.

Imperial propaganda, if Admiral Motti is any indication, doesn’t insist that the Jedi never existed, just that they were traitors, that they are now all dead except for Vader, and that their magic was bunkum.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I thought it was just the camera or makeup but god drat Katee Sackhoff has an enormous mouth.

Would still die 4 her tho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also, unless you were directly affected by the purge or the clone wars, and under the age of something like 15, you probably didn't pay attention or care at the time, so ~32 years later, you've got someone who's 47 years old and believed that Jedi are just a fairy tale.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

I didn't really think a lot about it, but I think my "go to" assumption was that some kind of evil clone force attacked the Republic. Kenobi and the Jedi fought against it and beat it. Then in the confusion/rebuilding Palpatine took power possibly by promising to build a huge defense force so evil clones could never again be a threat. Your basic Security > Freedom argument. Hell, up to A New Hope the Galactic Senate was apparently still a thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sash! posted:

I'm always a little surprised that lightsabers aren't more common in the Star Wars. Yeah, there's the whole "dangerous to use" thing, but that's never really slowed anyone down before with anything else dangerous to the operator.

There were probably catalogs that you could order licensed reproductions of all your favorite Jedi's lightsabers.

The new canon recently returned the Tapani sector and its "saber rakes". At least with how the old canon described it, Tapani lightfoils are based on an old Sith design but use cheaper materials and worse craftsmanship that make them weaker than proper lightsabers. They're still lethal to people, but you're probably not going to be slicing apart incoming speeders or starfighters with them.

In the original canon as well, making a "real" lightsaber required you to be Force-sensitive because the individual crystals are all unique and you need to be extremely careful in fine-tuning the components to build a working blade. It wouldn't be until after the permanent death of Palpatine and the foundation of the New Jedi Order that the resurgent Sith would develop reliable, identical synthetic crystals and an assembly line for mass producing lightsabers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

I figured it was just clones replacing high ranking officials and manipulating policy which lead to wars. Then the jedi would go around and find clones using their mind reading and what not.

It being a literal army of clones was pretty dumb.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The other thing about if people in the galaxy knew about/actually saw Jedi is that apparently there are officially over 20 million sapient species in the SW universe, and over 50 million inhabited star systems (which means that it's incredibly empty- the Milky Way has a density of over 100 billion stars). Even if each system only had one inhabitable planet (not the case since there have been stories with multi-planet solar systems that are colonized in various SW medium) that would mean that the chance of anyone actually believing that there are supposed wizard/soldier/cops on the planet of bureaucrats that you have heard of but never have actually seen is probably sparse at best. Chances of actually SEEING a Jedi is statistically zero. In the end, the jedi have no impact on the vast, vast majority of the galaxy's people and therefore the majority of those people probably give no thought whatsoever about jedi except for people who are enthusiasts about history or mythology. Star Wars is a lived in place, and people's lives have more important things happening in them to think about such things.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I figured it was just clones replacing high ranking officials and manipulating policy which lead to wars. Then the jedi would go around and find clones using their mind reading and what not.

That's the weirdest explanation for the Clone Wars I have ever heard

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How old were you when you thought of this lmao. My idea of the clone wars when I was like 10 was clone armies on both sides at war who were also in an arms race, with the turning point happening when the evil faction managed to clone "false" Jedi, forcing the real Jedi to finally join the war effort.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1327806477923323904?s=20

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/mandalorian-disney-fire-gina-carano-tweet-democrats-masks.amp

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I know people have been trying to justify it for years and emphasize the rarity and scale and whatnot (which scriptwriters, directors and authors refuse to account for ever), but you can't crash your speeder into someone's garage on Coruscant without meeting someone a Jedi orphaned. They were definitely a stick and/or carrot used by the republic and there are plenty enough species living long lifespans and plenty of royal lines and beauracrat types that, if not completely replaced by the empire, probably had to record dealing with Jedi and/or still remember having done so.

Plus the goto line is the May the Force be With You. I dont think they're referencing witches from Dathomir there.

I feel like the answer is that moisture farmers have lovely schools and that one imperial officer was an antivaxxer a jedi denier.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

How old were you when you thought of this lmao. My idea of the clone wars when I was like 10 was clone armies on both sides at war who were also in an arms race, with the turning point happening when the evil faction managed to clone "false" Jedi, forcing the real Jedi to finally join the war effort.

I think I was like 12 when ep1 came out, so my theory was definitely from before that. :v:

Why would you need clones as soldiers when you can literally build droids? That poo poo always made no sense to me, even as a kid.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 16, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think I was like 12 when ep1 came out, so my theory was definitely from before that. :vv:

Why would you need clones as soldiers when you can literally build droids?

Because, as it actually turned out in the movies, clones are superior lol. And then imagine if a faction figured out a way to manufacture clones that are force sensitive. Look at how many droids a handful of Jedi are able to take on in the PT.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Please tell us Gina what's REALLY going on :allears:

Cara is totally a goner

teagone posted:

I was born in 85 and grew up during the Card Game/Dark Forces/X-Wing/Shadows of the Empire Star Wars desert of the 90s, and I don't remember anyone actually caring that much what the Clone Wars actually were.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hazo posted:

Please tell us Gina what's REALLY going on :allears:

Cara is totally a goner

Unless they’ve already killed the character off this season, they should just recast it for season 3. They can easily find a similar looking actress and nobody will care too much.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or just find some other ex rebel trooper to befriend

I've played the swrpg, they're almost as common as imperial defectors

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

I was born in 85 and grew up during the Card Game/Dark Forces/X-Wing/Shadows of the Empire Star Wars desert of the 90s, and I don't remember anyone actually caring that much what the Clone Wars actually were.

I was born in 86. I always had a fascination with the Clone Wars because of a Boba Fett figure I was given whose packaging on the back briefly described the Mandalorian Supercommandos facing off against the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars which really sparked my imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lol at this guy theorycrafting while George Lucas goes “it’s a war but there’s clones”

Cartoon Man posted:

They can easily find a similar looking actress

Doubt