Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
Small attention-to-detail thing I appreciate:

Venti's fake-rear end Vision doesn't ping for the fragments.

It's all the thought put into tiny things like that that makes me like this game, I think.

(Even if it does mean I need to swap out instead of just flying around everywhere...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

King of Bleh posted:

Is the melt boost applying to all three hits here? I've been assuming that melt/vaporize were good for one hit only, does it apply to the entire triggering attack?

I'm still not entirely clear on the exact mechanics, but I do know multiple reactions can occur off the same "seed" element. Something about weak/strong "auras" (i.e. ele status), where the strong type can persist even after a reaction.

Not sure if that's happening here though, because I think even strong auras are only good for two instances, and it definitely applied to all three due to the latter two hits being identical. Maybe the three hits occur so fast that there's a window where it applies to everything? In my experience, I've had Chong's burst apply multiple freezes off of one hydro aura.

Gonna have to send KeqingMains on the case.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Beidou absolutely mulches every creature it spawns besides the fuckin birds. Slapping 600% damage counters + electroshock every 7.5 seconds just wipes out the crabs and poo poo.

Well I did just pull her and there are a bunch of EXP books to get from the event. Could just have her steal Razor's weapon and artifacts even though I don't think Gladiator's is the most ideal on her. Was already wanting to get her to a decent level anyways just due to how she synergizes with Childe.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Beidou absolutely mulches every creature it spawns besides the fuckin birds. Slapping 600% damage counters + electroshock every 7.5 seconds just wipes out the crabs and poo poo.

But the birds are the real boss !

They go down pretty quickly with Beidou burst with an Archer to trigger it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well I did just pull her and there are a bunch of EXP books to get from the event. Could just have her steal Razor's weapon and artifacts even though I don't think Gladiator's is the most ideal on her. Was already wanting to get her to a decent level anyways just due to how she synergizes with Childe.

i don't think she's really going to improve your Oceanid times over Razor, especially when he can easily kill the flying birds with his held skill while she can't.

raising her for other reasons is fine ofc, not really sure how people rate her Childe synergy yet

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ytlaya posted:

I mean that building up pity on the weapon banner doesn't really seem like a less valid idea that building up pity on the character banner, since it seems like the same mechanic of "at some point you'll hit pity and have some limited control over when that is that you can align with a character/weapon you want."

"Never roll on the weapon banner" seems predicated on someone preferring to pull characters to pulling a weapon (which is admittedly most of the time), but it's not hard to imagine a situation where someone would rather get a 5* weapon than a 5* character (or constellations for a 4*).

I know that if I could roll on a specific 5* weapon then there are some I'd rather have than a 5* character. The gravestone comes to mind. The problem is that that's not how the weapon banner works.

If you look under details, there's this blurb:

What this means is let's say you're rolling on the current banner, which has Skyward Harp and Memory of Dust, and let's say you just got childe and you want the harp, because it's bis for him. You pull out your credit card, and your rolls, excluding the random junk, are: 70 pulls, pity 5* that isn't either of them. 78 pulls, pity Dust. Another 145 pulls and you have another different 5* and another Dust. You can repeat this cycle forever. You cannot guarantee a specific weapon because of the rules. This is why you shouldn't roll on the weapon banners unless you want the 4* weapons. The last banner had Sacrificial weapons, and they were really great. I rolled a couple of times to get a sword for XQ because getting a reset on his e is amazing. On this banner, Rust is Childe's runner up bis, and if you roll enough you've got a pretty okay shot at getting it.

Do not roll on weapon banners for getting 5* weapons. This exact thing has broken even streamers. People who get paid to do this don't do it because they aren't making enough money back for the big moment. The reason MTashed threw his big fit and went F2P and swore off of gacha was because he was rolling for a specific 5* weapon on the last banner, I believe it was the claymore, and after $10k or so he still didn't have one.

We're not being assholes or prioritizing waifus or whatever by telling people to forget the 5* weapons exist. We're warning you that 5* weapons are a level beyond even a whale's game. They're leviathan tier bullshit, do not waste your money on chasing them. If you wanna spend some pulls to get 4* weapons with the expectation that you will eventually get a random 5* weapon, then yeah, go for it. But go in knowing how it works.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 16, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bruceski posted:

On the contrary, it's very helpful when I have 4 left, thought I checked the whole zone, and want to see what else is included. Unfortunately once you get the first 7 you can't check that. Fortunately the tooltip for it had as an example the area I was wondering about. Now I know to take notes on the rest before I begin searching.

I'd just looked around Starsnatch Cliff, not Starfall Lake next to it. Warp to the waypoint and everything's showing up there.

If you don’t “finish” the quest for the zone then the blue spots stay up on the minimap even after you get 7.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You shouldn’t forget five star weapons exist, you should forget specific five star weapons exist. Like it’s 37.5% chance for each banner one and 25% chance for anything else.

It’s probably best to make sure you want either of the rate up one. And won’t lose your mind when you get a Xiangling weapon instead.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you don’t “finish” the quest for the zone then the blue spots stay up on the minimap even after you get 7.

I got the rewards out of the event UI deal and they're still showing up for me, although I can't ping the larger area outlines now.

Also isn't there supposed to be a way to spend resin on this event? Or is that coming later?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

this current weapon banner sucks an impossible amount of rear end

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the next one is the same, because it's a possible bis spear for DPS Zhongli and a claymore you would only use on Noelle or Xinyan

i still can't tell if Xinyan is actually good but at this point i think elemental shield supports are kinda op

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

Is the melt boost applying to all three hits here? I've been assuming that melt/vaporize were good for one hit only, does it apply to the entire triggering attack?

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm still not entirely clear on the exact mechanics, but I do know multiple reactions can occur off the same "seed" element. Something about weak/strong "auras" (i.e. ele status), where the strong type can persist even after a reaction.

Not sure if that's happening here though, because I think even strong auras are only good for two instances, and it definitely applied to all three due to the latter two hits being identical. Maybe the three hits occur so fast that there's a window where it applies to everything? In my experience, I've had Chong's burst apply multiple freezes off of one hydro aura.

Gonna have to send KeqingMains on the case.

Just tested in game and looks like this is the case. Interestingly, melt will always apply to the first two hits, while using a "strong" pyro skill will amplify all three. The chart in the link from reddit shows the duration of status effects from the different skills. Ones with a longer duration (~10) are considered strong. The best ones seems to be Bennet's Q and his level 1 E, Xiangling's first hit from Guoba, and Amber's charged attack (lol).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

dogsicle posted:

the next one is the same, because it's a possible bis spear for DPS Zhongli and a claymore you would only use on Noelle or Xinyan

i still can't tell if Xinyan is actually good but at this point i think elemental shield supports are kinda op

Is Noelle any good later on? I started using her for healing before I got the free Barbara and right now (AR25) she seems pretty great to me. Her shield thing lets me ignore most mechanics and she seems very tanky and does a lot of damage as well. Her heal isn’t that great anymore though so I just had to level Barbara up to replace my Traveler (who seems to suck really really bad???).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh right I'm sure I saw this being discussed some days ago but I don't remember the outcome if it was tested.

How does the 2-piece Gambler's set work on Childe? Is the 20% boost to Elemental Skill damage only applied to the explosion that happens when you stance switch or does it actually apply to the melee attacks?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Imo Xinyan will only work with Keqing or Razor (and Razor kind of likes ice better). Her shield is questionable for proccing vaporize and melt but will be good for overload.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I know that if I could roll on a specific 5* weapon then there are some I'd rather have than a 5* character. The gravestone comes to mind. The problem is that that's not how the weapon banner works.

What this means is let's say you're rolling on the current banner, which has Skyward Harp and Memory of Dust, and let's say you just got childe and you want the harp, because it's bis for him. You pull out your credit card, and your rolls, excluding the random junk, are: 70 pulls, pity 5* that isn't either of them. 78 pulls, pity Dust. Another 145 pulls and you have another different 5* and another Dust. You can repeat this cycle forever. You cannot guarantee a specific weapon because of the rules. This is why you shouldn't roll on the weapon banners unless you want the 4* weapons. The last banner had Sacrificial weapons, and they were really great. I rolled a couple of times to get a sword for XQ because getting a reset on his e is amazing. On this banner, Rust is Childe's runner up bis, and if you roll enough you've got a pretty okay shot at getting it.

Do not roll on weapon banners for getting 5* weapons. This exact thing has broken even streamers. People who get paid to do this don't do it because they aren't making enough money back for the big moment. The reason MTashed threw his big fit and went F2P and swore off of gacha was because he was rolling for a specific 5* weapon on the last banner, I believe it was the claymore, and after $10k or so he still didn't have one.

We're not being assholes or prioritizing waifus or whatever by telling people to forget the 5* weapons exist. We're warning you that 5* weapons are a level beyond even a whale's game. They're leviathan tier bullshit, do not waste your money on chasing them. If you wanna spend some pulls to get 4* weapons with the expectation that you will eventually get a random 5* weapon, then yeah, go for it. But go in knowing how it works.

I spent like a hundred bucks trying to get Klee's book for her after getting her without issues with relatively low free pulls. I didnt get it, I got two of the GSs though and a full slew of sacrificial weapons. The sacrificial sword, bows and book have gotten me more use than what the book would have gotten me.

It is insane how well the sword works on XQ, the bow is bar none the best for Diona. I'm sure that eventually a GS support unit will benefit from that too. I'm sad that there was no sac spear because hell it probably would have ended up being the best weapon for Zhongli too.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh right I'm sure I saw this being discussed some days ago but I don't remember the outcome if it was tested.

How does the 2-piece Gambler's set work on Childe? Is the 20% boost to Elemental Skill damage only applied to the explosion that happens when you stance switch or does it actually apply to the melee attacks?

Unless there's anything funky going on, it should only apply to the activation damage and the damage from hitting a riptide-debuffed target with melee. I think the skill description is pretty clear on what is considered what.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

gandlethorpe posted:

Just tested in game and looks like this is the case. Interestingly, melt will always apply to the first two hits, while using a "strong" pyro skill will amplify all three. The chart in the link from reddit shows the duration of status effects from the different skills. Ones with a longer duration (~10) are considered strong. The best ones seems to be Bennet's Q and his level 1 E, Xiangling's first hit from Guoba, and Amber's charged attack (lol).

Oh wow, this definitely causes me to reappraise Chongyun and other "flurry" style bursts that I was previously assuming were trash for vaporize/melt.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Even if you finish the blue spots stay up. But the ability to see what area the blue spots are in doesn't. I'd been limiting my search to about half of the actual area, never going far enough west to see more on the minimap..

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is Noelle any good later on? I started using her for healing before I got the free Barbara and right now (AR25) she seems pretty great to me. Her shield thing lets me ignore most mechanics and she seems very tanky and does a lot of damage as well. Her heal isn’t that great anymore though so I just had to level Barbara up to replace my Traveler (who seems to suck really really bad???).
If you stack def and level breastplate her heal ramps up pretty hard, without the downside of getting you wet, provided you're in a fight that you can keep your shield up for the full duration each time. If you have C1 her burst turns into basically a full party heal, also. Noelle has been my main healer for a couple weeks now and I'm very happy with her.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Framboise posted:

Seems like it. The quest has a timeout on it so I assume it'll renew tomorrow?

Yes, I have three new 'collect meteors' quests today after completing all three yesterday

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, if you have her c1 she's a great healer and she's still pretty good without it

She needs leveled DEF artifacts though, she stops healing when the shield from her E skill falls off and her healing scales with DEF

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I was very confused when I read that the thread thought Oceanid was the hardest boss, because I had consistently roflstomped it every single time without issue.

Then I read that the thread thinks Lisa, the ranged electric caster with auto-homing attacks is C tier, and suddenly I found clarity

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phbokZejizQ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Then I read that the thread thinks Lisa, the ranged electric caster with auto-homing attacks is C tier, and suddenly I found clarity
You can't blame them, Genshin Qanon told them she was bad

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The fact that she trivializes 1 piece of content doesn't change the fact that she takes a lot more resources and effort to make her effective in other pieces of content like abyss and abyssal domains compared to Xiangling or Fischl.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That guy did the work and Lisa is his max level character. I actually believe him when he says she's good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 17, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

It's ok to like bad characters. It's also ok to not like bad characters.

It's ok.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also isn't there supposed to be a way to spend resin on this event? Or is that coming later?

Yeah I thought that too?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

as long as people know "bad" is in this case an oversimplification of "this character is resource-intensive" there shouldn't be much issue. that initial assumption pretty commonly creates issues though, which is unfortunate

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Looks like spending resin is coming with the next part of the event in a few days, yeah.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

dogsicle posted:

as long as people know "bad" is in this case an oversimplification of "this character is resource-intensive" there shouldn't be much issue. that initial assumption pretty commonly creates issues though, which is unfortunate

I mean this is true in general but in this particular instance I call Lisa bad because she feels awful to play as on top of everything else you said.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Sarsapariller posted:

I was very confused when I read that the thread thought Oceanid was the hardest boss, because I had consistently roflstomped it every single time without issue.

I assume that other people are like me and found her impossibly clunky to use. I didn't get any other Electro characters until ~AR37 and my only archer is Amber, so I've been avoiding Oceanid on account of Those drat Birds for a good while.

I tried it again today now that I have Beidou and ahahaha, nope, still costs me an unacceptable amount of my burst healing/revival foods. :cry:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

dogsicle posted:

How is any character more resource intensive than any other character? Am I missing the magical formula to pull the right weapon needed for specific characters? The boss that drops more than other bosses? The character who can combo on their own and doesn't need another one with a different element?

I haven't built up Lisa but if you look at say Noelle, who I have built up, she took the same resources every other character would take to level up and use effectively, the only difference is her level bonus isn't direct damage related but that doesn't change she takes the exact same effort to build up as anyone else.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Probably how Lisa only approaches being somewhat usable when you have appropriate gear, whereas a lot better characters are still fun and effective with suboptimal gear.

That guy's video is funny because he's spending so much effort trying to optimize the clunkiest skill in the game, when it'll always be a 16 second cooldown, easily interrupted mess.

Amber's the butt of a lot of tier list jokes, but honestly Lisa's the real bottom tier hero.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

nessin posted:

How is any character more resource intensive than any other character? Am I missing the magical formula to pull the right weapon needed for specific characters? The boss that drops more than other bosses? The character who can combo on their own and doesn't need another one with a different element?

I haven't built up Lisa but if you look at say Noelle, who I have built up, she took the same resources every other character would take to level up and use effectively, the only difference is her level bonus isn't direct damage related but that doesn't change she takes the exact same effort to build up as anyone else.

It means certain characters will always do less damage when compared to certain others, even when both are given the same amount of resources. See: Razor > Beidou. But ultimately this disparity doesn't really affect your ability to clear content in the vast majority of cases.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Bland posted:

It's ok to like bad characters. It's also ok to not like bad characters.

It's ok.

Yeah I love Childe. :v:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

I vouch for this. Learned it the hard way going for the claymore last banner... I knew the odds and still did it...

5* #1 - Jade Spear (not even rank up)
5* #2 - Lost Prayer
5* #3 - Wolf's Gravestone (thankfully)

I have a few regrets about doing that... :)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

nessin posted:

It's more that getting an extra DPS character up to viability is very resource intensive, since they need to be 70+ with a 70+ weapon and level 6 talents. Getting a support character to 60 and giving them a couple talent ranks is not. Making Lisa high enough level to deal adequate damage and not get instagibbed by the murderbirds is not as good as getting a couple more levels with your main or second dps. You can always just retry Oceanid and hope for no birds, but abyss difficulty is fixed and a couple levels can mean another star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's particularly clear when you compare the tier list toppers to other characters; Venti clears rooms without even being a DPS character when you gear him moderately well, and Klee is really easy to make into a murder machine, while outside of favorable circumstances (like Oceanid) Lisa and Amber take a lot of effort to make them really effective, and they won't ever be as kill-y unless they're over-invested in and/or you neglect the others a lot.